Eric Smith

Lawsuit Against NFL[edit]

In February of 2023, Smith and nine other former players filed a lawsuit against the NFL disability board in United States Federal Court, stating they had been unfairly denied disability claims. Smith stated that he had suffered thirteen documented traumatic brain injuries and had been denied disability compensation for his “head, neck, and lumbar spine impairments” and “marked decreased shoulder range of motion, rotator cuff weakness, and moderate to severe shoulder arthritis".[18]

he plaintiffs are Willis McGahee, Eric Smith,Mike McKenzie, Jason Alford, Daniel Loper, Jamize Olawale, Alex Parsons, Charles Sims, Joey Thomas, and Lance Zeno.

Smith explained his lingering brain trauma in a videoconference last year.

“There were times I would black out and wake up . . . and I’m bleeding, there are holes in the wall,” Smith said at the time. “My wife and kids are crying. I went down a dark path.”

The case will now move down a path toward trial. It still has a long way to go to get there.

• Ugh 1

Makes me wonder how much longer the NFL as we know it will be around.  My gut feeling is that down the road, it’ll evolve into something like flag football in order to survive.  I think the injury and trauma research is only going to be more damning as time goes on which will make the hitting and contact look less and less appealing to fans and players alike.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Rochester Jets said:

Makes me wonder how much longer the NFL as we know it will be around.  My gut feeling is that down the road, it’ll evolve into something like flag football in order to survive.  I think the injury and trauma research is only going to be more damning as time goes on which will make the hitting and contact look less and less appealing to fans and players alike.  

Survive? It’ll be around even if they converted to flag football. They make too much money to just be surviving. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Yeah he was a dirty player on top of being a scrub who got waaayyyy too much playing time in his career

I kinda knew Boldins grandmother and other family members of his, Granma was a fragile Diabetic, went to their house a lot when I was working EMS in Pahokee, FL. Nice people.

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Survive? It’ll be around even if they converted to flag football. They make too much money to just be surviving. 

I mean, sure, it would still be around in some form, but they’d make a fraction of the revenue they do now.  The violence of the game is part of what makes it the country’s most popular sport.  

Fundamentally changing the game to THAT degree would slowly kill off the viewership, and the league knows it.  

I remember in the 2010 playoff win against the Pats, he hit a receiver so hard that their helmet decal shattered. For a second it looked like the guy's helmet broke apart. 

Smith wasn't a great player, but he could hit like a truck.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I remember in the 2010 playoff win against the Pats, he hit a receiver so hard that their helmet decal shattered. For a second it looked like the guy's helmet broke apart. 

Smith wasn't a great player, but he could hit like a truck.

Wes Welker. That was a hell of a hit, and probably the most memorable one of Smith's career...unless you count the one where he nearly killed Boldin.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, sure, it would still be around in some form, but they’d make a fraction of the revenue they do now.  The violence of the game is part of what makes it the country’s most popular sport.  

Fundamentally changing the game to THAT degree would slowly kill off the viewership, and the league knows it.  

I respectfully disagree. The gradual improvements aimed at enhancing the players' overall well-being are unlikely to diminish viewership.

1 hour ago, Jet2020 said:

I respectfully disagree. The gradual improvements aimed at enhancing the players' overall well-being are unlikely to diminish viewership.

If it ends up full-fledged flag football?  Not a chance.  

We both know that the NFL is unlikely to transition to flag football, even gradually, as it represents a completely different concept. At least it is not expected to change to that within our lifetime.

Basketball has a substantial following without the presence of any violence.

It’s never really approached football levels of popularity and basketball has always been a non-contact sport.  Football going from full contact to basically none would be a completely different concept.  

We both know that the NFL is unlikely to transition to flag football, even gradually, as it represents a completely different concept. At least it is not expected to change to that within our lifetime.

I mean of course i agree with that but you’re going to end up never coming up with a good solution - the sport will always be inherently dangerous (and the more we learn about the brain and the bigger and faster guys get - the worse it gets) and that will continue the slow restriction of  the pipeline of players available from the youth/HS level.  

You can only do so much to protect the athletes if you don’t go the flag route (which no one really wants) so, increasingly, the only groups producing football talent will be the ones who have few or no other choices.  

8 hours ago, mrcoops said:

Wes Welker. That was a hell of a hit, and probably the most memorable one of Smith's career...unless you count the one where he nearly killed Boldin.

Again, Smith wasn't that good of a player, but that game against the Pats was probably the best of his career. 

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hope he wins.  But I bet he trips and falls multiple times while making court appearances.

@Bleedin Green

This is a very conflicting scenario, because it's kind of amazingly ****ed up how the league treats some of their former players and medical conditions.

However... I'm pretty sure Smith was completely blacking out while in the middle of a defending a play well before even his first injury.

• Post of the Week 1

Within 15 years is my guess. Hope im wrong.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, NYJCAP2 said:

:27 seconds left in a blowout. Times have changed. He’d probably be suspended for a season with this hit now.

If you look at the play in slow motion, Smith wasnt aiming for his head. The defender on the left hit Bouldin first bending his head down and Smith then hits Bouldin in the mask. Smith had no time to adjust his hit as it was bang bang.  The hit would have been in the chest without the initial contact by the other defender. 

• Upvote 3

On 3/24/2024 at 2:57 AM, Maynard13 said:

If you look at the play in slow motion, Smith wasnt aiming for his head. The defender on the left hit Bouldin first bending his head down and Smith then hits Bouldin in the mask. Smith had no time to adjust his hit as it was bang bang.  The hit would have been in the chest without the initial contact by the other defender. 

This is true.  Kerry Rhodes hits Boldin from behind, which alters his trajectory just as Smith comes in to make his hit. Smith wasn't intentionally going for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Boldin, he was going for a big hit to break up the pass. Smith was an extremely physical and aggressive safety who liked to hit, but he wasn't aiming to injure Boldin here - it was a very unfortunate sequence of events that led to both Boldin and Smith getting hurt.

Boldin was a real class player, and a real class act. Even though he was very seriously injured, he didn't blame Smith for the injury and he came back ridiculously quickly after surgery and produced at his usual high level:

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/sports/football/23boldin.html

• Upvote 2

On 3/23/2024 at 12:16 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Didn't he break Anquan Boldens face that one time? 

I was at that game. You heard the crack of that hit from across the entire stadium.

I think that was the same game where fireworks accidentally got launched into stands (coincidentally the section I was in). 

Quite a game for the senses. 

• Haha 2