Mike Williams visiting Monday

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Oh ffs lol.  Can stop checking twitter 

I think Clowney has the same schedule w/the Jets?  Tonight & tomorrow. Check out NJ restaurants. I'm sure they are being taken out to dinner

• Upvote 1

Just did a quick comp of Mike Williams and Tyler Boyd.

Both are age 29, Williams was the 7th overall pick whereas Boyd was the 55th pick. Boyd played one more year. Both played and had good seasons prior to being paired with top-end QBs and both have regressed dramatically over the last three years. Both have longs of 72 and have good deep speed (Williams is faster). 

Williams is the better deep guy with more yards before catch and higher average depth of targets. He's also more boom or bust with with higher yards per reception but lower catch% and higher drop%. His success% is slightly lower too. 

Boyd is more sure handed with a 64 catch% and 2.7 drop% on more targets and receptions per game.

I would think that Williams will be the more expensive one given his draft status and less wear and tear. I think in an Aaron Rodgers offense, Williams is the better fit, but for the money and contract length that they'll both probably receive, I'd rather just sign MVS and draft Odunze/Nabers.  

image.thumb.png.9db2a06b0b4e9713db085a28fc6186c9.png

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

We wouldn't need to take a risk on Williams if we'd drafted JSN last year instead of a backup, rotational, gumby-edge who needs to work his ass off this offseason according to our coaches.

I can imagine what a WR trip of Wilson/JSN/Odunze (2024 #10)/Johnny Wilson (2024 4th) would look like. 

My god, it would have been beautiful....

I notice all the "Lazard is fine" folks don't say that anymore, lol.  Just like the "Davis will be fine" folks too.  But we'll likely still have Cobb somehow, so at least Rodgers will be happy....

One the bright side, McDonald might play more than 19% of the Defensive snaps next year, if he works really, really hard.  So there is that.

actually if we picked a wr we should have picked jordan addison or zay flowers. JSN would have been the wrong pick. Flowers and Addison are better

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I think Clowney has the same schedule w/the Jets?  Tonight & tomorrow. Check out NJ restaurants. I'm sure they are being taken out to dinner

I would imagine they're taking him to the circus.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

At the time of the Draft we had GW, Lazard, Corey Davis & had Randall Cobb on their radar.

So one good WR and a pile of obvious sh*t.

A sh*t pile people will go to their deaths believing was "good enough" when it so obviously wasn't.

Let's see what we have in McD

Well no sh*t, do we have a choice?  He's the guy we got.  So far, he's a rotational 19%-of-plays edge.

You had a hard-on for JSN

I had a hard on for a WR.  JSN only happened to be the one I wanted.

but there there turned out to be better receivers taken after JSN... why not protest that Flowers, Reed, Rice or Puka weren't picked instead of keep bringing up JSN?

I am sure folks who wanted those guys can handle that.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

Zay Flowers and Jordan Addison looked a lot better (more dynamic) than JSN.  

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I think Zay Flowers is the guy you should be clamoring for. 

JSN had a solid rookie year, but nothing that screams 1st round pick. I don't really see JSN as a dynamic #2 WR who can play consistently on the outside opposite GW and that's what we really need. He's a nice slot guy. His longest reception last year was 35 yards (on 93 targets from a good deep thrower with a strong arm) - kinda speaks for itself. 

In hindsight, the guy we should have taken was Flowers. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Fair enough, but in hindsight the guy we should have taken was probably Puka Nacua.

Forced to pick a WR at 15 I would have probably went Addison, but I think it would have made more sense to go for somebody later - Jayden Reed was my favorite, but he went earlier than expected, Josh Downs, Hyatt, etc. 

46 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

actually if we picked a wr we should have picked jordan addison or zay flowers. JSN would have been the wrong pick. Flowers and Addison are better

I think it would be disingenuous for the guys like me who said we should take JSN in the draft last year to now claim 20/20 hindsight and say we should’ve taken one of the other WRs instead.

I/We were clamoring for JSN, and were floored by the McDonald pick. Those two were the comp back then, and at least in my mind they still are.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

They meet with Williams tomorrow, Clowney on Wednesday according to my guys in a building somewhere.

• Haha 1

One of you guys should go to 

@AdamSchefter Derek Carr and Robert Saleh enjoying lunch in Summit, NJ (Fiorino Ristorante) 😯 pic.twitter.com/x06Tmb4M3b

— Mike Garcia (@ShikeyTues) February 18, 2023

to get the scoop from the waiters lol

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

ACL injuries aren’t a hard come back like the used to be. Breece Hall look bad to you last year? And Williams tore his like 6 weeks earlier than Hall did. 

Breece was 22 and Williams 29.

Big difference 

6 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Nick Faria said it would OBJ or Boyd.

I don't get the Jets' obsession with OBJ.  Joe Douglas must be blind.  Or AR is still calling the shots.

You don’t get the obsession with OBJ because there hasn’t been one.  Saying you were interested a year ago hardly needs understanding given he was a legit option.  That JD didn’t overpay like the Ravens did hardly shows an obsession by JD
Of course JD must be blind or lamer, AR8 is still (duh) calling imaginary shots

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

ACL injuries aren’t a hard come back like the used to be. Breece Hall look bad to you last year? And Williams tore his like 6 weeks earlier than Hall did. 

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Breece was 22 and Williams 29.

Big difference 

2 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

wait so it this guy healthy to play this season? is he leaving nyc?

I'm sure the Jets' doctors are going to check the guy out thoroughly.  And as much as we make fun of the Jets' medical staff (myself included in that), I'm guessing we'd be blown away by their qualifications.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I think it would be disingenuous for the guys like me who said we should take JSN in the draft last year to now claim 20/20 hindsight and say we should’ve taken one of the other WRs instead.

I/We were clamoring for JSN, and were floored by the McDonald pick. Those two were the comp back then, and at least in my mind they still are.

I think this is valid.  I was not clamoring for either.  I would have drafted Gonzalez.

One thing that I think is not covered much is how they might have been viewing the WR market at 15.  Sitting at 15 EVERY WR was still on the board.  That generally would mean that a good one will still be available at your 2nd round pick.  In the 27 picks between McDonald and Tippman there were 5 WR and 4 TE taken.  There was a run of 4 straight starting with JSN.  By the time they picked Warren like another 10 WR and 5 TE had come off the board. 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

why not just say "still think we should have taken a wr, i was just wrong about which one" 
makes no sense to be hard headed about it and say the pick should have been an inferior wr to one that was picked like 3 slots later. its ok to be half right about something

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

why not just say "still think we should have taken a wr, i was just wrong about which one" 
makes no sense to be hard headed about it and say the pick should have been an inferior wr to one that was picked like 3 slots later. its ok to be half right about something

I could do that if I was looking to score “draft guru” points, but I’d be lying.
At the time I thought JSN was the best pick. Not only did I repeatedly say I wanted him before the draft, I said it through the offseason also. 
(BTW I’m not saying that Puka, (and Addison) didn’t have a better year, they did.)

• Upvote 1

Maybe we didn't like any of the receivers last year? Or the 2023 draft class in terms of blue-chip first round talent? We were interested in Jahmyr Gibbs apparently, which was hardly a position of need.

If that was the case, we could have just flipped Green Bay the #13 pick last year, kept 42 and we would still have our second this year. 

Water under the bridge now admittedly. Green Bay would have pushed back, which would have been another reason to tell them to kick rocks. 

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So 29 is now old? Ok

obviously you don’t understand how aging work but 29 year ols not recover like 22year olds.  

And if you reread what I wrote I never said 29 is old.  So there’s that too

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So 29 is now old? Ok

Why can’t you just cede @Jet Nut’s obvious point, without the snarky comeback?

Your entire argument is based on Hall’s recovery from his ACL surgery yet you’re not a surgeon, and you know nothing about the severity of either tear.
Someone then pointed out another factor, the age difference. One player is only 22 and the other is 29. That’s a 7 year difference, which yeah, is kinda a lot in “NFL body years”.

• Upvote 1

I have a hunch that the Jets strategy is something along the lines of:

- If Williams is healthy and meeting goes well (mutual interest), Jets will offer him a contract they are comfortable with...something along the lines of 1 year / $8M Guaranteed, with incentives which can increase to somewhere in the $11 / $12 M range...

- If Williams goes elsewhere, Jets might be OK pivoting to OBJ, maybe get him on a bit of a sweetheart deal as it was rumored last year him and Rogers were wanting to play together...OBJ may take a bit less on his guarantee on a one year deal to come back to NY, and to play with Rogers.  With all his baggage, seems maybe OBJ has matured a bit over the years...never heard much of anything negative last year in Baltimore, or before that, with the Rams.  If he's healthy and properly motivated, he'd be a fine tag team partner with GW.  Still leaves room for the Jets to draft a guy if they want, even in a trade back scenario, as there should be some guys available later in the first, or even in the 2nd round (Ladd McConkey is a guy I think we'd grow to love).  He could compete for a role (slot?) this year and if he does well, could become a starter a year or 2 down the road.  

- Jets may be hoping to get Clowney on a one year deal, my guess is they will offer him an incentive laden deal with a decent guarantee.  He'd be a nice weapon to deploy against the run, while also chipping in on the pass rush.  If McDonald comes on this year, great...still room for him to play a bunch, especially on passing downs.  

- I think they are set re: starting safeties, but depth is needed.  I'd be fine if they decided to bring Ash back, he has gotten better over the years.  There were times when he was really good last year, especially at taking the ball away.  Good special teams player as well.   Always room for a guy like that on your squad.

Not for nothing, but even at this stage, OBJ is still the best WR out there in terms of talent and experience. Being on the Rams and Ravens also seems to have humbled him and made him more professional. If we’re going to hand out a stupid contract anyway, I’d give it to him over Williams or Boyd.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

obviously you don’t understand how aging work but 29 year ols not recover like 22year olds.  

And if you reread what I wrote I never said 29 is old.  So there’s that too

A 29 year old doesn’t not heal as fast as a 22 year old. A 38 year old. Yes I’d agree with you.

What you were implying was pretty much that a 29 year old doesn’t heal like a 22 year old does. Implying that 29 is old. And harder for him to heal

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Not for nothing, but even at this stage, OBJ is still the best WR out there in terms of talent and experience. Being on the Rams and Ravens also seems to have humbled him and made him more professional. If we’re going to hand out a stupid contract anyway, I’d give it to him over Williams or Boyd.

If we sign Mike Williams (pure X), Odunze is a redundant talent if he’s the WR that drops to 10. 

If we sign Tyler Boyd (Y), Nabers would be pushed to the X (not ideal but not horrible, as he plays all over), Odunze would slot right in as an ideal X, but BTJ would be redundant. 

OBJ would be cool in that he can play inside or out, which would pair well with whichever WR we potentially draft, and the fact that two of the top-4 are LSU alumni (like OBJ) might bode better for locker room chemistry.

27 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

A 29 year old doesn’t not heal as fast as a 22 year old. A 38 year old. Yes I’d agree with you.

What you were implying was pretty much that a 29 year old doesn’t heal like a 22 year old does. Implying that 29 is old. And harder for him to heal

You’re just embarrassing yourself by not understanding simple facts.

in not implying anything.  I’m telling you, 29 isn’t 22.  Doesn’t make 29 old, that’s a dumb argument.  

As @Green Ghost told you earlier listen to us who obviously know better 

So 29 isn’t old but 38 is?  Or just fits your argument.  How old are you?  22?

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

Why can’t you just cede @Jet Nut’s obvious point, without the snarky comeback?

Your entire argument is based on Hall’s recovery from his ACL surgery yet you’re not a surgeon, and you know nothing about the severity of either tear.
Someone then pointed out another factor, the age difference. One player is only 22 and the other is 29. That’s a 7 year difference, which yeah, is kinda a lot in “NFL body years”.

I know I’ve torn my acl twice at different and similar ages. And I actually healed better and faster my 2nd tear. So ya I do have some experience with it. Given I played baseball and not football when going through this so my body healing was different. But I was a catcher. Which is imo harder on the knee than football players.

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You’re just embarrassing yourself by not understanding simple facts.

in not implying anything.  I’m telling you, 29 isn’t 22.  Doesn’t make 29 old, that’s a dumb argument.  

As @Green Ghost told you earlier listen to us who obviously know better 

So 29 isn’t old but 38 is?  Or just fits your argument.  How old are you?  22?

No my point is that a 29 year old healing from something isn’t at all different than a 22 year old. They’re both young. You were the one making the point implying that a recovery for Williams would be harder than Hall’s based simply that he’s 7 years younger.