New York Jets, Haason Reddick Contract Saga No Longer About Fines. Game checks are now on the line, to the tune of $852,941 for each game missed.

5 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I don't expect Reddick to show up at all this season, period.

I've been saying that since the beginning of August.

Yet people keep telling me that I'm wrong.

My response is - Prove that I'm wrong.

I don't believe that I am & honestly, I really don't want this toolbag on our team.

The only caveat is the tolling of the contract. It may force Reddick's hand

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

only time will tell if you're wrong, no one can "prove" anything lol

It would be ridiculously stupid for him to just sit out the entire season. I think he shows up at the latest possible date to get credit for the year. PROVE ME WRONG.

His decision is going to be:

A) Show up to credit for the year, net 600k in pay and risk injury.

B )Hold out the entire season, lose 4 million while still being contractually bound to the Jets 

He's playing 4D chess.

• Haha 1

Just now, sciond said:

The only caveat is the tolling of the contract. It may force Reddick's hand

And if he comes in unmotivated and out of shape with nonexistent production, he'll basically kill off any chance he has of getting that long-term deal he's been coveting.

It's a lose-lose for him no matter how you slice it.

The best he'd be able to hope for is a 1-year incentivized "prove it" deal, which I think Douglas would have been willing to offer him anyway if he had just showed up to 1JD.

It's doubtful he ever recoups that money he's forfeited.  It's in the wind.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

And if he comes in unmotivated and out of shape with nonexistent production, he'll basically kill off any chance he has of getting that long-term deal he's been coveting.

It's a lose-lose for him no matter how you slice it.

The best he'd be able to hope for is a 1-year incentivized "prove it" deal, which I think Douglas would have been willing to offer him anyway if he had just showed up to 1JD.

It's doubtful he ever recoups that money he's forfeited.  It's in the wind.

Agree. He totally screwed the pooch here. 

20 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The key to any negotiation is leverage, and Reddick has virtually none.

His agent must be pulling his hair out trying to get his player to understand this.

Joe Douglas has already shown you who he is.  He's not going to cave to Reddick.

Eventually he gave Jamal what he wanted by trading him, but it was only because Seattle gave him an offer he couldn't refuse.

And I'm sure if some team offered something similar for Reddick as Seattle did for Jamal Adams, Joe Douglas would happily trade him. 

• Upvote 1

I can't wait for another Josina update that takes more digs at the Jets organization and tells us that it's a fluid situation... 

Basically saying that he is going to wait until the odds are in his favor... 

Once the trade deadline passes and he is not traded he will probably report because he exhausted all avenues... But who knows, by then he is basically playing for free... But that is certainly better then owing money back... 

I hope if he really does sit out that the Jets force him to pay all his fines... And JD doesn't just release his rights... Because then the Jets get screwed for the comp pick too.. 

Maybe that's his next move to hold leverage over the Jets that they won't recuperate a draft pick if they have to release him next year... 

I also wonder how that works in terms of pay... Is his contract for next year the same amount? Basically restarting the forfeited game checks.. 

• More Ugh 1

12 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

did rodgers say "ex agent" today when talking about Reddick - that's interesting if true.

the only hold outs were Cee Cee and Williams right?  the others were hold ins.

HR isn't on the level of the other holdouts.

Yes I just heard on McAfee Rodgers saying Reddick's former agent.  Wondering if that means he's reporting soon.  

51 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I hope if he really does sit out that the Jets force him to pay all his fines... And JD doesn't just release his rights... Because then the Jets get screwed for the comp pick too.. 

Maybe that's his next move to hold leverage over the Jets that they won't recuperate a draft pick if they have to release him next year... 

I also wonder how that works in terms of pay... Is his contract for next year the same amount? Basically restarting the forfeited game checks.. 

There would be no reason for JD to relinquish his rights, and I would not expect him to. Rather than release Zach, he waited for a trade to get half of his remaining salary off the books. He’ll do whatever he has to do to recoup that 2026 third, or however close he can come to that, imho. 

As for his contract, yes, it would be Groundhog Year for him, and he’d be under contract to the Jets for under the identical terms next season. 

• Upvote 2

So what fig leaf deal could be offered to Reddick today such that it could allow him to cave with at least some cover?

If he were to wait until week 11 and then come in for his 2025 freedom he would be playing 6 games plus a possibility of additional playoff games for a 2024 net zero dollars after fines.  Literally risking his body for "nothing".  If he stays out he is still a "prisoner" in 2025 and he is $20M worth of fines in the hole before he even starts.

He has to be looking for some excuse to report at this point.  What could we offer that gets him in?

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The key to any negotiation is leverage, and Reddick has virtually none.

His agent must be pulling his hair out trying to get his player to understand this.

Joe Douglas has already shown you who he is.  He's not going to cave to Reddick.

Eventually he gave Jamal what he wanted by trading him, but it was only because Seattle gave him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Has there been anything to indicate whether this whole ordeal is Reddick's idea? Or is it his agent's?

I hadn't seen any reports indicating one way or the other. Honestly, I had assumed he was being misguided by his agency, but then again this level of stupidity from a professional agent is almost unfathomable...

4 minutes ago, EM31 said:

So what fig leaf deal could be offered to Reddick today such that it could allow him to cave with at least some cover?

If he were to wait until week 11 and then come in for his 2025 freedom he would be playing 6 games plus a possibility of additional playoff games for a 2024 net zero dollars after fines.  Literally risking his body for "nothing".  If he stays out he is still a "prisoner" in 2025 and he is $20M worth of fines in the hole before he even starts.

He has to be looking for some excuse to report at this point.  What could we offer that gets him in?

Not quite.  The fines go against his salary this year so most of it would be simply that.  I'm not sure if fines carry over to subsequent years or not.

As for fig leaf, I think it's going to be small, whatever it is - more for show than substance.  The question now, thanks to Rodgers, is whether he fires CAA and brings on a new agent, which makes everything easier to resolve.  That really depends on who was the impetus behind this extended holdout.  

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Not quite.  The fines go against his salary this year so most of it would be simply that.  I'm not sure if fines carry over to subsequent years or not.

As for fig leaf, I think it's going to be small, whatever it is - more for show than substance.  The question now, thanks to Rodgers, is whether he fires CAA and brings on a new agent, which makes everything easier to resolve.  That really depends on who was the impetus behind this extended holdout.  

Are you sure about that? I won't pretend I know best, but I was under the impression that the fines were fines, period. And that he also forfeited his game cheques.

As many have said, this last CBA made actual holdouts veerrry prohibitive for players ... Hence the new hold-in trend. It seems possible to me Reddick's may be the last major holdout of its kind as players learn from these mistakes and that they can show up and simply be "injured", provided they have legitimate leverage.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Are you sure about that? I won't pretend I know best, but I was under the impression that the fines were fines, period. And that he also forfeited his game cheques.

As many have said, this last CBA made actual holdouts veerrry prohibitive for players ... Hence the new hold-in trend. It seems possible to me Reddick's may be the last major holdout of its kind as players learn from these mistakes and that they can show up and simply be "injured", provided they have legitimate leverage.

Yes.  Basically, every week he holds out, he forfeits that week's game check.  It's the pre-season fines I'm not sure about.  If he starts playing this season, I believe they will come out of his game checks until they are paid.  If he misses the entire season, it may be that they just zero him out and he starts over cleanly next year but it could be that the fines persist.  That is a mystery to me at this point.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Rogers said:

This is correct. Reddick is forfeiting game checks right now but he has also accumulated $4.5 million in non-waivable fines and $3 million in discretionary fines on top of that.

20 hours ago, nycdan said:

my guess is the other way around - the agent dropped him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

my guess is the other way around - the agent dropped him.

If Reddick did drop his agent, and he was following his agent's advice all this time (and has proof of it, like texts & such saying things particularly bad like [the agent] knows people inside 1 Jets Drive so he knows and/or guarantees the Jets will cave & Douglas is just posturing); and following said advice was based upon those representations; might Reddick have/file a lawsuit against his now-former agent? 

Bunch of ifs there, admittedly, but if all that: what say our resident JN lawyers?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Mr. Rogers said:

Has there been anything to indicate whether this whole ordeal is Reddick's idea? Or is it his agent's?

I hadn't seen any reports indicating one way or the other. Honestly, I had assumed he was being misguided by his agency, but then again this level of stupidity from a professional agent is almost unfathomable...

I saw a report that his agent has (or had if he’s been fired) been trying to talk sense into him, but that Reddick is “dug in”

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, nycdan said:

Yes.  Basically, every week he holds out, he forfeits that week's game check.  It's the pre-season fines I'm not sure about.  If he starts playing this season, I believe they will come out of his game checks until they are paid.  If he misses the entire season, it may be that they just zero him out and he starts over cleanly next year but it could be that the fines persist.  That is a mystery to me at this point.

does anyone know the actual rules for when Reddick needs to report to get credit for the season?   I keep seeing 6 weeks but is that accurate?   if so, what is it based on?    why does a player get credit for a full season by playing less than 1/2?   

Just now, LionelRichie said:

does anyone know the actual rules for when Reddick needs to report to get credit for the season?   I keep seeing 6 weeks but is that accurate?   if so, what is it based on?    why does a player get credit for a full season by playing less than 1/2?   

before week 10 supposedly

which coincides with trade deadline roughly