Mike Williams visiting Monday

On 3/15/2024 at 8:04 PM, LockeJET said:

Williams could potentially take a one year deal or no? Parlay a year with Rogers into a multi year deal the following season?

I wouldn’t offer more than a 2 yr deal with a team option for year 2.  He’s coming off an ACL and is about to be 30

I do think we’ll have bento overpay a tad to get him. But we could offer him more incentive wise.

We also offer him the better chance on a 1 year prove it type deal. A good OL. A HOF QB and no the pressure of being the go to guy all help our chance. Where we saw in CAR last year. They were clueless on how to use Thielen with young at QB.

We have discussed this before, but the state taxes for players are very complicated.   It also depends how they are paid-salary, bonus, etc.

A player is taxed where they play games and make money, and where they are domiciled.   I don’t think many of the players are stupid enough to domicile themselves in NJ.  Their goal should be to live somewhere else, vote there, have a drivers license there, and spend 185 days a year.  A place like Texas or Florida.  

So for a Jet, playing 8-9 games in NJ, plus a game in NY and MA, plus where ever else, is going to tag them with taxes.  Players don’t seem to mind playing for the 49ers, Rams or Chargers, for example, and their situation is worse.  No player is paying 0% state taxes because they play games in states with taxes.   But having your home team be in a low tax state definitely helps things.  

Jets vs Panthers for Williams and Clowney. 

Williams visiting the Jets Monday and Panthers Tuesday 

Clowney left his Panthers visit without a deal and is meeting the Jets Tuesday but he’s from the charlotte area.  

big week coming up!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Larz said:

No such thing. You have a starting X and a starting Z.  

Yep. CeeDee Lamb and Brandin Cooks get the same number of targets and plays designed for them. Same for Davante Adams and Jakobi Meyers, Stefon Diggs and Gabe Davis, etc. 

3 hours ago, extmenace said:

Saw that state income tax for NJ goes up 10.75 percent (these guys enter that territory) vs NC being a flat 4.75 percent. 

It goes by the state the game is played in but yes they pay more here ultimately 

1 minute ago, Doggin94it said:

Yep. CeeDee Lamb and Brandin Cooks get the same number of targets and plays designed for them. Same for Davante Adams and Jakobi Meyers, Stefon Diggs and Gabe Davis, etc. 

Rodgers loves throwing to his backs and TEs if you want to get into the target discussion 

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Rodgers loves throwing to his backs and TEs if you want to get into the target discussion 

Go take a look at the target distribution in Green Bay while Adams was there and tell me that Rodgers doesn't use a WR as a "No. 1" when there's an appropriately talented receiver on the roster

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Go take a look at the target distribution in Green Bay while Adams was there and tell me that Rodgers doesn't use a WR as a "No. 1" when there's an appropriately talented receiver on the roster

What are we arguing? That teams don’t refer to the WR as X and Z but #1 and #2 ?

Fans call it #1 and #2 not the teams. 

NFL rules 101. Teams need 7 players on the LOS. 

The X has to be on the LOS. The Z does not. The X and Z are different types of players. The X is a big guy that can beat press coverage without having the ability to go in motion or be off the LOS. 

This is basic sh*t. 

32 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

When did this become an income tax forum?  It’s not nearly as big a factor as you guys think it is.

why? Because Tyreek Hill chose to play with Tua instead of Zach?  That’s a tough decision 

Tyreek was in the process of building a mansion in Miami before he signed with the Dolphins! He was never coming here! 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Larz said:

This guy lol 

Saw that guy’s tweet earlier and he was saying that Douglas is going to try and get him signed, sealed and delivered tomorrow. I think what Schefter is reporting here is Williams’s agent saying it won’t be cheap. Saw an earlier tweet (I know) that the Jets wanted to go up to $8 mil per, but that probably won’t be enough considering what Ridley, etc got. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Saw that guy’s tweet earlier and he was saying that Douglas is going to try and get him signed, sealed and delivered tomorrow. I think what Schefter is reporting here is Williams’s agent saying it won’t be cheap. Saw an earlier tweet (I know) that the Jets wanted to go up to $8 mil per, but that probably won’t be enough considering what Ridley, etc got. 

He’s gone as far as saying it’s a physical and he’s going to sign.  Worst case scenario it gets dragged out for the week but as we see all the time if a guy leaves, they rarely circle back and sign 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Part of the Aaron Rodgers allure was supposed to be his magnetic recruiting aura. If he can’t close Mike Williams …..

That was always overblown but also before he tore his Achilles at age 39. 

yet another reason that injury was such a disaster for us. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Larz said:

He’s gone as far as saying it’s a physical and he’s going to sign.  Worst case scenario it gets dragged out for the week but as we see all the time if a guy leaves, they rarely circle back and sign 

I always feel like when Schefter runs a report up the flagpole, it’s always in service of the agent. There’s been a couple of rando Twitter accounts this offseason that have hit on some stuff, which is always fun. We’ll see what happens.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That was always overblown but also before he tore his Achilles at age 39. 

yet another reason that injury was such a disaster for us. 

Is the non plant foot Achilles of a QB not named Lamar Jackson nearly as important as the ACL of a WR?

I don't think so. I'm more concerned about Mike Williams ACL tbh.

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Is the non plant foot Achilles of a QB not named Lamar Jackson nearly as important as the ACL of a WR?

I don't think so. I'm more concerned about Mike Williams ACL tbh.

True 

but I just think people see injured old player and  that feels so less attractive all of a sudden 

also worried about Williams knee. It’s a gamble. 

Personally I am fine if we miss out on Williams.  Boyd is an acceptable option. There are also trade options that would work too, along with drafting a WR. 

My guess is, Williams signs back with the Chargers. I wouldn’t overpay, but seems like the Jets have had that same thought this entire FA. 

10 hours ago, Larz said:

No such thing. You have a starting X and a starting Z.  

This is very fair and I am sure will be sold to Williams that way. If he signs and can stay on field ( big if) it would open up the whole field for Rodgers and williams will go up and figure for balls. Be open more importantly not allow def to double only Wilson.

God I think it would be great to have him as risky as he is there is no better option available that I know of.. he would do what we need give Rodgers the ability to win a lot easier