Excellent news from Foxboro

The pats should trade down, they need a serious infusion of talent.

Build the team first at least to some extent and then get the QB.

Always works better than way.

If they traded 3 to Minny for 11, 23 and a 2nd  and 3rd next year or something like that they would come away with a new LT and a decent Wr this year and more pieces next year.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If they traded 3 to Minny for 11, 23 and a 2nd  and 3rd next year or something like that they would come away with a new LT and a decent Wr this year and more pieces next year.

I agree with this thinking.  After all, there is no guarantee that whatever QB they pick at #3 will end up being great.  He might end up being like Zach Wilson. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

So Russini is credible only when she is not reporting on the jets? Okay got it 

Jon Kraft is why Mayo is the coach, not Vrabel. That's a win for us. "Dynasty" was  the coming out party for the born on 3rd base moron. Russini may not be a great nor even honest reporter. Simply happy a meddling sheetheel is running the show up there...into the ground. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Take a swing for a stud qb.  Not every team fails miserably like the Jets at picking top 5 qb’s

Kraft regime keeping the Belichick era goons instead of bringing in fresh minds feels like a massive mistake.  They are prioritizing meddling in day to day affairs over moving on from Lord Belichick.

• Upvote 3

Hubris is very, very powerful.  Jonathan Kraft oozes it.

The Jets can actually do very well in their division.  Miami is no where for red blooded athletes to live smartly, the Patriots are going to run themselves into the ground, and the Bills will follow the path of Cam Newton, who Josh Allen was modeled after (by the same people in Carolina).  

Drake Maye at 3 will destroy a weak franchise.  Let the Vikings and his HS coach, Josh McCown, someone else with different hubris, take him.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The jets did it twice, the pats (mac jones) did it, san fran did it (lance) Chicago did it (fields), panthers did it (bryce young)

You take that swing on a team with no weapons, no oline and the guy is ruined before he has a chance to get good.

Build the team then add a QB if you have to trade up after, fine but give the new guy a chance.

The last time the jets were any good?  Their rookie QB with lots of flaws led them to two afc title games becasue he came on to a mostly built team.

Fair points.  My counterpoint? Hit on Stroud, Burrow, Allen, Jackson, Lawrence, Mahomes, and everything else falls into place. 

• Post of the Week 1

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yea then they can trade for Zach and go 4-13. 

19 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Yea then they can trade for Zach and go 4-13. 

The thought that once Zach Wilson gets dumped we would no longer be subjected to silly stuff like this was for sure a pipe dream.

But alas Zach Wilson will be haunting these forums for years yet  i see.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Pats' goal clearly is to trade down and draft not one, but two TEs. If there's a guard with a 6th round score, then Pats will draft him in the first round, then go after those two TEs!

The Patriots Way

Still amazes me how Tom Brady carried a bunch of random dudes, failed Draft classes and a Head Coach who I believe has a career losing record without Brady to multiple Super Bowls over almost 20 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

Give the patsies some credit.  They’ve managed to put together some strong AFL/AFC teams in every decade from the 60’s.  No telling if they’re going to be able to repeat in the next decade.

They lucked into the GOAT in round 6 24 years ago.  Take away Brady They’re almost as f’d up as the jets 

22 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The jets did it twice, the pats (mac jones) did it, san fran did it (lance) Chicago did it (fields), panthers did it (bryce young)

You take that swing on a team with no weapons, no oline and the guy is ruined before he has a chance to get good.

Build the team then add a QB if you have to trade up after, fine but give the new guy a chance.

The last time the jets were any good?  Their rookie QB with lots of flaws led them to two afc title games becasue he came on to a mostly built team.

Pats have a very good defense, very similar to us. They just didnt have a QB, very similar to us, but can get one now.They are not that far off.  I would take Maye, sit him for a year and they'd be a totally different team in a couple years.

23 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Pats have a very good defense, very similar to us. They just didnt have a QB, very similar to us, but can get one now.They are not that far off.  I would take Maye, sit him for a year and they'd be a totally different team in a couple years.

They have nothing at WR.  They’ve relied on Brady making JAGs look amazing for 20 years so they neglect the position.  They should draft MHJ or Nabers then get a qb in the later rounds or next year

Not really impressed by most of the QBs in this year’s draft other than Penix.  Caleb could be good but he’s not going to a good situation in Chicago and he knows it.I don’t think this is a dumpster fire Qb draft class like 2021 when it was obvious Trevor was the only legit guy I’m just not really impressed by most of the 1st round rated guys 

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Still amazes me how Tom Brady carried a bunch of random dudes, failed Draft classes and a Head Coach who I believe has a career losing record without Brady to multiple Super Bowls over almost 20 years.

Brady did two things: First, he covered up Bill's terrible draft pics, and Second, he allowed Bill to focus (almost entirely) on the Defensive side of the ball.

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2024 at 6:53 PM, Bugg said:

The boy wonder Jonathan Kraft thinks he knows something about football; blessed are we 

https://x.com/DMRussini/status/1782473125453558183

Tom Curran on his podcast, who called Russini a friend of the show called BS on this.

17 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

They lucked into the GOAT in round 6 24 years ago.  Take away Brady They’re almost as f’d up as the jets 

They would be worse with no titles.

On 4/22/2024 at 9:04 PM, Tooooon said:

Kraft regime keeping the Belichick era goons instead of bringing in fresh minds feels like a massive mistake.  They are prioritizing meddling in day to day affairs over moving on from Lord Belichick.

Bringing in Vrabel would have been a Belichick era goon.  Part of his falling out in TN was he wanted more control in "shopping for the groceries".  

The Mayo Wolf era, for better or worse is going to be an era where they communicate, to a degree, their intentions.  Both have given actual interviews. Not mumbling through uttering complete double speak.

54 minutes ago, PFSIKH said:

Tom Curran on his podcast, who called Russini a friend of the show called BS on this.

They would be worse with no titles.

Bringing in Vrabel would have been a Belichick era goon.  Part of his falling out in TN was he wanted more control in "shopping for the groceries".  

The Mayo Wolf era, for better or worse is going to be an era where they communicate, to a degree, their intentions.  Both have given actual interviews. Not mumbling through uttering complete double speak.

Suspect Wolf is probably pretty capable. Left alone, he'll do a decent job on personnel. But with Lil'Jonathan sticking his nose in there, who really knows. 

But Vrabel, what ever else you can say about him, is an experienced NFL coach. He's had some success. That's a huge learning curve, and it smacks of meddling ownership that wants to prove to everyone how smart they are .  There's no way Mayo should have gotten the job over Vrabel. The Mayo Wolf Era is going to be the Jonathan Kraft Era, whether you characterize it as that or not. 

On 4/22/2024 at 8:05 PM, Beerfish said:

And when the team is built, and winning enough games to get the 15th pick in the draft, they will get their franchise QB......how?

It's a nice thought, build a perfect landing spot for a young QB first, then draft him.

In reality though, it rarely works that way.  Built teams without QB's (or with placeholder QB's) often win just enough to not have any shot at the top QB's without a massive, franchise future killing, trade up.

You pay now or you pay later.  

18 hours ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

If the pats were smart they would draft MHJ or Nabers and try to talk Brady into coming back one more season so he can retire a Patriot 

but they’re not😆

I think that 7% of the Raiders Brady owns prohibits anything like that. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

Suspect Wolf is probably pretty capable. Left alone, he'll do a decent job on personnel. But with Lil'Jonathan sticking his nose in there, who really knows. 

But Vrabel, what ever else you can say about him, is an experienced NFL coach. He's had some success. That's a huge learning curve, and it smacks of meddling ownership that wants to prove to everyone how smart they are .  There's no way Mayo should have gotten the job over Vrabel. The Mayo Wolf Era is going to be the Jonathan Kraft Era, whether you characterize it as that or not. 

Tom Curran spent a few minutes on the Jonathan Kraft/Diane Russini talk.  He said, the Krafts have always been involved in so much they were looped into trades and things of that nature even when Belichick was involved.  Now, he did not bet his left nut that she is out there.  Him and Phil Perry do not think the Krafts are pulling a Jerry Jones.   Russini might be on to something, but I will trust them until proven otherwise.

As far as Vrabel, I was excited when he became available.  I would not have minded if he was the HC of the NEP for the reasons you gave.  My belief, the Kraft Patriots have always tried to mirror the Pittsburgh Steelers in how they run things.  I think hiring Mayo was the Krafts attempt at adding that former player, youngish coach with some coaching experience.  I think it is a hire for the next 15-20 years.  A learning curve is probably assumed.

• Upvote 2