Allen Lazard Opportunity

Listen I'm the 1st to say he was crap last year. Rodgers went down and he seemed to not care.

BUT..... Rodgers is back and MW will be out for TC. So likely Lazard will be getting starting reps all TC. Which being he already has a relationship with Rodgers... likely makes him look good.

I think a healthy MW still starts over him. But being that MW will have no reps with Rodgers and such. I could see there being some time for him to work in. Which gives Lazard an opportunity to prove himself to this staff.

My point being that Lazard I could see start week 1 if MW isn't 100%. That given he will be getting those TC reps. He will be familiar with everyone. So I don't see us rushing MW back while Lazard is getting those reps.

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Listen I'm the 1st to say he was crap last year. Rodgers went down and he seemed to not care.

BUT..... Rodgers is back and MW will be out for TC. So likely Lazard will be getting starting reps all TC. Which being he already has a relationship with Rodgers... likely makes him look good.

I think a healthy MW still starts over him. But being that MW will have no reps with Rodgers and such. I could see there being some time for him to work in. Which gives Lazard an opportunity to prove himself to this staff.

My point being that Lazard I could see start week 1 if MW isn't 100%. That given he will be getting those TC reps. He will be familiar with everyone. So I don't see us rushing MW back while Lazard is getting those reps.

This is a worse case scenario for the Jets. Lazard is in NY only because JD thought he was going to be great and paid him sh*t ton in guarantees for him. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He's about as far from fine as you can get.  He flat out sucks and gave zero effort to improve. Hopefully he will fear Rodgers wrath and actually give 2 shts this year.

Awful JD signing.  One of his worst.  Thanks Aaron.

So Lazard had 4 solid years w/ Rodgers.

Had 1 bad year w/o Rodgers.

This year he will have Rodgers.

And your opinion is he will flat out suck with Rodgers when there is 4 years of data showing the complete opposite?

Jet fans.............................

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Lazard is fine.  He is here for 1 more year and will play good under Rodgers.  He will catch 35 balls for 350 yards and 3 tds.

Not bad for a wr 4/5.

That's probably about right for his production.

The problem is we grossly overpaid for that WR 4/5.

Lazard signed a four-year contract with the Jets just last year, a deal worth $44 million and includes $22 million guaranteed and he's actually under contract through the 2026 season.

Allen Lazard | NFL | Spotrac.com

Lazard's contract averages 11 million per season.

That's what a legit WR2 should be paid.

Lazard was signed to be a WR2 across from Garrett Wilson and he clearly hasn't come anywhere close, to living up to that role yet.

Obviously with AR going down so quickly last season, he's been given a pass for his poor showing.

In my opinion, at the very least - Lazard's contract should be restructured and he should take a pay cut.

His dead-cap hit this year would be 18 million if he was cut, so he's definitely not going anywhere this season, but next year, his dead cap number drops to 6.5 million, so if he under-achieves again this season, he'll almost certainly be gone next off-season.

I think we're all hoping that Lazard shows some improvement this season, with AR back under center.

But I watched Lazard drop some very catchable balls last year and he definitely seems to struggle getting any kind of real separation & I don't know how much of that can be fixed, with a different QB throwing him the ball.

• Upvote 2

lazard's problem is mainly between his ears.  he missed an awful lot of easy catches and that's just lack of concentration as opposed to any physical defect.  i think he'll have a much better season this year and a whole lot more confidence in the offense.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Lazard is fine.  He is here for 1 more year and will play good under Rodgers.  He will catch 35 balls for 350 yards and 3 tds.

Not bad for a wr 4/5.

Can’t thank Douglas for paying a “WR4/5” that kind of money though can we?

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

The flip side is that with Wilson and Williams healthy, his best chance at getting on the field would be in the slot. But with Williams probably out of practice most of training camp, Lazard will work at the X while Gipson and Corley get all the slot reps. Once Williams is ready, Lazard is backing him up with little chance of getting any slot reps at all. He’d be hoping to be WR #4 with no lock on that. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

That's probably about right for his production.

The problem is we grossly overpaid for that WR 4/5.

Lazard signed a four-year contract with the Jets just last year, a deal worth $44 million and includes $22 million guaranteed and he's actually under contract through the 2026 season.

Allen Lazard | NFL | Spotrac.com

Lazard's contract averages 11 million per season.

That's what a legit WR2 should be paid.

Lazard was signed to be a WR2 across from Garrett Wilson and he clearly hasn't come anywhere close, to living up to that role yet.

Obviously with AR going down so quickly last season, he's been given a pass for his poor showing.

In my opinion, at the very least - Lazard's contract should be restructured and he should take a pay cut.

His dead-cap hit this year would be 18 million if he was cut, so he's definitely not going anywhere this season, but next year, his dead cap number drops to 6.5 million, so if he under-achieves again this season, he'll almost certainly be gone next off-season.

I think we're all hoping that Lazard shows some improvement this season, with AR back under center.

But I watched Lazard drop some very catchable balls last year and he definitely seems to struggle getting any kind of real separation & I don't know how much of that can be fixed, with a different QB throwing him the ball.

I think restructuring him is a terrible idea.  The only reason he would agree to take a pay cut would be if we gave him guarantees that would make him more likely to stick around for 2025.  That is last thing that we want.  He is basically in a contract year now.  Perform or you're gone.  I don't want to extend that.   Think of CJ Mosley.  We (@Sperm Edwards) have been saying it is cheaper to just dump him, but they keep getting him to restructure.  It gives cap relief for the season but makes us have to keep him around longer.  Mosley is a leader and plays hard on a unit that performs.  I absolutely do not want that with Lazard.  Make him perform well.  When he sucks we can dump him.  If he doesn't we can either move him or keep him.  By 2025 a non-guaranteed $11M will be a bargain for a 500-750 yard season.

• Upvote 2

It'd be nice if he didn't stink, but Saleh already slipped up an said he's gone after this season.

I'd expect Brownlee to get every chance to get the reps Williams is missing out on.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It'd be nice if he didn't stink, but Saleh already slipped up an said he's gone after this season.

I'd expect Brownlee to get every chance to get the reps Williams is missing out on.

You think Rodgers wants to throw to Brownlee or Lazard with Williams out? I think we know that answer. Let's not act like what Rodgers wants wont be in play with Lazard.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

You think Rodgers wants to throw to Brownlee or Lazard with Williams out? I think we know that answer. Let's not act like what Rodgers wants wont be in play with Lazard.

I think he'll want to play with the guy who does a better job of catching the football.  Lazard's career drop numbers are horrifying.  If he keeps that up and Brownlee manages to hold on to the ball then Rodgers isn't going to insist he continue getting the opportunity to throw to a drive killer.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think restructuring him is a terrible idea.  The only reason he would agree to take a pay cut would be if we gave him guarantees that would make him more likely to stick around for 2025.  That is last thing that we want.  He is basically in a contract year now.  Perform or you're gone.  I don't want to extend that.   Think of CJ Mosley.  We (@Sperm Edwards) have been saying it is cheaper to just dump him, but they keep getting him to restructure.  It gives cap relief for the season but makes us have to keep him around longer.  Mosley is a leader and plays hard on a unit that performs.  I absolutely do not want that with Lazard.  Make him perform well.  When he sucks we can dump him.  If he doesn't we can either move him or keep him.  By 2025 a non-guaranteed $11M will be a bargain for a 500-750 yard season.

This. Restructure $11MM from someone else who's 100% in the team's plan going forward. Plus then - starting this season - it keeps him in contract-year situations, since all future seasons for 2025+ are then at the team's pleasure. 

It doesn't literally matter, presuming they wouldn't guarantee him any more than the $11MM already guaranteed, but the optics of a big dead cap hit in the $8MM range are sometimes even worse than the optics of $11MM for this year, and none of us would want that to cause the team to keep him longer. Still not definite it would (see Laken Tomlinson earlier this year), but unless it hardly seems worth the endeavor -- It's not as though free agency starts next week.

35 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This. Restructure $11MM from someone else who's 100% in the team's plan going forward. Plus then - starting this season - it keeps him in contract-year situations, since all future seasons for 2025+ are then at the team's pleasure. 

It doesn't literally matter, presuming they wouldn't guarantee him any more than the $11MM already guaranteed, but the optics of a big dead cap hit in the $8MM range are sometimes even worse than the optics of $11MM for this year, and none of us would want that to cause the team to keep him longer. Still not definite it would (see Laken Tomlinson earlier this year), but unless it hardly seems worth the endeavor -- It's not as though free agency starts next week.

His dead-cap hit this year, would be 18 million if he was cut, so he's definitely not going anywhere this season.

But next year, his dead cap number drops to 6.5 million, so if he under-achieves again this season, he'll almost certainly be gone.

I understand the argument for not restructuring him, based on the fact that it would probably keep him around longer.

That said, I just really have a hard time with Lazard making 11 million a year.

To this point, he's not even worth half of that salary.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So Lazard had 4 solid years w/ Rodgers.

Had 1 bad year w/o Rodgers.

This year he will have Rodgers.

And your opinion is he will flat out suck with Rodgers when there is 4 years of data showing the complete opposite?

Jet fans.............................

yes.  He sucks.  He abandoned last season.. clearly gave up.  F--k him.  He is terrible and it is one of JDs worst signings.  Let's not even discuss just HOW MUCH Jets cap capital they sacrificed for this bum.  If only the Jets had filled their thin WR lineup so that we don't have to rely on this lazy tall slot receiver again.  But we do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Lazard was a decent player with Rodgers and then had an absolute nightmare without him last year. 

Let’s hope he can return to form. Either way, he’s not particularly talented and shouldn’t be a longterm option for this team after Rodgers retires. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Lazard can't separate and can't catch. The greatest QB in the world doesn't fix those issues.

Uhhhh just for the record, Rodgers signed off on bringing Lizard over. So, yea thats a no.

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think Lazard will do OK with Rodgers based on their decent chemistry together.  I also am very much looking forward to when he's off the roster in 2025.  Both things can be true.

@Jetsfan80 The Eternal Optomist.

Oh by the way, on my way to NC at end of month. Talked my daughter in going there and she's there already. First time she's ever listened to any of my suggestions. 😄 Got a nice place in Cary. As Bart says "Cant wait"!

• Post of the Week 1

Lazard was objectively awful last year.  Slow as molasses.  The worst set of hands I've seen on a WR since Justin McCareins.

I never liked this signing.  He was a complete JAG on the Packers while being given every opportunity to step up into a WR1 role after Davante Adams departed.  He failed, and then Douglas subsequently decided to give him top end WR2 money.  It didn't make any sense.  He is ridiculously overpaid.

With that said, this year is not about money, it's about making a serious playoff run.  The Jets are all in.  The Jets need Lazard to be a serviceable WR4/5, and hopefully he can rise up to meet those lowered expectations compared to last year.

• Upvote 2