Forget Zach, why is LAZARD still a NY JET today?

I wouldn't worry too much about the Jets not addressing WR. They already Brought in Mike Williams and will draft at least one. 

Saleh and Rodgers both went out of their way to talk about adding WRs and Douglas has drafted a WR somewhere in the first two rounds in 3 of his 4 drafts, so far. 

• Upvote 2

To add even more to my prior post, I'm really hoping the Jets find a way to trade back, take an OL, add a 2nd round pick, then draft a guy like Ricky Pearsall.

It would add much more reliable hands and athletic upside for 3WR sets, and Lazard could still come in for red zone plays and early downs as WR2/3 for his quality run blocking.

The only real issue would be that a slot guy like Pearsall wouldn't have the size to cover Mike Williams role in case of injury. A lot of day 2 outside WRs are risky (for hands, route running, etc) or else they'd be day 1 picks, though....

1 hour ago, August said:

If Wilson and Williams are healthy Lazard is fine as the number 3 receiver. That was the role he was meant to play last season before Davis retired. 

No, you do not hand a guy a 4 year, 11 million dollars a year deal to be a #3 WR.   The moment he set foot on the team Davis got shuffled to #3.

If Davis did not retie they were probably going to force a bug pay cut on him or cut him if he balked.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Thread title says it all.

Lazard was an absolute embarrassment last year, a lazy bum who played poorly on his own (i.e. things he should have done regardless of Zach being the QB).

Because the focus is on getting Zach off the team, I feel like Lazard has gotten little comment here this offseason, but he's still a Jet as of now.

Is there a real chance that JD and Saleh (and Rodgers) see HIM as the starting #3 WR this season?  And that they don't see WR as a draft need the way many of us fans do?

Is this another case of "Rodgers fixes it" mentality for the Jets?

And if so, if the JEts think Wilson/Williams/Lazard is more than good enough, how does that change the meta for that #10 pick, if at all?

And a side question, will Cobb be a Jet again in 2024?

A few things to consider. And some of my own thoughts. 

1. Lazard only had one year as a Jet, not 3 like Zach. It could very well be that last year was a fluke. 

2. The Jets may want to see how Lazard plays with his buddy Rodgers. Not just a better QB than the worst QB in the NFL, but someone who knows how to get him the ball and has chemistry with him before booting him off the team. Doesn't mean Rodgers 'fixes it', just means the Jets may want to see what he can actually do with Rodgers before pulling the plug. 

3. Salary- if I am not mistaken, Lazard carries an 18mil dead cap. Cutting him would be a brutal financial move for the Jets. 

4. I DON'T think the Jest view Lazard as a major contributor to their WR corps (otherwise they would not have gone after Williams). So I think a top tier WR in the draft is still very much on the table. 

5. There is absolutely no way Cobb makes the Jets roster this year. There is simply not enough room. GW, Williams, Lazard, Irv Charles, Gipson and you have to assume they take a WR at some point in the draft. That's 6 right there. And unlike the guys Iisted, Cobb is a FA. So the Jets would need to SIGN him. Not happening. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

He's still on the team because there is zero benefit to moving on from him. If you cut him now, you actually cost yourself 6M in cap space from acceleration of bonus prorated into next year. If you cut him after June 1, you have zero dead money, but zero cap savings since all of his money this year is guaranteed. Bottom line, whoever you replace him with costs you Lazard's salary plus whatever the new player's salary is; literally the only reason to cut him would be if you needed his roster spot for someone else. Even if you're only keeping him as your No. 5 WR, you'd save money that way.

Between that and his history with Rodgers, cutting him loose would be incredibly foolish.

But that doesn't satisfy the angriness component!

Purely as a fan, Lazard can go eff himself.

Putting on a fantasy GM hat, yeah that's a personal not professional decision to cut him right now. My thought is with Rodgers down, he played normally for a few more games and then was like eff-it we're 1-3 and have no real chance with Zach at QB, especially after the initial tease-rumors of possibly trading for Cousins faded. Dropped a pass every game for a month, then whatever else he was half-ass'ing during practice and probably on a lot of his routes, too. Better chance than not that that turns around. I wouldn't bank on him catching 800 yards & 8 TDs next year, and is unlikely to give $11MM of WR value with or without a 1st round rookie. That said, Rodgers isn't going to have the same inability to chew out receivers like Zach who was in no position to find fault with & verbally call out anyone else. Probably Lazard knew it, too, until the coaches had to step in & bench him. He's not going to laze it out on the field again this year. He'll get pulled before the end of week 1, particularly with that target already on his back to monitor his effort.

I wouldn't pass up a 1st round WR because of him, but I wouldn't force the issue over a better-prospect tackle either. There are veteran UFA WRs still out there capable of filling WR3 duties (and spot-start WR2 duties) for a season - ones who will be content with their 40-50% snaps role or duke that out with Lazard - if the Jets hold off on WR until round 3 and he's not polished enough to start week 1. 

• Upvote 2

NFL teams generally keep what, 6 WR's on the roster?

So who are ours in 2024?

1. Wilson (locked)

2. Williams (locked, for as long as he can stay healthy)

3.  ?  Draft Pick?  Lazard?

4.  ?  Gipson?  Draft Pick?  Lazard?

5. Cobb?  Gipson?  Draft Pick?  Surely not Lazard as his price?

6.  Brownlee?

This doesn't look like a strong unit to me.  Wilson is great.  Williams is good enough, if healthy.  But behind those two?  Trash.  Lazard was an embarrassment and a healthy scratch.  Gipson is a fringe roster talent.  Same for Brownlee.    

If we wind up with a Wilson/Williams/Lazard/Cobb/Gipson WR group, is that good enough?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But that doesn't satisfy the angriness component!

Purely as a fan, Lazard can go eff himself.

Putting on a fantasy GM hat, yeah that's a personal not professional decision to cut him right now.

I will admit, part of my reason for the OP was to compare/contrast this situation with "why Zach is still here", which also, purely as a "GM hat" question, is similar.  He costs us by cutting him, and him as #3 costs only a roster spot for right now.

59 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No, you do not hand a guy a 4 year, 11 million dollars a year deal to be a #3 WR.   The moment he set foot on the team Davis got shuffled to #3.

If Davis did not retie they were probably going to force a bug pay cut on him or cut him if he balked.

There was no evidence they were putting any $ squeeze on him (let alone any circumstantial evidence to warrant a "probably" description). Even less likely seeing as how they were inviting him to return, and if it was about money there wouldn't have been this whole charade about personal reasons, seeing how teams have no need to hide putting that squeeze on a player. 

Anyway that's the kind of stuff that comes out afterward (certainly Davis has no incentive to keep such secrets for Douglas now, after being released). 

18 hours ago, Warfish said:

I will admit, part of my reason for the OP was to compare/contrast this situation with "why Zach is still here", which also, purely as a "GM hat" question, is similar.  He costs us by cutting him, and him as #3 costs only a roster spot for right now.

The significant difference is a WR3 is more or less a starting position, where backup QB - backing up a QB who hadn't missed a start in years - was not. At an older age, Tom Brady's backup in Tampa was Blaine Gabbert (and behind him Kyle Trask). It wasn't a problem because Brady didn't get injured; not because Gabbert isn't also a garbage QB himself.

The problem was not having another QB2 more than carrying Zach as a QB3. I get bringing in Boyle before the Rodgers trade happened, as he had familiarity with Hackett's offense (such as it is), and at the time they may have been faced with a more drawn out negotiation & then need Boyle to help install the offense in minicamp/etc. Once Rodgers signed, then Boyle should've been history (or anyway, a last cut at the end of the summer so Rodgers didn't risk getting injured in a meaningless preseason game).

Anyway, aside from having the obvious similarity of ~$11MM fully guaranteed remaining (Zach last year, Lazard this year), they're not the same situations.

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If that was your question then it’s easy to answer. Lazard has a track record of being a productive player, especially from the slot. Zach is one of the worst starting QBs of all time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

A few things to consider. And some of my own thoughts. 

1. Lazard only had one year as a Jet, not 3 like Zach. It could very well be that last year was a fluke. 

2. The Jets may want to see how Lazard plays with his buddy Rodgers. Not just a better QB than the worst QB in the NFL, but someone who knows how to get him the ball and has chemistry with him before booting him off the team. Doesn't mean Rodgers 'fixes it', just means the Jets may want to see what he can actually do with Rodgers before pulling the plug. 

3. Salary- if I am not mistaken, Lazard carries an 18mil dead cap. Cutting him would be a brutal financial move for the Jets. 

4. I DON'T think the Jest view Lazard as a major contributor to their WR corps (otherwise they would not have gone after Williams). So I think a top tier WR in the draft is still very much on the table. 

5. There is absolutely no way Cobb makes the Jets roster this year. There is simply not enough room. GW, Williams, Lazard, Irv Charles, Gipson and you have to assume they take a WR at some point in the draft. That's 6 right there. And unlike the guys Iisted, Cobb is a FA. So the Jets would need to SIGN him. Not happening. 

I pretty much agree with this, but I do have a few comments. 

Irv Charles will probably be taking Justin Hardee's roster spot.  Though he is ostensibly a WR, he will primarily be gunner/designated special teamer.  Charles played 43 snaps on O last year.  By contrast Brownlee played 311 and Gipson 496.  Hell, even Malik Taylor played 51.  Charles had 236 special teams snaps and Hardee had 263, but while supposedly a corner he literally played 0 defensive snaps.  Remember we had a game that Reed and Gardner missed with concussions and Carter II went out with a hamstring.  Hardee still didn't play D.  They just signed Davis who also might compete for that role though he has a better path to the field on regular downs.

I am not 100% against bringing Cobb back.  He *probably* helps the newer guys with the O and the hand signal sh*t.  With Lazard in the sh*thouse it might be better to have Cobb around to help.  They added Williams and most likely at least one more higher level weapon so there will be some adapting.  I totally agree that he should not be on the regular rotational roster, but I might want him in camp as a guy that is on his couch that we can call up in an emergency and as an extra coach on the field or sideline through camp.  Like Lazard, he was atrocious last season, but he more seemed to just suck while Lazard seemed to be a dog (a lazy dog, not gotta get me some dogs or whatever the kool kats are saying). 

I still have solid hope for Brownlee.  More than most of the board obviously.  That does not prevent me from bringing anybody else in, but I still have hope for him to make an impact.  He is super long and aside from his pedestrian 40 and shuttle he tested really well.  Coming from Southern Miss he surely could use some seasoning and I think he suits Rodgers much more than Wilson.  I think they like him, but his inability to play specials keeps him inactive so who knows? 

35 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There was no evidence they were putting any $ squeeze on him (let alone any circumstantial evidence to warrant a "probably" description). Even less likely seeing as how they were inviting him to return, and if it was about money there wouldn't have been this whole charade about personal reasons, seeing how teams have no need to hide putting that squeeze on a player. 

Anyway that's the kind of stuff that comes out afterward (certainly Davis has no incentive to keep such secrets for Douglas now, after being released). 

Right.  If he quit because they were putting the squeeze on him, why not just say **** you and get cut?  He'd be in the same situation as now only with another season worth of salary under his belt. 

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

There were murmurs and no evidence the other way at all either.  I'd rending tea leaves but one day we will find out he story.

We paid Lazrd term and dollars like a #2, he was rodgers fav buddie, #2 Davis was going down the depth chart for sure.

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Saleh got a pass for 2023, JD got a pass for 2023, I'll give him a pass too on short leash.

if they end up trading or cutting him I would lose sleep either way.

Lazard will be given an opportunity to make the team. The Jets will cut him if he gets beaten out. If the Jets do not draft a QB then Zach will be guaranteed a roster spot.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Lazard will be given an opportunity to make the team. The Jets will cut him if he gets beaten out. If the Jets do not draft a QB then Zach will be guaranteed a roster spot.

Zach is a gonner - rich kids get their way and he wants out - they will not keep a player for spite

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

There were murmurs and no evidence the other way at all either.  I'd rending tea leaves but one day we will find out he story.

We paid Lazrd term and dollars like a #2, he was rodgers fav buddie, #2 Davis was going down the depth chart for sure.

Just because they worked out last season and came to Jets together doesn't make them BFFs.  AR will break up with him if he doesn't put out.

3 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

Zach is a gonner - rich kids get their way and he wants out - they will not keep a player for spite

I don’t think it’s spite. I think both sides realize it’s the only option. Besides close to Utah the next thing Zach is looking for is the least amount of responsibility possible, which the Jets can offer.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

I don’t think it’s spite. I think both sides realize it’s the only option. Besides close to Utah the next thing Zach is looking for is the least amount of responsibility possible, which the Jets can offer.

nah gonner

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

Lazard was an absolute embarrassment last year, a lazy bum who played poorly on his own (i.e. things he should have done regardless of Zach being the QB).

Because the focus is on getting Zach off the team, I feel like Lazard has gotten little comment here this offseason, but he's still a Jet as of now.

Is there a real chance that JD and Saleh (and Rodgers) see HIM as the starting #3 WR this season?  And that they don't see WR as a draft need the way many of us fans do?

And if so, if the JEts think Wilson/Williams/Lazard is more than good enough, how does that change the meta for that #10 pick, if at all?

besides the money i dont believe he is done at 28 yrs old. he was pretty good in GB and plays one year with Zach and he is the worst WR we ever seen? 

not buying it.

Corey Davis was really good in Tenn and in 2 years had trouble catching passes from Zach too. i dont know what GW catch percentage was in college but with Zach its only a poor 56%.

if you drew Zach a map to Eliajah Moore, he still couldn't find him. he goes to Cleveland and gets 104 targets.

its not a coincidence that WRs died here with Zach. and plenty of evidence they all played better with other QBs. 

i think Lazard will play better with Rodgers and could be a decent WR 3-4. but i do hope like you do we draft a WR at 10. or that TE if he is as good and people claim. i dont watch college so i will take everybody's word for it.

and no Cobb for sure. he should have been cut the first day.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I recall zero murmurs beyond some fan wishes.

Also, deviating from the scheduled/default outcome is what requires evidence, not continuing with it. One doesn't need evidence to suggest not changing something.

If their true goal was to demote and put a squeeze on Davis (and risk losing him if he refused), then they'd have signed or drafted another WR, but they didn't. 

They paid him that much to Lazard because it was an ultra-weak FA class for WRs, and one of the couple better ones - Hopkins - had already publicly shot down the idea of going to the Jets. Throw in a bit more to show Rodgers they were committed to getting him, on top of the usual Jets tax for offensive players. 

He was the WR3, and they paid more than a typical WR3 would command (or be needed) because of the reasons above plus the common knowledge that Davis missed so many games they needed a bit more.

There is zero evidence and there were zero murmurs that the Jets were cutting or putting a squeeze on Davis. The only such murmurs came from fans who wanted him cut so the team could then upgrade, but no such murmurs leaked from the team.

FFS people are clamoring to use a #10 pick for a player who'd be a WR3 this year. That is a far bigger investment than slightly overpaying a WR3 $11MM instead of about $8-9MM in a player's market for FA WRs.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I wouldn't pass up a 1st round WR because of him, but I wouldn't force the issue over a better-prospect tackle either. There are veteran UFA WRs still out there capable of filling WR3 duties (and spot-start WR2 duties) for a season - ones who will be content with their 40-50% snaps role or duke that out with Lazard - if the Jets hold off on WR until round 3 and he's not polished enough to start week 1. 

To be fair, we could say the same about a 2nd string OT. Same argument for whether or not we draft an RB. If there's one thing I'm glad about for this off season it's that the Jets go into the draft with a full set of "starters" and can truly draft for talent.

Of course, some might say this an argument to take Bowers, but I just hope the Jets take the best damn guy with every pick. I do hope they have Alt, Odunze and Nabers higher on their board tho

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

NFL teams generally keep what, 6 WR's on the roster?

So who are ours in 2024?

1. Wilson (locked)

2. Williams (locked, for as long as he can stay healthy)

3.  ?  Draft Pick?  Lazard?

4.  ?  Gipson?  Draft Pick?  Lazard?

5. Cobb?  Gipson?  Draft Pick?  Surely not Lazard as his price?

6.  Brownlee?

This doesn't look like a strong unit to me.  Wilson is great.  Williams is good enough, if healthy.  But behind those two?  Trash.  Lazard was an embarrassment and a healthy scratch.  Gipson is a fringe roster talent.  Same for Brownlee.    

If we wind up with a Wilson/Williams/Lazard/Cobb/Gipson WR group, is that good enough?

Very likely the WR group is:

Wilson

Williams 

3/4/5 Gipson/Lazard/draft pick (if we somehow get Odunze or Nabers they're immediately WR 3. otherwise they're the no. 5 to start the season but likely to pass lazard by mid season and possibly Gipson by the end of the year) 

Brownlee/Charles/unknown 

Yes, lazard as the number four or number five receiver is a terrible use of 11 million dollars in cap and cash. But it's also the reality of where he is in the pecking order given his play last year. Gipson is definitely ahead of him on the depth chart. 

Now is it possible that lazard could have a great training camp and retake that third wide receiver role? Of course it's possible. But unlikely.

On 4/11/2024 at 9:51 PM, Mr. Rogers said:

To be fair, we could say the same about a 2nd string OT. Same argument for whether or not we draft an RB. If there's one thing I'm glad about for this off season it's that the Jets go into the draft with a full set of "starters" and can truly draft for talent.

Of course, some might say this an argument to take Bowers, but I just hope the Jets take the best damn guy with every pick. I do hope they have Alt, Odunze and Nabers higher on their board tho

I think when the need is not a primary one then you don't draft for need. If they had no left tackle at all, then the pick is obvious. If they only had one WR, then the pick is obvious. Stuff like that. When the need is an upgrade at WR3 there are LOTS of available players who could adequately fill the role for the season, that isn't nearly the same thing. 

After this season, Williams is a 31 year-old UFA, and both of their current starting tackles will be 34 year-old UFAs, too. I have a tough time getting past the team taking neither of those two positions at #10. I'm only good with Bowers as a hindsight pick - i.e. knowing he ended up being a 1000-yard, 10-score TE - and that hindsight isn't on the table. Like taking a center at #10 -- he'd better be a 1st ballot HOFer if you're burning such a high pick on a secondary position, because you're passing up on a lot of players who'll have a bigger impact on winning football games. 

Hopefully one of the 3 you mention is still on the board. The projections seem to be that a minimum of 2 of them will be off the board by #7, but who knows.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I pretty much agree with this, but I do have a few comments. 

Irv Charles will probably be taking Justin Hardee's roster spot.  Though he is ostensibly a WR, he will primarily be gunner/designated special teamer.  Charles played 43 snaps on O last year.  By contrast Brownlee played 311 and Gipson 496.  Hell, even Malik Taylor played 51.  Charles had 236 special teams snaps and Hardee had 263, but while supposedly a corner he literally played 0 defensive snaps.  Remember we had a game that Reed and Gardner missed with concussions and Carter II went out with a hamstring.  Hardee still didn't play D.  They just signed Davis who also might compete for that role though he has a better path to the field on regular downs.

I am not 100% against bringing Cobb back.  He *probably* helps the newer guys with the O and the hand signal sh*t.  With Lazard in the sh*thouse it might be better to have Cobb around to help.  They added Williams and most likely at least one more higher level weapon so there will be some adapting.  I totally agree that he should not be on the regular rotational roster, but I might want him in camp as a guy that is on his couch that we can call up in an emergency and as an extra coach on the field or sideline through camp.  Like Lazard, he was atrocious last season, but he more seemed to just suck while Lazard seemed to be a dog (a lazy dog, not gotta get me some dogs or whatever the kool kats are saying). 

I still have solid hope for Brownlee.  More than most of the board obviously.  That does not prevent me from bringing anybody else in, but I still have hope for him to make an impact.  He is super long and aside from his pedestrian 40 and shuttle he tested really well.  Coming from Southern Miss he surely could use some seasoning and I think he suits Rodgers much more than Wilson.  I think they like him, but his inability to play specials keeps him inactive so who knows? 

Oh I agree on all accounts. 

1. Irv Charles 100% makes it because he is a gunner and replaced Hardee. But he is still a WR, will be carried on the roster as a WR and frankly, will probably get some more snaps on offense because the Jets will actually want to utilize him more than just a special teamer. He has size, speed and great athleticism.

2. I'm not against bringing Cobb back either. And if they want to bring him into camp, fine. But like I said, there is simply no room for him on the roster. The will carry no more than 6 WRs and assuming they draft a WR (which they will), there is no way they are signing him and cutting one of Brownlee, Gipson or Charles. And Cobb can't be on PS, unless I am mistaken.

3. Yup. Brownlee will be one of those guys fighting for the final WR spot. I like him as well. But again. Just not a lot of room on the depth chart assuming the Jets draft a WR (which they will). Charles solidified his spot (IMO), so its really between Gipson and Brownlee. Gipson adds a factor to specials as a returner (although he had some fumbles), so it will be hard to surpass him, IMO. But that depends on the type of rookie they draft. If its a guy who can play the slot and return, well, that makes Gipson a lot more dispensable. If Brownlee has a great camp, on top of that, well Brownlee might take that last spot. And of course, another WR not yet known (maybe the Jets draft two WRs? maybe an UDFA?) will enter the fray?   

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

I read your thread title and Pink Floyd Money instantly rang thru my head.  I do associate you with PF for some unknown reason.  

16 hours ago, Warfish said:

no, it is not good enough.

and imo, it is highly unlikely to end up that way, so no need to fret until the draft comes and goes and they don't take anyone and then post-draft free agency comes and goes and they don't add anyone.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Channeling your inner Kevin Spacey character from American Beauty? Love it.😁

• Haha 1