2022 Draft Class: Who are we keeping?

i see some of you are talking about a new GM, and i know you guys wrote them a few hours ago but JD just gave a 3 year extension to MC2. not sure how many GMs in there last year are allowed to hand out extensions like that. seems to me Woody is bringing him back unless this is a complete disaster which i cant see happening. 

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, doitny said:

i see some of you are talking about a new GM, and i know you guys wrote them a few hours ago but JD just gave a 3 year extension to MC2. not sure how many GMs in there last year are allowed to hand out extensions like that. seems to me Woody is bringing him back unless this is a complete disaster which i cant see happening. 

Well, it could be because Woody knows that MC II is one of the best slot CBs in the NFL, but with the roster JD has built, I wouldn't be surprised if Woody has already made up his mind to keep JD around.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, doitny said:

Good point. He will get an extension if the team doesn't quit on Saleh. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, slats said:

If Breece has the kind of season he’s capable of this year, I don’t hesitate to make him the highest paid RB in the league next winter. The depressed RB market is a blessing to a team with a top 1-2 in the entire league type back. A guy who was second in the NFL in yards from scrimmage last year on one of the league’s worst offenses. He’s a bargain basement value at $20M/year, especially when you consider that Wilson will be looking at $35M/year. 

Paying Hall is kind of akin to paying Carter in some ways. Because of the position you’re getting outsized production for the contract. Least that’s how I’d see it.

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

If Allen shows he is a capable back and can put up 80% of Hall’s APY, why pay $14-$16 million? 

Because the offensive skill player market is silly right now and if you can hang on to Breece Hall for a few more years at a rate somewhere in between what Gabe Davis and Christian Kirk are making it’s probably a good call. Cheap, high end, explosive production.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, JKlecko said:

How did he accomplish that?  Reddick wasn't drafted by the Eagles, and when he signed with them, he had never played for them before.  He had played for Carolina the year before he signed with the Eagles.  There's no way he could have given them a homegrown discount.

He grew up in the area from what I read.  

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

INT’s?

If there are no stats to indicate this, how do you know it’s happening?

Again, there are in fact stats,lol. It’s not magic.

INTs don’t indicate effectiveness.  Ty Laws 10 INTs with the Jets, in the middle of a mediocre season proves it.  Sauce is probably the best cb in the NFL today, shuts his side of the field down and by forcing teams to stay away from his man, his own effectiveness causes him to have fewer INTs than other cbs.  We went through this conversation in the Revis Island years 

You need a stat to tell you a corner is shutting his side of the field down?  Really?  You don’t know Sauce is doing his job when you watch Jet games?  You wouldn’t know Revis was doing his job well shutting down his side of the field?  

You keep saying there are stats but can’t come up with one unless you think to hate than should be necessary and then google it.   Apparently it is magic, there’s only one I can think of off the top of my head.  But that’s the point, know one knows or has a ranking 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, rangerous said:

we all agree sauce is a heck of a player but do they need that type in their defensive scheme?  i don't think so.  sauce doesn't take away half of the field.  he plays his position as defined by saleh and ulrich.  remember they played two games without sauce last season and were successful.

Why would any team not want a player like Sauce as a part of their defense?  This comment is just as much a serious head scratcher as saying he doesn’t take away half the field and that he just plays his position as the CS wants him to.  Just like he did in college.  Which led him to being the 4th overall pick.  Just for playing Cincy’s D.  

This early bird thread is to derail our focus from Reddick and Sperm Edwards is the greatest!!! OMG I love-love-love him!!!. 
Ahmad Gardner (CB, Cincinnati) - Round 1, No. 4 - Trade for two 1st round picks- Promising holdout candidate 2025. Could be traded for a couple of first round picks
Garrett Wilson (WR, Ohio State) - Round 1, No. 10 (from SEA)- 3-year extension @market value 
Jermaine Johnson II (DE, Florida State) - Round 1, No. 26 (from TEN)-3 year-year extension @home discount
Breece Hall (RB, Iowa State) - Round 2, No. 36 (from NYG)- Promising holdout candidate 2025  
Jeremy Ruckert (TE, Ohio State) - Round 3, No. 101 (from NO via PHI and TEN) TBD, he will most likely playout his contract 
This one is dedicated to [mention=34475]Green Ghost[/mention]

Anyone who thinks trading Sauce Gardner is a good idea shouldn’t be allowed to have takes on football.,

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, JKlecko said:

Thank you.  I can't believe some of the sh*t I'm seeing in this thread.  The guys advocating for letting 2 or 3 of them walk or be traded are the very guys who would be screaming bloody murder the year after because the Jets let them go.  Jets fans!  SMH

Bizarre man. Jets fans are mentally ill, for real. Like schizophrenic or something lol

• Upvote 1

Agree with all of this.
I love Sauce as a player, but I don't think he's of a different, higher caliber of player than Wilson or Breece.
I'd spend money on players that score touchdowns and rush the quarterback, then figure out the rest. 

Sauce has been a two time all pro player. What kind of takes are these?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, derp said:

Because the offensive skill player market is silly right now and if you can hang on to Breece Hall for a few more years at a rate somewhere in between what Gabe Davis and Christian Kirk are making it’s probably a good call. Cheap, high end, explosive production.

I love everything about Breece… his demeanor, his talent and his leadership.

By all means keep him if you can, but not at the expense of CB, in a pass heavy league and Edge (if JJ or Hassan blow it up this season) in a pass heavy league. 

The reason we draft players every year is to replace players as they get more and more expensive. Nothing personal.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I love everything about Breece… his demeanor, his talent and his leadership.

By all means keep him if you can, but not at the expense of CB, in a pass heavy league and Edge (if JJ or Hassan blow it up this season) in a pass heavy league. 

The reason we draft players every year is to replace players as they get more and more expensive. Nothing personal.

You want to replace the guys who are more replaceable, right? Unless you’re talking about Sauce there, and I don’t think Hall will have anything to do with his contract negotiation, the spots it seems like you want to pay currently have players who are pretty replaceable and guys will get overpaid relative to their impact.

Johnson needs to take a leap to even be in the conversation with Hall in terms of what he brings to the team.

Have a hard time getting past the Jets being 5-2 with Hall in 2022 and 2-8 without him.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Why would any team not want a player like Sauce as a part of their defense?  This comment is just as much a serious head scratcher as saying he doesn’t take away half the field and that he just plays his position as the CS wants him to.  Just like he did in college.  Which led him to being the 4th overall pick.  Just for playing Cincy’s D.  

I’m not saying they shouldn’t want keep sauce or all four of those guys.  But I think the way sauce is currently used, he can be more easily replaced through the draft.  I’m thinking these four will cost the jets nearly 100 million in cap space going forward a couple of years.  Is this doable? Maybe but pulling some high draft picks is also attractive.

6 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Anyone remotely thinking about trading Gardner must long for the days of Dee Milliner and the always fan favorite Kyle wilson.  

Yep, it’s a head scratcher for sure. Maybe we can get him back after he go’s and wins a superbowl with a rival like Revis did? This place sometimes. Haha 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yep, it’s a head scratcher for sure. Maybe we can get him back after he go’s and wins a superbowl with a rival like Revis did? This place sometimes. Haha 

He don't gots the interceptions tho.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

I’m not saying they shouldn’t want keep sauce or all four of those guys.  But I think the way sauce is currently used, he can be more easily replaced through the draft.  I’m thinking these four will cost the jets nearly 100 million in cap space going forward a couple of years.  Is this doable? Maybe but pulling some high draft picks is also attractive.

I’m thinking we all know why RBs have problems getting 2nd contracts, they’re expendable.  The others are much harder to replace, have the bigger learning curve than a RB.  It’s kind of a given

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Plen T said:

Breece is not getting extended 

Hall is the best player on the team and has Marshall Faulk/Tomlinson type of talent. These were the focal points of their respective offenses. Breece might be the most talented player the Jets have ever had. I mean, nothing has no be done yet, but he’s a guy you want on the roster for a long time. He’s also only 23.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Anyone remotely thinking about trading Gardner must long for the days of Dee Milliner and the always fan favorite Kyle wilson.  

I don’t get those that are so quick to trade away a player who’s is top of the league, a position that isn’t easily replaced and are willing to pay a RB for example, one of the most easiest position to replace.  
It’s crazy to me to not want to sign all of them.  Seriously would keep JJ over Sauce?  OK

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mfmartin said:

Sauce has been a two time all pro player. What kind of takes are these?

Listen, I love Sauce. I'm not arguing about the quality of the player. He's excellent. 

And I'd love to keep him too.

But if we can't afford all 4, I'd keep the two offensive playmakers in their prime, let the pass rusher play out his deal and assess and trade away Sauce for a kings ransom.

imo people need to remember that for the first half or so of last year Hall wasn't fully himself and was playing with the worst quarterback in human history. His rookie games and the back end of the season are more representative of what he brings. I'm in the camp that he's an unusual talent and you should probably throw out some of the notions about running backs when considering his 2nd contract

13 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Breece Hall and Christin McCaffrey are not running backs.  They are elite playmakers!

This is it in a nutshell. We’re not talking about a plug & play RB who’ll give you your 4.2 ypc here, we’re talking about a guy who’s literally a threat to score every time he touches the football from anywhere on the field. Because he’s listed as a RB rather than a WR, he’ll be a little over half the cost of a Justin Jefferson, but give you the same (or more) yards and TDs. It is an absolute no-brainer to get him under contract ASAP. 

13 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I personally would like to see Carter II resigned now at $10M per year.  I think it’s 50/50 something gets done this season.  

Very nice call here! 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Hall is the best player on the team and has Marshall Faulk/Tomlinson type of talent. These were the focal points of their respective offenses. Breece might be the most talented player the Jets have ever had. I mean, nothing has no be done yet, but he’s a guy you want on the roster for a long time. He’s also only 23.

Hater

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Larz said:

Weird how the elite players get paid and not traded. It’s almost like if you hit on a draft pick, you keep him. 

They want the GM to let the elite players go, to then demand GM be fired for not being able to keep the elite players 🤪 lol 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

INTs don’t indicate effectiveness.

They indicate effectiveness in making pass-based turnovers.

Which is one (of many) criteria for evaluating NFL Cornerbacks.

You need a stat to tell you a corner is shutting his side of the field down?  Really?  You don’t know Sauce is doing his job when you watch Jet games?  You wouldn’t know Revis was doing his job well shutting down his side of the field?  

As has oft been repeated, the "fan eye test" is the absolute worst "proof" of any claim, especially when it comes from obviously biased fans of that player/team.

To be clear, at no point have I said he does or doesn't "shut down his side of the field".  This is a straw man argument on your part as it relates to me.

You keep saying there are stats but can’t come up with one

You dismissing INT's as a stat (one of many) used to evaluate the play of NFL CB's doesn't mean I didn't "come up with one" Nut. 

You're simply wrong.

But if you'd like others, here are a few:

Percentage of Snaps Played
Percentage of Targets Against vs. Total Passes Against for the Team
Percentage of plays against Opponents #1 WR.
Passes Defensed (PD)
Completion Percentage Against
Total Air Yards on Completions Against
YAC on Completions Against
Etc.

I am sure a casual visit to one of the "advanced stats" sites would provide several more, as desired.

unless you think to hate than should be necessary and then google it.   Apparently it is magic, there’s only one I can think of off the top of my head.  But that’s the point, know one knows or has a ranking 

:wtf:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Listen, I love Sauce. I'm not arguing about the quality of the player. He's excellent. 

And I'd love to keep him too.

But if we can't afford all 4, I'd keep the two offensive playmakers in their prime, let the pass rusher play out his deal and assess and trade away Sauce for a kings ransom.

A CB like Sauc

57 minutes ago, Larz said:

he’s looking at $27 mill a year probably. Worth every cent 

image.thumb.png.c80f3ad2032c130799f6afb8497fc47a.png

Why am I not seeing Surtan listed?

image.png