Mike Williams visiting Monday

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

That's fairly accurate although there are court cases now where states like CA/NY are saying the bonus money should be apportioned with the number of games.   

Interesting. I think that's a legit claim if it's one season, but if a signing bonus exceeds the average contract amount per season that'd be a harder argument.

A 1 year $10MM with $9MM as signing bonus, yeah ok he's clearly being paid $10MM for 17+ football games, not $9MM because he's handsome and $1MM for playing football.

That isn't the same as a 2 year $40MM contract with a $35MM signing bonus -- ir something similarly front-loaded like the 49ers gave Garoppolo when they first got him from NE: contract was $27.5MM/year but $42MM was paid out in y1, $35MM of which was signing+roster+workout bonus money. $42M wasn't for playing year 1; they were front-loading future pay. Then again for him some handsome-bonus money could be rationalized for being so dreamy, so maybe JG isn't a great example. With high 1st round picks that happens all the time, even if they're homely lol. 

It's a court case, though, so logic often doesn't prevail.

13 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

So.... you think he was some great breakout player?

I think he was the right pick for us. 

What he did there is irrelevant, it was a 100% different type of situation to here.  There he was a #3.  Here he'd have quickly been the #2.  

I think he was head and shoulders the right pick over a rotational, backup, all-potential-no-production 19% of plays edge.

And I think IF we had drafted him, WR would be in much better shape than it is now with Wilson and nothing else worth mentioning.

As I said, I'd still go WR at #10 if the chips fall right (caveat, depending on OT as well), and be very very happy to roll out a Wilson/JSN/Odzune type of WR trio, a real pro-level trio of real weapons.  No more Gipson or Brownlee Wal-Mart-level talents or Lazy Lazards need apply.

But like I said, if he works REALLY, REALLY hard, maybe we'll get 22% of plays out of McDonald this year on out stacked top 10 defense that totally needed alot of help last draft.  Totally.

41 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm gonna be honest I can't keep track of all the Mike Williamses anymore and I don't know which one this is, therefore I'm going to complain about it if/when they do or do not sign him.

This is the good one

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

That's fairly accurate although there are court cases now where states like CA/NY are saying the bonus money should be apportioned with the number of games.   

Do we think that Jet players can claim that they are not domiciled in NJ?  

18 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Lazard would have been fine as the No. 2 with Rodgers throwing him the ball. As would Davis as the No. 2 had he stuck around. Not exciting. Not great. Fine.

JSN put up low-end No. 2 WR numbers on a slightly more pass-heavy-than-average team (Geno was 13th in the league in attempts). Tied for 50th in the NFL in receptions, 63rd in yards, no real "wow" moments. He basically had Elijah Moore's rookie year over 6 more games played, with better QB play (JSN per game: 3.7 Rec/36.9 yds/.24 TD. Moore per game: 3.9/48.9/.45). I'm not sure why you're acting like he proved himself the next great NFL WR or like the team wouldn't and shouldn't still be in the market for a guy like Williams if we had drafted JSN

Zay Flowers and Jordan Addison looked a lot better (more dynamic) than JSN.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

What he did there is irrelevant, it was a 100% different type of situation to here.  There he was a #3.  Here he'd have quickly been the #2.  

I think he was head and shoulders the right pick over a rotational, backup, all-potential-no-production 19% of plays edge.

And I think IF we had drafted him, WR would be in much better shape than it is now with Wilson and nothing else worth mentioning.

As I said, I'd still go WR at #10 if the chips fall right (caveat, depending on OT as well), and be very very happy to roll out a Wilson/JSN/Odzune type of WR trio, a real pro-level trio of real weapons.  No more Gipson or Brownlee Wal-Mart-level talents or Lazy Lazards need apply.

But like I said, if he works REALLY, REALLY hard, maybe we'll get 22% of plays out of McDonald this year on out stacked top 10 defense that totally needed alot of help last draft.  Totally.

I think Zay Flowers is the guy you should be clamoring for. 

JSN had a solid rookie year, but nothing that screams 1st round pick. I don't really see JSN as a dynamic #2 WR who can play consistently on the outside opposite GW and that's what we really need. He's a nice slot guy. His longest reception last year was 35 yards (on 93 targets from a good deep thrower with a strong arm) - kinda speaks for itself. 

In hindsight, the guy we should have taken was Flowers. 

• Upvote 1

Nice to see you being fair and reasonable, as always.

What will it take for this to die?  McDonald getting 10 sacks and whoever we draft at 10 becoming head and shoulders above JSN?  Or will it then just turn into "we could have had JSN, Huff, and an OT" and we're doomed no matter what?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

JSN had a solid rookie year, but nothing that screams 1st round pick. I don't really see JSN as a dynamic #2 WR who can play consistently on the outside opposite GW and that's what we really need. He's a nice slot guy. His longest reception last year was 35 yards (on 93 targets) - kinda speaks for itself. 

Another reason why i think they’re going wr.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Another reason why i think they’re going wr.  

They are definitely drafting at least one WR (hopefully 2) in this draft. Whether that happens at 10 or not depends on who is there and how much they actually like Bowers and whichever tackles are there. 

• Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Lazard would have been fine as the No. 2 with Rodgers throwing him the ball. As would Davis as the No. 2 had he stuck around. Not exciting. Not great. Fine.

JSN put up low-end No. 2 WR numbers on a slightly more pass-heavy-than-average team (Geno was 13th in the league in attempts). Tied for 50th in the NFL in receptions, 63rd in yards, no real "wow" moments. He basically had Elijah Moore's rookie year over 6 more games played, with better QB play (JSN per game: 3.7 Rec/36.9 yds/.24 TD. Moore per game: 3.9/48.9/.45). I'm not sure why you're acting like he proved himself the next great NFL WR or like the team wouldn't and shouldn't still be in the market for a guy like Williams if we had drafted JSN

Oh, but JSN would have been great with Rodgers throwing him the ball.  Not ok.  Not fine.  Great.

Or is make-believe only ok when you do it, lol?

Again, what happened for JSN in Seattle has no bearing on what would have happened to him here.  You cannot, and should not, just say "what he produced and how he played there is exactly what would have happened here" which is just lazy thinking tbh.  Citing his numbers there as a part-time #3/#4 behind two elite studs means nothing to me when looking at how he'd have projected last year, and into our future, as OUR #2 alongside his friend and former teammate Wilson.  

Fact is, the Lazard/Davis is fine folks were proven wrong by the events.  Not because Rodgers got hurt, but because Lazard was slow and lazy and unmotivated after getting paid, and overhyped for a JAG, and Davis was a Jets-hating worn out flake who wanted out and took the only route he saw to flee this franchise.  

Wilson/JSN/Odzune/Johnny Wilson, and WR is a non issue for the next 5-6 years.  For the first time here in ages.

It's gonna be funny when JD drafts an edge at #10 (LOOK AT HIS BEND!!!!), and our WR group in Wilson/Williams (hurt in week 2)/Gipson/Brownlee with some 5th rounder on the bench as the #5 lol.

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

They are definitely drafting at least one WR (hopefully 2) in this draft. Whether that happens at 10 or not depends on who is there and how much they actually like Bowers and whichever tackles are there. 

I think to make the playoffs this year, a playmakers matters more than a guy like fatuana who may bounce around the OL this year and go through rookie growing pains.  Also the jets really only have 1 wr and 1 rb and the TEs are very average.  There’s a desperate need for another wr and clearly they know this.  If they’re lucky enough to get rome, great.  But if not i believe they’d go thomas jr over a tackle and then find a decent tackle prospect in round 3.  

10 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

What will it take for this to die?

It's already dead, we did what we did.

Offseason bullsh*t theorizing chat in March is just that, bullsh*t chat.  Like sitting at a bar debating philosophy.

It's 100% irrelevant and yet most of us still do it.

So it's both already dead, and will never die.  Feels a little Game of Thrones, that.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Oh ffs lol.  Can stop checking twitter 

Yeah not meeting until tomorrow. My guess is he re-signs with the Chargers. Jets should take a WR in the 1st, either way, in a trade back or at 10, depending on who is there. 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

JSN had a solid rookie year, but nothing that screams 1st round pick. I don't really see JSN as a dynamic #2 WR who can play consistently on the outside opposite GW and that's what we really need. He's a nice slot guy. His longest reception last year was 35 yards (on 93 targets from a good deep thrower with a strong arm) - kinda speaks for itself. 

Dudes on this board were picking Moore apart in droves for being too small. Imagine what they would think about Flowers 

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Fair enough, but in hindsight the guy we should have taken was probably Puka Nacua.

Forced to pick a WR at 15 I would have probably went Addison, but I think it would have made more sense to go for somebody later - Jayden Reed was my favorite, but he went earlier than expected, Josh Downs, Hyatt, etc. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's already dead, we did what we did.

Offseason bullsh*t theorizing chat in March is just that, bullsh*t chat.  Like sitting at a bar debating philosophy.

It's 100% irrelevant and yet most of us still do it.

So it's both already dead, and will never die.  Feels a little Game of Thrones, that.

If the Jets wanted a slot WR they should have drafted Nacua, they had Zach there to give them the work up on the kid.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

If the Jets wanted a slot WR they should have drafted Nacua, they had Zach there to give them the work up on the kid.

Zach Wilson paying dividends all over the place!

I guess according to @Matt39 Wilson does spend a ton of time in Utah, but wasn't Nacua playing in Washington when Zach was at BYU?  It's not like they played together.

4 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I'd take Ladd McConkey on day 2 if they can somehow work that.

Jets really need a slot guy who can win fast in the middle of the field to help take the pressure and attention off GW on the outside.

We had a chance to get one last year.

We went with the 24 yo project who jumps over cars instead.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Zach Wilson paying dividends all over the place!

I guess according to @Matt39 Wilson does spend a ton of time in Utah, but wasn't Nacua playing in Washington when Zach was at BYU?  It's not like they played together.

He should have had ears on what that kid was considering he was always there.

If you were choosing between a 3rd string RB (Izzy who they drafted a few picks before pics) or a guy who could actually be your WR slot 3 guy it’s a no brainer if you know the kid can play and have some inside intel on him idk.

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Oh, but JSN would have been great with Rodgers throwing him the ball.  Not ok.  Not fine.  Great.

Or is make-believe only ok when you do it, lol?

Again, what happened for JSN in Seattle has no bearing on what would have happened to him here.  You cannot, and should not, just say "what he produced and how he played there is exactly what would have happened here" which is just lazy thinking tbh.  Citing his numbers there as a part-time #3/#4 behind two elite studs means nothing to me when looking at how he'd have projected last year, and into our future, as OUR #2 alongside his friend and former teammate Wilson.  

Fact is, the Lazard/Davis is fine folks were proven wrong by the events.  Not because Rodgers got hurt, but because Lazard was slow and lazy and unmotivated after getting paid, and overhyped for a JAG, and Davis was a Jets-hating worn out flake who wanted out and took the only route he saw to flee this franchise.  

Wilson/JSN/Odzune/Johnny Wilson, and WR is a non issue for the next 5-6 years.  For the first time here in ages.

It's gonna be funny when JD drafts an edge at #10 (LOOK AT HIS BEND!!!!), and our WR group in Wilson/Williams (hurt in week 2)/Gipson/Brownlee with some 5th rounder on the bench as the #5 lol.

"Lazard would have been fine as a No. 2 with Rodgers throwing to him" isn't make-believe, it's historical performance. 60 for 788 in 15 games as the No. 2 WR (behind Adams) in a down season for Rodgers in 2022. That's low-end No. 2 numbers. Fine. 

And you're right that what happened in Seattle wouldn't have happened here. He'd have had way worse numbers here given the contexts. He'd be a fine No. 2 WR heading into this year. Not great. Not very good. Fine. That's not what you look for in a 1st round pick. 

I just have no idea why you're perseverating on JSN aside from the fact that he was the guy you preferred at draft time last year. Based on the game evidence from 2023, this team would be in way better shape for 2024 with Jordan Addison than McDonald. Then again, heading into 2023 JJ was the disappointment of the 2022 draft class. We'll see how McDonald develops, but if he replaces Huff's production this year then he'll have done exactly what they drafted him to do: save them 17M a year in "free agent pass rusher" dollars that they were able to allocate elsewhere.

At the time of the Draft we had GW, Lazard, Corey Davis & had Randall Cobb on their radar. Likewise, the Jets were not extending Huff and were letting Lawson go. Let's see what we have in McD

You had a hard-on for JSN but there there turned out to be better receivers taken after JSN... why not protest that Flowers, Reed, Rice or Puka weren't picked instead of keep bringing up JSN?

• Upvote 3