Mike Williams visiting Monday

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

So now Pitt is in on him too.

Not looking promising that he visits and signs tomorrow. He’ll likely do a recruitment tour

LOL

They already have a big WR that can’t separate but outmuscles dudes at the catch point in Pickens.

Would be kind of funny seeing those 2 guys on the field at the same time for 90% of snaps.

8 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Jets should be all in on him - restructure Williams brothers and make it happen.

I agree Aiyuk is much more appealing right now than a hobbled MW.

But what would the compensation be?

He’s good but in no universe is he worth the #10 overall pick (plus you have to extend him) and the Jets don’t pick again until rd 3.

Aiyuk is a legit low-end WR1.

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL

They already have a big WR that can’t separate but outmuscles dudes at the catch point in Pickens.

Would be kind of funny seeing those 2 guys on the field at the same time for 90% of snaps.

Clearly the have interest and don’t care if they have 2 guys like that.

14 hours ago, Larz said:

What are we arguing? That teams don’t refer to the WR as X and Z but #1 and #2 ?

Fans call it #1 and #2 not the teams. 

NFL rules 101. Teams need 7 players on the LOS. 

The X has to be on the LOS. The Z does not. The X and Z are different types of players. The X is a big guy that can beat press coverage without having the ability to go in motion or be off the LOS. 

This is basic sh*t. 

The X isn't always a big guy (see Miami, for example) and 1/2 is independent of X/Z, because those terms are describing different things. For some teams, the X is the No. 1 WR. For other teams, it's the Z. Other teams - like the Jets for many years - don't have a No. 1 WR at all. 

A "No. 1 WR" is a ball-dominant elite WR who not only demands double coverage but produces elite numbers despite it. There are maybe 15 of those guys in the NFL at any given time. X/Z are alignment terms. Saying "there's no such thing as a 1/2 teams use X/Z" is like saying "there's no such thing as an edge rusher, teams use 'DE/LB'" 

• Upvote 2

I'm drafting a WR at 10 over trading that pick for a vet 99% of the time.  One exception I'd make is Justin Jefferson, since he's in a tier of his own(even then though it probably costs us next year's 1st as well).  

Other than that, give me a kid who we control for 5 years.  Calvin Ridley just got $23M.  I think there's a lot of value in having a high-end WR playing on a rookie salary.  We had this same discussion a couple of years ago when deciding whether to trade the 10th overall for Deebo Samuel.  I'm glad we didn't do that.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Hunter Renfrow is swinging for the fences?

Getting BOTH Williams and Renfrow would be. Renfrow is a slot receiver who had 103 receptions the last time he had was actually used in the offense. He would be the most reliable slot WR for the jets since ... ? Plus Wilson, Williams and Renfro would be an excellent complementary trio IMO. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I'm drafting a WR at 10 over trading that pick for a vet 99% of the time.  One exception I'd make is Justin Jefferson, since he's in a tier of his own(even then though it probably costs us next year's 1st as well).  

Other than that, give me a kid who we control for 5 years.  Calvin Ridley just got $23M.  I think there's a lot of value in having a high-end WR playing on a rookie salary.  We had this same discussion a couple of years ago when deciding whether to trade the 10th overall for Deebo Samuel.  I'm glad we didn't do that.  

I think plan A is to draft a wr at 10 b/c you just can’t get those guys in FA.  Even 10 yrs later, TB isn’t getting rid of evans.  

I think plan B is drafting fatanu, i think he’s going to be the OL pick, he’s got the LT feet and can play all the positions.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think plan A is to draft a wr at 10 b/c you just can’t get those guys in FA.  Even 10 yrs later, TB isn’t getting rid of evans.  

I think plan B is drafting fatanu, i think he’s going to be the OL pick, he’s got the LT feet and can play all the positions.  

Fautanu would be the only OL I'd consider in the 1st.  Can slot in pretty much anywhere year one and then groom him to take over for Smith.  But yes, it should be a weapon first and foremost.  Even if it's Bowers, that's fine by me.  

Give Warren another year to see how he develops behind a future HOFer like Smith.  Bring in another vet to provide some more depth.  If Warren doesn't take that next step, then you can either look to draft a LT next year or sign another vet.  

3 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Fautanu would be the only OL I'd consider in the 1st.  Can slot in pretty much anywhere year one and then groom him to take over for Smith.  But yes, it should be a weapon first and foremost.  Even if it's Bowers, that's fine by me.  

Give Warren another year to see how he develops behind a future HOFer like Smith.  Bring in another vet to provide some more depth.  If Warren doesn't take that next step, then you can either look to draft a LT next year or sign another vet.  

Increasingly, i predict that jd is not trading back in round 1.  I do wonder what type of value they place on bowers though.  If they truly love him and don’t view him as a Te but more of a versatile weapon, then i guess he’s a candidate at 10.  I do agree about fatanu, they’d throw him at g to start and then when a tackle gets hurt he could slide in there along with avt and eventually he’d be the LT.  

31 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

The X isn't always a big guy (see Miami, for example) and 1/2 is independent of X/Z, because those terms are describing different things. For some teams, the X is the No. 1 WR. For other teams, it's the Z. Other teams - like the Jets for many years - don't have a No. 1 WR at all. 

A "No. 1 WR" is a ball-dominant elite WR who not only demands double coverage but produces elite numbers despite it. There are maybe 15 of those guys in the NFL at any given time. X/Z are alignment terms. Saying "there's no such thing as a 1/2 teams use X/Z" is like saying "there's no such thing as an edge rusher, teams use 'DE/LB'" 

I heard Shanahan has a new offensive play calling system. 

South Right Clamp Fake 67 Slant Naked Right ball dominant guy that demands double teams Slide Can 67 Slant”. 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Increasingly, i predict that jd is not trading back in round 1.  I do wonder what type of value they place on bowers though.  If they truly love him and don’t view him as a Te but more of a versatile weapon, then i guess he’s a candidate at 10.  I do agree about fatanu, they’d throw him at g to start and then when a tackle gets hurt he could slide in there along with avt and eventually he’d be the LT.  

I'm sure they'll love Bowers but whether or not they take him might depend on Rodgers and how he feels he can implement him.  They had Mayer high on their board last year, so they clearly would add another TE if the right one was there, and it's hard to not see Bowers as "the right one" considering how versatile he is.  I think they'll covet him, for sure.  

Also yeah I wouldn't trade down either.  The idea of recouping that 2nd sounds nice but not at the expense of missing out on Bowers or BTJ.  To get a 2nd rounder we'd probably have to drop down to like the 18 range, and it's just not worth the risk for me IMO.  Especially not if Odunze is there at 10.  Adding that 2nd was much more appealing before we filled our starting OL.  Now it's a luxury more than a necessity.  I'll choose the one elite talent over two good ones.

• Upvote 3

As much as I want this to happen and happen TODAY I don't think Mike Williams is giving any team an answer until end of the week.

I hope I'm wrong but he isn't in a rush really and might even be curious what Boyd will fetch and then ask for more.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I'm sure they'll love Bowers but whether or not they take him might depend on Rodgers and how he feels he can implement him.  They had Mayer high on their board last year, so they clearly would add another TE if the right one was there, and it's hard to not see Bowers as "the right one" considering how versatile he is.  I think they'll covet him, for sure.  

Also yeah I wouldn't trade down either.  The idea of recouping that 2nd sounds nice but not at the expense of missing out on Bowers or BTJ.  To get a 2nd rounder we'd probably have to drop down to like the 18 range, and it's just not worth the risk for me IMO.  Especially not if Odunze is there at 10.  Adding that 2nd was much more appealing before we filled our starting OL.  Now it's a luxury more than a necessity.  I'll choose the one elite talent over two good ones.

I really don’t think they’re going to decide whether or not to take bowers on what rodgers wants, at least not anymore.  As far as trading back, i think it depends if a guy like rome is there, and how much they like guys like bowers and BTJ.  

14 minutes ago, Larz said:

I heard Shanahan has a new offensive play calling system. 

South Right Clamp Fake 67 Slant Naked Right ball dominant guy that demands double teams Slide Can 67 Slant”. 

Just take the L, man. It's not that big a deal

16 hours ago, varjet said:

We have discussed this before, but the state taxes for players are very complicated.   It also depends how they are paid-salary, bonus, etc.

A player is taxed where they play games and make money, and where they are domiciled.   I don’t think many of the players are stupid enough to domicile themselves in NJ.  Their goal should be to live somewhere else, vote there, have a drivers license there, and spend 185 days a year.  A place like Texas or Florida.  

So for a Jet, playing 8-9 games in NJ, plus a game in NY and MA, plus where ever else, is going to tag them with taxes.  Players don’t seem to mind playing for the 49ers, Rams or Chargers, for example, and their situation is worse.  No player is paying 0% state taxes because they play games in states with taxes.   But having your home team be in a low tax state definitely helps things.  

I don’t think domicile location matters for football income. For endorsements income, cap gains, and other non-NFL income yes, but I think the NFL income is based on the state locale of the team paying it for bonuses and home games, and opponent stadium locations for road game checks.

While no player pays literally zero state taxes, some can come very close (especially in y1 signing, followed by restructures that follow, if playing for a zero state tax team). The bonus checks are in the team’s state e.g. NJ/CA/etc. vs. FL/WA/etc. If a Dallas player gets $10MM for the year and about $9MM (90%) is paid out as signing-roster-option + workout bonus, then ~95% has zero state income tax (the bonus money plus the 8-9 home games out of the 17 game checks).

Among the rest of that $1MM base salary, it’s also often at a flat low state rate and/or a non-marginal state rate. So 1/17 of that $1MM base salary wouldn’t qualify for the marginal rate in those states that have progressive rates; therefore for a road game against Buffalo, a Panthers player would pay NYS’s 5.5% rate on that ~$60K game check, not one of the 10%+ NYS tax rates.

Tagging @southparkcpa to see if I got some (or all) of this wrong.

23 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

As much as I want this to happen and happen TODAY I don't think Mike Williams is giving any team an answer until end of the week.

I hope I'm wrong but he isn't in a rush really and might even be curious what Boyd will fetch and then ask for more.

I tend to agree with this. 

28 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

I tend to agree with this. 

You guys are doubting the visionary tweets of Tony Vegas?! 

He didn’t get up to 12 followers by being wrong. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Do we even have a slot wr? He could be that 

So you think Renfrow is swinging for the fences as well. He's ok, but the Jets can do much better in the Draft addressing their receiving needs.

The 10th pick is open, Klatt has the Jets taking Nabers now. CBS has them getting Odunze.

2 minutes ago, Claymation said:

So you think Renfrow is swinging for the fences as well. He's ok, but the Jets can do much better in the Draft addressing their receiving needs.

The 10th pick is open, Klatt has the Jets taking Nabers now. CBS has them getting Odunze.

Not saying he’s “swinging for the fences” Im just saying we need wr depth and I’m not even aware of an actual legit slot wr on the roster

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don’t think domicile location matters for football income. For endorsements income, cap gains, and other non-NFL income yes, but I think the NFL income is based on the state locale of the team paying it for bonuses and home games, and opponent stadium locations for road game checks.

While no player pays literally zero state taxes, some can come very close (especially in y1 signing, followed by restructures that follow, if playing for a zero state tax team). The bonus checks are in the team’s state e.g. NJ/CA/etc. vs. FL/WA/etc. If a Dallas player gets $10MM for the year and about $9MM (90%) is paid out as signing-roster-option + workout bonus, then ~95% has zero state income tax (the bonus money plus the 8-9 home games out of the 17 game checks).

Among the rest of that $1MM base salary, it’s also often at a flat low state rate and/or a non-marginal state rate. So 1/17 of that $1MM base salary wouldn’t qualify for the marginal rate in those states that have progressive rates; therefore for a road game against Buffalo, a Panthers player would pay NYS’s 5.5% rate on that ~$60K game check, not one of the 10%+ NYS tax rates.

Tagging @southparkcpa to see if I got some (or all) of this wrong.

An athlete domiciled in NY will pay NY taxes on ALL his games, as follows, ...  a Carolina game he pays 5 percent to NC.  That then is taxed in NY at say 9 percent.  NY Credits him for the NC tax paid thus he pays NY the difference.  There is a huge benefit to playing in a non taxed state.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

An athlete domiciled in NY will pay NY taxes on ALL his games, as follows, ...  a Carolina game he pays 5 percent to NC.  That then is taxed in NY at say 9 percent.  NY Credits him for the NC tax paid thus he pays NY the difference.  There is a huge benefit to playing in a non taxed state.

Zach’s townhouse is like 12k a year in property taxes which was very 

IMG_0394.webp