Jets trade up to 3.1: Select WR Malachi Corley

39 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

In the NFL, against NFL defenses? I think so. How much of LaPorta’s success is owed to the threat of Amon-Ra St. Brown drawing coverage? Same with Kittle/Deebo? I don’t think a 6’3, 240 lb dude who runs mid-4.5’s can line up and beat bracket coverage by himself, but that guy can cook if he’s the second or third option on a play. I think an athlete like Corley scares a nickel corner more than any hybrid TE does. 

Smaller guy who is just as slow is more intimidating than the bigger guy?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

621 yards is respectable. Not earth shattering. Ruckert has done nothing much. Neither one of them is a game changer.

Ruckert will get a bigger role this year now that he's moved up to #2 TE. Both he and Conklin should complement our play makers of Breece, Garrett & M Williams while Corley gets sprinkled in making Rodgers short game hum!

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

SO…. I think I’ll put you down as “ Not A Fan” of this pick

I’m wasn’t a fan of Corley as a prospect, he’s a Jet now so my pivot will revolve on using him the right way and tempering expectation. Expecting him to come in a be a dynamic WR3 will lead to disappointment. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Amon-Ra: 4.61/40

Amon-Ra could run routes and win downfield. I don’t mind slow receivers, I mind slow receivers who aren’t considered slow and don’t add route running or explosion to the mix.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I like the Corley pick but it’s hard to imagine him being a huge contributor in year 1, which is when all the chips are on the table. 

Maybe your underestimating a tough YAC bubble screen first down to get an offense pumped up.

Breece and Corley offer the same results which will stress a defense if used in tandem, which I think Rodgers is very excited about.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Amon-Ra could run routes and win downfield. I don’t mind slow receivers, I mind slow receivers who aren’t considered slow and don’t add route running or explosion to the mix.

Didn’t realize you were so insightful re: all things Corley. 

24 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

621 yards is respectable. Not earth shattering. Ruckert has done nothing much. Neither one of them is a game changer.

Ruckert had Usomah in front of him, and again Conklin produced w Zach, Trevor & Boyle (holy crap)… Bowers probably b star, but the first round bust rate for TE’s is off the charts

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Yeah. I’m just saying Corley’s speed isn’t disqualifying, especially considering the role he’ll be asked to play. Conversely, I don’t think Bowers’ athleticism is so exceptional that he should be held above the TE value skepticism. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Didn’t realize you were so insightful re: all things Corley. 

Corley was an early hyped sleeper pick. So I watched him early and took interest in his game. I didn’t get the hype because he doesn’t do receiver things and finding the “next Deebo” is an obsession of draft followers.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

This I can buy from a usage standpoint. That being said Enunwa ran a 4.45 not a 4.59. He was a real freak in terms of strength and speed.

And was a 6th Rounder if I remember correctly 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah. I’m just saying Corley’s speed isn’t disqualifying, especially considering the role he’ll be asked to play. Conversely, I don’t think Bowers’ athleticism is so exceptional that he should be held above the TE value skepticism. 

If bowers and Corley tested together they would be considered similar weapons.  Neither has enough speed to be that much better than the other. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I like the Corley pick but it’s hard to imagine him being a huge contributor in year 1, which is when all the chips are on the table. 

Really?, it doesn't take too much thought in throwing screen plays which he best suited for ... the YAC King Will make it work. ;) 

9 minutes ago, Jetkwondo said:

Wonder how they'll use Corley this year?

From Jared Smola on X

Malachi Corley had 133 screen receptions over his 4 years at Western Kentucky. 133! 51.4% of his total receptions came on screens.

WoW!!! Brock has him beat.  ;) 

Just now, jetsons said:

Really?, it doesn't take too much thought in throwing screen plays which he best suited for ... the YAC King Will make it work. ;) 

I read some draft grades for the jets pick of Fashanu, giving them around a B b/c they complained the jets took a guy who was more for the future than helping rodgers (which isn’t even true).  Then i read a few draft grades for Corley,giving the a B saying he’s a gadget player who needs to be schemed for.  Yet if they took bowers i imagine everyone would have given them an A for taking a gadget guy at 10.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Alka said:

Yeah, who was a game changer for the Jets in 2023?  We had one quality wide receiver in Wilson, a garbage offensive line, and a garbage QB.  And with all of that, Conklin had his most productive season as a pro in the NFL, with 61 catches and over 600 yards.

Maybe, with a quality O line, quality QB, quality wide receiving corps, maybe, just maybe, Conklin can easily surpass what he did last year.

What do you think?  Does he deserve another shot?  The guy is only 28 years old.  

image.gif.2cc80cfa113e9ef472784f9499b20c48.gif

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but Steve Smith picked him as the steal of the draft.  Qualified it by saying he played against inferior completion but dominated.   I wanted Roman Wilson but will now be rooting for the guy we picked of course.  The only concern is Saleh’s goal infatuation with the idea of emulating the 49ers and duping himself into believing this guy will be his Deebo Samuel.  Deebo is a rare breed and Nathaniel Hackett is about as far an offensive mind from Kyle Shanahan as can be.  

• Upvote 3