What Brought About the Decision “No Matter What”?

Corley wasn’t at the Senior Bowl, NFL Combine nor was he in for a Top 30 visit. 

31 teams attended his Pro Day…. But was that & some Conference USA tape all it took for the “no matter what” texts? 

I am just trying to figure out how Jets brass determined MC the number 4 WR prospect… over Tez Walker, Burton, Roman Wilson, Troy Franklin, Malik Washington & Johnny Wilson from much larger schools in much more competitive conferences.

• WTF? 1

I didn’t have a horse in this other than potential replacement for Williams/ Lazard with high end speed and catch radius. For me, Walker was the most viable selection.

Just curious what JD was making this decision based on?

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I didn’t have a horse in this other than potential replacement for Williams/ Lazard with high end speed and catch radius. For me, Walker was the most viable selection.

Saleh told him how awesome it was having Deebo on the 49ers and JD hunted for a potential clone.  Just one of many possibilities.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

31 teams attended his Pro Day…. But was that & some Conference USA tape all it took for the “no matter what” texts? 

I am just trying to figure out how Jets brass determined MC the number 4 WR prospect… over Tez Walker, Burton, Roman Wilson, Troy Franklin, Malik Washington & Johnny Wilson from much larger schools in much more competitive conferences.

I'm pretty sure Corley was both at the Senior Bowl and in for a top 30 visit.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, derp said:

I'm pretty sure Corley was both at the Senior Bowl and in for a top 30 visit.

Out sick for Combine & didn’t see him listed as a participant in SB nor Top 30. That’s what led to the OP.

When did they really get to run him through workouts to rank him as high as they did?

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

They tried trading up into the second round. 

Yes, Woody , JD and Saleh told him as much on the phone

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Kinda funny considering the jets sat on their hands for the entire 2nd round and that doesn’t line up with ‘no matter what’

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

They have scouts watching all of these guys.  The area scout pounded the table for him as a later round reciever, Joe D watched the tape and fell in love w/ him.

Is this conjecture or you somehow know this as a fact?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Kinda funny considering the jets sat on their hands for the entire 2nd round and that doesn’t line up with ‘no matter what’

Did you not watch Draft Day?! ‘No matter what’ means sticking to who you believe should be the pick and not feed into the hype of someone else. 

48 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Corley was at the Senior Bowl.  In fact, the first thing I said to anyone about any player was Corley before I even sat down.  Saw him on the field warming up and said "JFC, Malachi Corley is twice as big as I thought he was".  

We know now of course that he's been going all out to get bigger and it's working.

• Upvote 3

If I'm being honest,  "no matter what" seems like a silly and unrealistic approach to draft strategy.

They have a board with players ranked. They don't know exactly how others teams' boards look, and they can't control who other teams select or move up for. If a player moves into a specific range and presents great value, you can try to jump up to get him, but it's far from certain that it WILL happen.

What if Corley was taken with the first pick in the 2nd? "No matter what" is honestly kind of childish and naive.

1 minute ago, DoubleDown said:

If I'm being honest,  "no matter what" seems like a silly and unrealistic approach to draft strategy.

They have a board with players ranked. They don't know exactly how others teams' boards look, and they can't control who other teams select or move up for. If a player moves into a specific range and presents great value, you can try to jump up to get him, but it's far from certain that it WILL happen.

What if Corley was taken with the first pick in the 2nd? "No matter what" is honestly kind of childish and naive.

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I imagine that we probably never would’ve heard about it, then. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Tez Walker has hands like feet.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

Glasses Nerd GIF by Team Coco

Ok, Captain Literal. JFC. WIth your line of thinking, the Jets would have taken him at 10.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Did you not watch Draft Day?! ‘No matter what’ means sticking to who you believe should be the pick and not feed into the hype of someone else. 

"No matter what" does not mean letting 50+ picks go by before trading up.  Cool story, great tweet from the Jets PR room, doesn't pass the smell test.  Sorry...

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

"No matter what" does not mean letting 50+ picks go by before trading up.  Cool story, great tweet from the Jets PR room, doesn't pass the smell test.  Sorry...

You’re missing the point of it being a joke based on fn movie reference. It means nothing lol. There’s nothing to even smell.  

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Probably because he’s the total opposite attitude/personality of a guy like Allen I like to play soccer instead of caring about football Lazard. 

I think this weighs a lot with this group. Do they come in and kiss the ring? Are they nice, self-motivated lads? After getting burned by Becton, Mims, and Moore, Saleh and Douglas put a ton of weight on how nice and deferential a prospect is.