Late Round QB For The Jets

Just a quick though...

I watch every ND game.  I like Same Hartman.

I HOPE the Jets take him with one of their later picks.

I think he could turn out to be a starter once he has stability. He could also be useless, but he has good raw materials.

If not him, perhaps Spencer Ratler...

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Just a quick though...

I watch every ND game.  I like Same Hartman.

I HOPE the Jets take him with one of their later picks.

I think he could turn out to be a starter once he has stability. He could also be useless, but he has good raw materials.

If not him, perhaps Spencer Ratler...

Watching Rattler I'm not impressed.  His best plays were often bad throws gathered in by the athletic freak of a receiver Xavier Leggette.   

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

Kedon Slovis and Devin Leary (Kentucky) are 2 I would be interested in the 7th round if we don't go for Pratt in the 4th.

Those two, plus Carter Bradley, are my preferred options for our Mr Irrelevant QB pick.

Slovis looked particularly good at the combine, which was a surprise to me.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Watching Rattler I'm not impressed.  His best plays were often bad throws gathered in by the athletic freak of a receiver Xavier Leggette.   

agree, but he would still be a good late round pick

57 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Hartman was pure awful both at the senior bowl and at the combine.  As in really bad, udfa level.

Indeed he was. His combine throws were a quality display of mistimed inaccuracy.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Those two, plus Carter Bradley, are my preferred options for our Mr Irrelevant QB pick.

Slovis looked particularly good at the combine, which was a surprise to me.

Not sure what happened to him (Slovis) after his big freshman year @ USC

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Indeed he was. His combine throws were a quality display of mistimed inaccuracy.

Tanner McKey had a poor combine last year, but very much impressed the Eagles with what he did in camp/pre season. 

Take the combine and throw it away.  Good for meet and greet and good for prospects like Vern Gholston to impress with inane punt pass and kick contest

• Upvote 1

What little I've seen about him as a draft prospect hasn't been heartwarming. If he's an UDFA, sure, take a look during the offseason if there's interest.

I don't think it makes great sense for the Jets to draft a QB this year unless they think they are drafting a future starter. The team is committed to Rodgers and needs to surround him with a successful offense as much as possible. Douglas needs to make something out of the Rodgers experiment if he hopes to land an extension. Taking away a potential asset puts that at risk. Also not helpful to him to show Woody he failed with another drafted QB at the same time he's looking for an extension where he will necessarily be asked to source a replacement starter for Rodgers in the next 1-3 (?) years. 

Also, the team seems locked in to three QBs already. If the team really needs a fourth QB, it would be better to source an experienced backup who are not in short supply right now. 

20 minutes ago, usanyj said:

I’d be happy with Travis or Pratt in the 4th

I'd prefer they used the 3rd pick on OT after taking Bowers in the 1st round and 4th round on  WR for depth/development and get the project QB/camp arm in the 6th or 7th. 

9 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Hartman sucks. Sorry but he's got no arm at all and won't be able to complete routine passes. 

He's UDFA material.

could be... that's why he's a late rounder.  i don't think his arm is any weaker than montana's was.  i see his problem being erratic passing.  he's not accurate.  not sure why.  footwork and throwing motion is not polished, nor is it awful.  i think he needs coaching to help consistency.  i'd say 5 % chance he works out in the NFL.  

12 minutes ago, Larz said:

pratt the best of the qb's that are going to be taken after round three, I think... BUT... as mentioned above, i really think they need to use round 3 on OT and round 4 on WR or vice versa considering they take Bowers in the 1st round.  The QB pick should be a long shot / camp arm guy in the 5th, 6th or 7th round like hartman.

the next franchise qb can wait until 2026 draft cause rodgers is born again hard.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sirlancemehlot said:

You should watch more.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Tanner McKey had a poor combine last year, but very much impressed the Eagles with what he did in camp/pre season. 

Take the combine and throw it away.  Good for meet and greet and good for prospects like Vern Gholston to impress with inane punt pass and kick contest

The combine is totally relevant for QBs, if you are spraying it all over he place in easy controlled environs you are in trouble.

4 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Agreed, he is not good, being over hyped in the 2nd tier qb listings imo.

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Rattler is not good at all, he is worse than the junk QBs from other years like Ridder.  He will never amount to anything,

Wholly disagree.  Did some incredible stuff in college last year.  Lots of folks dismissing it because he's been kind of a d--k in the past.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The combine is totally relevant for QBs, if you are spraying it all over he place in easy controlled environs you are in trouble.

perhaps yes, perhaps not in some cases. 

12 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Jets have met with:

Jordan Travis

Michael Pratt

Jayden Daniels

Caleb Williams

Drake Maye

Davius Richard

Kedon Slovis

Richard is interesting, I hadn't seen that reported before.

From a smaller school, but has an elite athletic profile. Would be the first HBCU QB drafted since Tarvaris Jackson.

Another contender for our Mr Irrelevant QB pick!

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

Interesting.  Can you post some examples of this?

Leggette is a 5y college player who literally didn’t do jack until his 5th year.

One might argue Leggette owes his draft status much more to Rattler than vice versa.

I don’t watch a ton of college football but did see quite a bit of S. Car and Rattler was often victimized by drops.

The knock on Rattler is he’s a gunslinger who takes too many chances and might be an INT machine in the NFL.

Bur he has NFL talent and ability.

• Upvote 1

Pratt from Tulane would be a solid use of Round 4 pick - I think the more you read up about him, the more there is to like - but without listing his pros and cons, I think he'd have a high probability of becoming an asset as a backup and decent chance of an NFL career (his ceiling being a Purdy-like player? That's his comp). The value would match the pick. 

On 4/12/2024 at 11:00 AM, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Interesting.  Can you post some examples of this?

Leggette is a 5y college player who literally didn’t do jack until his 5th year.

One might argue Leggette owes his draft status much more to Rattler than vice versa.

I don’t watch a ton of college football but did see quite a bit of S. Car and Rattler was often victimized by drops.

The knock on Rattler is he’s a gunslinger who takes too many chances and might be an INT machine in the NFL.

Bur he has NFL talent and ability.

• Upvote 1