Michael Carter II extended 3 years

5 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

No way there should be an extension for Reddick in the works.  That would be a Mac-like move...Give him an extension and big contract before he ever plays a down for this team.  Reddick then suffers a serious injury this year, misses the whole season, is not the same player following the injury and sucks for the next 2 years.

Lol could that not happen to any player?

40 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

This is MC-II extension is not related to a contract offer for Reddick, it doesn't kick in until next year, thus it has no bearing on our CAP for this season.

The Quincy Williams/Tyler Conklin restructures do affect the CAP this season & could be moves to set the table for a Reddick offer, but we'll see.

Contract extensions do usually result in more cap space. According to OTC it’s 

IMG_0729.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Bad news for DJ Reed?

I don't think Reed was ever going to be back next year, anyway.  With MC II, Sauce, G. Wilson, JJ and Breece to extend and 10-11 starters and 7 top backups set to become FAs next offseason, there was never going to be enough money to sign Reed imo.  It's too bad, but he has given us two excellent years so far, and hopefully will give us another this season.  At a minimum, the Jets will have JBC and Stiggers in the wings, and if they retain Echols, they'll have 3 CBs competing for the #2 job next season, so I think they'll be fine at CB.  They can always draft another CB as well.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, SomebodytoAnybody47 said:

Lol could that not happen to any player?

It could, but imo would be dumb to give a player who has never played a down for your team an extension.  Those should be reserved for homegrown players who have made good, or FAs who you have signed to a contract, they play well, and then merit an extension, but not some guy you trade for or a FA right off the bat.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

It could, but imo would be dumb to give a player who has never played a down for your team an extension.  Those should be reserved for homegrown players who have made good, or FAs who you have signed to a contract, they play well, and then merit an extension, but not some guy you trade for or a FA right off the bat.

You realize that's what a free agent is basically? 

I get it. I get it. You're mad it him. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He settled, imo. CB market is set to blow up with Sauce and Pat Surtain looking at new deals. Good on Douglas for getting him in cheap

Not sure this applies if he is the highest paid Slot DB in the NFL ... if he was to move to the outside then I would say yeah he really settled but hes the highest paid at his position so he's creating the market at that position 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Larz said:

May have been hasty to assume the restructuring deals were for Carter. 

No idea if this is accurate but the Carter extension might actually be part of the Reddick plan 

IMG_0729.jpeg

I think this is most definitely part of the Reddick plan, but not in terms of cap room.  JD is always very aware of the signals that his moves send.  He even mentioned it in his recent press conference.  I think this is a clear message to all, particularly the locker room, that guys who buy in and strain for this team will always be the top priority when it comes to being rewarded.

Whether Reddick was going to get something extra from the Jets now or later, a proven Jet performer like Carter was going to get a bag first.  I don’t know if a Reddick agreement is imminent, but the door is now open from a core team values perspective, and that’s not nothing.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

40 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Not sure this applies if he is the highest paid Slot DB in the NFL ... if he was to move to the outside then I would say yeah he really settled but hes the highest paid at his position so he's creating the market at that position 

Right but if DJ Reed sprains an ankle and Carter slides outside and dominates for six games, he becomes the #1 corner on the market next offseason. He had potential to get that L’Jarius Snead bump. 

• Upvote 3

It's definitely a nice change of pace to finally see the Jets being a step ahead and getting a deal done in advance of a contract expiring, at a time when the team actually has leverage.  That's been a continuous struggle for this team, as the only other time it has gotten done was when Quinnen forced them to.

MC2 was deserving of the deal and odds are he would be costing even more 4 months from now, so I'm on board with this having gotten done.  Not to mention, both Reed and MC2 on track to be hitting FA at the same time would've been a recipe for disaster, before even considering that Sauce will be looking for his new deal next offseason as well, making this that much more important to have gotten done right now.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

Why last year?

Because the odds are low that we're looking to pay three CBs near top-of-market salaries (Carter = highest paid slot, Sauce will be the highest paid CB soon enough, and Reed will command a deal in the 17M per range), plus we have two promising young CBs on rookie contracts and under cost control for another 2-3 years after this one (JBC/Stiggers). We're going to have a whole bunch of FAs next offseason plus a bunch of just-extension-eligible studs (Wilson, Sauce, Breece) and near-studs (JJ) - we're not going to be able to resign everyone, especially guys who'll get paid the way Reed will be looking to (and will deserve). 

Add in what they dealt for Reddick (a 3rd rd pick in the draft 2 drafts away - also known as the draft where comp picks for FA losses next offseason will be given out) and the writing is on the wall: they plan to be a net loser of FAs next offseason and Reed is the easiest of our high-quality pending FAs (other than Reddick) to identify as a guy they'll let sign elsewhere. Reluctantly, and if his market doesn't develop as expected they'll happily take him back at around his current pay scale or even a bit higher, but that's very unlikely IMO.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Larz said:

Contract extensions do usually result in more cap space. According to OTC it’s 

IMG_0729.jpeg

On a deal like this, where the player is already making relatively little, odds are good that they actually put some of his extension cap charges into this year (via signing bonus and proration) rather than using it to lower his current cap hit. 

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

They are grooming Qwantez to be DJs replacement next season 

Or JBC, who showed out this offseason and also looks good.

• Upvote 1

May have been hasty to assume the restructuring deals were for Carter. 

No idea if this is accurate but the Carter extension might actually be part of the Reddick plan 

http://content.invisioncic.com/y326398/monthly_2024_09/IMG_0729.jpeg.77d90ee5c0463cd14ffbc5a04b0634f9.jpeg
This 100% is what I'm seeing. JD is moving money around for Reddick

Sent from the FOREVER AND EVER Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

Its interesting that this is the 1st JD multi-year extension, but when you think about it, he is probably the only 2020 or 2021 draft pick worthy of a multi-year extension. I love Vera-Tucker, but he has been hurt so much, how can you even consider extending him?

Nice job by JD. Next up, next year, is the tall task to extend the 2022 studs, Garrett Wilson, Sauce Gardner, and Breece Hall. Keep the offense and defensive home grown studs on this team. If it means we don't give a big contract to Reddick, I don't care. We can add JJ to the list of extensions. I love that we have home grown studs on both sides of the ball. Building something special. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Always the chance DJ stays under a team friendly deal we'll have to wait and see.

Hoping some of these guys will be willing to work on some home team discounts and keep as many as possible. Don't any of them want to start their own "fitness advisor" companies the Jets could look to hire, like the Pats did with Brady all those years? 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Bad news for DJ Reed?

Reed is really good.  But we are hoping one of JBC and Stiggers can replace him to keep the money low.  I think he has played well enough some team will pay him.

How much should Sauce command?  25? 30?  Home grown generational HOF trajectory freak athlete should get the bag.  Plus MCII and you're looking at close to 40m.  Having a Stiggers or JBC step in for cheap with as little drop-off as possible would be a huge boon to this team.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Scott Dierking said:

Huff "situation"? What situation is that? That they thought he was one dimensional and did not feel that he was worth what someone else in the market thought he was worth?

That is not a "situation". That is a football decision. The Jets let us know exactly what they thought of Huff, by the way they played him.

Now, maybe they will be proven wring in that opinion of Huff, but that has not been proven yet.

If anything Vic Fangio's remarks about Huff earlier in the off-season, have affirmed what the Jets thought about him up to this point.

He's not yet developed into an every down player.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

If anything Vic Fangio's remarks about Huff earlier in the off-season, have affirmed what the Jets thought about him up to this point.

He's not yet developed into an every down player.

I believe that was Fangio just kicking in the ass through the media messaging. Old school kind of stuff. It will be interesting to see what Huff brings this fall, and if he is less productive in burst given a higher snap count. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I believe that was Fangio just kicking in the ass through the media messaging. Old school kind of stuff. It will be interesting to see what Huff brings this fall, and if he is less productive in burst given a higher snap count. 

Maybe so.

I might be dead wrong, but personally, I think at least some of Huff's production and effieciency, was a result of the coaching and the defensive scheme he was playing in.

I would not be at all surprised, to see his numbers & his production drop this season.

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

Reed is really good.  But we are hoping one of JBC and Stiggers can replace him to keep the money low.  I think he has played well enough some team will pay him.

How much should Sauce command?  25? 30?  Home grown generational HOF trajectory freak athlete should get the bag.  Plus MCII and you're looking at close to 40m.  Having a Stiggers or JBC step in for cheap with as little drop-off as possible would be a huge boon to this team.

Sauce's contract will likely be in the 23-25M APY range, based on where the CB market is and who's coming up for an extension before him. His closest NFL comp and the player most in the conversation with him as "best CB in the NFL" is Pat Surtain II, who was drafted a year earlier. The Broncos picked up his 5th year option (obviously) for 2025, when he'll earn 19+M, and will probably look to extend him ahead of that option year. I could see him resetting the CB market to anywhere from 22-25M, and that'll absolutely be the baseline that both Sauce and the Jets use to level-set what an extension for Sauce should look like; I'd expect Sauce's final contract to basically be the Surtain deal plus 250K-1M or so (to give him "highest paid" bragging rights), though possibly with stronger guarantees or cash flows. Sauce isn't so far and away better than Surtain that he'll be expecting to blow away whatever deal Surtain lands.

Of course, the Broncos could blow up the market by giving Surtain 30M. But I doubt it.