Jets sign Tyrod Taylor

10 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

This is the best we could do ???  This guy is one more hit away from being out the entire season. There were much better options.

Brissett was never going to sign here with an excellent chance to start with NE. Same goes for Minshew with LV. So who were the better options? Tannehill? Wentz?

• Upvote 2

Just now, bicketybam said:

Brissett was never going to sign here with an excellent chance to start with NE. Same goes for Minshew with LV. So who were the better options? Tannehill? Wentz?

They have 2 guys who can play nfl football.  Would be great to groom another.  But this is an upgrade.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, JustInFudge said:

Uneducated, hmph?  I'm sorry, maybe you didnt know he's finished back to back seasons injured.  Maybe you dont remember him blaming his sh*tty season in GB on his thumb?  Maybe you dont remember him hobbling around camp because of his calf or maybe you dont remember him falling to the ground 4 plays into the season?  Then there is also this thing called age.  You're not the same at 41 as you were at 28, you're more....fragile. 

As I said he has only missed significant time one time in his whole career previous to being a Jet. That’s hardly fragile

A functional, but fragile, backup QB.

A net positive overall, given how horribly sub-par Wilson/Semien/Etc. were.

Of course, as other have said, now the PS/#3 QB might actually matter, given the age, and fragility, of our #1 and #2 QB's respectively.

Still hoping we pick a late-round prospect in the draft this year.  But I doubt it, Rodgers/Taylor is probably it for QB in 2024, with one of JD's nobodies on the PS, probably Rypien.

A career 61% guy.  Career 2+ to 1 TD/INT guy.  Career 88 QB Rating.  A .500 winning percentage in games he started. 

A definite upgrade and guy you can hope will win half his games if needed, that we all hope we never see take the field, lol.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Minshew or Brissett or trade for Sam Howell

Taylor sucks AND he can’t stay on the field.  At age 34 he also has zero upside.  Other than that, he’s great.

cool, but those guys signed where they have a chance to start.

so short of some jedi mind-meld, how exactly are you getting them to sign with the jets when aaron rodgers is here?

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Some of you guys crack me up. Complain you want a vet backup. We get one that’s good and still complain.

I like this signing. It’s exactly what we needed at backup QB.

You must be new to this board. If we ever win a super bowl half of this board will still find something to complain about...

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, viffer said:

If we ever win a super bowl half of this board will still find something to complain about...

Some of you certainly seem to truly believe that.

I'd love to see a Venn diagram of folks who post this particular sentiment and the folks who think every move the team makes is awesome and that always predict we're definitely going to the Playoffs/Super Bowl every year.

Seems for some folks it's easier/more comforting to aim their disappointment with literally always being wrong at their fellow fans, rather than the team.  Or at themselves and their misguided optimism/evaluations.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

2 years for 18 mill. Sounds expensive for Taylor but worth it just to get Zach Wilson off the roster

I seen it reported as up to $18M. So not sure how much in incentive for him to reach that 18 figure.

Jets to sign Tyrod Taylor

New York expected to sign Taylor to back up Aaron Rodgers. The Jets deal with with the former Giants backup, Taylor, is reportedly for two years and up to $18 million.

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:51 am ET

10 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

You’re wrong.

It’s a bad move.  Nothing to do with any bias or “schtick”.

He’s better than Zach Wilson, but ZW is Cal Ripken compared to Taylor in terms of durability 

Nothing I stated was factually incorrect.

I had a hunch your post would get hammered.  @Beerfish laid it out perfectly:

Good news and bad news for me.

The good news is that he is actually a decent quality backup QB.

The bad news is that he almost always gets hurt immediately after taking over the reigns for a team.

We need to have a guy as #3 with at least a pulse.

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A functional, but fragile, backup QB.

A net positive overall, given how horribly sub-par Wilson/Semien/Etc. were.

Of course, as other have said, now the PS/#3 QB might actually matter, given the age, and fragility, of our #1 and #2 QB's respectively.

Still hoping we pick a late-round prospect in the draft this year.  But I doubt it, Rodgers/Taylor is probably it for QB in 2024, with one of JD's nobodies on the PS, probably Rypien.

A career 61% guy.  Career 2+ to 1 TD/INT guy.  Career 88 QB Rating.  A .500 winning percentage in games he started. 

A definite upgrade and guy you can hope will win half his games if needed, that we all hope we never see take the field, lol.

It’s like my Uncle Stalls. Never spring for  a new car so always had two old beaters and would  drive the one that started that day. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Minshew or Brissett or trade for Sam Howell

Taylor sucks AND he can’t stay on the field.  At age 34 he also has zero upside.  Other than that, he’s great.

Both of those will look for a place with starting potential.  NY does not have that, outside of a hypothetical re-injury to a HOF QB.

You're looking at it from green-colored spectacles on how valuable potential starting QBs view us as a destination.   The only alternative is to massively overpay to get a potential starter to actively take a backup role, which I'm sure you'd be happy with?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

As I said he has only missed significant time one time in his whole career previous to being a Jet. That’s hardly fragile

I think the issue here is and what you're failing to realize is or at least how we see it differently is that recent history, which is more relevant to this particular conversation, disagrees w/ you.  What Rodgers did 12 years ago, means nothing about who Rodgers is today and unfortunately, he's quite often injured finishing his career in GB, injured and then starting his career w/ the Jets injured.  As we are having this conversation, he's rehabbing from a very serious injury which you have to treat very delicately especially at his age, because he's fragile. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

2 years for 18 mill. Sounds expensive for Taylor but worth it just to get Zach Wilson off the roster

Little more than what he was making with giants. Cap is rising, so will salaries. Backup qbs have been appreciated more around NFL within past few years. I think it would be very unlikely jets miss the playoffs last yr had they had Taylor instead of Zach. Even factoring few games Taylor missed. He was easily giants best qb last yr.

Sure he is more of an injury risk, because the guy actually is a competitor ( unlike Zach ). Poised under pressure. Big games and D rush pressure. Can count on him not to sack himself and curl into a ball on 3rd down when a D lineman yells boo 👻..

• Upvote 3