Fangio 😬: Doesn’t look 👀 like Bryce Huff can play all 3 downs

2 minutes ago, kmnj said:

he was a guy just learning the pro game-I would argue he will continue to get better and can be a disruptive force-I was sad to see him go -who do you trust more the eagles or the jets? the eagles got rid of riddick for huff-I sadly feel the eagles know better vs the jets especially  considering their roster is way better than ours ....

And I would argue that Huff shot his wad in a contract year and that's about the best you will ever see of him as far as sack totals.

As far as whether trusting the Eagles or the Jets and the Eagles having a way better roster than us, that's pretty funny. They have Mechi Becton on their roster FFS. They absolutely collapsed last year after being 10-1 and then got throttled in the wild card game. Hurts is grossly overpaid and their backup last year was Marcus Mariotta who they've now replaced with Kenny Pickett. Come on.

9 minutes ago, kmnj said:

and give up a third for him...

folks say it was only a third but then sing joes praises if he picks up a 4th or a 6th round pick in a deal.....

A third in 2026 which they will get back when Reddick leaves.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We're 2 days into camp and some folks are already taking victory laps about Huff?  When our guy is a holdout?  Lol, this site some days.

In 4 years with the NYJ, Huff was only playing ~35% of the snaps.  His wanting to have a larger role, given his solid enough production, was natural.  I think it's safe to project he'll get more snaps with the Eagles than he would have with us.  Will it be 75%?  Probably not, but I doubt it'll be 20% (like it was here in 2022) either.

I think the big question is, how will he perform with those extra snaps? That is literally a multi-million dollar question.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

If Hassan Reddick can play the run - he’s much smaller player than Huff.    Huff should be able to play the run.   It’s all about technique , and getting yourself stronger, and the mindset to want to stop the run.  The Raiders Malcolm Koonce it took time for him to develop his skills to stop the run.  If Huff wants to be a full time player , he’s going to have to get better defending the run.  Simple as that .

Some players like Yannick Ngakoue all they care about rushing the passer , and care little about playing the run.     You are going to bounce around multiple teams if that’s the case.

Tackling is also about recognition, technique, positioning, instincts etc.  Playing the run also means not selling out on every play to go straight after the QB.  Just because Reddick can play the run doesn’t mean Huff can.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

huff was a VERY productive player for us -10 sacks is not a number our defense has seen often this past decade -I dont care what % he played-there are LOTS of players that played way more snaps that were far less productive-I am confident if he played for the jets this year he was going to get 12-15 sacks

the beauty is there is no guessing game we will see how both players perform (if Joes guy ever shows up )

Start with Quinnen had 12 sacks one season earlier. 
One 10 sack season after seasons of 2, 2 & 3.5 and being a liability vs the run hardly screams top EDGE dollars because because a couple of fans think playing the run can be taught.  No one knows for sure

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

One 10 sack season after seasons of 2, 2 & 3.5 and being a liability vs the run hardly screams top EDGE dollars because because a couple of fans think playing the run can be taught.  No one knows for sure

I love logical posts - makes me warm and fuzzy

• Upvote 2

It may be that Huff is successful at rushing the passer and not at stopping the run because that's his focus on every play.  It's possible that in order to be more effective against the run, it will negatively impact his success as a rusher.  We'll find out at some point this season if he can do both successfully.  I am intrigued that his coach would say that part out loud.  Maybe an attempt to motivate him, but even that is telling.

He's a great pass rusher, but if he's one-dimensional then he's probably overpaid.  I'd have loved to see him stay and grow here, but if we get Reddick into camp, I think we get the better of the swap in terms of pure talent and ability to help the team win.  At least for now.

• Upvote 2

i think what some people are missing is that macdonald is right there ready to take the position.  sure reddick gives them more flexibility since he's more of an every down player but if we're simply talking about replacing huff then it's a little easier.

This isn’t a surprise to anyone who has been paying attention. Saleh basically has been telling us this using euphemisms for several years now. 

that doesn’t mean he won’t improve, but this was a known issue and really at the heart of why he’s no longer a Jet 

4 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Not every day you have a DC come out in a press conference and tell the media that their high priced FA signing, isnt good to play every down.  Reddick, in this scenario, is meaningless to the conversation.  The Jets didnt want Huff because he was a liability vs. the run but didnt want to rotate and his new team, who paid him big $$$ is literally confirming why the Jets didnt resign him.

My man!

eye-of-Providence.jpg

5 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

"I think everybody thought he could"

That said, it sounds like he's talking about technique against the run, rather than skill, and that'll come with reps and coaching that he was just not getting here since they just wanted him as a passrusher here

How old is he? He wasn’t taught technique by Ulbrich ?

9 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Not every day you have a DC come out in a press conference and tell the media that their high priced FA signing, isnt good to play every down.  

Isn’t that effectively what Saled said about McDonald at the end of last year?

Reddick, in this scenario, is meaningless to the conversation.  

Lol no.

The Jets didnt want Huff because he was a liability vs. the run but didnt want to rotate and his new team, who paid him big $$$ is literally confirming why the Jets didnt resign him.

On day 2 on practice while also saying he’ll be ready in time.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

yes and then who.... what year do you have to go back to ? which is why I said it is pretty rare (and I was right)

I think he was a player on the rise and was a disruptive force

I would rather have Huff who is younger vs Riddick and so would the Eagles 

2023 -nobody but huff at 10 sacks

2022? Q had 12

2021?  6 was highest

2020?  7 was highest

2019?   8 was highest

2018?  7 was highest

2017    5 was highest

2016   7 was highest

2015  mo had 12

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Yes, but Saleh was referring to a player at the end of his rookie year, not the team’s big FA signing. Big difference. You usually don’t sign a high-priced FA to develop him. 

compare McDonald’s rookie year to Huff’s rookie year. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Not every day you have a DC come out in a press conference and tell the media that their high priced FA signing, isnt good to play every down.  Reddick, in this scenario, is meaningless to the conversation.  The Jets didnt want Huff because he was a liability vs. the run but didnt want to rotate and his new team, who paid him big $$$ is literally confirming why the Jets didnt resign him.

You would have to believe that they are trying to motivate Huff through the media in some small manner here. Otherwise, why come out to the press so openly about a player? Unusual tactic, especially this early. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tooooon said:

I get why everyone is down on Saleh in general, but his work with the DL has been exceptional.  If Huff could play all 3 down he would have played all 3 downs. Fight me. 

This board wanted ulbrich fired a season and a half ago.  Saleh will go 13-4 this year, get a monster extension and be our coach for the next decade plus.

Accept it jet fans!!!!!!!!!!

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

This board wanted ulbrich fired a season and a half ago.  Saleh will go 13-4 this year, get a monster extension and be our coach for the next decade plus.

Accept it jet fans!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck on your continued campaign for the position. Most people will try to run on their record, but I don't suggest you do that. What I would like to hear from you, in order to get my vote is "What were you thinking when you resigned, and why should we trust you now?". 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

What a waste of money to pay bryce huff.  Remember last year down the stretch when we needed to win games?  

The last 4 games of the season, how many sacks did bryce huff get?  ill hang up and listen.

He had 3 sacks in the last 4 games & 5 QB Hits.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Lol no.

On day 2 on practice while also saying he’ll be ready in time.

Another false equivalence, McDonald has nothing to do w/ this as you're comparing a rookie in his first camp vs. a veteran who was just signed to a big free agent contract.

And he didnt say he'd be ready in time.  Did you listened to the clip?  lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

• We are wasting our time talking about Huff.  JD was already cooked by drafted WMcD.  He could not justify handing out a multiyear contract. 
  • Huff got more than Reddick is currently paid, but Reddick wants more, THIS SEASON.
  • For this season, Reddick was a steal-better, all around player for cheaper.  He did not appreciate that Reddick would not play for this current salary.
  • From what I heard on PLAJ, Reddick was also particularly perturbed when the Jets traded JFM, as that signaled to them that Reddick would be playing more.  I don't know if that is true.  
  • But ultimately it is a bad look to give Huff a big long term contact after investing first round picks in JJ2 and WMcD.  That does not mean that paying Huff was not the right thing-just that it would make JD look bad if they did.  
  • WTF? 1

12 hours ago, kmnj said:

yes and then who.... what year do you have to go back to ? which is why I said it is pretty rare (and I was right)

I think he was a player on the rise and was a disruptive force

I would rather have Huff who is younger vs Riddick and so would the Eagles 

2023 -nobody but huff at 10 sacks

2022? Q had 12

2021?  6 was highest

2020?  7 was highest

2019?   8 was highest

2018?  7 was highest

2017    5 was highest

2016   7 was highest

2015  mo had 12

You asked.