Mike Williams visiting Monday

42 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Disagree...Trade back (yes, you need a team willing to come up and give you what you want) and acquire at least a 2nd - in a draft that is heavy w/OT & WR talent. Use 1st on OT or WR and the 2nd round pick on the other position not picked in the 1st.

The two starting OTs are over 30 on 1 yr deals.  The vet WR signed will also most likely be on a 1 yr deal.

Jets need to really start following the Baltimore model of having quality replacements behind starters who either leave via FA or age/injury/retirement..

Many many many options now. Many.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I’m with you on Bowers.

Doubt the way he dominated in college — mainly by being a superior athlete and being left wide the frick open — is going to translate to the same kind of success in the pros.

In terms of profile and play style — he’s a bit smaller and lowers his head into contact like a RB — he looks a lot more like Aaron Hernandez than your classic TEs Gronk, Kelce, Gonzo, Gates, etc.

IDK about Odunze but MHJ or Nabers seem like slam dunks to be difference makers.

There are no slam dunks at TE.  One of the hardest positions to evaluate.

I’d rather move back a little, recoup another early pick, and grab Adonai Mitchell (later in round 1) or Ladd McConkey on day 2.

Hype trains are always concerning.  Jet fans wanted to take Fournette at 6 in the Jamal Adams / Mahomes / Watson draft.

OJ Howard was way over drafted based on him running away from dudes in a straight line.

There’s a lot more to being successful at TE in the NFL than raw athleticism.

Jace Amaro caught 100+ passes the year he was drafted and many (Francesca, for one) assumed that meant he was actually a good prospect.

Bowers is a good prospect.

I wouldn’t consider him at #10 though unless they had no other options.

Alt, Nabers, or trade back.

The hype train is out of control.  The way he is getting talked about is as if he’s already better than prime Travis Kelce…

Well I would not say Bowers is on the hype train, he has been thought of as a top tier prospect for a few years.   He has not suddenly jumped into the top 10.

It's pretty simple for me, if a team drafts him and has a real plan and a smart oc who will tailor make a lot of plays for him and if he and the QB form good chemistry early and have the freedom to go off script he has the chance to be a kelce like player with a kelce like impact.

If a team takes him and just thinks of him as a traditional TE then for sure not worth a pick that high.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

At this point you’d have to think that if rome is there at 10 that pick is a pure no brainer.  The guy would probably be top 5 in most years.  And he’s exactly what the jets need.  If you believe 4 qbs go in the top 9, along with nabers, Harrison and alt, that’s already 7 guys.  Does Chicago go wr now, or do they go defense?  Atlanta, would they trade out?  

the way the jets are proceeding with FA, you can also make the case (at least I do) that they should be looking at qbs.  It would be interesting if they can trade out and get a 2nd rounder and then somehow turn it into a qb, so that after rodgers leaves they have a prospect.   The OL is set up to help out a young qb finally and i wonder if guys like nix are in play at the end of round 1/beg round 2. 

If one of the top WRs falls to us then I'm fine with taking one.  Even if we end up signing Mike Williams, he's coming back from injury and is a question mark.  But even if he returns to form, we still need a 3rd quality WR.  Of course, Brock Bowers could be in the mix there as well.  And of course, I'd be very happy if we took an OL there because that would give us a 3rd young OL to build our line around going forward.

I don't watch that much college football btw so I don't have the strongest opinions about these college players.  So the above is reliant on what JD thinks (e.g. is Bowers or an OL worth taking in this spot?)

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jets and Redskins said:

I hope we get him. The negatives are the Panthers had alot of cap room and he from NC.

This is business, not personal. Business. He can always go back to NC when he retires. It aint going anywhere.

The way I look at it: will Bower's production replace Conklin's? My answer is no. Even if so, not by much.

Apply same test to WRs, etc. The answer should be OL and/or WR.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barton said:

Getting a guy off a torn ACL to be your #2 receiver, seems a little risky. 

he suffered it early last year i think. should be able to show what he has left soon. and hes a high percentage catch rate guy. better than obj

55 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well I would not say Bowers is on the hype train, he has been thought of as a top tier prospect for a few years.   He has not suddenly jumped into the top 10.

It's pretty simple for me, if a team drafts him and has a real plan and a smart oc who will tailor make a lot of plays for him and if he and the QB form good chemistry early and have the freedom to go off script he has the chance to be a kelce like player with a kelce like impact.

If a team takes him and just thinks of him as a traditional TE then for sure not worth a pick that high.  

yup, hes more hback or slot reciever than TE

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Lol, that’s fine from you.

I see Green Ghost is still physically unable to let it go.  Pretty sad at this point.

You keep being you, most of us enjoy the tidbits that you can share.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Isn't it a known thing that Rodgers specifically avoids throwing to the middle of the field? I think it would be a minimal impact on the offense this year to add Bowers. 

I wouldn’t say avoids but rather utilizes his ability to hit the higher risk + high yield throws on the outside more than most because most don’t have his ability.

But I do agree that a strong TE is low priority for Rodgers and a TE in the 1st round in general is very meh.

19 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I wouldn’t say avoids but rather utilizes his ability to hit the higher risk + high yield throws on the outside more than most because most don’t have his ability.

But I do agree that a strong TE is low priority for Rodgers and a TE in the 1st round in general is very meh.

I remember reading about him specifically avoiding the middle of the field because it's more high risk for INTs.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I remember reading about him specifically avoiding the middle of the field because it's more high risk for INTs.

Interesting, and it makes sense. Either way let’s pass on Bowers in the 1st. He’s Not “The Next Kelce!”

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That’s a lot of if’s and doesn’t seem like the Jets will fit your criteria.

Aaron Wilson ⁦‪@AaronWilson_NFL‬⁩

#Panthers to host Michael Gallup for visit Monday in addition to Mike Williams next week, per league sources. Looking to boost position and help Bryce Young in second NFL season ⁦‪@KPRC2‬⁩

3/16/24, 1:53 PM

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Aaron Wilson ⁦‪@AaronWilson_NFL‬⁩

#Panthers to host Michael Gallup for visit Monday in addition to Mike Williams next week, per league sources. Looking to boost position and help Bryce Young in second NFL season ⁦‪@KPRC2‬⁩

3/16/24, 1:53 PM

Williams should take this as a slap in the face, cancel all meetings and sign with the Jets immediately.

For short money, of course.

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, derp said:

That’s a lot of if’s and doesn’t seem like the Jets will fit your criteria.

Indeed a lot of Ifs but it is a risk reward kind of thing.

People wonder why kelce mahomes have been killing the leauge for years and why no one else is doing what they are doing even thigh they are trying.

20 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Indeed a lot of Ifs but it is a risk reward kind of thing.

People wonder why kelce mahomes have been killing the leauge for years and why no one else is doing what they are doing even thigh they are trying.

Meh. I don’t really buy into the Kelce thing, personally. You’re comparing a 6’3 240 guy who’s going to get drafted in the first round to a 6’5 255 guy who went in the third. Kelce isn’t a YAC guy the way Bowers is billed. They play the same position, but that’s about it. He’d get Aaron Hernandez comps if he came out 13 years ago.

The Kelce thing is completely arbitrary to me, and you can claim a high ceiling for a lot of prospects. Nobody had Kelce’s ceiling where he’s ended up, nobody had Justin Jefferson as potentially being the best receiver in the NFL, etc.

Just don’t think “but he could be Kelce” is a good argument for taking Bowers at ten. You can potentially make one, but that’s not it.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Can we afford Mike Williams after signing Tyron Smith?  If so, JD will have basically patched all the major holes (admittedly with guys who are injury risks) prior to the draft.  It will be interesting to see how he handles the rest of the offseason going forward.

Needs to get Lizzard out of here. What I dumb signing that was.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

49 minutes ago, derp said:

Meh. I don’t really buy into the Kelce thing, personally. You’re comparing a 6’3 240 guy who’s going to get drafted in the first round to a 6’5 255 guy who went in the third. Kelce isn’t a YAC guy the way Bowers is billed. They play the same position, but that’s about it. He’d get Aaron Hernandez comps if he came out 13 years ago.

The Kelce thing is completely arbitrary to me, and you can claim a high ceiling for a lot of prospects. Nobody had Kelce’s ceiling where he’s ended up, nobody had Justin Jefferson as potentially being the best receiver in the NFL, etc.

Just don’t think “but he could be Kelce” is a good argument for taking Bowers at ten. You can potentially make one, but that’s not it.

Travis kelce is not some unicorn of ability, he is a guy that knows how to run routes and get open, (like Bowers) a guy with good hands (like Bowers) a guy that can get you run after the catch ( like bowers).

The reason he is super successful is he has a great qb whom he has great chemistry with and a head coach smart enough to know that he can let these two players do their thing and make a ton of unscripted plays.

Bowers was great at Georgia for a lot of those same reasons and will be great in the pros if nfl coaches and their Qb allow him to do those things.

The nfl loves to over coach, over plan and have players, 'run precise routes.'

If Bowers goes to the right team  (San diego would be a perfect fit imo) he will be a star.   If not he'll be kyle pitts, different type of player but similar in that you have to tailor make part of your offense for the player.

I wont weep f we take him or not as long as the Jets pick a really good player at 10 I will be happy (oline, WR or Bowers)

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Travis kelce is not some unicorn of ability, he is a guy that knows how to run routes and get open, (like Bowers) a guy with good hands (like Bowers) a guy that can get you run after the catch ( like bowers).

The reason he is super successful is he has a great qb whom he has great chemistry with and a head coach smart enough to know that he can let these two players do their thing and make a ton of unscripted plays.

Bowers was great at Georgia for a lot of those same reasons and will be great in the pros if nfl coaches and their Qb allow him to do those things.

The nfl loves to over coach, over plan and have players, 'run precise routes.'

If Bowers goes to the right team  (San diego would be a perfect fit imo) he will be a star.   If not he'll be kyle pitts, different type of player but similar in that you have to tailor make part of your offense for the player.

I wont weep f we take him or not as long as the Jets pick a really good player at 10 I will be happy (oline, WR or Bowers)

Kelce is a high level height weight speed athlete - better than Bowers. You significantly undersell his talent. Plenty of tight ends can get open, have good hands, and can run after the catch.

Mahomes is of course a big part of his success. Kelce also had multiple thousand yard seasons before Mahomes was starting there and was a highly productive tight end as soon as he got on the field.

I think Bowers will be very good but not elite tight end pretty much his whole career. Don’t see him being a primary passing game option or is the kind of guy who gets open on his own and makes other players get open because of it. Maybe I undersell the athleticism a little, we’ll see if he tests.

18 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

WOW. Why would he play with a possible bust prospect of a QB when he could play for a team that has decent odds of going deep in the playoffs and a HOF QB. At this point in his career, he needs stats to show he's still a productive WR.  Even if Panthers offer a bit more, the smart thing for him to do would be to join this freight train.

He’d also be expected to be WR #1 in Carolina. #2 in Jet land

• Upvote 1

He is proven wr2 with aspirations of being the 1. He has injuries and disappears sometimes but he is basically the guy we wanted Corey Davis to be. Hell he might have been but just has crap qbs.

If we land Mike I would be happy with that. Solid wr2 and he is big. And I like th idea of Rodgers throws to that guy

21 hours ago, Jets723 said:

Yup.  Personally I want to trade down and get a second.  WR class is deep and you can still grab another OL to develop

This would seem like the appropriate thing to do. However, I think if the following two players somehow slip to 10 you take one of them- Nabers or Fashanu. Simple as that. 

Fashanu is a pure LT who excels in pass blocking and he will be worth his weight in gold in the NFL if he can stay healthy. T.Smith will not be a Jets for very long. Injuries, age, this guy has played 13 seasons. 

Nabers will be arguably as productive in the NFL as MHJ. He doesn't have to be as good. He's in the same elite WR stratosphere that if you get him on your team he will blow the defense up, even in the NFL. And with GW on the other side, this has to be a no brainer pick, even with a nice trade down offer sitting there as an alternative. 

And I'll be honest, even though he is not as versatile, Brian Thomas Jr. is just as explosive and passing on him at 10 to move down might be a mistake because you can park him across from GW and give teams absolute fits with his combination of size and deep speed.  

• Upvote 2

Agents want to schedule the meeting with the top choice last. The stalking horse gets to make an offer and then they ask the top choice to beat it. 

Clowney is also meeting with the Panthers, but before the Jets. 

if I had to guess I’d say they get Clowney but not Williams. 

Williams is 29 and ACL injury for a WR is a serious question mark.