One of the most overrated players in the league - NFL Personnel Evaluator

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

In terms of Sauce Gardner, he's far too handsy and makes too many plays with his head turned to the guy he's covering, not the ball.  He's lucky, frankly, he hasn't been called for PI more, because he's pretty obvious in his PI as part of his game.

And he gets very few INT's for an elite Corner.  And so far he's not been glued to the opponents #1 WR all game, as the truly elite guys do.

I don't know about "most overrated", but I do, and continue to, think he is overrated by Jets Fans.

He's a very good cover corner who gets away with alot of sloppy handsy play, he's not an elite cornerback primarily because he does not generate elite turnover production.

I'm glad we have him, but I don't know if, when the time comes, he's going to be worth a historic-type contract offer.

Agreed.

Sauce is too handsy and is probably overrated due to the fact that he doesn't cause turnovers. But he's still an excellent corner in today's NFL. 

All of these things can be true without Jets fans melting down in tears.

8 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Good player. Not dynamic. Would think long about giving him a max level CB contract. Defense would be good with or without him. 

8 hours ago, funaz said:

I agree.

Sauce is a cool kid seems genuine enough and a good player.

But currently not worth breaking the bank over.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He's the best corner in football and super dynamic. Not sure exactly whom you are watching

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Good player. Not dynamic. Would think long about giving him a max level CB contract. Defense would be good with or without him. 

If you didn’t believe it previously, further proof this guy is a troll. Anyone who writes his last sentence can never been taken seriously. Me writing this response has already wasted 30 seconds of my life on a  who is still reeling because the Jets traded the starstruck love of his life. 

11 hours ago, Jdeet said:

If you didn’t believe it previously, further proof this guy is a troll. Anyone who writes his last sentence can never been taken seriously. Me writing this response has already wasted 30 seconds of my life on a  who is still reeling because the Jets traded the starstruck love of his life. 

I have no idea who you are and you are writing like you know me. You seem to be wasting a lot of time on research. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

Did Deion ever make a tackle?  Granted he’s not built for real contact but his job is to cover and he does that as good as anyone.  If people don’t like him it’s probably more because he plays and succeeds in the largest market.

I'm not putting him down but plenty of old school guys don t like that.  It also is not really indicative of a guy trying to be the best he can be and seems like it might get him hurt..   

FWIW in his first 2 seasons Deion had twice as many TDs as Sauce has INTs.  I love him but his style might not be for everybody.

Meh, the Pats built a dynasty by coaching their CBs and OLs to hold on every play. Games are time boxed. Calling it every time hurts viewership and advertisers. BB understood this. This is a stupid news snippet.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Why are jet fans so concerned about signing guys?  Our young studs are all getting signed.  Garrett, Breece, Sauce etc will all get very nice 2nd contract from Joe D

Relax jet fans!  For once just enjoy what we have and be confident we are keeping it.

Top of the market contracts for all three players, which they will all deserve, will probably cost north of $75M/year for the three of them. That’s roughly a quarter of your salary cap right there. Something will probably have to give. 

the lack of picks are a fair criticism but he's been an all pro from the second he stepped foot on an NFL field. That's a pretty good outcome for a draft pick. 

Converting more picks would be great but any time the offense throws at him it's basically guaranteed to be a wasted down. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, slats said:

Top of the market contracts for all three players, which they will all deserve, will probably cost north of $75M/year for the three of them. That’s roughly a quarter of your salary cap right there. Something will probably have to give. 

One issue in our favor is that our dead cap is really high right now (over $52M).  That's all off the books next year so if we don't have a repeat, which would be hard to do, that opens up a lot of room to start working those deals.  The median dead cap is around $25M and looking at the roster, I doubt we would even hit $20M even if we parted ways with Mosley and Lazard next year (using post-June 1 numbers).  Every time we think a team is screwed and will have to let players walk, they find ways to kick the can down the road.  Look at the Saints for the last decade.  They are finally paying the piper but they bought themselves a few extra years (stupidly but that's another matter).  The 49ers have done a good job of keeping a lot of stars on their roster.  That's probably the best roadmap out there right now. 

I think the Jets can keep all three without gutting the roster but there will be a hangover maybe 3 years down the road.  That's fine.  If Rodgers plays well this year and looks like he's coming back again, I think it's highly likely we resign all three.  That, to me, is the key.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I'm not putting him down but plenty of old school guys don t like that.  It also is not really indicative of a guy trying to be the best he can be and seems like it might get him hurt..   

FWIW in his first 2 seasons Deion had twice as many TDs as Sauce has INTs.  I love him but his style might not be for everybody.

Hmm, I’m sure the old school guys liked Lester Hayes and Mike  Haynes.  Lester was certainly handsy and Hayneswas one of those tall corners.  Cromartie too.  I know sauce gets heat for his lack of interceptions but it also means his priority is to stop the completion and no take a chance by going too much for the ball.  I think it comes down to styles.

52 minutes ago, Asymmetrical said:

the lack of picks are a fair criticism but he's been an all pro from the second he stepped foot on an NFL field. That's a pretty good outcome for a draft pick. 

Converting more picks would be great but any time the offense throws at him it's basically guaranteed to be a wasted down. 

Plus, maybe I’m wrong but we really haven’t played with much of a lead during his tenure and certainly never scared a team into passing more because we be an offensive juggernaut. So, maybe T this year if we have more leads he gets more picks? Maybe? Possibly? Hopefully? 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Woody handpicked him he even posted a video on twitter saying he was going to draft him before the draft began.  Sauce is getting a huge cap busting payday here

Just now, Rich Thornburgh said:

Woody handpicked him he even posted a video on twitter saying he was going to draft him before the draft began.  Sauce is getting a huge cap busting payday here

Definitely Woody influenced. It’s worked out in that regard as he’s probably the most popular player on the team outside of AR.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Asymmetrical said:

CBs you cannot really evaluate based on INTs. A lot of times it just means they have their receiver covered and a qb who knows what he’s doing won’t throw to them

Safety is different because they are basically centerfield in football which is why it was ironic Jamal Adams was supposed to be the GOAT safety yet he had as many picks during entire seasons as me

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Definitely Woody influenced. It’s worked out in that regard as he’s probably the most popular player on the team outside of AR.

Sauce is good.  Is he Revis good?  No. And we did the smart thing and traded Revis for picks 

33 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Hmm, I’m sure the old school guys liked Lester Hayes and Mike  Haynes.  Lester was certainly handsy and Hayneswas one of those tall corners.  Cromartie too.  I know sauce gets heat for his lack of interceptions but it also means his priority is to stop the completion and no take a chance by going too much for the ball.  I think it comes down to styles.

I'm not saying that I agree, but I think there are guys that feel that way.  Lester Hayes is another guy that got a ton of INTs.  I think he had 13 in a season with another 5 in the postseason.  I agree it comes down to styles.  Plenty of coaches had issues with Cromartie.  We were pretty merciless on here with his lack of effort against us in the 2009 playoffs.  Plenty of Jets fans have him on the top of the heap and compare him to Revis, who already got a gold jacket, so it doesn't take much for someone to think he is overrated.  Doesn't mean they are right.

9 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Sauce is good.  Is he Revis good?  No. And we did the smart thing and traded Revis for picks 

In terms of break the bank players on defense- the overriding factor is if the player makes plays or not. Sauce hasn’t done that yet. As far as Revis, once he wasn’t on his rookie deal he wasn’t worth it anymore. Ed Reed, TP made plays throughout their careers. Charles Woodson too. Those are the secondary players you pay. Can you make negative tackles? Do you force fumbles? Can you operate center field? It’s not that difficult to figure this out. The most valuable secondary player in the league right now is Kyle Hamilton. 

• Upvote 1

I've been watching ball for a long time and I can count on one hand how many Jets players were elite the second they stepped foot on the field.  Sauce is one of the few.  Dont give me this stupid sh*t about him being handsy and not tackling and no turnovers.  So dumb.  It's like you dont even watch this team play.

The NY Jets were top 5 in every single defensive passing category.  If you dont think Sauce Gardner is the #1 reason for that success rate, you're just dumb.  Straight up.  Sorry, not sorry.  He's worth every penny he will demand when the time comes.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I've been watching ball for a long time and I can count on one hand how many Jets players were elite the second they stepped foot on the field.  Sauce is one of the few.  Dont give me this stupid sh*t about him being handsy and not tackling and no turnovers.  So dumb.  It's like you dont even watch this team play.

The NY Jets were top 5 in every single defensive passing category.  If you dont think Sauce Gardner is the #1 reason for that success rate, you're just dumb.  Straight up.  Sorry, not sorry.  He's worth every penny he will demand when the time comes.

IMG_1165.jpeg

21 hours ago, nycdan said:

So one ESPN writer does his own poll, publishes it which then gets amplified by Bleacher Report, and now that's a thing?  

Would anyone here trade Sauce for Denzel Ward?  Literally anyone?

I know I wouldn't but I'm just a nobody on this forum.  

29 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Saying Sauce isnt elite might be the dumbest take on the board since the Mike Glennon guy made a fool of himself.

21 hours ago, Warfish said:

Where are you sourcing that claim?  Per Pro Football Reference, he's allowed two so far in the Pros, 1 ea. per season played.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GardSa00.htm

I remember when one of them occurred, because initially it looked like it was on Sauce, but on replay it was clear he was supposed to be handing off to safety coverage that ended up not being there. I don't remember the game, but do remember the instance. Anyway the TD was nominally put on Sauce because he was the last person covering the receiver, and stats-aggregation doesn't factor in mental errors of someone else not being in the picture where he was supposed to. In effect, almost every play is graded as though it's in man when there's such a blown assignment.

Same sometimes occurs in pass protection where one lineman is supposed to be handing off and on initial glance it looks like he just  absentmindedly wasn't paying attention to what seems to be right in front of him, when in practice it was someone else's responsibility. Sack still goes to the guy who did the right thing because the guy who wasn't there - who was supposed to be - wasn't even in on the play & stats-aggregators won't play mind reader who was really supposed to be there, so they go with whoever was closest. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Tit for tat on who actually gave up the touchdown is kind of a silly exercise. The Jets mainly play zone. 

It's only silly if all the DBs are the same ones that gave up said TDs. If a TD was on Whitehead, and he's not here & starting 17 games again, then it's neither silly nor tit for tat.

8 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's only silly if all the DBs are the same ones that gave up said TDs. If a TD was on Whitehead, and he's not here & starting 17 games again, then it's neither silly nor tit for tat.

I mean you could easily argue that Shazir touchdown was on sauce last year, but I don’t think it was credited against him. 

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean you could easily argue that Shazir touchdown was on sauce last year, but I don’t think it was credited against him. 

I think the fact that there is a debate about the two touchdowns he maybe might have given up in 35 (?) career starts is a pretty good indicator that he's good. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Asymmetrical said:

I think the fact that there is a debate about the two touchdowns he maybe might have given up in 35 (?) career starts is a pretty good indicator that he's good. 

He is good.