Joe wastes lots of money on "weapons"

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Dude! He forfeited the entire draft for him. Little different than just drafting him!  

And? He bet big and lost. If you think Ditka is an idiot then disregard that quote. But Buddha and Sparky's quote are valid unless they had a hand in the Ricky draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This -- it's easy to gauge in a vacuum without noting the other FA WR options at the time.

More than a couple fans here were spiking the ball at signing Perriman instead of extending the WR formerly known as Robbie Anderson, who had a career-year the next season with Carolina (before they stupidly guaranteed him much more with another ill-fated, big pay raise).

• The only other WR on the FA market that offseason was 30 year-old Randall Cobb at $9MM/year who fell short of 500 yards even with a pre-suspension Watson averaging >300/ yards per week in the air.
  • Every other WR available in FA was of the WR4-WR6 variety (if even that), and the Jets at that moment needed an immediate starter (who didn't exclusively line up in the slot) to replace Robbie.

Corey Davis of course didn't pan out as hoped, but

• the WR jewel of FA that year was $19MM/year Kenny Golladay.
  • Best of the rest were Curtis Samuel, Nelson Agholor, TY Hilton wrapping up his career, Kendrick Bourne, Marvin Jones (ok for another year, but was a very temporary bandaid), Keelan Cole (Jets signed him), Sammy Watkins, and dozens of other WRs nobody wishes the Jets had signed.
  • It's not as though he chose to sign Corey Davis instead of Mike Evans.

Lazard was likewise a big fish in a relatively small pond. An absolutely awful signing - far worse than even pessimistic people figured - but there weren't scores of better options.

• OBJ was a far bigger waste (on an annualized basis) at one year with a guaranteed minimum $15MM.
  • JJSS was no better of a signing (a couple million difference, but that's no longer a significant delta on a $250MM cap) after getting carried by Mahomes the prior season. He was great as a rookie back in 2018.
  • Hopkins would've clearly been a better signing, but he more or less stated publicly he didn't want to sign with the Jets even after they finished trading for Rodgers (and wasn't he asked which QBs he wanted to play for and he basically listed every name-QB except Rodgers?).
  • Jakobi Meyers would've been better as well, but note that's also largely measuring his WR2 stats without Zach Wilson (and then Boyle and Siemien). Also it's debatable he had any interest in signing with the Jets after New England, and as of the time he signed in Vegas they hadn't agreed on a trade for Rodgers (the QB1 was still nominally Zach).
  • Thielen was turning 33 and past visibly his prime and here he wasn't going to see the 137 targets required for him to hit 1000 yards. He was seen as a very temporary bandaid starter, not a guy you'd hopefully sign and start for 3-4 seasons.
  • In his 30s already, Robert Woods quickly degraded to a WR4 (really was Houston's #5 downfield target when including Schultz, on a per-game basis), for only a few million less than Lazard. 

That's not to say these were good signings - they weren't - but they all seem far worse without any context aside from the benefits of hindsight.

Wide Receivers of the NFL are the Relief Pitchers ofMLB.  They are mercenaries that after their initial contract bounce around the league from club to club without having real consistency of performance. One year great. The next soft and injured. Flip a coin on them by and large. Everyone needs them, no one ever knows what they are buying. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

You do realize that a team that has as extensive a losing record as the Jets would naturally create frustration and at some times I admit it gets a little bit much.  Like last year, everyone was pretty excited pre season and then AR8 go's down after 4 plays and even our Miserable Nation Captain quit after 4 plays. So you acting like 13-4 is a foregone conclusion is nothing less than Trolling. Then using it as an excuse to call Jet fans Jets fans are the bestd is absolutely trolling. Look at your sig you clown, but yeah your not trolling Jet fans. So keep it up. 

Thank you. Seriously

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Of course I own my words.

These?  These below are YOUR words, not mine:

I didn't say either of those things, hence I don't feel any need to address them.

That shoulda been pretty clear to you.

“Thats about it.”

In most peoples minds that are English speaking, that would equate to “nothing else”.  

Maybe in your native tongue it means something different?

21 minutes ago, Claymation said:

And? He bet big and lost. If you think Ditka is an idiot then disregard that quote. But Buddha and Sparky's quote are valid unless they had a hand in the Ricky draft.

Love Ditka, I apologize. Not an idiot but that was certainly idiotic. 

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This -- it's easy to gauge in a vacuum without noting the other FA WR options at the time.

More than a couple fans here were spiking the ball at signing Perriman instead of extending the WR formerly known as Robbie Anderson, who had a career-year the next season with Carolina (before they stupidly guaranteed him much more with another ill-fated, big pay raise).

• The only other WR on the FA market that offseason was 30 year-old Randall Cobb at $9MM/year who fell short of 500 yards even with a pre-suspension Watson averaging >300/ yards per week in the air.
  • Every other WR available in FA was of the WR4-WR6 variety (if even that), and the Jets at that moment needed an immediate starter (who didn't exclusively line up in the slot) to replace Robbie.

Corey Davis of course didn't pan out as hoped, but

• the WR jewel of FA that year was $19MM/year Kenny Golladay.
  • Best of the rest were Curtis Samuel, Nelson Agholor, TY Hilton wrapping up his career, Kendrick Bourne, Marvin Jones (ok for another year, but was a very temporary bandaid), Keelan Cole (Jets signed him), Sammy Watkins, and dozens of other WRs nobody wishes the Jets had signed.
  • It's not as though he chose to sign Corey Davis instead of Mike Evans.

Lazard was likewise a big fish in a relatively small pond. An absolutely awful signing - far worse than even pessimistic people figured - but there weren't scores of better options.

• OBJ was a far bigger waste (on an annualized basis) at one year with a guaranteed minimum $15MM.
  • JJSS was no better of a signing (a couple million difference, but that's no longer a significant delta on a $250MM cap) after getting carried by Mahomes the prior season. He was great as a rookie back in 2018.
  • Hopkins would've clearly been a better signing, but he more or less stated publicly he didn't want to sign with the Jets even after they finished trading for Rodgers (and wasn't he asked which QBs he wanted to play for and he basically listed every name-QB except Rodgers?).
  • Jakobi Meyers would've been better as well, but note that's also largely measuring his WR2 stats without Zach Wilson (and then Boyle and Siemien). Also it's debatable he had any interest in signing with the Jets after New England, and as of the time he signed in Vegas they hadn't agreed on a trade for Rodgers (the QB1 was still nominally Zach).
  • Thielen was turning 33 and past visibly his prime and here he wasn't going to see the 137 targets required for him to hit 1000 yards. He was seen as a very temporary bandaid starter, not a guy you'd hopefully sign and start for 3-4 seasons.
  • In his 30s already, Robert Woods quickly degraded to a WR4 (really was Houston's #5 downfield target when including Schultz, on a per-game basis), for only a few million less than Lazard. 

That's not to say these were good signings - they weren't - but they all seem far worse without any context aside from the benefits of hindsight.

This is a lot of words for August 20th.  I'll bookmark it and read it in a few weeks. 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Looking at the likes on my posts vs Crushes, looks like Crushy got crushed.

Time to listen to the people and instead of calling great posters clowns, go and clean up the mess thats going on here.

Likes? What are you 11? LOL Also. It's The Crushy! Pal!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

“Thats about it.”

In most peoples minds that are English speaking, that would equate to “nothing else”.  

Maybe in your native tongue it means something different?

In terms of his reputation as a GM, yes, that about it.

"His reputation" =/= the overall state of the roster today as seen by fans and the projection of greatness you guys have for it, nor the replacement level stater guys or yet-to-prove-themselves drafted guys as of now.  MCII and QW aren't stars in anyone minds but the Homer Jets Fans, most fans int his league have barely heard of them, if that.  You guys hyperinflate our players greatness to a laughable degree on even the most JAG/fringe guys.

Reputation = the big, great, meaningful, star, all-pro GM moves he's made that worked out well.  Known league wide, and by non-Jets Fans.  Like Wilson, Sauce and Hall.  Those names people outside the Jets Fan bubble know.  MCII?  Lol, ok.

And reputation is not things that Jets Fans think will work out, but have actually worked out.  Proven, not projected by the perennial optimists.

Reputations are made on winning, first and foremost, and then on great moves and studs, stars, huge wins in personnel moves.  HOF'ers, all-pros, studs.  Not drafting a decent #3 depth corner like MCII in the 5th.

Hence why Rodgers isn't on the list as I posted it.  If Rodgers wins a title in 2024, that trade goes on this list.  Today, 4 plays, 50 million in cost and a suck season, no it doesn't go on the list.

Is this really that hard to suss out for all of you?

You guys are convinced we've already won the Super Bowl in 2024, and are crediting JD for it already.

Reality is, we're good on paper only as of now, with a long list of poor moves over the six years of JD's tenure longer than the successful moves as of now. moves so many of you seem to forget or block out of your minds as if they never happened, lol.   

If 2024 changes that, I'll change my opinion on JD.  Not before.

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

JD’s resume as of today is two trades, and three draft picks, Sauce, Wilson and Hall. That’s about it.

I hope your reference to "Wilson" is not Zach Wilson...

Oddly enough, the Jets have a loaded roster on defense and what looks like a top tier offensive roster.  Provided that Aaron Rodgers does not go down, Tyron Smith does not go down, Mike Williams does not go down, AVT does not go down... 

Poor thread IMO.

For starters we ignored weapons for so long prior to JD that he needed to fill out whole position groups bc they had 0 talent there. Which in turn could have something to do with why we have no franchise QB that we drafted. Because we repeatedly didn't give our drafted QBs weapons.

At least JD was smart enough to recognize that and know he needed to try and fix it.

To piggy back off of that. How many of these weapons that we did get would have been better if we had good QB play. Now yes JD did draft Zack and him here for 3 years is a big reason why some of these weapons didn't pan out. But Zack wasn't supposed to play last year let's remember. AR next to never gets injured so JD had a good reason to think he'd be healthy. Now should he had gotten a better backup? 100%. But that's in hindsight. Go look at ARs career and see what the odds were that Rodgers would miss the year. Very low.

As others have mentioned.... Corey Davis and Allen Lazard were the best FA WRs in there offseason's. Davis had bad luck with injuries with us and Lazard it's 100% valid to judge him pretty much mailing it in once AR went down. But I expect him to be better this year with AR healthy.

Hardman was always head scratching given when we signed him we still had Moore. In hindsight we should've made thigs better with Moore in some kind of way. I think adding AR would've made things better with him. But he was traded before we got AR. But Moore had already rubbed the coaches and FO wrong. So the move made sense at the time. Saleh and Hackett not playing Hardman isn't on JD. He can build a roster. But he can't force the coaches to play guys. IMO JD and Saleh in general are always on the same page. But the Hardman/Moore situation seems to be a situation they weren't. To go a bit off topic as well... I don't think JD wanted to draft Wilson. He was kind of forced to. So I don't totally blame him for that failure.

Regarding Mims... IMO we should've drafted lamb or Wirfs there. I never wanted Becton. And think of how much that could've gone a different way for us. Both not hypotheticals bc they were right there ranked higher than Becton by a lot. If we drafted Lamb, we wouldn't have drafted Mims. Now all that is hypothetical. But he did mess up on the Becton and Mims picks. A lot of good GMs miss on high picks. This overall was a very bad draft for JD. No one questions that. To defend JD Mims never had injuries for starters or work ethic issues reported like he seemed to have once here. Assuming we win this year... This draft in hindsight might be a blessing for us. That JD after this class and his top 2 guys having work ethic issues, probably has him diving deeper into this with draft picks now.

Now let's talk about the positives bc you left all of that out of your rant.

We have arguably the best RB in the NFL that he traded up to go get. That's huge. And I know it's premature. But I feel Allen is a steal where we got him. I made a thread pre draft on how much I liked him. So I'm ecstatic he's a Jet. So we have depth as well there.

At WR we drafted a top 10 WR in GW and IMO leaps to top 5 or so with a healthy Rodgers this year. We drafted Corley who is an unknown and I think gets eased in. But he has difference maker ability once the game slows down for him and he can just play like he knows to do.

And we IMO got a steal with Mike Williams as a FA. He looks to be healthy for Week 1. He's been practicing now for over a week and has 0 limitations starting Monday (which I think he's good to go now, they just don't want to risk him this week against the NYG). Given him 2 weeks to get on the same page as AR even more.

Gipson for an UDFA is a good pick. Ideally Corley overtakes him. But to have an UDFA that can help is great. I expect him to get work early this year though and could be good for us in ST.

Where I will agree with you... is we haven't done much in the TE room. Conklin is average. Uzo was a failure. A lor of that due to that we needed him to help block more than anything. Ruckert hasn't done anything yet. I was team Bowers or WR this year in the 1st. Was not at all mad about going to Fashanu route... but I think if we had Bowers on this team we'd be pretty dangerous.

I also think you can't leave out what he's done on the OL.

We got a HOF LT that still plays at a pro bowl level. An above average vet RT in Moses with protection with drafting Olu.

Drafted AVT and Tippman high.

And signed an underrated Simpson who I do think stays long term with us. I see 4 pieces of this OL staying here for a decent time in AVT, Simpson, Tippman, Olu.

I also want to add how he drafted a QB that arguably would've been in the Heisman race is he didn't break his leg. To groom learning under a HOF QB for 2 years and another savvy vet in Taylor. Allowing him time to 100% heal and learn. Setting us up beautifully likely to have a smart QB ready to take over in 2026. Allowing us to spend draft picks these next 2 drafts not on QB high. To continue to add weapons high in the draft.

Go look at the roster he came into and see what we have now. And how some of you can think he's bad is laughable.

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Oddly enough, the Jets have a loaded roster on defense and what looks like a top tier offensive roster.  Provided that Aaron Rodgers does not go down, Tyron Smith does not go down, Mike Williams does not go down, AVT does not go down... 

Lol, G. Wilson.

18 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Oddly enough, the Jets have a loaded roster on defense and what looks like a top tier offensive roster.  

"top tier" is probably stretching it. I think we need to confirm that Mike Williams looks like his old self to have that conversation, and even then,  we have to see these guys stay healthy and we have to see exactly what Rodgers has left. 

59 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In terms of his reputation as a GM, yes, that about it.

"His reputation" =/= the overall state of the roster today as seen by fans and the projection of greatness you guys have for it, nor the replacement level stater guys or yet-to-prove-themselves drafted guys as of now.  MCII and QW aren't stars in anyone minds but the Homer Jets Fans, most fans int his league have barely heard of them, if that.  You guys hyperinflate our players greatness to a laughable degree on even the most JAG/fringe guys.

Reputation = the big, great, meaningful, star, all-pro GM moves he's made that worked out well.  Known league wide, and by non-Jets Fans.  Like Wilson, Sauce and Hall.  Those names people outside the Jets Fan bubble know.  MCII?  Lol, ok.

And reputation is not things that Jets Fans think will work out, but have actually worked out.  Proven, not projected by the perennial optimists.

Reputations are made on winning, first and foremost, and then on great moves and studs, stars, huge wins in personnel moves.  HOF'ers, all-pros, studs.  Not drafting a decent #3 depth corner like MCII in the 5th.

Hence why Rodgers isn't on the list as I posted it.  If Rodgers wins a title in 2024, that trade goes on this list.  Today, 4 plays, 50 million in cost and a suck season, no it doesn't go on the list.

Is this really that hard to suss out for all of you?

You guys are convinced we've already won the Super Bowl in 2024, and are crediting JD for it already.

Reality is, we're good on paper only as of now, with a long list of poor moves over the six years of JD's tenure longer than the successful moves as of now. moves so many of you seem to forget or block out of your minds as if they never happened, lol.   

If 2024 changes that, I'll change my opinion on JD.  Not before.

It has also baffled me that a site that is created for fans of the Jets,  has also drawn a share of people that are fervently positive, and choose to see the good in players and the club and extoll that. Sunnysiders, as it were. It is almost as if they are fanatical in their support. Extremely interesting phenomenon.

These "you guys" that you speak of probably fit that stereotype, for whatever reason. 

😀

• Haha 3

I haven't been in love with the receiving corps but that is a group of guys who should be able to catch passes from a HOF QB.

Sure, Douglas has not done an A+ job with the receivers but it's gotta be tough trying to sell receivers on coming to a sub .500 team to catch passes from Darnold or Zach Wilson. 

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

JD’s resume as of today is two trades, and three draft picks, Sauce, Wilson and Hall. That’s about it.

And Jermaine Johnson. 

Michael Carter

Quincy Williams

Huff

Conklin

Reed 

... But sure, why not? 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

So the rest of the roster is nothing?

No other upgrades since he took over?

I agree, but you're probably wasting your time and energy responding.  Some Jets fans are just miserable.  All they can see are the negatives, and it has made them so jaded that they develop unrealistic expectations of GMs and HCs, especially when there is a meddling doofus as an owner. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

And Jermaine Johnson. 

Michael Carter

Quincy Williams

Huff

Conklin

Reed 

... But sure, why not? 

Some of you REALLY need to get out of the Jets Fan Bubble once in a while.

If this is your list of big, reputation-making wins/stars, you really need a reality check.

Any, right now Joe D's resume is "put together a roster universally recognized as one of the best in the NFL" which is a pretty good resume for a GM. 

0-0 as of now, and one key injury away from another 7 win season.

GM's don't win extension on paper in August.  They win it with results on the field in Dec and Jan.

Like I said, we go 12-4 and win a few playoff games, my opinion of JD will change.

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

There is a much smaller plague on this site of being one side of everything. It runs both poles on this planet that is JetNation. One is as annoying as the other.

It's that way on every Jets fan site I've ever read or posted on.  There are sunshiners/ homers and darksiders/cynics.  The Jets have driven us all bat-sh*t crazy.