Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

56 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Fans buying season tickets and paying for $25 hot dogs and $30 import beers enables the idiot owner to believe he can be a shadow NFL GM for 15 years with 0 consequences 

In fairness to the season ticket holders, it's probably healthier than sitting at home watching the game with a loaded gun in your mouth. 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 4

55 minutes ago, varjet said:

What are Reddick’s fines up to?  How could he come back?

I haven't seen any updated numbers as everybody has been pretty quiet about it since the Jets shut down his trade request.

I would think he's got be up around 2 million + by now, missing his 2nd pre-season game, which is the equivalent of losing a 2nd game check.

15 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I haven't seen any updated numbers as everybody has been pretty quiet about it since the Jets hut down his trade request.

I would think he's got be up around 2 million + by now, missing his 2nd pre-season game, which is the equivalent of losing a 2nd game check.

As of Sunday:

Judon's statement probably won't change anything on Reddick's side but it makes it that much less likely that the Jets will cave.  Reddick really has no scenario where he gets paid before he shows up.  No matter what else you believe, or want to believe, I think that's pretty much set in stone.  So staying away now is just stacking bad on top of bad for him.  

What would be interesting to be a fly on the wall for is that no doubt his agents are trying to find a team that would be willing to trade for his rights.  Any team talking to them about this would be in direct violation of league rules I believe so it would have to be very hush hush.  

Fair question. If a team offered to take over the conditional pick the Jets owe PHI, what more would be enough to rid ourselves of this nonsense.  I doubt anyone is going to pony up a lot more (or they would have back when we traded for him) but it's an interesting exercise.  Might not happen until a few weeks into the season in any case.  If we walk away from this with a free 2025 3rd rounder, it'll be disappointing but may be the best outcome for the Jets.  

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

As of Sunday:

Judon's statement probably won't change anything on Reddick's side but it makes it that much less likely that the Jets will cave.  Reddick really has no scenario where he gets paid before he shows up.  No matter what else you believe, or want to believe, I think that's pretty much set in stone.  So staying away now is just stacking bad on top of bad for him.  

What would be interesting to be a fly on the wall for is that no doubt his agents are trying to find a team that would be willing to trade for his rights.  Any team talking to them about this would be in direct violation of league rules I believe so it would have to be very hush hush.  

Fair question. If a team offered to take over the conditional pick the Jets owe PHI, what more would be enough to rid ourselves of this nonsense.  I doubt anyone is going to pony up a lot more (or they would have back when we traded for him) but it's an interesting exercise.  Might not happen until a few weeks into the season in any case.  If we walk away from this with a free 2025 3rd rounder, it'll be disappointing but may be the best outcome for the Jets.  

It is not just the conditional pick it is the one year $15m  rental on a pass rusher that would be lost to the Jets here.  It may already be gone but at that point for me at least it is about driving his market value into the toilet rather than any compensatory pick we might lose out on.

4 minutes ago, EM31 said:

It is not just the conditional pick it is the one year $15m  rental on a pass rusher that would be lost to the Jets here.  It may already be gone but at that point for me at least it is about driving his market value into the toilet rather than any compensatory pick we might lose out on.

I believe that his salary does not count against our cap as long as he is not reporting.  Basing that on this article about Chris Jones last season:

https://chiefsdigest.com/what-chris-jones-landing-on-did-not-report-list-means-for-chiefs/#google_vignette

"By placing Jones on the did not report list, the Chiefs removed him from the active roster. While on the reserve list, his Paragraph 5 salary will not count toward the Chiefs’ salary cap allotment."

Jones's prorated signing bonus still dinged their cap, but that's a PHI problem, not a NYJ problem.  Basically, the way I read it, he costs us nothing if he sits home.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, nycdan said:

As of Sunday:

I wouldn’t trade him even if a team wanted give us the compensation that we gave the Eagles. Reddick has no leverage, he has at show up at some point. Even if he’s stupid enough to sit out the season, the Jets still own his rights next season.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I believe that his salary does not count against our cap as long as he is not reporting.  Basing that on this article about Chris Jones last season:

https://chiefsdigest.com/what-chris-jones-landing-on-did-not-report-list-means-for-chiefs/#google_vignette

"By placing Jones on the did not report list, the Chiefs removed him from the active roster. While on the reserve list, his Paragraph 5 salary will not count toward the Chiefs’ salary cap allotment."

Jones's prorated signing bonus still dinged their cap, but that's a PHI problem, not a NYJ problem.  Basically, the way I read it, he costs us nothing if he sits home.

Pretty sure that he also loses the equivalent of a game check for every pre-season game that he misses, I KNOW I read that somewhere.

Here it is:

Agent's Take: Potential 2024 training camp holdouts include a pair of All-Pro WRs and a disgruntled RB - CBSSports.com

There's an additional penalty of one week's base salary (1/18th of salary) for each preseason game missed with players signing contracts as unrestricted free agents or first-round picks playing under their fifth-year option.

Under previous CBAs, the fines could be reduced or waived. Fine forgiveness or reduction is only allowed for players under rookie contracts with the current CBA.

19 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Yeah but we are not in a position to use that $15M elsewhere at this point.  I mean maybe we could use it to lock up one or more of our own players early but it isn't as if we could go out and buy a re4placement pass rusher with that money this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

I wouldn’t trade him even if a team wanted give us the compensation that we gave the Eagles. Reddick has no leverage, he has at show up at some point. Even if he’s stupid enough to sit out the season, the Jets still own his rights next season.

You Internet badass you

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, varjet said:

What are Reddick’s fines up to?  How could he come back?

How?  Guessing his keycard into Florham Park still works, if not, I’m sure QW would open the door for him to walk through. 

9 hours ago, bicketybam said:

This is always your fallback....accusing the person you're debating with being a Woody Johnson/Joe Douglas/Zach Wilson apologist. 

It’s not an accusation it’s pointing out what you do all day. You were a “Zach is the next Rodgers” guru until it became a source of embarrassment 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

It’s not an accusation it’s pointing out what you do all day. You were a “Zach is the next Rodgers” guru until it became a source of embarrassment 

Ok, Phildo. Just keep making sh*t up.

56 minutes ago, C Mart said:

How?  Guessing his keycard into Florham Park still works, if not, I’m sure QW would open the door for him to walk through. 

what keycard? you actually have to show up to get one of those.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah that's not bad but it's still amateur:

I'd let him rot all year AND I'd text him a different Jets fan's dick pic every day of the season! 

Mess with the bull you get the horns. Or I guess in this instance, the horn. Every day.

And make him pay to stock the soda machines in the Jets locker room. 

73CDE185-8865-4A6D-9C8E-BC20B8BF9965.gif.24d96fcd76f663cbc85aa179904eddb6.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

I've read that Woody Johnson only wants to give 1 year contracts to free agents, in case he wants to start over if this year turns into garbage.  

And, by looking at all the free agent contracts, that looks to be exactly the case.  If we go by this, then Joe Douglas's hands are tied in trying to negotiate an extended contract with Reddick.  

The Jets have $20M in money right now, with Reddick eating up $15M of that if everything stays the same.  Tough to negotiate when your hands are tied.

14 minutes ago, Alka said:

I've read that Woody Johnson only wants to give 1 year contracts to free agents, in case he wants to start over if this year turns into garbage.  

And, by looking at all the free agent contracts, that looks to be exactly the case.  If we go by this, then Joe Douglas's hands are tied in trying to negotiate an extended contract with Reddick.  

The Jets have $20M in money right now, with Reddick eating up $15M of that if everything stays the same.  Tough to negotiate when your hands are tied.

There was certainly some miscommunication between Woody and Douglas on this. Or Douglas figured he could convince Woody after he made the deal. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

50 minutes ago, Alka said:

probably cause woody is tired of JD throwing away his money

CJ 20 million

Lazzard 44 million

Joe D fanboys refuse to admit he has signed some terrible contracts but then again they refuse to admit he is almost 40 games under 500 for this record as well

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, kmnj said:

probably cause woody is tired of JD throwing away his money

CJ 20 million

Lazzard 44 million

Joe D fanboys refuse to admit he has signed some terrible contracts but then again they refuse to admit he is almost 40 games under 500 for this record as well

Lazard was just a terrible contract.   And JD's record as GM is awful.  This is the make or break year.  For both JD and Saleh.  

Not to mention that JD put his reputation on the line for fixing the O line.  Looks finally to be fixed, but years of failure to get here.  Olu was not JD's first choice for the #10 pick, but it was the right choice.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Is this F-ing guy really going to give up $15mm?

I've been one for JD just sucking it up and paying the guy to get him on the field, but I'm still shocked it's gone this far.

Yep, you would think. My demarcation point of "not getting" it was at week 3 of the pre-season, and we are at that point. Wonder how he is being advised. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Is this F-ing guy really going to give up $15mm?

I've been one for JD just sucking it up and paying the guy to get him on the field, but I'm still shocked it's gone this far.

Yeah, honestly never thought it would get this far 

1 hour ago, Ken Schroy said:

I actually never put an exact number to it, but that seems about right.

It’s proven.

I was 66% honest in my first marriage. 64% in my second to my soul mate that gets stronger every day.

• WTF? 1

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

image.png

If you're willing to give up $15 million just to stubbornly make a point? You might be a Reddick.

If you're negotiating from an obvious position of weakness and behave as though you're in a position of strength holding all the cards? You might be a Reddick.

If you're under contract with a team that has 5 other first round defensive linemen AND stage a full holdout instead of a hold-in - knowing you'd still be doing nothing except eat the team's food & watch tiktok videos during the hold-in - AND rack up millions in fines ultimately for no good reason? You might be a Reddick.

If you are so worried about playing and getting injured, and then maybe show up to play barely in game shape, and it results in you getting an injury you wouldn't have otherwise had, go on IR, and THEN hit free agency? You might be a Reddick.

If you're turning 30 and are threatening to take a year off, which everyone knows will cost you millions more on next (and likely last) big cash-in opportunity? You might be a Reddick.

If you take some moral stance where you threaten refusing to ever show up, even though not showing up will result in your being under contract with this same team for the same amount next season, too? You might be a Reddick.

If a team with no past ties to you, who wants you more than actually need you, tells you and the public they flat-out won't adjust your contract if until you show up, and you decide not to show up and expect that to change for no reason? You might be a Reddick.

If you think you're going to get a lot of sympathy from a roster with a lot of young players, whose contracts are coming up themselves and want some of the money the team would otherwise pay to you? You might be a Reddick.

But by gum he has every right to completely **** himself by not reporting!

• Haha 1