Who is to blame - Life as a Jets fan.

Oh. I thought this thread was going to be about who is to blame for making us a Jets fan

My old man being 10 in Queens in 1969 really did me no favors with fandoms. Still though, I love these damn teams even if it's torture

• Upvote 1

my father (rip to greatest guy ever) wanted giant tickets but at the time could not get them so he started out fresh the day the jets franchise was created-naturally I became a jet fan as I was going before I could  walk-attended over 300 games home and away-some great memories

the one thing that always haunted my father -when the jets went to superbowl 3 he could not afford to go as things were tight back then but he said he would just go to the next one-sadly that never happened for him-he always joked he would have sold his blood or done anything needed to get the money to go had he known  what the future was going to be

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, thebuzzardman said:

I blame my parents for conceiving me in the vicinity of Shea stadium 

Same. I lived a few miles from Shea when I was a kid. My friends and I used to cut school and ride our bicycles  to the stadium and suffer through Mets day games in the late 70's - early 80's, so between those bums and the Jets, I got saddled with that Queens double whammy! 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I was born & raised in Long Island (Islip & lived there until I was 19).

My father was never a sports fan, of any kind.

My best friend's father (who lived just down the street from us) had the Jets games on every single Sunday and I started watching the games there with them, when I was about 9 or 10.

That was the culmination of what's mostly been 45 years of misery, with a few good years sprinkled within.

• Upvote 2

I was 3, lived in Queens (Rockaway Beach) and my favorite color was green. Stuck with them when we moved to Florida, even though my father (HIS team was the New York BASEBALL Giants - He wasnt a big FB fan as a kid) adopted the ******* Dolphins. My stubbornness and the early 80s Jets cemented me as a die hard. I am also a contrarian and hate conformity. 

I had no chance. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

IMO Sports Team fandom is as much about rooting on your team(s) during their hard times as it is about enjoying and basking in their glory during the good/great/championship times.

Easier said than done for some teams.  Our Jets have been pretty horrid for well over a decade now.  My Nats have been mostly atrocious since winning a ring in 2019.  Been a tougher than hoped for 2020's for me as a Sports Fan so far.

But still, I'm excited and optimistic about the 2024 Jets.  No shortage of risks or possible failure points, but they haven't happened yet.  Enough to be aware they exist.  

And my Nats (who I am a ticket holder of sorts for) are finally showing a little life this year, only a game back of the wildcard at this point (not saying much, but it's way better than they've been).

Maybe good times are almost here, hope springs eternal and all that.

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

IMO Sports Team fandom is as much about rooting on your team(s) during their hard times as it is about enjoying and basking in their glory during the good/great/championship times.

Easier said than done for some teams.  Our Jets have been pretty horrid for well over a decade now.  My Nats have been mostly atrocious since winning a ring in 2019.  Been a tougher than hoped for 2020's for me as a Sports Fan so far.

But still, I'm excited and optimistic about the 2024 Jets.  No shortage of risks or possible failure points, but they haven't happened yet.  Enough to be aware they exist.  

And my Nats (who I am a ticket holder of sorts for) are finally showing a little life this year, only a game back of the wildcard at this point (not saying much, but it's way better than they've been).

Maybe good times are almost here, hope springs eternal and all that.

I gotta say that the Nats have been money in the bank this season in the world of MLB sports betting.  I see they changed today's pitcher from Gore to Corbin.  No thanks.  Cashed out at 100%  the bet for today's game that I placed on the Nats last night with Gore.  Now I see the odds rising.  Maybe I place one anyway before 1st pitch if the odds go up enough to deal with Corbin.  

3 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Joe Namath , for selling his soul to the devil to win Super Bowl 3 .

I watched SBIII w/ my dad who I believe had money on the Colts.  I decided I would root for the underdog instead.

Thanks 7 year old Peebag, you stupid sack of sh*t.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

.My Nats have been mostly atrocious since winning a ring in 2019.  Been a tougher than hoped for 2020's for me as a Sports Fan so far..  

And my Nats (who I am a ticket holder of sorts for) are finally showing a little life this year, only a game back of the wildcard at this point (not saying much, but it's way better than they've been)

1. I had no idea you were an Expos fan and

2. Do you miss Soto? I love watching him play for my Yankees 👍

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

Grew up in Queens.  Was 10 when the Jets defeated the "unbeatable" Baltimore Colts, then the NY Mets destroyed the Mighty Orioles 4-1 in the 69 World Series.  Let's not forget Reed, Frazier, Bradley, DeBusschere & co as well.   Good times.

So we are just about the same age and same teams

question is best Mets center fielder Agee or Beltran?

9 minutes ago, Trotter said:

So we are just about the same age and same teams

question is best Mets center fielder Agee or Beltran?

Agee for me.  Different eras and diff't types of players. 

• Upvote 2

Got hooked on the Jets at around age 11 when my dad just about had a stroke when the TV network cut off that Jets-Raiders game for the "Heidi" TV movie. Little did I realize at the time I would be imitating his reaction many, many times over the subsequent years. Rooting for the Knicks/Mets/Rangers hasn't brought me much satisfaction, either, to date. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

1. I had no idea you were an Expos fan and

2. Do you miss Soto? I love watching him play for my Yankees 👍

I grew up with the Expos. They did their Spring Training in West Palm (With the Braves). Expos were a class organization, the Braves were... not. My Mom managed the Concessions at the old West Palm Municipal Stadium in the late 70's into the 80's, my first job was selling Peanuts in the stands and then later hustling ice up the ramps to the Beer Booths. Awesome times. I was friends with Tim Raines' son ("Little Rock"), I talked to Gary Carter, Andres Galarraga and the other guys more often than I can count, always awesome dudes. The "big" players for the Braves before Dale Murphy were Hubbard and Horner. They HATED each other, and apparently everyone else. Did NOT like the Braves organization in the least. 

Highlights from back then: watching a Yankees game with some old guy in the 3rd Base Box Seats... we didn't know who he was but when the ushers went to tell us to move, he said, "No, they're my guests". It was Lefty Gomez. Got baseballs from the Yankees in the dugout and signed them for me, my brother and my cousin. Running the bases before and after games, and yep, met George Steinbrenner and a certain former President when I was about 12 there. Both were very friendly and polite and signed a Baseball for me... it was a different world. The City sold the land for pennies on the dollar and it's a ******* Home Depot now.... 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

Grew up in Queens.  Was 10 when the Jets defeated the "unbeatable" Baltimore Colts, then the NY Mets destroyed the Mighty Orioles 4-1 in the 69 World Series.  Let's not forget Reed, Frazier, Bradley, DeBusschere & co as well.   Good times.

Ah! Same year as my old man then. I envy you guys, not 1 of my teams has won it all during my lifetime. I'd feel a lot better about them all if 1 would... although the rangers have at least done themselves proud a few times. 

I miss Shea Stadium. Citi is nice but doesn't really feel like home. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Ah! Same year as my old man then. I envy you guys, not 1 of my teams has won it all during my lifetime. I'd feel a lot better about them all if 1 would... although the rangers have at least done themselves proud a few times. 

I miss Shea Stadium. Citi is nice but doesn't really feel like home. 

I love Citifield.  My memories of Shea involve a lot of warm beer smells or worse.  But it was home. Used to walk around to the right & left field concourses on the field level beyond the foul pole, just to watch the inebriated fans scream at the bullpens and outfielders.  

For spring day games, we would cut school (FHHS) and take the Subway over to Roosevelt and grab the 7.  Or walk it through Flushing Meadow.  But the subway was more fun.  Always bought the $1.85 general admission tickets (later $2.35), then enter and proceed to loge level (instead of upper corner gen adm).  We'd go straight to ushers between Home and either of 1st or 3rd and hand the $1.85 ticket stub wrapped with 2 or 3 dollar bills and he would wipe-down our shiny new seats down and move us around if necessary.   We'd get lots of foul balls too.   Mid week afternoon day games.  

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

My memories of Shea involve a lot of warm beer smells or worse.  But it was home.

Indeed, it's my earliest memory of loving baseball was going to games with my Dad (RIP) to Shea when I was a little kid and we lived on L.I.

It's funny, I've been a fan of two Baseball Teams in my life, the Mets in my youth, and the Nats from 2005 on when they came back.

Both have given me World Series titles in my lifetime, 1986 and 2019. 

I even got to attend one game of every round of playoffs and WS for that Nats run.

The Jets.......still holding out hope this year will be our year! :) 

• Upvote 3

a word of wisdom from an old man Jets fan, don't derive your self worth from your sports teams.  Even if the Jets won 3 SB's in next 5 years, your unlikely do get more money out of it, have more sex from it, grow your unit from it, or really much else. YOu would get a few extra hours of entertianment out of it, but thats it. Yankee fans who act like they climbed mount everest to be bestowed Yankee fandom are comical creatures. Its sports, its entertainment, not much else

On 6/12/2024 at 6:33 PM, Jdeet said:

Many of us are season ticket holders for decades. I don’t claim to be a better fan than any of you. 

What I do have is a steadfast refusal in being a whiner. My brother was the same way and so was my dad. We would go to games and see the SOJ fans throw hot dogs, beer, and God knows what, at anyone who annoyed them, including the players. 

We had an agreement that after every game, we would each state what the best thing was, we saw today, win or lose, on the drive home. Only a terrible Thursday evening against Jacksonville, did we decide to forego our tradition. There have been other games where very little to nothing was positive, but we found something. Whether it was the my son or nephew getting an autograph, or seeing a hot woman sitting near us (sometimes that’s better than a win 😂, especially at the end of the season.)

My dad and brother are gone now and I am left to uphold the tradition. Instead of blaming the  stupidness of the management, or ineptness of the offense, I need to carry on the tradition. And it’s not easy, as we all know. 

What I can tell you is, I cannot remember an offseason, where the hype has actually been low key, with as much talent as we have (no Hard Knocks, mainly 1 year free agent deals, Aaron Rodgers already here, draft went good but not terribly over-hyped). We may not have won the offseason, but maybe that’s a good thing. We all know where that leads us. 

But we still need someone to blame, when/if it falls apart. This year we have several options 

Inept Coaching - Saleh/Hackett being the same

Inept Offense - Enough said  

Defense disappoints - don’t see this happening

Injury - every team has injuries. We seem to have alternate plans, this year, that are much better than years past 

But, whatever happens, Jets fans will be Jets fans  until the team wins. They need to give us a reason to be excited during the season. Making the playoffs and actually being exciting to watch. I think this upcoming season, is that year. I won’t call it special yet. That’s yet to be seen, until it actually happens..

But I can promise you this. I will be driving home from games, with a lot to say. To the sky and a new generation of Jets fans. My son  being one of them. And hopefully it’s as special for him, as it’s been for me. 

I dont call being a Jets fan, a curse. I just think it will make it that much more special when we actually win it all. Hopefully in my lifetime. 

As a Jets fan for 56 years now (I am 65 years old), I have come to believe that the results are not as important as the journey.  We Jets fans are on a journey together, and the journey of life is what's important, not as much as the result of that journey.  

If you were able to enjoy 3 superbowls, year after year from age 15-17, and then the Jets disappeared from your life for the next 50 years, would that be better than being a Jets fan for the last 53 years, never winning any superbowls, but being a part of the journey with your team? 

For me, the journey of being a Jets fan for the last 56 years is more important to me, then the thrill I had of the Jets winning the superbowl in 1969.  That was a lifetime ago, and as much joy as it was for me, the journey of the last 55 years exceeds that pleasure.

On 6/12/2024 at 6:33 PM, Jdeet said:

Many of us are season ticket holders for decades. I don’t claim to be a better fan than any of you. 

What I do have is a steadfast refusal in being a whiner. My brother was the same way and so was my dad. We would go to games and see the SOJ fans throw hot dogs, beer, and God knows what, at anyone who annoyed them, including the players. 

We had an agreement that after every game, we would each state what the best thing was, we saw today, win or lose, on the drive home. Only a terrible Thursday evening against Jacksonville, did we decide to forego our tradition. There have been other games where very little to nothing was positive, but we found something. Whether it was the my son or nephew getting an autograph, or seeing a hot woman sitting near us (sometimes that’s better than a win 😂, especially at the end of the season.)

My dad and brother are gone now and I am left to uphold the tradition. Instead of blaming the  stupidness of the management, or ineptness of the offense, I need to carry on the tradition. And it’s not easy, as we all know. 

What I can tell you is, I cannot remember an offseason, where the hype has actually been low key, with as much talent as we have (no Hard Knocks, mainly 1 year free agent deals, Aaron Rodgers already here, draft went good but not terribly over-hyped). We may not have won the offseason, but maybe that’s a good thing. We all know where that leads us. 

But we still need someone to blame, when/if it falls apart. This year we have several options 

Inept Coaching - Saleh/Hackett being the same

Inept Offense - Enough said  

Defense disappoints - don’t see this happening

Injury - every team has injuries. We seem to have alternate plans, this year, that are much better than years past 

But, whatever happens, Jets fans will be Jets fans  until the team wins. They need to give us a reason to be excited during the season. Making the playoffs and actually being exciting to watch. I think this upcoming season, is that year. I won’t call it special yet. That’s yet to be seen, until it actually happens..

But I can promise you this. I will be driving home from games, with a lot to say. To the sky and a new generation of Jets fans. My son  being one of them. And hopefully it’s as special for him, as it’s been for me. 

I dont call being a Jets fan, a curse. I just think it will make it that much more special when we actually win it all. Hopefully in my lifetime. 

The only way the Jets defense can disappoint is injury to one player . Dt Q Williams . He goes down the whole Jet defense crumbles .    Team  will pound the Jets defense all day with the running game.  A lot of teams are like that you lose a key star  player it can change a teams fortune over night. 

Jet can survive without Sauce,  or losing one of there passrushers.  Lose Q Williams and don’t think they can recover.