Mike Williams Cap Hit

29 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Great

If you give the slightest f*ck about the Jets in 2026 and beyond, then the jokes on you.

After Rodgers is gone, odds are you’re going to see them strike out on another highly drafted QB and squander whatever legitimate talent they have on the roster at that time.

You know, like mankind has witnessed with this team since around the time of the moon landing…

Best case scenario, we win a Superbowl in the next two years.

Worst case scenario, everyone is broken down and we suck. And we’re no strangers to sucking. Aggressively…in a dim, dark alley with bags under our blood-shot eyes and wrinkles and pock marks everywhere else.

We’re gross.

And it’s a risk well worth taking 

Alleged moon landing 

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The year is 2028 and the Jets have just picked QB Jack Brady #1 overall after having a winless 2027. The cap is now $750,000,000 per team after the league secured an exclusive deal with X to stream individual PPV games on Mars and hyperinflation has begun to take hold in the US. Bitcoin is well over $1 million per coin and @TuscanyTile2 is still bestowing the virtues of gold despite the fact that it's still hovering around $2000. @HessStation still lives under a bridge on the highway where he smokes crack and shills sh*tcoins to innocent passerby's in between incoherent rambles about how he should have listened to Barry.

Robert Saleh somehow managed to keep his job through the winless season, no doubt due to the back to back championships the Jets won in 2024 & 2025 before Aaron Rodgers retired mid-season in 2026. Anyway, LAD_Brooklyn is beside himself about the $660,000 cap hit from the Mike Williams void years.

Despite all this @Jetsfan80 is super stoked about the new jerseys Woody Johnson just announced were dropping.

I love being part of posts like these.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Overthecap has us at $73M 2025 cap space assuming for now the cap only goes up a very conservative $5M.  If it goes up like this year, add another $25M to that number.  Subtract $15M AVT extension and we are at $83M in available space.

It projects the Jets as one of several teams to have ZERO dead money.  

If so, we’re not screwed but obviously need to develop guys like Warren at RT and hit big in the draft this year.

Would be smart to extend a guy or 2 this year, draft a mid round QB to develop and save the inevitable space we’ll need for our young core.  I’m liking the idea of trading down and nabbing a 2nd round pick if possible.

Current assumption is that Rodgers plays next year but who knows?

It’s a false narrative the Jets have sold their souls.  But they really need to draft and develop a young QB for them to optimally absorb the one year dead money hit when Rodgers retires.  

Our young core are contract eligible starting next year March. 

Sauce Gardner, Garrett Wilson, Jermaine Johnson, Bryce Hall and Jeremy Ruckert. If I was Woody I would borrow some money and give them all extensions. Of course they'll decline, except for Bryce Hall. 

21 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Our young core are contract eligible starting next year March. 

Sauce Gardner, Garrett Wilson, Jermaine Johnson, Bryce Hall and Jeremy Ruckert. If I was Woody I would borrow some money and give them all extensions. Of course they'll decline, except for Bryce Hall. 

How many void years though?

Bryce Hall is a TB buc. 😁

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The poor decisions that got them here are already done. There's no longer any choice, but to go all in. They're borked past this year either way.

This.

There is no turning back. In some ways the window hasn't opened yet and it is about to shut. So just go for it, Rodgers or bust.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Overthecap has us at $73M 2025 cap space assuming for now the cap only goes up a very conservative $5M.  If it goes up like this year, add another $25M to that number.  Subtract $15M AVT extension and we are at $83M in available space.

It projects the Jets as one of several teams to have ZERO dead money.  

If so, we’re not screwed but obviously need to develop guys like Warren at RT and hit big in the draft this year.

Would be smart to extend a guy or 2 this year, draft a mid round QB to develop and save the inevitable space we’ll need for our young core.  I’m liking the idea of trading down and nabbing a 2nd round pick if possible.

Current assumption is that Rodgers plays next year but who knows?

It’s a false narrative the Jets have sold their souls.  But they really need to draft and develop a young QB for them to optimally absorb the one year dead money hit when Rodgers retires.  

I don't think this is true.

The way his charts work in advance of that year, the players with void years aren't treated as FAs with dead money yet.

Look for players with $0 under base salary. Absent extensions, for each of them the cap number IS dead money:

• Reed $4.6MM (though he's likely to get extended, as of today it'd be dead money)
  • Conklin $1.95MM
  • T.Smith $3.6MM* (that's if he only plays the same as last year; you'd need to add all playing time incentives reached above 68% to that money, but in fairness you'd subtract dead $ as a cap ceiling rise if he doesn't reach 68%)
  • Mike Williams $2.64MM* (again, add all 2024 incentives reached to that total)
  • Kinlaw $4.4MM
  • Schweitzer $0.9MM

So add that up and they're at $18MM dead money -- minus Reed if he's extended; plus incentives for Mike Williams; +/- incentives reached (or not reached) for Smith.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The year is 2028 and the Jets have just picked QB Jack Brady #1 overall after having a winless 2027. The cap is now $750,000,000 per team after the league secured an exclusive deal with X to stream individual PPV games on Mars and hyperinflation has begun to take hold in the US. Bitcoin is well over $1 million per coin and @TuscanyTile2 is still bestowing the virtues of gold despite the fact that it's still hovering around $2000. @HessStation still lives under a bridge on the highway where he smokes crack and shills sh*tcoins to innocent passerby's in between incoherent rambles about how he should have listened to Barry.

Robert Saleh somehow managed to keep his job through the winless season, no doubt due to the back to back championships the Jets won in 2024 & 2025 before Aaron Rodgers retired mid-season in 2026. Anyway, LAD_Brooklyn is beside himself about the $660,000 cap hit from the Mike Williams void years.

Despite all this @Jetsfan80 is super stoked about the new jerseys Woody Johnson just announced were dropping.

Aidy Bryant Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think this is true.

The way his charts work in advance of that year, the with void years aren't treated as FAs with dead money yet.

Look for players with $0 under base salary. Absent extensions, for each of them the cap number IS dead money:

• Reed $4.6MM (though he's likely to get extended, as of today it'd be dead money)
  • Conklin $1.95MM
  • T.Smith $3.6MM* (that's if he only plays the same as last year; you'd need to add all playing time incentives reached above 68% to that money, but in fairness you'd subtract dead $ as a cap ceiling rise if he doesn't reach 68%)
  • Mike Williams $2.64MM* (again, add all 2024 incentives reached to that total)
  • Kinlaw $4.4MM
  • Schweitzer $0.9MM

So add that up and they're at $18MM dead money -- minus Reed if he's extended; plus incentives for Mike Williams; +/- incentives reached (or not reached) for Smith.

I appreciate you Sperm.  That makes more sense than what’s in the table.

I should copy you on any reference to salary cap tables.  I tend not to go that level deeper.

Broader point though is the Jets are not in salary cap hell after this year  nor is this a 1 year window, unless Rodgers decides to retire.

Everythimg points to a 2 year window, then transition to a young QB with a talented roster around him.  Jets would be wise to draft one this year sometime after round 1.

Ofcourse as I type this Rodgers is accepting Kennedy’s VP offer ;) 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I appreciate you Sperm.  That makes more sense than what’s in the table.

I should copy you on any reference to salary cap tables.  I tend not to go that level deeper.

Broader point though is the Jets are not in salary cap hell after this year  nor is this a 1 year window, unless Rodgers decides to retire.

Everythimg points to a 2 year window, then transition to a young QB with a talented roster around him.  Jets would be wise to draft one this year sometime after round 1.

Ofcourse as I type this Rodgers is accepting Kennedy’s VP offer ;) 

Hello Otherwise and Sperm,

It seems to me that though the void year money gets labeled as dead money next year, that's merely a semantic change from live to dead. It's already included in our cap hit and the status change doesn't change that. Bottom line, we have 35 non-voidable players under contract for 2025, an above average number including the quarterback, and our $64 mill net cap figure as of this moment is just above middle of the back among all 32 as-of-this-moment cap hits. This is a pretty good situation.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Alworth said:

Hello Otherwise and Sperm,

It seems to me that though the void year money gets labeled as dead money next year, that's merely a semantic change from live to dead. It's already included in our cap hit and the status change doesn't change that. Bottom line, we have 35 non-voidable players under contract for 2025, an above average number including the quarterback, and our $64 mill net cap figure as of this moment is just above middle of the back among all 32 as-of-this-moment cap hits. This is a pretty good situation.

Hello my friend!  I’m glad you still have some trust in my opinion after I flopped on Bryce Huff being franchise and traded :).  You nailed that one!

I agree with the middle of the pack salary cap point.  That’s the key 2025 takeaway.

As for void years, they are used to spread a signing bonus for example over a longer time frame to reduce the annual cap charges.  So it isn’t semantics from a cap perspective.  It’s semantics from a cash flow perspective because that money has already been paid out regardless of dummy years.  

So let’s say a player signs a 1 year deal that has 2 dummy years added for a total of 3 years.  His 2024 salary is $2M and he receives a $9M signing bonus for a total $11M for a single year’s work.  

In 2024 while the contract is still active the cap charges would look like this:

2024:  $2M salary + 1/3rd of signing bonus ($3M) = $5M.

2025:  1/3rd of signing bonus ($3M)

2026:  1/3rd of signing bonus ($3M)

Total = $11M

Once the player completes his 1 year and is no longer a Jet, both the 2025 AND 2026 dummy year balance would accelerate and a total of $6M would be charged as dead money to 2025’s cap.  Dead money meaning the player is no longer on the team.

Sperm will correct me if I’m wrong.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Hello my friend!  I’m glad you still have some trust in my opinion after I flopped on Bryce Huff being franchise and traded :).  You nailed that one!

I agree with the middle of the pack salary cap point.  That’s the key 2025 takeaway.

As for void years, they are used to spread a signing bonus for example over a longer time frame to reduce the annual cap charges.  So it isn’t semantics from a cap perspective.  It’s semantics from a cash flow perspective because that money has already been paid out regardless of dummy years.  

So let’s say a player signs a 1 year deal that has 2 dummy years added for a total of 3 years.  His 2024 salary is $2M and he receives a $9M signing bonus for a total $11M for a single year’s work.  

In 2024 while the contract is still active the cap charges would look like this:

2024:  $2M salary + 1/3rd of signing bonus ($3M) = $5M.

2025:  1/3rd of signing bonus ($3M)

2026:  1/3rd of signing bonus ($3M)

Total = $11M

Once the player completes his 1 year and is no longer a Jet, both the 2025 AND 2026 dummy year balance would accelerate and a total of $6M would be charged as dead money to 2025’s cap.  Dead money meaning the player is no longer on the team.

Sperm will correct me if I’m wrong.

I'm totally aware of  the above analysis, which supports the conclusion that in 2025 (the voiding year) the deferred/accelerated money represents the payback of a "debt" rather than a "useful" payment for a player's services for 2025. My point only was that Jason F. got it right. The spread out signing bonus shows, IN FULL,, in OTC's  in Williams' 2025 cap number and thus is already fully reflected  in the 2025 $64.6 million 51-man cap number.

And we know that there will be other cap hits of dead money for Williams in 2025 if, as we assume, that he plays more that the three roster bonus games reflected in Jason's numbers and if, as WE HOPE, he earns all or some of the other $5 million of un-reflected incentives. But that's both a separate issue and fine by me,  I bring it up just to show that I'm aware of Williams' potential full deferred cost.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Alworth said:

I'm totally aware of  the above analysis, which supports the conclusion that in 2025 (the voiding year) the deferred/accelerated money represents the payback of a "debt" rather than a "useful" payment for a player's services for 2025. My point only was that Jason F. got it right. The spread out signing bonus shows, IN FULL,, in OTC's  in Williams' 2025 cap number and thus is already fully reflected  in the 2025 $64.6 million 51-man cap number.

And we know that there will be other cap hits of dead money for Williams in 2025 if, as we assume, that he plays more that the three roster bonus games reflected in Jason's numbers and if, as WE HOPE, he earns all or some of the other $5 million of un-reflected incentives. But that's both a separate issue and fine by me,  I bring it up just to show that I'm aware of Williams' potential full deferred cost.

You are a very smart ‘young man’.

• Haha 2