Jets trade up to 3.1: Select WR Malachi Corley

Corley ran a 4.59 40.  Are there comparable WRs who run that type of speed?  Fwiw, Deebo ran 4.48.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/26/sports/jets-trade-up-pick-receiver-malachi-corley-in-third-round-of-nfl-draft/

Recruited as a cornerback out of high school, he became a star for Western Kentucky, catching 29 touchdown passes the last three seasons while hauling in 253 receptions for 2,968 yards. Corley isn’t a blazer — he ran a 4.59 40-yard dash at his Pro Day.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/south-carolina-wide-receiver-deebo-samuel-run-an-official-4-48-40-yard-da-422600

South Carolina wide receiver Deebo Samuel run an official 4.48 40-yard dash at 2019 combine

17 minutes ago, Alka said:

According to Steve Smith Jr., Corley is the steal of the draft!  I'll take that!

Yeah this dude is no joke. I really thought he had a chance at getting picked by San Fran in the 1st or the Rams in the 2nd.

11 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

This kid has what it takes to be just like Deebo and he should be used that way 

Yes, of course.  But...  um.... Hackett..  Please forward your advice to him b/c I don't think he gets it.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Corley ran a 4.59 40.  Are there comparable WRs who run that type of speed?  Fwiw, Deebo rand 4.48.

https://nypost.com/2024/04/26/sports/jets-trade-up-pick-receiver-malachi-corley-in-third-round-of-nfl-draft/

Recruited as a cornerback out of high school, he became a star for Western Kentucky, catching 29 touchdown passes the last three seasons while hauling in 253 receptions for 2,968 yards. Corley isn’t a blazer — he ran a 4.59 40-yard dash at his Pro Day.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/south-carolina-wide-receiver-deebo-samuel-run-an-official-4-48-40-yard-da-422600

South Carolina wide receiver Deebo Samuel run an official 4.48 40-yard dash at 2019 combine

Ran a 4.59 and he has a bad contested catch rate and mediocre at best success rate against Man Coverage. Good in Zone but might only be true because over 50% of his targets were screens or slants. 

Early on I don't see how he can be considered a true WR option. Put him in the backfield and motion on early downs. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My whole issue with the Bowers stuff was that if you’re drafting him at 10, you’re committing 80-100 targets to him, and if you’re going to do that, wouldn’t it be better to give those targets to a more dynamic player? Corley seems to be that. 

Mine was positional value, but same. I’d rather have a weapon without a position at the top of the third round than in the top ten of the entire draft. Because of his draft slot, he’ll need to earn those targets rather than just have them handed to him. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My whole issue with the Bowers stuff was that if you’re drafting him at 10, you’re committing 80-100 targets to him, and if you’re going to do that, wouldn’t it be better to give those targets to a more dynamic player? Corley seems to be that. 

6-3 240 lbs guy who runs away from SEC players is less dynamic that 5-11  203 lbs guy who gets caught by Sun Belt players?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Ran a 4.59 and he has a bad contested catch rate and mediocre at best success rate against Man Coverage. Good in Zone but might only be true because over 50% of his targets were screens or slants. 

Early on I don't see how he can be considered a true WR option. Put him in the backfield and motion on early downs. 

This morning I’ve seen 40 times as fast as 4.43 and gps tracking as high as 23mph. The YAC King probably has a little burst to him. I expect him to essentially be used almost exactly the way I would’ve expected Bowers to be used as a rookie (your description of his use is basically Bowers’ bread & butter). 

• Upvote 3

I just watched footage from phone calls by JD, Saleh etc to inform Corley he was Jets selection. They all said the same thing to him which was kind of dumb "stay angry." I know what they mean on the field but you don't want the guy to be angry all the time and esp angry at you. 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

Mine was positional value, but same. I’d rather have a weapon without a position at the top of the third round than in the top ten of the entire draft. Because of his draft slot, he’ll need to earn those targets rather than just have them handed to him. 

Exactly.  With bowers at 10 you’ve committed all those passes to him and if you don’t, it’s a waste.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, slats said:

This morning I’ve seen 40 times as fast as 4.43 and gps tracking at 23mph. The YAC King probably has a little burst to him. I expect him to essentially be used almost exactly the way I would’ve expected Bowers to be used as a rookie (your description of his use is basically Bowers’ bread & butter). 

I don’t buy the tracking speed. He routinely would get caught on plays where some receivers are gone. What Corley is good at getting into the space where most receivers would turn on the jets and score. Essentially Corley get 5 where most get 0 and he gets 10 when others would get 20. 

26 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Im not really sold on Corley, never was, hes a WR who doesnt really run routes, we should still draft a burner, Troy Franklin, Tez Walker are on the board

25 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

From the highlights I watched, he was running over DBs but I think some of that might've been because it was crappy opposition.  I don't think NFL DBs are going to miss those tackles.  But I didn't realize the guy is 215 lbs.  I could see him being effective in certain situations.

WKU_WR_Malachi_Corley_2023_Highlights_.gif.7966e9cacebea6cbcc96cae3b2314f05.gif

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

I don’t buy the tracking speed. He routinely would get caught on plays where some receivers are gone. What Corley is good at getting into the space where most receivers would turn on the jets and score. Essentially Corley get 5 where most get 0 and he gets 10 when others would get 20. 

Pure straight line speed is often overvalued.  Catch the ball, elude someone and break a tackle.  Essentially this guy is what we thought we were getting with enunwa.  The opposite of Devin smith.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Yeah? I realize that, like Bowers, his yac numbers are skewed a bit because of his shallow average depth of target, but he still led college football in both total yac yards and yac per catch (I have that right, right?). Something tells me your conclusion might be a little off. 

But he’s a Jet now, though, so we’ll see. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Pure straight line speed is often overvalued.  Catch the ball, elude someone and break a tackle.  Essentially this guy is what we thought we were getting with enunwa.  The opposite of Devin smith.  

Enunwa was a pretty good WR though, no?  The problem was he couldn't stay healthy.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

SO…. I think I’ll put you down as “ Not A Fan” of this pick

13 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

6-3 240 lbs guy who runs away from SEC players is less dynamic that 5-11  203 lbs guy who gets caught by Sun Belt players?

16 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

17 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Conklin and Ruckert are barely an afterthought.

Really, Conklin is damn productive and had the worst of quarterbacks throwing to him, Ruckert got skills at worst he’s an amazing blocker, and can catch the ball….Bowers should be good, we just had bigger needs…

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

This I can buy from a usage standpoint. That being said Enunwa ran a 4.45 not a 4.59. He was a real freak in terms of strength and speed.

1 minute ago, slats said:

Yeah? I realize that, like Bowers, his yac numbers are skewed a bit because of his shallow average depth of target, but he still led college football in the category in both total yac yards and yac per catch (I have that right, right?). Something tells me your conclusion might be a little off. 

But he’s a Jet now, though, so we’ll see. 

Plus on that team he was really the only weapon.  And there are a few highlights where he did it vs ohio state.  I think it translates.  There’s enough other legit weapons on the jets where if there’s a short pass to Corley he’s going to be able to get enough yac to justify the pick.  Better this guy than some devin smith clone who runs a 4.4 but is only good on one pattern and is going to get pushed around. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

From the highlights I watched, he was running over DBs but I think some of that might've been because it was a crappy opposition.  I don't think NFL DBs are going to miss those tackles.  But I didn't realize the guy is 215 lbs.  I could see him being effective in certain situations.

Steve Smith talked about this with him, and that play as well to demonstrate, as CB's and Safeties having a tough time tackling him . Corley pointed out that he was always the main focus of the defense in trying to stop him and he looks forward to getting single coverage in the NFL. I think that's especially true now in our Offense.  

I think I know what Saleh was contemplating, maybe worrying about at the end of first round press conference, in having to wait until the 3rd round for Corley. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, LSJF said:

Really, Conklin is damn productive and had the worst of quarterbacks throwing to him, Ruckert got skills at worst he’s an amazing blocker, and can catch the ball….Bowers should be good, we just had bigger needs…

621 yards is respectable. Not earth shattering. Ruckert has done nothing much. Neither one of them is a game changer.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

From the highlights I watched, he was running over DBs but I think some of that might've been because it was crappy opposition.  I don't think NFL DBs are going to miss those tackles.  But I didn't realize the guy is 215 lbs.  I could see him being effective in certain situations.

Steve Smith had a field day with the ref in the middle of the field on that play, standing like a statue as Corley steam rolled #19. Arm tackles are useless against Corley!