Replacing the chains with tech

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-moving-closer-to-replacing-chain-gang-with-new-technology-to-measure-line-to-gain

NFL moving closer to replacing chain gang with new technology to measure line to gain

Published: Jul 31, 2024 at 11:25 AM

logo_author_2020_logo_AP_png

The NFL is moving closer to replacing the chain gang with new technology to measure line to gain.

NFL executive Gary Brantley told The Associated Press the league will test Sony's Hawk-Eye technology during some preseason games. The system most likely wouldn't be ready for full implementation until next season, though it could happen sooner.

"We're in the installation phase for all of our stadiums, really getting them calibrated and up to date," said Brantley, the NFL's senior vice president and chief information officer. "We're just really getting to a place where this system is as accurate as possible and really calibrating across our multiple stadiums. ... We have multiple stadiums with multiple dimensions inside of those stadiums with different age. So we're really just going through the installation of putting in the infrastructure and making sure these cameras are installed."

Sony, which was named the NFL's official technology partner on Wednesday, has expanded its sports technology through Hawk-Eye Innovations to support officiating and the development of on-field and sideline technologies, including a new coach's sideline headset that will debut in 2025.

Its Hawk-Eye tracking services for line-to-gain measurement adds cameras to stadiums to track players, officials and the ball. The optimal tracking system notifies officials instantly if a first down was gained after the ball is spotted by hand.

"We're reducing a significant amount of time, 40 seconds for each time of use that basically is making the game that much more impactful," said Neal Manowitz, Sony president and chief operations officer. "And then also the system is accurate down to less than half an inch, which is incredibly, incredibly accurate. Hopefully the fans appreciate the objective view, or at least half the fans each play will be appreciating it."

The NFL has long used two bright orange sticks and a chain to measure for first downs. That method would remain in a backup capacity.

Beyond new technology for line-to-gain measurement and new headsets for coaches' communication, Sony is partnering with the NFL to enhance sideline photography, broadcast cameras and production, and more.

"The NFL has incredibly high standards and really what we're talking about in this relationship is together, at the highest level, how do we change the future of sports," Manowitz said. "How we change line to gain is a great example, and that's where. ... we get the creators of the game, all of the people of the ops team, the coaches, the players, how do we get that community as close as possible to our engineers, and how do we bring them and then ultimately provide a much better experience for fans."

I bet this will come with some additional features for refs, to know in advanced where to place the ball, in order to get/not get a first down. I’m picturing some sort of an in helmet sound gadget, like when using a metal detector. 

“Will the cheats get a first down?”

Ref starts placing the ball, and only releases when it is just enough.

”Wow, they got it by half an inch!”

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

What’s the problem we are solving with this? The issue is refs can’t spot balls, chains don’t flex 

Do you guys not remember the 8 yard first down the Patriots got against the Jets a few years back? Will try to find the video.

Not sure why there would be resistance to this. You guys still carry beepers, don't you?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Do you guys not remember the 8 yard first down the Patriots got against the Jets a few years back? Will try to find the video.

Not sure why there would be resistance to this. You guys still carry beepers, don't you?

Because it doesn’t actually solve a problem and it removes a tension building moment from the game

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The chains are a part of the show, with the added visual suspense to “did he make it?” At the same time, the officials suck and it’d not only save time doing the chains thing.

It doesn’t sound like this helps them spot the ball, but more immediate feedback if it’s a first down or not after it’s spotted. 

I agree. I could see the league not wanting to lose the anticipation of the moment when the ref pulls the chain tight, but ultimately this would be a time saver and keep the game moving. The tech probably isn’t much different than the first down line we get on TV. There will still be challenges to where the ref put the ball in the first place, though, of course. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Because it doesn’t actually solve a problem and it removes a tension building moment from the game

Tension building moment? Lol. I just want the correct call 100% of the time and I want it done as quickly as possible. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

I agree. I could see the league not wanting to lose the anticipation of the moment when the ref pulls the chain tight, but ultimately this would be a time saver and keep the game moving. The tech probably isn’t much different than the first down line we get on TV. There will still be challenges to where the ref put the ball in the first place, though, of course. 

Also, it's 2024. Chains are unacceptable for their connotation.

• Haha 3

The chains are a part of the show, with the added visual suspense to “did he make it?” At the same time, the officials suck and it’d not only save time doing the chains thing.
It doesn’t sound like this helps them spot the ball, but more immediate feedback if it’s a first down or not after it’s spotted. 
Agreed .. this has nothing to do with accuracy .. the official can still spot the ball wherever they see fit.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This. I'd hate to lose this part of the game....

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

There are plenty of tension filled moments, I’ll take accuracy and the time savings over the tradition in this case.

What accuracy? The system doesn't SPOT the ball, and isn't any more accurate than a calibrated chain. It is quicker, but if the ball spotting is inaccurate, then the electronic system is just as inaccurate as the chain gang.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Balls and Stikes, and Ball Placement, should both be done by tech at this point.

Get it right.  That's what matters.

How do you do ball placement by tech? Are you going to X-ray a pile of bodies to determine exactly where the ball was when the knee hit the ground?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, viffer said:

What accuracy? The system doesn't SPOT the ball, and isn't any more accurate than a calibrated chain. It is quicker, but if the ball spotting is inaccurate, then the electronic system is just as inaccurate as the chain gang.

Spots are challengable

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, slats said:

I think this is the right way to look at it.

The chain measure doesn't seem to be used as often as it used to and it feels like the actual ball placement is the more exciting part anyway (especially with challenges)

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

For a long time I've wondered how inaccurate the refs' spotting of the ball was.  There's obviously no way to tell and I highly doubt tech can even figure it out (though I'm sure it can help).  I wonder how many games have been decided by these types of decisions.  One bad spot can be the difference between a 1st down vs a punt, for example.  Football has to be the most difficult sport (by far!) to ref.

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

I don't remember it.  Please post it if you find it.  I know there was an example of a team that got a 5th down.  And I know there was a huge push for replay after Vinny and the Jets got a terrible call go in our favor against the Seahawks in 1998 (IIRC).

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't remember it.  Please post it if you find it.  I know there was an example of a team that got a 5th down.  And I know there was a huge push for replay after Vinny and the Jets got a terrible call go in our favor against the Seahawks in 1998 (IIRC).

Vinney's helmet crossed the goal line, but not the ball. I was at that game!

1 hour ago, viffer said:

Fair, I'll take the time savings then.