Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

But by gum he has every right to completely **** himself by not reporting!

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes he does. He also has the right to have a rusted old motor or claw tub decorating the tall grass of his front lawn, too, or something.

Being stupid isn’t immoral or unethical… it’s just stupid.

• Upvote 1

Jets' Robert Saleh Had Frank Response to Question About Haason Reddick's Week 1 Status

Saleh on his confidence level that Reddick will report in time to play Week 1: 

"I don't know," Saleh told reporters. "I haven't really thought about it."

- Rich Cimini (@RichCimini) August 22, 2024

Jets' Robert Saleh Had Frank Response to Question About Haason Reddick's Week 1 Status (conchovalleyhomepage.com)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Jets' Robert Saleh Had Frank Response to Question About Haason Reddick's Week 1 Status

Jets' Robert Saleh Had Frank Response to Question About Haason Reddick's Week 1 Status (conchovalleyhomepage.com)

I would think he would have to be in the building by the start of next week to have any chance of playing in week 1, and even that may be too late. 

5 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Good and they shouldn't think about him! Jets have the Leverage right now and let's hope it stays that way.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ToonforPrez said:

Good and they shouldn't think about him! Jets have the Leverage right now and let's hope it stays that way.

He's lost round 1, quite clearly.

At this point - round 2 - Reddick's best bet is the guys starting in his place (or even McDonald on passing downs) are proving to be visible (if not game-changing) liabilities, or get outright injured.

If either of those things comes to pass, the leverage tilts back Reddick's way. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He's lost round 1, quite clearly.

At this point - round 2 - Reddick's best bet is the guys starting in his place (or even McDonald on passing downs) are proving to be visible (if not game-changing) liabilities, or get outright injured.

If either of those things comes to pass, the leverage tilts back Reddick's way. 

Lets hope that does not happen.

Shame on you @Sperm Edwardsfor even speaking those words.

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I would think he would have to be in the building by the start of next week to have any chance of playing in week 1, and even that may be too late. 

I’m trying to find the info, but not having much luck. NFL vested veterans have their annual salary fully guaranteed if they’re on the opening day roster. This is the reason that some teams sign veterans after week one, to avoid that guarantee. What I’m not sure about is whether a player on the DNR list week one has his salary guaranteed for the year or not. My guess would be that he wouldn’t, considering he won’t be getting paid that day if he hasn’t reported. 

Just seems like another way he’s shooting himself in the foot. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, slats said:

I’m trying to find the info, but not having much luck. NFL vested veterans have their annual salary fully guaranteed if they’re on the opening day roster. This is the reason that some teams sign veterans after week one, to avoid that guarantee. What I’m not sure about is whether a player on the DNR list week one has his salary guaranteed for the year or not. My guess would be that he wouldn’t, considering he won’t be getting paid that day if he hasn’t reported. 

@slats If I'm not mistaken, once a player is put on the DNR (did not report) list his salary does not count against the teams salary cap.

NFL training camp roster FAQs: Defining injured reserve, PUP list, NFI and more

Reserve/Did Not Report (left team): Players who have left their team or stopped playing NFL football but have yet to submit retirement papers. This player does not count against a team's roster limit or its salary cap.

Since he doesn't count against the roster limit, I would equate that to the player NOT being on the roster, as such I think that would preclude his salary from becoming fully guaranteed, as a vested veteran.

Also, there's no chance of being paid, if you don't count against the team's salary cap, which further reinforces that his salary wouldn't become guaranteed, unless he reports before opening day.

But hey, I could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm pretty sure absolutely nothing I say (or don't say) has any effect on any player's health, how well he plays, his dreams, who he's stuffing, his favorite color, etc. 

Carrying an umbrella in your bag is rooting for rain, man.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, EM31 said:

At some point this becomes less and less about Hassan Reddick and the 2024/2025 season more about whether or not there is a perception that the Jets front office will roll over to players and their agents who might think about making unreasonable demands.  Roll over once and you invite others to think that you will do the same.

Up until now the Jets have been in the mode of keeping quiet, hoping Reddick comes to his senses and making sure that the coaching staff are ready to give him a crash course in getting up to playing speed when he finally does.  Unfortunately that grin-and-bear-it period is now almost over and no matter what Reddick does it will impact the NY Jets ability to put the best product on the field in games that count in the standings.  Maybe we don't lose games because of the holdout but then again maybe we do.

At this point it is about "getting medieval on his a$$" to grab a line from Pulp Fiction.  We have lots of significant contracts to negotiate in the next few years and we simply cannot allow behavior in this one to bleed over into those other (more important) ones.

I think they were considering that greater point weeks (if not months) ago. 

Without knowing what's in Reddick's head, so I guess anything's possible, I'd have to think at worst he shows up for the last 10 games just so he doesn't repeat this contract year again in 2025. In such a circumstance he should be unlikely to dog it in those 10 games, right before hitting free agency at age 30 or that'll cost him still more. What's he going to say, "Yeah I wasn't really trying with them because I was angry -- but pay me $26MM/year and fully guarantee a couple years of it in advance, no matter how well or poorly I play, and I won't dog it with you guys. You have my word." (lol)

He'll make a lot less than he would have, by showing up late, but that was the gamble he took. Also to be fair to him, we'll never know if he makes it through this 10 game season (if that's what happens) but would've torn an ACL in week 3. since those injuries are never predictable. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

Someone (forget who it was -- maybe @Lith?) mentioned that for a veteran like Reddick, if he gets injured in team activities then his contract is guaranteed for that year. I think that's correct.

Where injury guarantees come into play is if (holdout scenario aside) say Reddick had one more year under contract after this, and tears an ACL in camp. If he has no injury guarantee, then they cut him after this year; if he has one, then they can't (or anyway, if they do they still have to pay him). But either way, even if this year has no guarantees, so long as he's injured while doing team activities, the Jets can't get out of paying him just because he gets hurt. So it would seem that's why that stuff usually is usually a thing in March or April, not August.

It would also mean his fake rage over this year not being fully guaranteed is a bunch of horse***t.

• Upvote 1

Have to assume Douglas is trying to throw some sort of ‘bone’ to Reddick and his agent that allows them to ‘save face.’ It’s not going to end by Douglas drawing a ‘take it or leave it’ line in the sand.    Reddick: “Ok..you win..I’ll accept your terms.”   Pride is often an obstacle for rational decision-making.

7 minutes ago, Greg555 said:

Have to assume Douglas is trying to throw some sort of ‘bone’ to Reddick and his agent that allows them to ‘save face.’ It’s not going to end by Douglas drawing a ‘take it or leave it’ line in the sand.    Reddick: “Ok..you win..I’ll accept your terms.”   Pride is often an obstacle for rational decision-making.

I don't see Reddick making any rational decisions at this point 

• Upvote 2

On 8/21/2024 at 11:32 AM, kmnj said:

probably cause woody is tired of JD throwing away his money

CJ 20 million

Lazzard 44 million

Joe D fanboys refuse to admit he has signed some terrible contracts but then again they refuse to admit he is almost 40 games under 500 for this record as well

Falls on the coaching staff

• WTF? 1

So, with cutdowns coming next week and Reddick's 14 million not guaranteed, is there a chance JD is now waiting to see who gets released with the thought of MAYBE releasing Reddick before the start of the season? There may be a significantly cheaper alternative available...granted just maybe not the same level. Use the cap space for an extension on one of our guys or for something else.

Just thinking out loud.

2 hours ago, slats said:

Correct - he's not on the roster, his salary doesn't count against the cap. So it won't be guaranteed after week 1 unless he's reported by August 26 (5 days before the Sunday prior to the start of the regular season) - if he doesn't report by then, the team can place him on the exempt list even if he shows up between then and week 1.

44 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Someone (forget who it was -- maybe @Lith?) mentioned that for a veteran like Reddick, if he gets injured in team activities then his contract is guaranteed for that year. I think that's correct.

Where injury guarantees come into play is if (holdout scenario aside) say Reddick had one more year under contract after this, and tears an ACL in camp. If he has no injury guarantee, then they cut him after this year; if he has one, then they can't (or anyway, if they do they still have to pay him). But either way, even if this year has no guarantees, so long as he's injured while doing team activities, the Jets can't get out of paying him just because he gets hurt. So it would seem that's why that stuff usually is usually a thing in March or April, not August.

It would also mean his fake rage over this year not being fully guaranteed is a bunch of horse***t.

That was me, and yes, it's bullsh*t

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

So, with cutdowns coming next week and Reddick's 14 million not guaranteed, is there a chance JD is now waiting to see who gets released with the thought of MAYBE releasing Reddick before the start of the season? There may be a significantly cheaper alternative available...granted just maybe not the same level. Use the cap space for an extension on one of our guys or for something else.

Just thinking out loud.

Nah. JD  knows he has Reddick over a barrel. Wait him out. He’ll be here soon enough. Once he’s on board we will have the fiercest front 7 in the NFL. Take no prisoners.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Frankie Green said:

I am liking this years Saleh much better than previous years 

Great answer from Saleh. Out of sight out of mind. Can’t miss what you never had. Jets should not budge. If Reddick ever does show up and play, Jets may end up saving money on the cap I think since he would sacrificing game checks during the regular season.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barkus said:

Great answer from Saleh. Out of sight out of mind. Can’t miss what you never had. Jets should not budge. If Reddick ever does show up and play, Jets may end up saving money on the cap I think since he would sacrificing game checks during the regular season.

That extra cap $ could come in handy come the trade deadline, for a little WR depth 😉 

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think they were considering that greater point weeks (if not months) ago. 

Without knowing what's in Reddick's head, so I guess anything's possible, I'd have to think at worst he shows up for the last 10 games just so he doesn't repeat this contract year again in 2025. In such a circumstance he should be unlikely to dog it in those 10 games, right before hitting free agency at age 30 or that'll cost him still more. What's he going to say, "Yeah I wasn't really trying with them because I was angry -- but pay me $26MM/year and fully guarantee a couple years of it in advance, no matter how well or poorly I play, and I won't dog it with you guys. You have my word." (lol)

He'll make a lot less than he would have, by showing up late, but that was the gamble he took. Also to be fair to him, we'll never know if he makes it through this 10 game season (if that's what happens) but would've torn an ACL in week 3. since those injuries are never predictable. 

+1

In addition to all of that, any buyer who may remain in the market after whatever it is that this ends up becoming is going to be left with the question as to whether or not Reddick will even honor his new deal if he feels that the market has moved once again.  This is year 3 of a three year deal after all and apparently he feels that 15M is less that the new premium market rate of 25M-26M.  Not sure how that is any different from "heads I win tails you lose" for the team

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

Just thinking out loud.

0% chance

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

Dude's under contract and they don't have to pay him if he doesn't show up so why do that?  That would render him a free agent, which is exactly what he wants.  Why would you give up all your leverage by cutting him?

Here's why BH - my fear is he doesn't want to play here and he's gonna show up for week 1, get his contract guaranteed, and then get "injured" and try to dog it the rest of the season.  We're then on the hook for the 14 million this season and get squat for it.

Just cut our losses. Out of spite, JD should hold onto him the day before our first game. No one is signing him for anywhere near 14 million at that point AND since we play Monday night, whatever he signs for this year won't be guaranteed because he wouldn't be on any other teams roster week 1.

Now that's leverage. I would threaten him with that (if JD hasn't already) and see if he blinks.

Just now, CTJetsFan said:

Here's why BH - my fear is he doesn't want to play here and he's gonna show up for week 1, get his contract guaranteed, and then get "injured" and try to dog it the rest of the season.  We're then on the hook for the 14 million this season and get squat for it.

Just cut our losses. Out of spite, JD should hold onto him the day before our first game. No one is signing him for anywhere near 14 million at that point AND since we play Monday night, whatever he signs for this year won't be guaranteed because he wouldn't be on any other teams roster week 1.

Now that's leverage. I would threaten him with that (if JD hasn't already) and see if he blinks.

1) That doesn't work; if he shows up right before week 1, he goes on the exempt list.

2) If he dogs it all year he hits FA as a 31 year old coming off a down season.

3) "We'll cut you and let you sign a long term deal with another team at market rates" isn't leverage. That's "don't threaten me with a good time" stuff

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

1) That doesn't work; if he shows up right before week 1, he goes on the exempt list.

2) If he dogs it all year he hits FA as a 31 year old coming off a down season.

3) "We'll cut you and let you sign a long term deal with another team at market rates" isn't leverage. That's "don't threaten me with a good time" stuff

Point 1 - meaning what? Is his salary guaranteed by going on the exempt list?

Point 3 - Who gives a crap what he gets elsewhere. Let him be their headache. If we can replace 75% of his production with someone off the waiver wire (after cutdowns) who is younger for less than half of $14,000,000, that's a win.

12 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Jets can also fail his physical not allowing him to be on the opening day roster. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1