Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

9 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

It certainly makes it extremely unlikely @Mr. Rogers

In fact, I can't recall ever hearing about a player agreeing to a new, or reworked deal in the off-season and not showing up to camp following the signing/restructuring.

How about taking someone at their word? Should that count for anything in this world? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

It certainly makes it extremely unlikely @Mr. Rogers

In fact, I can't recall ever hearing about a player agreeing to a new, or reworked deal in the off-season and not showing up to camp following the signing/restructuring.

Yeah, I know. I do feel like it has happened after a player signs the franchise tag but I can't think of a specific instance. Like I said, really I agree with you, but I think the point is that we supposedly had Reddick's word only for him to go back on that.

A man is only as good as his word, one way or the other. 

Edit: I see those above have said the same lol. Overall I think the Jets would have been much wiser to have that contract set in stone beforehand, but at the same time, considering both sides seem to want to negotiate, I think they're just surprised at Reddicks change to a hardline attitude? I think the media has slightly overblown this, but we'll see. If it gets resolved next week this will all have been very pedantic discourse 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

How about taking someone at their word? Should that count for anything in this world? 

@Scott Dierking

This is a touchy subject for me, in particular.

Reason being, is because how I was raised, honoring your word & being a man of your word, is a very important core value to me and one of the single most important things you can do, as an individual.

I feel that everybody should honor their word, which goes a long way towards being considered trustworthy by others.

Unfortunately, not everybody is trustworthy & in the world of the NFL, your word doesn't mean very much - money talks & everything else is secondary.

I certainly don't agree with it, but as Bruce Hornsby once sang, "That's just the way it is".

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

@Scott Dierking

Reason being, is because how I was raised, honoring your word & being a man of your word, is a very important core value to me and one of the single most important things you can do, as an individual.

I feel that everybody should honor their word, which goes a long way towards being considered trustworthy by others.

Unfortunately, not everybody is trustworthy & in the world of the NFL, your word doesn't mean very much - money talks & everything else is secondary.

I certainly don't agree with it, but as Bruce Hornsby once sang, "That's just the way it is".

being true to your word is a great thing to be. but you can't be so naive to think anyone else will be. situations change, minds change and in the end you have to look out for yourself and your family first and foremost. too many people wiling to take advantage of you at a moment's notice. it's as henry hill said, your murderers come with smiles

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

being true to your word is a great thing to be. but you can't be so naive to think anyone else will be. 

I'm not naive about it at all, that doesn't mean I have to condone it, when people go back on their word.

I absolutely do not.

It's a character flaw, that a fair amount of people seem to have, it's as simple as that.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I'm not naive about it at all, that doesn't mean I have to condone it, when people go back on their word.

I absolutely do not.

It's a character flaw, that a fair amount of people seem to have, it's as simple as that.

I wasn't insinuating you are naive. Just saying in general. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Hey Hassan, this is your LeVeon Bell moment.  

How did that work out?

Exactly.  Reddick is going to cost himself $30-40 mil next year if he sits out the entire season.  Yes, there’s always injury risk if he plays but he’s not getting more than a 1-2 year prove it deal if goes AWOL during the regular season 

Only reason Bell got one last payday was Macagnan bidding against himself 

• Upvote 2

On 8/2/2024 at 3:25 PM, ARodJetsFan said:

@Scott Dierking

You do realize that Woody Johnson owns the Jets and Roder Godell is the Commissioner. 

*This post is brought to you by Tony Soprano, the official bookmaker of the NFL.  

• Haha 2

On 8/3/2024 at 10:52 AM, Fantasy Island said:

Hey Hassan, this is your LeVeon Bell moment.  

How did that work out?

It's a game of chicken. There are only so many paydays left for a 32 year old edge. Looks like Douglas is betting at some point between now and Week 1 Reddick isn't going to forego this pot of $ for this season. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Barton said:

Its always good to have extra elite pass rushers but the Jets defense doesnt really need Reddick if McDonald can just step up. 

Exactly.  What a waste to spend 24 pages on this.  I could care less if he ever shows up.  This is a 13-4 division winning team whether he shows or not.

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Exactly.  What a waste to spend 24 pages on this.  I could care less if he ever shows up.  This is a 13-4 division winning team whether he shows or not.

You mean you COULDN’T care less. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

So do we all.  He would make a big difference to our defense so of course we all want him to show up.

17 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Mods - can you change the subject line to something like:

~~~ Official Hassan Reddick holding out thread ~~~

I was going to change it to something else. I was thinking:

Smurfette was only the second-hottest Smurf. Fight me.

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The JI geniuses are back correcting grammar on the forum.

Hshahahahahaha

Please point out when I use your and you’re incorrectly as well.

Thanks!

For someone who enjoys trolling others so much, you sure are butthurt 

Anyway, that one is a pet peeve of mine because, as written, it expresses the exact opposite sentiment that was intended. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If Reddick sits out the season then he’ll be in the same situation, a year older, in 2025. In the meantime, If he badly injures himself away from the team (ACL, badly torn muscle, etc.), while working out or running private drills in an effort to keep himself in shape during his holdout, he may lose credit for the season no matter what (no pay and he’ll be under contract with the Jets next year at $14MM again).

At this point in early August he’s not really risking anything for himself, but eventually there comes a time when he loses a lot (or all) of whatever leverage he has today. 

What will happen is they’ll bump him (by some amount) and he’ll then play. We all prefer sooner than later, but Reddick loses a lot and gains nothing by sitting out the whole season. If he holds out through week 7 and then has a weak/4-5 sack 10-game season, with the cumulative fines he’ll lose roughly half his pay this year and then in March he still won’t get nearly the same offers as he’s seeking.

This is why I’m still not concerned. Not thrilled, either, but not concerned. The best thing he can do for his current and future bank account is to come to camp, play a full season, and play it well. At this point, I’d like to see Joe Douglas throw him some face-saving token, one that he should accept, claim victory, and get to work. 

• Upvote 3

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade