Not an over-reaction. The Jets defense had 18 missed tackles in the MNF loss to the 49er's. This HAS to be cleaned up.

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

There were a ton of missed tackles in all the games I watched. Given the reduced playing time in pre-season the early weeks are sloppy. I expect the Jets defense will do much better in that regard each week.

Reminder that the 49ers were playing their 1st game of the season too.

• Upvote 1

• ARodJetsFan changed the title to Not an over-reaction. The Jets defense had 18 missed tackles in the MNF loss to the 49er's. This HAS to be cleaned up.

You don't have to apologize for our awful performance. It's not an overreaction, it is reality. The Jets were smoked by a professional team that has been well coached for years.  

Saleh is a great cheerleader. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I said the difference in this game for us would be tackling. And I'm not right often. But I was here.

It has been the issue during quitting time and too early in the season to regurgitate. 

6 minutes ago, Bronx said:

You don't have to apologize for our awful performance. It's not an overreaction, it is reality, The Jets were smoked by a professional team that has been well coached for years.  

Saleh is a great cheerleader. 

There has been a lot of Saleh bashing going on through the enitre off-season, that I've tried to stay away from.

We have 2 coaches that I have legitimate confidence in - ST coach Brant Boyer & DC Jeff Ulbrich.

Yes the defense performed like garbage on Monday night, but I do think Ulbrich is a very good coach & D Coordinator.

I have very little confidence in Saleh as a HC and no confidence at all in Hackett as on OC - Hackett would have been sh*t-canned in the off-season, if it wasn't for Rodgers.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Tackling - defensive football 101 and the Jets were exceptionally bad at it on Monday night. 18 missed tackles is unacceptable - period.

Again, I'm not a PFF fan and don't really give a crap about their grades - but you simply can't ignore 18 missed tackles on defense - no wonder they coudln't get off the field.

PFF: How many tackles did New York Jets miss vs. San Francisco 49ers? (usatoday.com)

The New York Jets were beaten on all fronts against the San Francisco 49ers in their 2024 NFL season opener.

The Jets lost 32-19 and while their offense couldn’t stay on the field, the defense matched that by not getting off of it. A big reason for that was a slew of missed tackles.

The clear misses on defense is what led to San Francisco running back Jordan Mason ripping off 147 rushing yards and a touchdown despite being relatively unknown.

Did you keep track of how many times New York’s defense missed tackles? Pro Football Focus did.

According to the football analytics outlet, Gang Green tried and failed to tackle 49ers players 18 total times. Woof.

Per PFF’s metrics, here were the worst grades handed out to Jets defenders for tackling in Week 1 as well:

• Jermaine Johnson: 25.3
  • Ashtyn Davis: 26.6
  • Sauce Gardner: 27.6
  • Will McDonald: 27.7
  • Jamien Sherwood: 30.0
  • Quinnen Williams: 38.9
  • Solomon Thomas: 40.0

I think Davis had the worse game of his career and should be on notice.

15 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

An indictment that starters, need to start playing in the pre-season again - just like it used to be.

They need to stop treating these guys, like they're eggs that are going to break if they get hit.

It's friggin' NFL football - hits are part of the game.

dont think it gets much better in the future. With an 18 game schedule not far off - preseason will be bubble players and 1 or 2 spots for starters.

practice scrimmages etc will be where the starters get their reps.

Preparation will be even more important and that is simply not a strength of this staff to date. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ken Schroy said:

I think Davis had the worse game of his career and should be on notice.

I agree and I'm not really sure why he was on the field so much.  Was it because Carter got hurt?  I would have expected more of Echols in there. 

Surprised Sauce graded so low.  Was that mostly the run game?  He remains beyond pitiful in run support and I honestly thought that might be why he got benched.  I kind of still do.  Johnson seemed to be getting held, but he often does.  At some point he has to find a way around it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Trotter said:

dont think it gets much better in the future. With an 18 game schedule not far off - preseason will be bubble players and 1 or 2 spots for starters.

practice scrimmages etc will be where the starters get their reps.

I can only hope that you're wrong, but you may not be.

33 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Per PFF’s metrics, here were the worst grades handed out to Jets defenders for tackling in Week 1 as well:

Spencer Burford absolutely destroying JJ 

Quinnen getting dominated by Trent Williams (who by the way also didn't have a preseason)

and don't even get me started on Micheal Clemons 

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Spencer Burford absolutely destroying JJ 

Quinnen getting dominated by Trent Williams (who by the way also didn't have a preseason)

and don't even get me started on Micheal Clemons 

Those mid round picks that don’t matter playing well for the Niners

• En Fuego 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

just completely manhandled, out played, out schemed, out coached and out efforted.

No way to sugar-coat it - I particularly agree on the out efforted part.

Effort on the part of Jets players, was definitely lacking and it showed.

Rather then rising up to the level of competition, they withered under adversity.

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Tackling - defensive football 101 and the Jets were exceptionally bad at it on Monday night. 18 missed tackles is unacceptable - period.

Again, I'm not a PFF fan and don't really give a crap about their grades - but you simply can't ignore 18 missed tackles on defense - no wonder they coudln't get off the field.

PFF: How many tackles did New York Jets miss vs. San Francisco 49ers? (usatoday.com)

The New York Jets were beaten on all fronts against the San Francisco 49ers in their 2024 NFL season opener.

The Jets lost 32-19 and while their offense couldn’t stay on the field, the defense matched that by not getting off of it. A big reason for that was a slew of missed tackles.

The clear misses on defense is what led to San Francisco running back Jordan Mason ripping off 147 rushing yards and a touchdown despite being relatively unknown.

Did you keep track of how many times New York’s defense missed tackles? Pro Football Focus did.

According to the football analytics outlet, Gang Green tried and failed to tackle 49ers players 18 total times. Woof.

• Ashtyn Davis: 26.6
  • Sauce Gardner: 27.6
  • Will McDonald: 27.7
  • Jamien Sherwood: 30.0
  • Quinnen Williams: 38.9
  • Solomon Thomas: 40.0

I'm not PFF

and I approve of this message

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Salehs thought he could reinvent football with the way he treats preseason and training camp. Blocking and tackling still happens to matter though. Pure arrogance.

You know who didn't miss tackles in week 1?   San Diego Chargers.   It's crazy to think both Harbaugh and Vrabel were available and we stuck with Saleh.   It's like that time we had Hackenburg and passed on Mahomes - this team does not learn.   

• Upvote 1

This, tackling, was the biggest problem the jets had, surprisingly. They couldn't stop anything on third down.  They could also probably use a load in the center of the d-line to stop such a massive push the o-line was getting. However, soft camps also equate to soft starts. Regardless of the hype from this camp being a tougher one I, as a fan, miss two a days and players ready to play week one as they looked like a JV defense that got dominated physically. The loss was 'good' though as the 49ers are a great team and you'll lose some of those games even if you play great yourself. However, now the Jets, hopefully, have come back down to earth, and know they'll have to show up each week to win. They better win convincingly this weekend or the doom and gloom will come out from those of us who haven't fallen victim to such already.