Power Rankings - where would you put the Jets right now?

In the AFC on paper I have us 2nd.

In reality though bc we actually have done nothing and these other teams have done more than us… I have us at 5th.

1. KC

2. BAL

3. CIN

4. BUF

Now I question if Burrow and Lamar can stay healthy. They darn near Italy get injured. Where ARs was incredibly uncharacteristic for him. So take that as you will.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

based on what? An old, over the hill injured O lineman acquisition or two? An old injured wr coming off knee surgery? Our superior coaching staff? An old over the hill qb?

Ronnie Lott says hi.

Art Monk says Hi.

Not trying to be negative but I am tired of getting my hopes up, making bold claims in the offseason only to once again be the worst, or close to the worst team in the league

Rooster Teeth Reaction GIF by Achievement Hunter

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

We are working on an updated JetNation Power Ranking article. Just curious, with the free agency moves so far, where would you put the Jets right now?

10th.  And I'm being generous.  A lot of question marks right now.  10th is where I would place them, and no lower than #12.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

based on what? An old, over the hill injured O lineman acquisition or two? An old injured wr coming off knee surgery? Our superior coaching staff? An old over the hill qb?

Ronnie Lott says hi.

Art Monk says Hi.

Not trying to be negative but I am tired of getting my hopes up, making bold claims in the offseason only to once again be the worst, or close to the worst team in the league

So this is about you. 

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Aaron Rodgers alone makes them top 5.

Hell tyrod Taylor makes them top 12.

This assumes other teams don't take big leaps. The Texans and Packers have young QBs who can take big steps forward.

I say top 12 because there are about 12 teams that you can make a reasonable case for being top contenders if things break right. The Jets are one of them.

Putting them at a specific spot and high in the rankings seems wishful thinking. Look at the Bills last year. They were probably ranked #1 going into the season. 

I heard we just traded the worst qb in the history of the NFL. A street free agent coming in at qb, should at least give us 3 more wins than last year, based on that computation. Right? That would put the Jets at at least 10 wins. 

Last year, only 9 teams had more than 10 wins.

So by the addition by subtraction formula, this put the Jets around the top 1/3 of the league. So easy. 

The Jets look like a top 10 unit on paper and on paper is all we can go by right now. The overall talent of the roster is undeniable, it just needs to come together on the field and we'll need better injury luck this time around.

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Middle of the pack at best until such time they actually PROVE they're not the same old poop in a prettier wrapper in 2024.

1. Can Rodgers play more than 4 plays, and if he does is he still good.  TBD.

2. Can the O-line last more than 2 games without major injury.  TBD.

3. Can the absolutely vital-to-success #2 WR play more than a few games before being lost for the season.  TBD.

4. Does the Offense look like a Pro Offense and not the lazy, predictable, uncaring crap we saw Hackett the Hack call last year.  TBD.

5. Is the D still top 10, something Fans take entirely for granted.  TBD.

We're a perennial 5-7 win team with a TON of ?, especially on out perennially worst-in-NFL offense.

Ranking this team anywhere close tot he top of the NFL is pure projection at this point, until some things start getting proven ON the field, not "on paper". 

I get that the usual suspects are going to play the usual chest-puffery-optimism thing they do every year, but yeah, lol.

pre- preseason power rankings are always based on pure projection.  when they start getting proven on the field is when the regular season rankings come into play

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Now I question if Burrow and Lamar can stay healthy. They darn near Italy get injured. Where ARs was incredibly uncharacteristic for him. So take that as you will.

It's not uncharacteristic for a player in their 19th nfl season to get hurt 

The Jets power ranking is like 20th. 

they have the worst oc in football 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

Aaron Rodgers alone makes them top 5.

Hell tyrod Taylor makes them top 12.

The Jets almost beat the Chiefs with Zach all game - blowing it early, and then blowing it late. Swap him for Rodgers, the obvious OL improvements, Breece being full time from week 1, adding a serious WR2 to the Jets and remove the only WR the Chiefs had in the first place, and obviously the Jets are obviously catapulted into the team to beat.

Obviously the Jets should be #1 right now. Obviously.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

pre- preseason power rankings are always based on pure projection.  when they start getting proven on the field is when the regular season rankings come into play

Which is why I will never understand the absolute desperation some Jets fans have to rank the Jets at the top of April Power Rankings, or obsess over Power Rankings, or bemoan when we're not ranked as high as they desire on Power Rankings.  

Power Rankings are about as meaningful as how many hairs I have on my ass.

Worse, the "we MUST be #3 in the NFL in Power Rankings" posts just reek of desperation, not legitimate optimism.  Look at the first few posts, it's the same guys who every year, no matter what, go all over-the-top about how "great" the Jets are, lol.  It's like a right of Spring at this point.

Blah blah "on paper", blah blah "power rankings", whatever.  It's April.  When it's September, win games.  That's what matters, not Power Rankings.

Lets worry about something real, the Draft, tomorrow.  That matters.  This thread doesn't.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, bitonti said:

would you like to make a wager (charity) that the Jets have a better than 20th record in the league this coming year.    This assumes that Rodgers plays more than 2/3 of the snaps.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Which is why I will never understand the absolute desperation some Jets fans have to rank the Jets at the top of April Power Rankings, or obsess over Power Rankings, or bemoan when we're not ranked as high as they desire on Power Rankings.  

Worse, the "we MUST be #3 in the NFL in Power Rankings" posts just reek of desperation, not legitimate optimism.  Look at the first few posts, it's the same guys who every year, no matter what, go all over-the-top about how "great" the Jets are, lol.  It's like a right of Spring at this point.

Blah blah "on paper", blah blah "power rankings", whatever.  It's April.  When it's September, win games.  That's what matters, not Power Rankings.

some people find enjoyment in mocking the coaches/team/owner - others find enjoyment having hope for a good season (all thru the offseason).

it's just different ways to have enjoyment.  

Just now, batman10023 said:

some people find enjoyment in mocking the coaches/team/owner - others find enjoyment having hope for a good season (all thru the offseason).

it's just different ways to have enjoyment.  

I find making accurate rational reasonable predictions to be fun.  

Then I find hoping (rooting) that we exceed those predictions on Sundays to be fun.

If it's "fun" to year after year after year be a massive over-the-top hype-lord only to see the team perform it's annual collapse to mediocrity every year, well......that kind of "fun" is beyond my understanding.  Seems like it's not that much fun to looks utterly stupid and be completely wrong all the time in the name of "optimism fun". 

We all have hope for a good season.

We don't all have to be ridiculous in our hyper-optimism about it.

I have the Jets somewhere between 5-8th depending on how the draft goes down.  Obviously still a huge amount of uncertainty due to the injuries, but we have proven talent all over the field.  More than that, a lot of top teams have gotten significantly worse this offseason. And of the up and comers, we are easily the most ready to win now.

I think we win the division for the first time in however long and we make it deep in the playoffs….

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, WhartonJet said:

Where would everyone put the Bills after the Diggs trade?  You have to assume they will go WR early in the draft.  Wonder how that offense will look

You don't replace the talent of a Stefon Diggs in the draft. Heck, the Vikings lucked into him in the 5th round. It is a total crapshoot. The Bills first pick is at 28, So they'd have to trade up to get a shot at any of the bigger named WRs in the draft. And they need more than 1 WR. Plus I don't know why they think they can replace Hyde and Poyer with Rapp and Edwards. Safety may not be a high valued position in the NFL, but when you've got 2 really good Safeties lined up together in your D, it makes your D so much better. 

41 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Lets worry about something real, the Draft, tomorrow.  That matters.  This thread doesn't.

April powers bring sperm showers.

Hater.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This is HYSTERICAL. Comedy gold.

Let's not discuss where the Jets are perceived to stand based on the known roster moves so far versus the rest of the league.

Let's discuss what the Jets should do in the draft, even though we have no control over it.

Love it.  :)

58 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Please give some examples of QBs that got hurt in their 19th season. I can't think of any.

• Haha 4

Just now, Maxman said:

This is HYSTERICAL. Comedy gold.

I aim to please, old friend.

Just now, Maxman said:

Let's not discuss where the Jets are perceived to stand based on the known roster moves so far versus the rest of the league.

You mean before the draft, before camp, before any late FA moves, before pre-season injuries, etc.  I.e. our power rank in April.

Yeah, a vital and truly meaningful issue, I'm sure. 

Especially with the usual manic hyper "optimism" thrown in, lol.  Remind me what you thought our record would be the last few years?  How did that turn out?

Would you prefer I just said "we're the best roster that has ever existed in the history of sports"?  Would I fit in better then?  You ask, I'll do it!  YOU KNOW I'LL DO IT!!!! \\:D/

Just now, Maxman said:

Let's discuss what the Jets should do in the draft, even though we have no control over it.

You also have no control over how much "Power" the Jets have or do not have, you know. 

But yes, the excitement for the Draft is what's driving all those wonderful hits to your forum right now, not our "power ranking", if we're being technical.

Just now, Maxman said:

Love it.  :)

Love you too Phil, always glad to be the Ying to your Yang this time of year.  

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I aim to please, old friend.

You mean before the draft, before camp, before any late FA moves, before pre-season injuries, etc.  I.e. our power rank in April.

Yeah, a vital and truly meaningful issue, I'm sure. 

Especially with the usual manic hyper "optimism" thrown in, lol.  Remind me what you thought our record would be the last few years?  How did that turn out?

Would you prefer I just said "we're the best roster that has ever existed in the history of sports"?  Would I fit in better then?  You ask, I'll do it!  YOU KNOW I'LL DO IT!!!! \\:D/

You also have no control over how much "Power" the Jets have or do not have, you know. 

But yes, the excitement for the Draft is what's driving all those wonderful hits to your forum right now, not our "power ranking", if we're being technical.

Love you too Phil, always glad to be the Ying to your Yang this time of year.  

I’m not a fan of power rankings at any point in the season, really, but I don’t see the harm, either. I see them as a snapshot in time. Kinda like looking at political polls this far out; they don’t mean much but they might mean something. And they help pass the time. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m not a fan of power rankings at any point in the season, really, but I don’t see the harm, either. I see them as a snapshot in time. Kinda like looking at political polls this far out; they don’t mean much but they might mean something. And they help pass the time. 

Me.

old-man-yells-at-cloud-yelling.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

would you like to make a wager (charity) that the Jets have a better than 20th record in the league this coming year.    This assumes that Rodgers plays more than 2/3 of the snaps.

No I won't take that bet because of your last sentence 

The Jets have an amazing roster "if healthy" 

The problem is it take 20 games to win the Super bowl and they aren't going to healthy 

Just now, bitonti said:

No I won't take that bet because of your last sentence 

The Jets have an amazing roster "if healthy" 

The problem is it take 20 games to win the Super bowl and they aren't going to healthy 

Hey Bit, I bet you the Jets win the Super Bowl.

This assumes, of course, that everything goes perfectly for us, and goes horribly for the other 31 teams.  If not, bets off.

TAKE MY BET, BITONTI, YOU SPINELESS COWARD!!!!

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I remember Saints fans saying this from the 1970s till the 2000s.  And then they became one of the best franchises in football.

Post UK Woody is one of the top owners in the league.  Joe D and Robert Saleh are one of the best, young gm/coach tandems in the league.

All they have been missing is a qb.  And that is not missing anymore.

Ok nice we are back to hopelessly optimistic joe.

How long before u turn on the team again lol

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

The face of mental illness is actually the only one besides me living in reality. Wow.

some of u guys saying top 2 or 5. Its kinda funny but i hooe i am wrong

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, batman10023 said:

Oh ok! So a bold claim that ends with “if” our qb lives through the season?

This team has played zero snaps and has had zero practices.  Everything is being gaged on past performances.  It may turn out really good but past performance is not a guarantor of future success.  Let’s see how they are coming out of the training camp.