Mike Williams visiting Monday

Oh damn. Not sure if I really want him tbh.  ACL is very serious especially at his age (29)  it happened 9/25 last year but still  

The Chargers will release Williams (knee) on Wednesday with a failed physical designation, Tom Pelissero of NFL Network reports. Williams is rehabbing from an ACL tear and was due $20 million in non-guaranteed compensation for 2024, the final season of a three-year extension.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Oh damn. Not sure if I really want him tbh.  ACL is very serious especially at his age (29)  it happened 9/25 last year but still  

The Chargers will release Williams (knee) on Wednesday with a failed physical designation, Tom Pelissero of NFL Network reports. Williams is rehabbing from an ACL tear and was due $20 million in non-guaranteed compensation for 2024, the final season of a three-year extension.

Yeah, scary 

I want Williams.

I think to last year when we had a visit scheduled with OBJ and he never visited bc BAL made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

Time to reverse it and make Williams an offer he can’t refuse to not go and visit CAR or Pitt

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

ACL injuries aren’t a hard come back like the used to be. Breece Hall look bad to you last year? And Williams tore his like 6 weeks earlier than Hall did. 

Age is a major factor in recovery.  Hes not a pure speed guy but I’m basically 50/50 on him now. Ok if they sign him ok if they don’t 

30 minutes ago, Larz said:

failed physical

too bad we passed or failed on so many better options

broken Mike Williams > Allen Lazard?

We have to do something at WR2 but this feels like a pretty risky move. Chargers know his situation best.

• Upvote 1

If he's cheap, sure. Otherwise please no. Not sold on his route running or efficiency metrics, and keep in mind that he got to play the last 3 years with a top 10 QB and was going up against a lot of CB2s while the WR on the other side was demanding CB1 attention. 

• Upvote 1

Williams is ranked dead last in qualifying WRs in separation. On the chart that I seen there wasn't anyone close. If you look at his highlights there's always a defender right on his hip. With that said he's been in league for a while and producing despite his inability to separate, while exceeding on contested catches. He's a Philip Rivers receiver, who loves to back shoulder fades with his big body targets regardless if they're open or not. A good receiver to add to the collection of guys we have as he's a redzone nightmare. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

If he's cheap, sure. Otherwise please no. Not sold on his route running or efficiency metrics, and keep in mind that he got to play the last 3 years with a top 10 QB and was going up against a lot of CB2s while the WR on the other side was demanding CB1 attention. 

So, in your scenario, would Wilson be getting the CB2?  That wouldn't be so bad, would it?  And while Rodgers may not still be a top 10QB, not so bad.

We wouldn't need to take a risk on Williams if we'd drafted JSN last year instead of a backup, rotational, gumby-edge who needs to work his ass off this offseason according to our coaches.

I can imagine what a WR trip of Wilson/JSN/Odunze (2024 #10)/Johnny Wilson (2024 4th) would look like. 

My god, it would have been beautiful....

I notice all the "Lazard is fine" folks don't say that anymore, lol.  Just like the "Davis will be fine" folks too.  But we'll likely still have Cobb somehow, so at least Rodgers will be happy....

One the bright side, McDonald might play more than 19% of the Defensive snaps next year, if he works really, really hard.  So there is that.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We wouldn't need to take a risk on Williams if we'd drafted JSN last year instead of a backup, rotational, gumby-edge who needs to work his ass off this offseason according to our coaches.

I can imagine what a WR trip of Wilson/JSN/Odunze (2024 #10)/Johnny Wilson (2024 4th) would look like. 

I notice all the "Lazard is fine" folks don't say that anymore, lol.  Just like the "Davis will be fine" folks too.  But we'll likely still have Cobb somehow, so at least Rodgers will be happy....

One the bright side, McDonald might play more than 19% of the Defensive snaps next year, if he works really, really hard.  So there is that.

People thought Lazard was a WR2 just cause Rodgers threw to him and the Packers had no real WRs behind Adams at the time. If Lazard went back to Green Bay, he'd be behind Watson, Doubs, Reed and maybe even Wicks who flashed something towards the end of the season.

4 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

People thought Lazard was a WR2 just cause Rodgers threw to him and the Packers had no real WRs behind Adams at the time. If Lazard went back to Green Bay, he'd be behind Watson, Doubs, Reed and maybe even Wicks who flashed something towards the end of the season.

He has always been an unreliable wr3. He is what he is. No matter how much people wanted him to be the one or 2, including Rodgers 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Schitts Creek Ugh GIF by CBC

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • More Ugh 1

19 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Schitts Creek Ugh GIF by CBC

I know, the always-wrong crown always wants to move on asap. 

So we can instead talk about how picking a TE or reaching for the 5th rated QB at #10 is REALLY the best and only choice now, lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I want Williams.

I think to last year when we had a visit scheduled with OBJ and he never visited bc BAL made him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

Time to reverse it and make Williams an offer he can’t refuse to not go and visit CAR or Pitt

for a lean and short contract, it is all reward possibility and little risk.  we saw how breece came back from acl.  go for it

2 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

As much as I want this to happen and happen TODAY I don't think Mike Williams is giving any team an answer until end of the week.

Witchcraft agrees with you, at least his intent anyway.

Did we confirm Boyd is visiting today

59 minutes ago, Alka said:

So, in your scenario, would Wilson be getting the CB2?  That wouldn't be so bad, would it?  And while Rodgers may not still be a top 10QB, not so bad.

I don't have a scenario. My point was that his productivity and efficiency metrics were not great even though he was in a prime spot to put up great numbers. Then add in his injury history, and the total outcome is that I want no real part of him unless he's a super cheap rental.

• Upvote 1

Big Mike turns 30 in October.

The knee is kind of important not only in terms of running and cutting but going vertical for jump balls and winning contested catches, his bread and butter.

He's the best available and they probably have to roll the dice here, but it's not as if adding him is a lock to move the needle for this offense.

@LAD_Brooklyn has a good point that even if all MW gives you is a reliable RZ threat, he's probably worth it.

The yards and efficiency might not be there at the end, but AR's touch and placement are probably still good enough where they could squeeze 7 or 8+ TDs out of him.

I'd take Ladd McConkey on day 2 if they can somehow work that.

Jets really need a slot guy who can win fast in the middle of the field to help take the pressure and attention off GW on the outside.

53 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Witchcraft agrees with you, at least his intent anyway.

Did we confirm Boyd is visiting today

I don't remember hearing any confirmation that Boyd is visiting us...but maybe I just missed that? I know we have Clowney on deck tomorrow.

3 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

I anticipate Williams will take all visits but if the money is equal between them all, the Jets have the most enticing situation. I imagine the money will NOT be equal though

Not really. Boyd and Williams are being pursued by us, Steelers and Carolina. The Steelers and panthers have much more stable situations as far as the staff and front office goes. Our situation has the downside of the staff and GM being fired and a new staff in place the following year that’ll have no loyalty to him. A staff change just got Williams cut and is the reason he’s looking for work in the first place..

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

An athlete domiciled in NY will pay NY taxes on ALL his games, as follows, ...  a Carolina game he pays 5 percent to NC.  That then is taxed in NY at say 9 percent.  NY Credits him for the NC tax paid thus he pays NY the difference.  There is a huge benefit to playing in a non taxed state.

OK but in terms of cost to the player, who gets the tax check is a distinction without a difference; in both instances it's "the government" (or I suppose, government).

I meant more like a situation of a player getting signed by [Dallas, Houston, Seattle, Tennessee, Vegas, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville].

Signs whatever length contract, but in a given year if ~90% of it is bonus money, that bonus money would be free of state taxes.

Then for the remaining 10%, about half of it (8 or 9 home games) is also taxed at that 0% rate.

Then the remaining 8-9 (road) games are each at 1/17 the base salary gets taxed at those road games' rates. BUT unless they've got so many road games in 1 state (e.g. 4 games vs California teams) the rate would be as though that's their entire income from the year. A minimum ~$1MM base salary = ~$60K/game = nowhere near the cutoff for the marginal rate in progressive high tax states like NY, NJ, CA.

(It sounds right to me, but I don't know if it is right, which is why I tagged you; I'm legit curious myself)

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I know, the always-wrong crown always wants to move on asap. 

So we can instead talk about how picking a TE or reaching for the 5th rated QB at #10 is REALLY the best and only choice now, lol.

So.... you think he was some great breakout player?

1st receiver off the board.... 10th in production. If you're so smart why not Puka or Addison or Flowers?

image.thumb.png.537cb1f207e2a01fa46d45accc19ef37.png

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

OK but in terms of cost to the player, who gets the tax check is a distinction without a difference; in both instances it's "the government" (or I suppose, government).

I meant more like a situation of a player getting signed by [Dallas, Houston, Seattle, Tennessee, Vegas, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville].

Signs whatever length contract, but in a given year if ~90% of it is bonus money, that bonus money would be free of state taxes.

Then for the remaining 10%, about half of it (8 or 9 home games) is also taxed at that 0% rate.

Then the remaining 8-9 (road) games are each at 1/17 the base salary gets taxed at those road games' rates. BUT unless they've got so many road games in 1 state (e.g. 4 games vs California teams) the rate would be as though that's their entire income from the year. A minimum ~$1MM base salary = ~$60K/game = nowhere near the cutoff for the marginal rate in progressive high tax states like NY, NJ, CA.

(It sounds right to me, but I don't know if it is right, which is why I tagged you; I'm legit curious myself)

That's fairly accurate although there are court cases now where states like CA/NY are saying the bonus money should be apportioned with the number of games.   

• Upvote 1