New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

Just now, Mogglez said:

I think he’s going to turn this into a hold-in come week 4 or 5 so, ultimately, it seems more likely than not that he’s going to listen to his agent and never play a down for the Jets without a pay day that we’re not going to give him.  It’s terrible advice, but Reddick believes what Dandy is selling him on for some unknown reason.

are "hold in's " allowed during the season?

9 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

are "hold in's " allowed during the season?

Gets murky but the short answer is yes.

He’ll probably report and say what he needs to say to get activated, as well as put on the practice field or into the team gym and immediately say “Ouch; my back hurts.”

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He’ll probably report and say what he needs to say to get on the practice field or in the team gym and immediately say “Ouch; my back hurts.”

It can get very messy with hold in during the season. Particularly if he is cleared by the doctors. In the NFL, if you can walk you can play pretty much. 

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

The gamble was (and is) that he will show up and play for us at some point AND that when he does he will need to be Superman on the field in order to attract end of season buyers.  In other words.... motivated.

If the cost to place that bet was a 2026 v3rd rounder then that is a relatively minor cost.

If he has lost a step and does not want to prove it on the field then we get our money back.  If that is the case then the only truly firing offense for a GM would be to hand out a huge new contract without current tape on him.  The most recent 1/3rd of a season indicates he was not effective at all so either has slipped or he was dogging it to get a new deal.

Didn't Philly switch DC during their swoon?  They hired Patricia as a senior assistant then had him take over defensive playcalling in December.  He had Reddick drop back in coverage much more than he ever had with Philly.  Patricia sucked and was dumped for Fangio this year. 

Under Patricia, some of our best pass rushers have been dropping into coverage more than they ever have / need to, and it's further killing our ability to get pressure

I noticed this during the game but wasn't sure if it was just me, but then Sheil Kapadia brought it up in his podcast with Solak too that Reddick dropped into coverage 7 times, the most he's ever done since signing with us. It was one of the reasons he was undervalued in FA, because Cardinals and Panthers had him drop into coverage a lot more than he needed to instead of head hunting the QB. Gannon and Desai pretty much exclusively had him rushing the QB, but Patricia has a different philosophy apparently...

Shane Haff on twitter (@ShaneHaffNFL) makes great breakdowns of clips post-game, and has a pretty disturbing collection of our pass rushers (especially Reddick) dropping into coverage repeatedly.

1. Dropped Reddick into coverage to blitz with Leonard, which is far too slow to work

2. Dropped Reddick again in coverage to be "unpredictable", got burned for a long play

3. Dropped BG into coverage. Kyler broke free and got them close to the goal line

4. What's better than dropping Reddick or BG in coverage? Dropping both in coverage for a Byard blitz

5. Cards show heavy personnel, so Eagles respond by taking Reddick off the LOS and lining up him over the slot WR

6. Cover 1 man with 1 edge rusher in man-to-man coverage on a WR and another edge rushing playing off-ball LB

Between this malpractice, and the other reports that Patricia took over our 3rd-down defensive playcalling after the bye week even with Desai as the DC (is it a coincidence that we went from below average to historically dogsh*t conveniently there lol), the Patricia promotion looks more insane by the week. Desai was bad but we've now given up game-winning drives to Drew ******* Lock and the terrible Cardinals offense under Patricia. Just a baffling move all around man

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barkus said:

It can get very messy with hold in during the season. Particularly if he is cleared by the doctors. In the NFL, if you can walk you can play pretty much. 

I get it, but we’ve seen that the players union will get very aggressive in assisting players in situations like this before.  It’s not a major distraction now, but it sure seems like Reddick is going to turn it into one.

• Sympathy 1

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

The issue is this:  This move was a risk.  They had to consider that Reddick might hold out.  IMO, for the price it was a no brainer.  The only real issue is public perception as fought about here ad nauseam. 

Agreed and we can only hope they weighed the risk vs. the reward here and from my perspective, it was worth it because how do you plan for someone to do something this stupid?  I get if he didnt want to show up to camp, whatever but to sit out the whole season truly feels like one of the dumbest decisions I've ever seen athlete make from a business standpoint.  I agree he's being paid under market value but he has to look at the big picture here and realize the pay day that could be ahead of him if he explodes in this system like I'm very confident he would, is one he can ride into the twilight of his career.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

I wasnt really talking about Reddick, I was responding to you pining for JFM and Huff.  The data showed you that, nothing changed from year to year w/ Huff playing more or less and that JFM playing half the snaps, isnt going to be the difference in anything when you think about who they added.

JD had a chance to add one of the top 3 pass rushers in the league and he did and then the player decide to make a career killing move.  I'm not going to shame JD for trying to improve the roster for next nothing.  Obviously the Jets are going to be better w/ him but I dont think the Jets are worse than last year in the current state.  They'll be the same as they always are, really good, produce a similar number of pressures and sacks.  If Reddick shows up, then it's even better and the Jets are better, that's why he traded for him.  Pretty simple, no? 

The Tonight Show Agree GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

17 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

He’ll probably report and say what he needs to say to get activated, as well as put on the practice field or into the team gym and immediately say “Ouch; my back hurts.”

How does that help him get his 3 year $75 million dollar contract?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Unless you are injured in which case it makes all the sense in the world to get your money now before the buyers find out.

All he had to do was show up during the spring or summer and the jets would have held him out of practice while they work on a sweetened bridge contract.  This is something that has been consistently reported and Reddick still couldn’t be bothered to do that.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

How does that help him get his 3 year $75 million dollar contract?

It doesn’t, which is why his decision making has been mind-numbingly confusing from day one.  I touched on this yesterday in greater detail.  At some point, all Reddick has been doing is setting himself up for another 1-year “prove it” deal with another team.

• Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It was obvious that he wanted a new deal and likely wouldn’t play without one. Thus here we are. What did Douglas know and when did he know it. If Reddick was going to play on the final year he’d still be an Eagle.

The Eagles could have taken the same approach as the Jets but it would have been more of a distraction for them since it would  have been a current player and the locker room would have been affected a lot more than ours. They also signed Huff, so in their mind it wasn't worth the headache to play the game of chicken with him.

JD took a 2026 flyer figuring the worst that was going to happen was he gets 6 games out of him. There is no locker room drama because I highly doubt if anyone gives a sh*t about a guy they never played with. There are probably guys in the team that hopes he holds out the whole year. Do you see the difference between the two situations? 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

All he had to do was show up during the spring or summer and the jets would have held him out of practice while they work on a sweetened bridge contract.  This is something that has been consistently reported and Reddick still couldn’t be bothered to do that.

from your sources would the Jets have been willing to give him a 2 year deal?  Or was it always going to be a 1 year bump.

wonder if a 2 year 40mm would have got him to play (assuming like 30mm was guaranteed)

2 hours ago, JiFtheOracle said:

I wasnt really talking about Reddick, I was responding to you pining for JFM and Huff.  The data showed you that, nothing changed from year to year w/ Huff playing more or less and that JFM playing half the snaps, isnt going to be the difference in anything when you think about who they added.

JD had a chance to add one of the top 3 pass rushers in the league and he did and then the player decide to make a career killing move.  I'm not going to shame JD for trying to improve the roster for next nothing.  Obviously the Jets are going to be better w/ him but I dont think the Jets are worse than last year in the current state.  They'll be the same as they always are, really good, produce a similar number of pressures and sacks.  If Reddick shows up, then it's even better and the Jets are better, that's why he traded for him.  Pretty simple, no? 

It's all about this year -- next year or the year after don't matter at all!

also...

Losing a third round pick two years from now is foolishly throwing the future away!

GMs take shots on players. Sometimes that's with straight FA contracts, sometimes with which prospect gets drafted with a pick, and sometimes with trades. Assessing the risk vs. reward was way-skewed towards the reward. That doesn't mean it's going to happen, but just playing the odds. The risk of a 3rd round pick two full seasons later is low; the potential reward is high.

You take a shot -- sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't, but you try to go with the odds, what you're risking and what's the potential reward. FFS he could've gotten Reddick to agree to come into camp from day 1 under his existing deal and he could've then blown out his Achilles like Lawson in August. 

Oh wait, I forgot that never happened to Lawson -- Achilles tears are things that only happen to slightly-built players pushing 40, not 26 year-olds who look like they were chiseled out of granite. Didn't happen to Jaelan Phillips in November last year either, nor Dre Greenlaw in the Super Bowl after that. Also never happened to any pro athlete of note on natural grass fields either. Only no-name athletes, like David Beckham. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

He needs to play in six reg season games I think.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I truly wonder if he has the stones to wait until week 12, show up and magically 'sprain' his ankle.

I also wonder what kind of contract he could get if he did that.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Unless there is more to his late season swoon in Phily.  Something physical that he is trying to keep from the team until he gets his new deal.

Far fetched?  Maybe so but it would certainly explain this holdout if true.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

The Eagles could have taken the same approach as the Jets but it would have been more of a distraction for them since it would  have been a current player and the locker room would have been affected a lot more than ours. They also signed Huff, so in their mind it wasn't worth the headache to play the game of chicken with him.

JD took a 2026 flyer figuring the worst that was going to happen was he gets 6 games out of him. There is no locker room drama because I highly doubt if anyone gives a sh*t about a guy they never played with. There are probably guys in the team that hopes he holds out the whole year. Do you see the difference between the two situations? 

Right.  The Jets literally got him by paying the price of the 2026 comp pick the Eagles would have gotten if he left and signed a substantial deal after the season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

the people who don't want to pay him (outside of a bump this year which everyone is okay with)  - they probably worrying about the cost to resign the homegrown players.

agree we don't know much about Mac - although what we DO know is that his first year was better than Huff's first or second year from Sacks perspective.  He has to take a jump like JJ.

Reddick was a terrible player his last 200 snaps.  zero sacks and only 5 tackles.   and you want to pay him and have to let one of our core guys leave?

If JD didn't think he was shot then why did he trade for him?

We have to assume Joe believes he can still have an impact.  If that's the case he needs to get him on the field.  There are plenty of other ways he could have used $14mm and a 3rd round pick.

Again, if this was a situation where Joe didn't trade for him - then I would agree, but he did.

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If JD didn't thought he was shot then why did he trade for him?

We have to assume Joe believes he can still have an impact.  If that's the case he needs to get him on the field.  There are plenty of other ways he could have used $14mm and a 3rd round pick.

Again, if this was a situation where Joe didn't trade for him - then I would agree, but he did.

He traded a 2026 3rd for him.  That's peanuts in 2024 draft value. Obviously, he wants him but that doesn't mean he needs to cave to his demands. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Unless there is more to his late season swoon in Phily.  Something physical that he is trying to keep from the team until he gets his new deal.

Far fetched?  Maybe so but it would certainly explain this holdout if true.

I already posted this, but the late season swoon coincided with Patricia taking over the D.  They had 37 sacks in 13 games before Patricia took over and 6 in 4 games after.  Worse than that, two of those four games (and 3 of the sacks) came against the Giants who gave up 85.  That's more sacks than any team since 1986.  Giants were giving up 5 sacks per game and they got 3 in 2 games.  That's why Patricia got his walking papers and they brought Fangio back.  He wanted to be more "unpredictable."  So Reddick, Nolan Smith, Josh Sweat got zero sacks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I already posted this, but the late season swoon coincided with Patricia taking over the D.  They had 37 sacks in 13 games before Patricia took over and 6 in 4 games after.  Worse than that, two of those four games (and 3 of the sacks) came against the Giants who gave up 85.  That's more sacks than any team since 1986.  Giants were giving up 5 sacks per game and they got 3 om 2 games.  That's why Patricia got his walking papers and they brought Fangio back.

Certainly it could be scheme/coaching but it could also be some physical reason in addition to that.

Haason Reddick signed a 3 year , $45,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including $14,215,000 signing bonus, $30,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,000,000. In 2024, Reddick will earn, while carrying a cap hit of $750,000 and a dead cap value of $20,515,000.

This is the contract Reddick Signed so basically as of now he took the 30 mil guranteed on the deal and after 1 year wanted to re negotiate the contract. Seems to me he's the Idiot signing this contract because good pass rushers were making more than 20 mil per way before 2 years ago. So he signed a terrible contract and now wants out. He agreed to play for the Jets and I'm willing to bet the house he didnt tell the Jets, a team he never played for, he was going to hold out. Im betting the Jets told him from the start of this holdout "SHow up for the offseason program and we will negotiate a new contract." He said no. Why would you say no to a team you never platyed for and is WILLING to negotiate if you simply show up . Because once again just like him signing a dumb deal 2 years ago hes doing a dreadfully dumb thing right now.Could there be a medical issue involved here that he wants to negotiate without stepping on a practice field while under contarct ? Its not like hes not under contract and is teying to avoid possible injury. My question is that this is so dumb could something else be in play we have not considered ? At this stage I say **** him hes a dumb ass trying to hold an organization hostage and he has Zero leverage. if he's banking on a top 5 defense sh*tting the bed hes making a big mistake and takling a huge gamble with his future and career once again Dumb. Let him rot 

• Upvote 3

We don’t have cap issues, we’d get a third of he leaves and he’s still ours next season.  

Reddick even being on the roster prevents the Jets from using any of their cap space for this season. If they did, Reddick can simply show up and blow the cap up.

The Jets spent $15 million acquiring a player who won’t play. That is $15 million they could have spent on someone who could play in 2024.

Yes, they get credit for that space for next season but who gives a sh*t when you’re trying to win a Super Bowl now.

18 minutes ago, EM31 said:

Certainly it could be scheme/coaching but it could also be some physical reason in addition to that.

Pretty farfetched.  Did Nolan Smith, Josh Sweat, Fletcher Cox, etc. all also have some physical issue?  The Jets gave the guy a physical.  If he was hurt last season, they should have known and kept the 3rd.  Besides, if that were the case, he'd have come in and gotten paid.  It's not like he had his leg amputated in a jet ski accident since his physical.  He's posting workout videos.

5 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Reddick even being on the roster prevents the Jets from using any of their cap space for this season. If they did, Reddick can simply show up and blow the cap up.

The Jets spent $15 million acquiring a player who won’t play. That is $15 million they could have spent on someone who could play in 2024.

Yes, they get credit for that space for next season but who gives a sh*t when you’re trying to win a Super Bowl now.

Eh.  I'm not that worried about it.  Who are they going to use that space on?  I think Rodgers already indicated he would **** his deal around to add people.  If Davante is on his way, you can bet they will fit him in even if Reddick tries to show up the same day.

55 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

If JD didn't think he was shot then why did he trade for him?

The likeliest answer is the GM made an impulsive trade without thinking everything through. 

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Haason Reddick signed a 3 year , $45,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including $14,215,000 signing bonus, $30,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $15,000,000. In 2024, Reddick will earn, while carrying a cap hit of $750,000 and a dead cap value of $20,515,000.

This is the contract Reddick Signed so basically as of now he took the 30 mil guranteed on the deal and after 1 year wanted to re negotiate the contract. Seems to me he's the Idiot signing this contract because good pass rushers were making more than 20 mil per way before 2 years ago. So he signed a terrible contract and now wants out. He agreed to play for the Jets and I'm willing to bet the house he didnt tell the Jets, a team he never played for, he was going to hold out. Im betting the Jets told him from the start of this holdout "SHow up for the offseason program and we will negotiate a new contract." He said no. Why would you say no to a team you never platyed for and is WILLING to negotiate if you simply show up . Because once again just like him signing a dumb deal 2 years ago hes doing a dreadfully dumb thing right now.Could there be a medical issue involved here that he wants to negotiate without stepping on a practice field while under contarct ? Its not like hes not under contract and is teying to avoid possible injury. My question is that this is so dumb could something else be in play we have not considered ? At this stage I say **** him hes a dumb ass trying to hold an organization hostage and he has Zero leverage. if he's banking on a top 5 defense sh*tting the bed hes making a big mistake and takling a huge gamble with his future and career once again Dumb. Let him rot 

So basically he got 14 + signing bonus 15 mil per 30 mil guaranteed of the remaing 45 mil. That equals 60 mil or 20 mil per year. he took his signing bonus plus his first year pay and made 30 mil for the first year . Im not sure how much of the 30 mil Guar Applied to each year but basically this guy wanted to play for 30 mil then walk oout on the remainder of his contract. **** him classless piece of sh*t

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

the people who don't want to pay him (outside of a bump this year which everyone is okay with)  - they probably worrying about the cost to resign the homegrown players.

agree we don't know much about Mac - although what we DO know is that his first year was better than Huff's first or second year from Sacks perspective.  He has to take a jump like JJ.

Reddick was a terrible player his last 200 snaps.  zero sacks and only 5 tackles.   and you want to pay him and have to let one of our core guys leave?

Lol what an odd way of evaluating a player. Just on his last 4 games alone? That automatically makes him not worth it? Geesh

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

So basically he got 14 + signing bonus 15 mil per 30 mil guaranteed of the remaing 45 mil. That equals 60 mil or 20 mil per year. he took his signing bonus plus his first year pay and made 30 mil for the first year . Im not sure how much of the 30 mil Guar Applied to each year but basically this guy wanted to play for 30 mil then walk oout on the remainder of his contract. **** him classless piece of sh*t

I’d say the signs of him being a flake were identifiable prior to trading for him.