NEW YORK JETS LOGO CREATOR SUES TEAM, NFL ... Pay Me For My Design!!!

TBJ

image.png.143761ca5451518769d254a1cc2e60dc.png

Jim Pons -- the man who created one of the New York Jets' logos -- is now suing the team and the NFL ... demanding he be paid for their use of his design.

Pons filed the lawsuit, obtained by TMZ Sports, in New York on Monday ... claiming he made the now-iconic emblem way back in the 1970s, after he had been working for the team as a film and video director.

image.png.22babcdca2bef63cec1a981279fa2ac7.png

Pons says in '78, the Jets were looking for a redesign -- and when he submitted his logo that featured a jet plane above the letters "E-T-S" ... team officials loved it, and began using it.

NY ended up slapping it on its uniforms until 1997, when it switched things up. But, in 2022, the franchise revealed it was going back to Pons' design part-time. In early 2024, the org. announced it'd be using the design full-time going forward.

Initially, Pons -- a former rock 'n roll musician -- was stoked over it all ... even sitting down this past spring with the team for a feature that explained how he came up with the imagery.

In the special, Pons was seen smiling as he reflected on things.

However, in his suit, Pons said he was anything but pleased with the Jets and the NFL -- believing he owns the mark which he says he created outside of the scope of his job with the team ... so now he thinks they owe him some serious compensation for his work.

image.png.6718f99428024a7b312bae3ea0b5c124.png

Pons claims the team and the league are making millions off of it ... and it's clear he wants his share.

The 81-year-old is suing for unspecified damages. He's also asking a judge to order the cancelation of the Jets' trademark of his logo. In addition, he wants a judge to rule that NY can no longer use his logo on their uniforms and merch ... at least not without his consent and compensation.

https://www.tmz.com/2024/07/01/new-york-jets-logo-creator-sues-team-nfl-wants-payment-for-design/

• Upvote 3

This happens all the time .. Reminds me of a story my character design instructor shared w me. There was an artist that used to do cartoon drawings for kids on the Santa Monica pier. One day Don Bluth passes by and asks him to draw a cute mouse with a little bit of a spunky attitude as an immigrant... Pays the guy $500... Two years later An American Tale gets nationwide release making $75 ($200m today) million profit in the 80s and Fievel the mouse goes down in history as an iconic animated character.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

c0488177eaef4533d20e92e211986da4.jpg

• Upvote 3

Considering it's 50 years later, he was a team employee at the time which wildly hurts his argument, and would still have a difficult time even proving the legitimacy of his claim independent of that, there's absolutely nothing to this other than a hope for a cash grab coming from an out-of-court settlement the Jets might be willing to throw out there lower than their legal costs.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Pretty straightforward laches/license case - he gave it to them to use, for free, way back when, and didn't say a word about payment. He should've - back then. Now? He's basically licensed it to them for free or transferred ownership to them. He's not (legally) entitled to a dime, not 46 years later

Sounds like some chaser saw the video finally crediting the guy in a "feel good" story and saw an angle. If it was brought up in 1977 or so he may have had a case.

On a (un)related note, George Lucas being a sh*tbag and suing Glen Larson back in 1978 because Lucas thought he owned Space and Lasers killed the Original Battlestar Galactica. 8 year old me was CRUSHED when it was canceled (BSG 1980 Just made things worse lol).

Disney defiling the corpse of Star Wars is just karma. 

• Upvote 1

I look forward to Mike Florio's take and how Aaron Rodgers is the mastermind behind stiffing this gentlemen out of his $10,000 dollar design. He worked for the team and any intellectual property (IP) created by him while he was employed by the Jets are now the NY Jets IP. Is Aaron's case on kicking this dog to the curb.

• Upvote 2

Sounds like some chaser saw the video finally crediting the guy in a "feel good" story and saw an angle. If it was brought up in 1977 or so he may have had a case.

On a (un)related note, George Lucas being a sh*tbag and suing Glen Larson back in 1978 because Lucas thought he owned Space and Lasers killed the Original Battlestar Galactica. 8 year old me was CRUSHED when it was canceled (BSG 1980 Just made things worse lol).

Disney defiling the corpse of Star Wars is just karma. 
Yeah but the re-birthed series kicked ass.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Dunnie said:

This happens all the time .. Reminds me of a story my character design instructor shared w me. There was an artist that used to do cartoon drawings for kids on the Santa Monica pier. One day Don Bluth passes by and asks him to draw a cute mouse with a little bit of a spunky attitude as an immigrant... Pays the guy $500... Two years later An American Tale gets nationwide release making $75 ($200m today) million profit in the 80s and Fievel the mouse goes down in history as an iconic animated character.

c0488177eaef4533d20e92e211986da4.jpg

Happens in the world of art as well.  An early Halloween painting by my wife was copied and sells regularly on apparel and many other items from China.  We've seen it on the internet all over for 2 decades now. 

bc2935_0fd5e2e8bbe24aebbee304486411780d~mv2.jpg

• Sympathy 3

9 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Pretty straightforward laches/license case - he gave it to them to use, for free, way back when, and didn't say a word about payment. He should've - back then. Now? He's basically licensed it to them for free or transferred ownership to them. He's not (legally) entitled to a dime, not 46 years later

Hasn't there been legislation that put a 25 yr expiration on this sort of creative property? I wonder if it relates to the law that led to the Friday the 13th litigation that's held up any new projects since 09. Victor Miller sued Sean Cunningham over rights to the whole Jason Voorhees story. 

Similar thing happened with Nike - they paid a college design student $35 in 1971. In 1983 they gave her 500 shares of the company, which, at .25 per didn't amount to much. It split a bunch of times so she now has over 3500 shares and it was valued 2 years ago at about 3.5 million dollars. They saw that her work was essential to the company and made an effort to do something extra. I think the Jets should pay the guy something in good faith. It's not right that they can make millions off of merchandising with this guys work and not give him a dime, especially when $50,000 is a drop in the bucket for them. It will say a lot about the company/team with how they handle this. The logo clearly strikes a chord with Jets fans and we were jumping at the chance to buy the 'legacy' stuff.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

I look forward to Mike Florio's take and how Aaron Rodgers is the mastermind behind stiffing this gentlemen out of his $10,000 dollar design. He worked for the team and any intellectual property (IP) created by him while he was employed by the Jets are now the NY Jets IP. Is Aaron's case on kicking this dog to the curb.

That's not actually how this works, unless "creating the logo" was part of his job duties. If you design a new logo for McDonalds in your spare time while you also have a job flipping burgers for them, it's yours, not theirs. If they want to use it, they need to license it from you

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Happens in the world of art as well.  An early Halloween painting by my wife was copied and sells regularly on apparel and many other items from China.  We've seen it on the internet all over for 2 decades now. 

bc2935_0fd5e2e8bbe24aebbee304486411780d~mv2.jpg

You know that you can send a C&D or a DMCA takedown notice about that if she registers the copyright, right?

1 hour ago, freestater said:

Hasn't there been legislation that put a 25 yr expiration on this sort of creative property? I wonder if it relates to the law that led to the Friday the 13th litigation that's held up any new projects since 09. Victor Miller sued Sean Cunningham over rights to the whole Jason Voorhees story. 

Since 1978, the law has allowed an author to terminate a copyright license in the 35th year after the license was entered. We're well past that.

• Upvote 1