The Rodgers Trade is Complete. Here’s a Look How Each Team Fared

16 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Jordan Love had the 14th highest selling jersey last year

Aaron Rodgers was #19.

Two things.   

1. Jordan Love was not involved in the trade.  For this exercise you can only compare jerseys of those players listed in the trade.

2. It was a hamburger joke.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

I don't think anyone considers drafting Love dumb or a mistake.

yes it was. 

GB lost in the NFCCG to TB by 5 points. instead of drafting a QB who wasnt going to play they could have had someone who could help them right away. the guys they could have had?

26th Love

28th LB Patrick Queen 

33rd WR Tee Higgins

34th WR Michael Pittman

35th RB D Andre Swift

41st RB Jonathan Taylor

i think any of these playes could have got them that win an to the SB. and maybe a Higgins or Taylor to win it all.

and the next year the won 13 games again and loss to SF in rd 1 by 3 points.

and Rodgers was real good those years. having Adams and Higgens would have been great. they lost a chance to win a SB. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

56 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Smart people do.

They pissed away 2-3 years of serious contention from a QB whose ability they'll never duplicate again in 100 years, and only narrowly got bumped out of the playoffs in doing so. i.e. they were a player away, and used their 1st round pick on a 3-year backup QB.

They thought Love would be starting within a year. If they'd known Rodgers was about to win the next two MVP awards and they came super-close to another title but fell short, they wouldn't have taken Love that year themselves: as it was, they extended Rodgers like two years after drafting Love.

This is just conjectur, what ifs and maybes.

By this same logic maybe Rodgers doesn't get that extra motivation from them taking a QB and he doesn't play as well the next 2 seasons. Or maybe Rodgers chokes anyways like he usually did his whole career.You have no idea how it plays out.

Love looked phenomenal last season and now has a year under his belt and a team that looks to be on the rise. That's what actually matters now.

Green Bay is in a great position right now because they took Love. That's what smart people actually look at. Not a maybe.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, doitny said:

yes it was. 

GB lost in the NFCCG to TB by 5 points. instead of drafting a QB who wasnt going to play they could have had someone who could help them right away. the guys they could have had?

26th Love

28th LB Patrick Queen 

33rd WR Tee Higgins

34th WR Michael Pittman

35th RB D Andre Swift

41st RB Jonathan Taylor

i think any of these playes could have got them that win an to the SB. and maybe a Higgins or Taylor to win it all.

and the next year the won 13 games again and loss to SF in rd 1 by 3 points.

and Rodgers was real good those years. having Adams and Higgens would have been great. they lost a chance to win a SB. 

Again, this is just what ifs and maybes and people imposing an outcome that they have no idea what would happen.

What happened and what is, is all that matters.

They have a young QB who looks great and looked better as the season went on, got rid of a malcontent with an ugly contract and look to be one of the more promising young teams in the league while following the same template they used with Rodgers.

I promise, nobody in GB is crying about taking Love.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

5. Their mistake was drafting Love in the first place way back in 2020 while Rodgers was still in NFL MVP form. It was so dumb no one repeated the mistake until Atlanta mindlessly did almost that this year (even that wasn't as bad, as Cousins isn't Rodgers). 

Fight me.

This is where u lost me. It was not dumb to draft love. Packers smoothly transitioned from Favre, to rodgers, to love ( who played pretty darn well last year). I no the book is far from written on love but imagine having 3 back to back to back franchise qbs with no gap in between. 

sh*t jets haven’t even had 2 franchise qbs in there entire existence. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I think the proper way to evaluate this trade is to ask, if given a time machine:
1. Would Green Bay make this trade again? Safe to say, 100% yes.
2. Would the Jets make this trade again? Probably 50/50? 
If given a time machine ... jump forward to see who wins the Superbowl this coming year, then come back and decide.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

You're crazy.

JD would trade for Rodgers again right now.  What was the alternative?

One of the Wilsons or JJ McCarthy?

The right move was always Carr.

Save draft picks, draft a QB and regroup.  The whole Rodgers experiment was another PR first move.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

26 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The right move was always Carr.

Save draft picks, draft a QB and regroup.  The whole Rodgers experiment was another PR first move.  

I can’t stand Carr, and couldn’t’ve been happier when they passed on that mush. He’s another Cousins/compiler/loser. New Orleans should’ve drafted a QB in the first round, too. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

This is just conjectur, what ifs and maybes.

By this same logic maybe Rodgers doesn't get that extra motivation from them taking a QB and he doesn't play as well the next 2 seasons. Or maybe Rodgers chokes anyways like he usually did his whole career.You have no idea how it plays out.

Love looked phenomenal last season and now has a year under his belt and a team that looks to be on the rise. That's what actually matters now.

Green Bay is in a great position right now because they took Love. That's what smart people actually look at. Not a maybe.

So… don’t use first rounders to win a title behind a unicorn all time great passer who’s still very much elite. Drafting bench players in round 1, who’ll sit for 3 years, are what brings in the titles.

Then hopefully when Love is at his best, and the team is a player away, they can draft another QB with their first round pick and barely lose the championship game again.

• Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, slats said:

I can’t stand Carr, and couldn’t’ve been happier when they passed on that mush. He’s another Cousins/compiler/loser. New Orleans should’ve drafted a QB in the first round, too. 

Carr wasn't the answer to win a championship (but no FA was) but he was the smart choice for the health of the franchise.  He would have kept the team competitive while working to find the FQB.

Rodgers gives you no shot at a championship either - but costs picks, a waste of 2-3 years to find your next QB all while making the Jets a PR star that will ultimately fall flat their faces and continue to make them the laughing stock of the league.

13 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

This is where u lost me. It was not dumb to draft love. Packers smoothly transitioned from Favre, to rodgers, to love ( who played pretty darn well last year). I no the book is far from written on love but imagine having 3 back to back to back franchise qbs with no gap in between. 

sh*t jets haven’t even had 2 franchise qbs in there entire existence. 

Drafting Love cost them a championship, and they gave Rodgers a $50MM/year extension two years later ffs. I’d take a championship over an extreme long-term investment in the team’s next young QB 100x out of 100.

A couple people here seem to think Love was the last QB worth drafting or acquiring to eventually succeed Rodgers.

Will it still be smart in hindsight when we find out Love never wins or even reaches a Super Bowl himself?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Will it still be smart in hindsight when we find out Love never wins or even reaches a Super Bowl himself?

Love will also be on his last year. Qb cost will rocket past Rodgers $75 mil contract. Love will get 4/$160m minimum 

It was a good trade imo for the Jets including if we had to give up a 1st round pick (instead of a 2nd rounder) to get a QB of the caliber of Rodgers esp when the team was losing games because of poor quality at that position. It was an anomaly the guy would be out for the year on the 4th play of the season. We don't know what would have happened but you can be sure if Rodgers was QB last season more Ws and a reasonable at least offense. Any trade is somewhat of a gamble and to get someone with Rodgers credentials even off not his best season was worth it to me. And I'm not an AR fan. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Drafting Love cost them a championship, and they gave Rodgers a $50MM/year extension two years later ffs. I’d take a championship over the team’s next young QB 100x out of 100.

A couple people here seem to think Love was the last QB worth drafting or acquiring to eventually succeed Rodgers.

I agree drafting Love at the time was ridiculous . Now Im sure they are happy currently but first lets see if Love can continue the good QB play with a season of Film on him. He only started playing really good in the second half of last season, as did the entire team, but thats usually the time frame for a team to start playing well, about mid season.  Im pretty sure no one in Green Bay is currently saying , "boy we should have never drafted Love"  

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Carr wasn't the answer to win a championship (but no FA was) but he was the smart choice for the health of the franchise.  He would have kept the team competitive while working to find the FQB.

Rodgers gives you no shot at a championship either - but costs picks, a waste of 2-3 years to find your next QB all while making the Jets a PR star that will ultimately fall flat their faces and continue to make them the laughing stock of the league.

Rodgers gives you no shot at a championship ? You for real ?

• Sympathy 2

34 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It was a good trade imo for the Jets including if we had to give up a 1st round pick (instead of a 2nd rounder) to get a QB of the caliber of Rodgers esp when the team was losing games because of poor quality at that position.

While I definitely would’ve preferred a 2023 season with a lot more than four snaps from Rodgers, they absolutely did better to keep the fourth rounder. Looking at the draft, if they gave up the first and had the 13th pick in the second round instead, I don’t know who they would’ve taken. Maybe Sinnott for all the TE fans out there? I think there’s a good chance they would’ve taken Corley. Pretty sure they were starting to try to trade up to get him right around where their pick would’ve been. Instead they got Corley and a future LT. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, Smashmouth said:

This board can be ridiculous.   Did you know that Jets draft picks are going to contribute nothing this year?  I learned it right here on this educational site.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Love will also be on his last year. Qb cost will rocket past Rodgers $75 mil contract. Love will get 4/$160m minimum 

They were so sold on Love that they only gave him a 1 year extension beyond the 5th year option. i.e. even they weren't sold on him -- neither was he sold on himself, seeing as how he accepted it. Want to grab a QB one year in advance? OK sure, that's a good idea so he doesn't have to start ready-or-not as a rookie. Two years in advance? OK but not in round 1 unless your team has absolutely no starter holes. Three years in advance? You should be looking at day 3 and crossing your fingers.  

Again, it's extremely unlikely they'd have drafted the boom-or-bust prospect in Jordan Love if they realized Rodgers was still going to be an MVP + championship caliber QB for still-more years (as shown by the same GM extending Rodgers at $50MM/year before Love's 3rd season). What they should have done that year is gotten Rodgers another WR. 

The Packers have put on a clinic in taking the wrong players at the wrong times, and - unless he ultimately gets them a few Super Bowl rings - Love is an example of it. That win-now Packers team would have been better off pushing their chips in with their 2nd rounder to move up from #26 and draft an elite WR prospect like Lamb or Jefferson (in retrospect they theoretically could've moved up enough to take Jefferson by only trading away their 3rd, but that's only if the Eagles were willing to move down, not to mention it requires the most surgical hindsight).

What did they get from their first two days of the 2020 draft?

• Round 1: an ultra-raw boom-or-bust QB prospect who sat on the bench for the next 3 seasons
  • Round 2: an unnecessary 2nd-rate RB to cup Aaron Jones's balls on the sideline
  • Round 3: a bust/backup TE.

They took 3 offensive players who did nothing for them for the next 3 years of MVP-prime Aaron Rodgers, only to see themselves get bounced out of the playoffs after scoring just 10 points that year.

Just a week ago, Jets fans here were justifiably screaming for either a WR or TE at #10, when they already had two serious starting WRs, a starting TE, and - at least on paper - a WR3 who was productive until he gave up on the Rodgers-backups with the Jets, in a deep WR class.

Now consider that entering the 2020 draft the Packers - coming off a 13-win season and losing the AFCCG - didn't even have a second WR nor a starting TE; they had Adams and...a roster of backup WRs/TEs they crossed their fingers on promoting without earning it.

Rodgers may not have even had the dropoff he did in '22 - plus maybe not the broken thumb either (butterfly effect) - if they had someone like future HOFers Jefferson/Lamb in place to eventually take over for Adams, in addition to getting an elite WR1 opposite him for the two years before that (not to mention after letting Linsley go in FA, foolishly drafting Josh Myers over Creed Humphrey when they were targeting a center in round 2 the following year).

That awful judgment call itself came the year before badly reaching for Eric Stokes in round 1 after falling in love with a 40-time over a far more polished prospect like Samuel (if they had their hearts dead-set on drafting a corner); or Landon Dickerson was sitting right there to fill their hole at either center or guard instead of pushing worthless 4th round Royce Newman into the starting RG role as a rookie after Turner (a turnstile at RG in the first place) moved to LT for Bakhtiari. Then in round 3 they drafted Amari Rodgers; the next WR off the board, 3 picks later, was Nico Collins.

And both years, they still won 13 games - but still exited the playoffs short of the Super Bowl - with all those day 1 and day 2 picks contributing nothing.

So don't tell me about the forward thinking wisdom of the Packers' front office as though they are or were a collection of talent-identifying savants. They pissed away 2-3 very serious shots at another Super Bowl to instead do very distant future planning in a way that's done by sucky teams that have no shot in the upcoming season anyway.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

27 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I agree drafting Love at the time was ridiculous . Now Im sure they are happy currently but first lets see if Love can continue the good QB play with a season of Film on him. He only started playing really good in the second half of last season, as did the entire team, but thats usually the time frame for a team to start playing well, about mid season.  Im pretty sure no one in Green Bay is currently saying , "boy we should have never drafted Love"  

They're only happy if they've accepted that nothing would have changed if they'd used their picks (Love among them) wisely for the upcoming multiple MVP Rodgers seasons. 

If they'd won another ring - or two - then tell me they'd still have taken a 3-year backup QB with their 1st round pick instead of using it on a prospect that could/would have pushed them over the top when they were like a player away.

The "currently happy" is based on the idea that they didn't - and wouldn't/couldn't - have had their past fate of postseason exits changed for the better. 

27 minutes ago, slats said:

While I definitely would’ve preferred a 2023 season with a lot more than four snaps from Rodgers, they absolutely did better to keep the fourth rounder. Looking at the draft, if they gave up the first and had the 13th pick in the second round instead, I don’t know who they would’ve taken. Maybe Sinnott for all the TE fans out there? I think there’s a good chance they would’ve taken Corley. Pretty sure they were starting to try to trade up to get him right around where their pick would’ve been. Instead they got Corley and a future LT. 

Good point. If one believes Douglas, the reason they were trying to move up into as high as the middle of the 2nd round was to draft Corley anyway.

It doesn't seem at all unbelievable. Two years prior he was trying to move way up to grab JJII, which would have cost the pick ultimately used on Breece Hall, not realizing the player would drop to him anyway.

Two years before that he tried - that time successfully - to move up for his ultra-coveted pick in AVT, surrendering a pair of day 2 picks in the process. I do remember you liked AVT (as did anybody) but hated the trade-up as they were in no position to give up two day-2 picks with all the present and soon-upcoming holes on that roster. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think the proper way to evaluate this trade is to ask, if given a time machine:

1. Would Green Bay make this trade again? Safe to say, 100% yes.

2. Would the Jets make this trade again? Probably 50/50? 

Similar to, would I go to Taco Bell for breakfast again?

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Again, this is just what ifs and maybes and people imposing an outcome that they have no idea what would happen.

What happened and what is, is all that matters.

They have a young QB who looks great and looked better as the season went on, got rid of a malcontent with an ugly contract and look to be one of the more promising young teams in the league while following the same template they used with Rodgers.

I promise, nobody in GB is crying about taking Love.

From a Packers fan this nails it.  The only thing you left out is all the "has been" friends of his we had to have on our team that lacked any kind of juice.   This team is young and talented and has competition at every position.  NOBODY up here questions the Jordan Love pick after last season.   We are thinking super bowls and MVP's RN.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ptisme said:

From a Packers fan this nails it.  The only thing you left out is all the "has been" friends of his we had to have on our team that lacked any kind of juice.   This team is young and talented and has competition at every position.  NOBODY up here questions the Jordan Love pick after last season.   We are thinking super bowls and MVP's RN.

Were people pissed that Rodgers renewgotiated his contract, saving the Jets tens of millions of $ ?

What do you expect Love's new contract to be... I would think similar to Daniel Jones or maybe more.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Drafting Love cost them a championship, and they gave Rodgers a $50MM/year extension two years later ffs. I’d take a championship over the team’s next young QB 100x out of 100.

A lot went into all those years falling short.   A blocked punt, poor defense at the wrong time etc.   How much better would Jonathon Taylor have been over Aaron Jones?  The main common denominator was Rodgers poor play in those losses.   

2021 TB playoff loss: Rodgers zero TD's and a QBR of 22.6 vs TB.

2020 TB playoff loss: Rodgers plays well but can only muster 3 points in the 4th quarter and can't punch it in with 1st and goal at the 8.  Brady doesn't play well until the end of the game....

2019: SFO rodgers throws two picks and has a 23 QBR.  Was blanked in the first half and never really could get us back in the game.

13 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Were people pissed that Rodgers renewgotiated his contract, saving the Jets tens of millions of $ ?

What do you expect Love's new contract to be... I would think similar to Daniel Jones or maybe more.

1. The majority of fans were pissed because he always wanted to be the highest paid player in the game (deservedly so) but that precluded us to ever participate in FA.  That was the part I was bitter about.   But I wasn't upset he took a Jets discount: I knew he had more money than he'll ever spend and he wants to prove his doubters wrong and win another championship.   Multiple Lombardi trophies is really his only career blemish.

2. I'd guess it will be top five pay but that will be peanuts in 2 years.   I'm hoping he does a Mahomes team friendly deal but that's probably a pipe dream.

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

1. The majority of fans were pissed because he always wanted to be the highest paid player in the game (deservedly so) but that precluded us to ever participate in FA.  That was the part I was bitter about.   But I wasn't upset he took a Jets discount: I knew he had more money than he'll ever spend and he wants to prove his doubters wrong and win another championship.   Multiple Lombardi trophies is really his only career blemish.

2. I'd guess it will be top five pay but that will be peanuts in 2 years.   I'm hoping he does a Mahomes team friendly deal but that's probably a pipe dream.

1. I have a feeling that "Blue-Collar Lunchpale Player" Mark Murphy was never a big Rodgers fan. Murphy's resume from UDFA Safety to 4-year co-captain & SB winner, All-Pro & Pro Bowl honors in '83 is impressive. Went on to get law degree.

Never drafted a 1st Rd. Wide Receiver for Rodgers. 2nd rd. Watson (2021) & 2nd rd. Adams (2014) He came from the Redskins defensive tree and that's how he won with those Joe Gibbs teams... Defense and running game.

2. A lot will depend on this years' performance. 

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

A lot went into all those years falling short.   A blocked punt, poor defense at the wrong time etc.   How much better would Jonathon Taylor have been over Aaron Jones?  The main common denominator was Rodgers poor play in those losses.   

2021 TB playoff loss: Rodgers zero TD's and a QBR of 22.6 vs TB.

2020 TB playoff loss: Rodgers plays well but can only muster 3 points in the 4th quarter and can't punch it in with 1st and goal at the 8.  Brady doesn't play well until the end of the game....

2019: SFO rodgers throws two picks and has a 23 QBR.  Was blanked in the first half and never really could get us back in the game.

You're making the massive presumption that the cake tastes the same when you change key ingredients.

Truly the game is only 1 QB against 1 QB. In the Tampa playoff losses, I didn't see where you replaced 4/5 of his OL with backups, removed all his starter-caliber WRs/TEs except Evans, and presume the game's outcome is the same in the end.

Swap out Chris Godwin and replace with Marquez Valdes-Scantling. Swap out Gronk and replace him with ancient Marcedes Lewis. Swap out Donavan Smith and replace him with Billy Turner. Swap out Tristan Wirfs & replace with Ricky Wagner.

Next tell me all about how Mahomes totally choked in the Super Bowl the following week and how it had absolutely nothing to do with KC fielding an OL of mostly backup talent (and just losing their probowl LT) and resulting constant pressure, as though we didn't watch the game. It's all about his stats, and his stats were garbage. Mmm-kay.

Change the team and it also changes the butterfly-effect odds of Bakhtiari - basically the game's premiere LT at the time. Changing what's practicing and with whom and still sustaining the same unlikely, non-contact injury on the same place at the same time in the same Dec 31st practice is statistically zero, and that injury has plagued him (and, in turn, the team) since then. 

Swap out Jordan Love + AJ Dillon and replace them with CeeDee Lamb or Justin Jefferson. Then make the argument Bakhtiari is still in the same place at the same time when he got injured.

Swap out Jordan Love + AJ Dillon and replace them with CeeDee Lamb or Justin Jefferson. Then make the argument that the Packers' offense is absolutely no better if you swap in a top-3 WR instead of a backup QB and a backup RB.

It's amazing that people think the failure to add one the game's singularly elite players, there for the taking and at an area of extreme weakness at the time, in favor of adding two backup players, had no effect on anything, and continue arguments based on that very house of cards.

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

None.  

Well at least no more than you would with Carr.

Of course anything can happen but I suspect Rodgers will be in the 12-17 range.

Very tough to win a Super Bowl with middle of the pack QB play.  

• Thumb Down 1
  • More Ugh 1

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Good point. If one believes Douglas, the reason they were trying to move up into as high as the middle of the 2nd round was to draft Corley anyway.

It doesn't seem at all unbelievable. Two years prior he was trying to move way up to grab JJII, which would have cost the pick ultimately used on Breece Hall, not realizing the player would drop to him anyway.

Two years before that he tried - that time successfully - to move up for his ultra-coveted pick in AVT, surrendering a pair of day 2 picks in the process. I do remember you liked AVT (as did anybody) but hated the trade-up as they were in no position to give up two day-2 picks with all the present and soon-upcoming holes on that roster. 

The draft is a crap shoot in so many ways, not just talent, sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don't 

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They're only happy if they've accepted that nothing would have changed if they'd used their picks (Love among them) wisely for the upcoming multiple MVP Rodgers seasons. 

If they'd won another ring - or two - then tell me they'd still have taken a 3-year backup QB with their 1st round pick instead of using it on a prospect that could/would have pushed them over the top when they were like a player away.

The "currently happy" is based on the idea that they didn't - and wouldn't/couldn't - have had their past fate of postseason exits changed for the better. 

I think in the grand scheme of things having a QB that should give you 15 solid years is better than what might have been. Like I said, at the time it was stupid . If it were you going back in time, would you, knowing what you know now, that Love is a very good QB not pick him thinking you might win a SB . GB has a very good base now and could very well win a SB in the next 5 years but thats gonna be hard because The Jets and Aaron Rodgers are probablty winning them all.