Reddick Has no Contract Leverage

Forgive me if this topic has been introduced or discussed already, but I had been thinking about this.

Forget what Connor Hughes said. All we know for sure is that the Jets traded for Reddick, and now he hasn't shown for mandatory minicamp. 

From what I gather, Reddick is owed around 15mil this year, but none (or virtually none) of that is guaranteed. He will lose out on a large sum of money even to the richest pro athletes by holding out for the season, and most likely it would severely hurt his earning ability on the market next year too. 

If he is seeking $25m+ per year as reported, it feels extremely unlikely any team would pay that after a year off, nevermind for a long term deal. I feel like Reddick will report in July because missing team activities just hurts his earning potential. 

As I've stated in the past, I think the Jets may be wise to guarantee his salary against injury this year (or partially do so and give him a small raise). Incentivize him to come in. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I actually thought he was older than 29.  I agree he will report, I don't see him getting a new contract here. The Jets paid Q, they are going to have to pay Garrett and Sauce. They have JJ and McDonald (who hopefully doesn't suck). Reddick is a one year rental and if he sits out he costs himself a ton of $$$.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

I actually thought he was older than 29.  I agree he will report, I don't see him getting a new contract here. The Jets paid Q, they are going to have to pay Garrett and Sauce. They have JJ and McDonald (who hopefully doesn't suck). Reddick is a one year rental and if he sits out he costs himself a ton of $$$.

I think a lot will depend on how the season plays out.  What if Reddick gets 15 sacks, and JJ gets 8 sacks, and McDonald gets 5 sacks this year?  Reddick goes to the probowl and helps the Jets go deep in the playoffs?

Reddick will only be 30 years old after the season, and should be good for at least the next 2 years after this one.  If things play out this way, why not give Reddick a 2 year $40M contract, with $25M guaranteed?  

34 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The last time Joe Douglas had all the leverage he got utterly take to the cleaners and fleeced by the Green Bay Packers

He had the leverage in that situation? 

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Uh yeah.  Duh

The packers were 100% desperate to get rid of Rodgers and were committed to that contract and a player that was 100% drama and all about him.  (See the jets the past to years.)

The packers had no other serious suitors for rodgers, none.

The Douglas  and rodgers in total bonehead fashion broke every single rule in the negotiation hand book for dummies.

Declare he is going to be a jet, tell every one he is going to be a jet, (including a liquored up douglas spouting this to the media) do not follow through with any serious plan B all before any deal is done.

The mantra on this forum all along was 'Douglas and jets have all the leverage we will offer than a 4th rounder and they will be lucky to get it!!"

In the end they have to move down in the 1st round, give up two 2nd round picks.

Just terrible GM work on the whole Rodgers thing.  Just awful.

None of Rodgers’ money was going to hit the cap until opening day. The Jets obviously wanted him before that, preferably before OTAs. The Packers, to their credit, held firm. A position they could hold well into training camp. It wound up being two second rounders. We’ll see how the compensation feels after the season. 

• Upvote 4

Other than the media field day, what is the worst that happens for the Jets if he holds out?

We lose a third round pick in 2026

We give a lot more playing time to last year's first round pick

... anything else?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I think Reddick will get signed to some kind of compromise 2-yr deal just before Training Camp.

No way he goes to OTAs with non-guaranteed contact. Much ado about very little.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Jethead said:

I think Reddick will get signed to some kind of compromise 2-yr deal just before Training Camp.

No way he goes to OTAs with non-guaranteed contact. Much ado about very little.

I think that likely the common denominator. Little more money a lot more security, I think it’s  more likely to be one year deal. 

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

probably just get some of the current deal guaranteed and call it a day

Seems like the shortest line to a solution, maybe it’s an escalator if he hits 12 sacks or more? As well as the guarantee obviously, that’s likely the thing. 

On 6/14/2024 at 11:06 AM, Beerfish said:

Uh yeah.  Duh

The packers were 100% desperate to get rid of Rodgers and were committed to that contract and a player that was 100% drama and all about him.  (See the jets the past two years.)

The packers had no other serious suitors for rodgers, none.

The Douglas  and rodgers in total bonehead fashion broke every single rule in the negotiation hand book for dummies.

Declare he is going to be a jet, tell every one he is going to be a jet, (including a liquored up douglas spouting this to the media) do not follow through with any serious plan B all before any deal is done.

The mantra on this forum all along was 'Douglas and jets have all the leverage we will offer than a 4th rounder and they will be lucky to get it!!"

In the end they have to move down in the 1st round, give up two 2nd round picks.

Just terrible GM work on the whole Rodgers thing.  Just awful.

I have been saying it is among the worst trades in NFL history easily. Especially since we literally did the same trade for Favre but he only had 1 year left of his contract. The Jets DID have all the leverage but as you said they bungled it unbelievably.  And the Reddick trade is really bad too. but not in same world as Rodgers trade in terms of putridness.

• Upvote 4

If I had no guaranteed money. i wouldnt drive by the facility until absolutely necessary  .. = training camp. you already committed this year to him throw him a guarantee.. if that doesnt work  oh well

7 hours ago, JohnnyLV said:

I have been saying it is among the worst trades in NFL history easily. Especially since we literally did the same trade for Favre but he only had 1 year left of his contract. The Jets DID have all the leverage but as you said they bungled it unbelievably.  And the Reddick trade is really bad too. but not in same world as Rodgers trade in terms of putridness.

The other issue is the packers knew the jets trading for Rodgers was the only way they were moving on from Zach Wilson(sorta).  The idiot owner still believed in Zach and GB knew JD and Saleh’s only escape was to trade for a big name HOFer

i dont know why so many of you think GB had no leverage. they could have kept Rodgers and gave Love a one year extension. its not ideal but they could have done it.

the Jets lost all leverage by not signing a QB on day 1 of FA. if we got a Minschew or a Taylor we could have got a better deal. we could have walked away and be just fine with either of those 2 guys. but in no way could we have Zach be the starter again.

and lets be frank, i get going to see Rodgers to see how interested he really was in coming here. but when you send a GM, HC and Owner to see a player of Rodgers caliber you better come back with him. and they let the entire world know they were going to see him.

you cant show a dog a nice juicy steak and then take it back and give him a milk bone. he would go nuts. you cant show the fans that we could have had Rodgers and not get him. there would have been a revolt.

On 6/14/2024 at 11:22 AM, Beerfish said:

The last time Joe Douglas had all the leverage he got utterly taken to the cleaners and fleeced by the Green Bay Packers

Thats really unfair. there is a lot of value in getting your QB into the offseason program as soon as possible. I don't think he had nearly the leverage you are implying he did. they were never going to wait till august to get him here.

7 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Thats really unfair. there is a lot of value in getting your QB into the offseason program as soon as possible. I don't think he had nearly the leverage you are implying he did. they were never going to wait till august to get him here.

Because he was the one and only choice in their minds with no back up plan at all.

Is it a good tactic in a negotiation to tell the world you are making the deal before you actually make the deal?  The other side gives a grinch grin and just ups the price or holds firm even if they do not have a strong negotiation position.

The packers were 100% desperate to get rid of rodgers with no other suitors to drive up the price.  The jets just handed them the best possible return .

Also we can see how important the off season program is since he guy wre trade for is skipping the mandatory camp.

On 6/13/2024 at 10:20 PM, Mr. Rogers said:

Forgive me if this topic has been introduced or discussed already, but I had been thinking about this.

Forget what Connor Hughes said. All we know for sure is that the Jets traded for Reddick, and now he hasn't shown for mandatory minicamp. 

From what I gather, Reddick is owed around 15mil this year, but none (or virtually none) of that is guaranteed. He will lose out on a large sum of money even to the richest pro athletes by holding out for the season, and most likely it would severely hurt his earning ability on the market next year too. 

If he is seeking $25m+ per year as reported, it feels extremely unlikely any team would pay that after a year off, nevermind for a long term deal. I feel like Reddick will report in July because missing team activities just hurts his earning potential. 

As I've stated in the past, I think the Jets may be wise to guarantee his salary against injury this year (or partially do so and give him a small raise). Incentivize him to come in. 

I agree with all of this.

I don’t think he has any real leverage but it makes sense for the Jets to play nice to incentivize him to come in and do so with a good attitude.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Because he was the one and only choice in their minds with no back up plan at all.

Is it a good tactic in a negotiation to tell the world you are making the deal before you actually make the deal?  The other side gives a grinch grin and just ups the price or holds firm even if they do not have a strong negotiation position.

The packers were 100% desperate to get rid of rodgers with no other suitors to drive up the price.  The jets just handed them the best possible return .

Also we can see how important the off season program is since he guy wre trade for is skipping the mandatory camp.

again QB is not DE, DE not being at OTA's means nothing.....a QB who is brand new...means more.

its a fair point on telling the world they were all in, but again with ARod being as big of a star as he is....i dont think you can compare this to a normal situation. we can agree to disagree, but i had no problem with it.