Kevin Kolb

PavlovsDogs

38 minutes ago, slats said:

Junior Seau shot himself in the chest so that his brain could be studied. There’s no amount of money that can possibly overcome the relentless depression brought upon by literal brain damage. I hope the doctors tell him he should never play again, so he can at least walk away with most of the money and maybe a chance at a normal life after football. 

Wow, I wasn't aware of that.  I wish OJ had allowed doctors to check his brain for CTE after he passed.  I wouldn't be surprised if he had it.

3 hours ago, slats said:

Junior Seau shot himself in the chest so that his brain could be studied. There’s no amount of money that can possibly overcome the relentless depression brought upon by literal brain damage. I hope the doctors tell him he should never play again, so he can at least walk away with most of the money and maybe a chance at a normal life after football. 

I agree to an extent. Everyone reacts differently. All of the players from the 70s and 80s and 90s and beyond got concussed, (had their bell rung etc.), stayed in games, got hit in the head again and didn't have the reaction Seau had. That doesn't mean repeated concussions aren't a terrible injury, it clearly is, but it is a personal decision to make based on the guidance of doctors.

Signing up to play professional football is inherently a risky decision. We've seen guys like Barry Sanders and Andrew Luck hang it up in their prime. So no one would blame Tua for doing so given these concussions. 

1 hour ago, Jetpain said:

With his concussion history why would he not be wearing one of those guardian caps ?  

Was wondering the exact same thing. While I understand why most players don't want to wear it because it doesn't look cool and you don't look as "tough", it should be mandated for players with a history of concussions so they can wear it without people questioning their toughness. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Was wondering the exact same thing. While I understand why most players don't want to wear it because it doesn't look cool and you don't look as "tough", it should be mandated for players with a history of concussions so they can wear it without people questioning their toughness. 

Reportedly, there’s several models of new NFL helmets that give equal protection to helmets with guardian caps without the external cap

2 hours ago, Jetpain said:

With his concussion history why would he not be wearing one of those guardian caps ?  

I think it’s too little too late with someone like Tua. I might be wrong but I think these guardian caps are designed to reduce the “minor” concussions linemen experience on a play to play basis. 

I think he’s had six serious concussions now going back to his time at Alabama, several of them in quick succession. 

9 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Because they dont really help when your head is moving at a certain velocity then comes to a screatching halt by hitting the ground or another player. 

While they may not help in certain situations, i would think that in many situations they do help, especially with a player who has had prior concussions.  I would have to think that every hit matters and that a guy like Tua should at least attempt to minimize as many head impacts as possible, small or large. 

17 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Concussions & Traumatic Brain Injury are very real.

I know Tua just received a massive contract from the Phish, but the man needs to be thinking about his family & life after football.

I sincerely hope everything works out for him.

Luckily per @Sperm Edwards roughly $192M of it appears to be fully guaranteed if he retires today.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Luckily per @Sperm Edwards roughly $192M of it appears to be fully guaranteed if he retires today.  

I mean, I'm just reading off someone else's website, but that's how it looks based on that info. He wouldn't likely get it all right away (2025 guarantees pay in 2025, 2026 guaranteed salary may pay in weekly/game installments in 2026, etc.) but it's a plenty small-enough window. 

If week 1 ends up being his final game - and it probably won't be, though for his sake it should - that's one expensive game for the Dolphins. Circumstances leading to it aside, in hindsight it'd be the worst contract ever awarded in professional sports. 

• Post of the Week 1

I trust your cap takes implicitly.  You could just make up stuff at this point and I’d gobble it up.
I just steer clear at all costs ... I liken scrutinizing a Sperm analysis to reading "the Book of the Dead", gazing upon Medusa, or comprehending Cthulhu.... It would not end well for you.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, slats said:

Scary fact I've come across:

Average age of death for a male in USA is 75

Average age of death for an NFL player is 55

Id imagine that will get longer as newer players age with better technology but this game ain't worth 20 years off your life.

• Upvote 1

Scary fact I've come across:
Average age of death for a male in USA is 75
Average age of death for an NFL player is 55

Id imagine that will get longer as newer players age with better technology but this game ain't worth 20 years off your life.

Wow.... I agree ...How is Broadway Joe .. one of the most battered humans to play QB ... Sill kicking ??? This is a serious question.

Average USA Male Salary : 64K
Average NFL Salary : 2.7M (this is from 2017... So its higher .. I'll see if I can find the current number)

Risk / Reward might have something to do with why it's still a sport guys want to play.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

If there is one reason why football in the future might be unsuccessful concussions is it. They might try but there really isn't a solution. We know the NFL is a cash cow and probably a great investment. For now. But what about the future. If I had billions I wouldn't be spending it on an NFL franchise. And if I owned one I'd sell now at high of market value. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Wow.... I agree ...How is Broadway Joe .. one of the most battered humans to play QB ... Sill kicking ??? This is a serious question.

Average USA Male Salary : 64K
Average NFL Salary : 2.7M (this is from 2017... So its higher .. I'll see if I can find the current number)

Risk / Reward might have something to do with why it's still a sport guys want to play.

Sure, that's just the NFL. Probably have to filter out QB salary from that average to get a fair assessment (even though this topic is Tua related)

I'd imagine finding out life spans for NCAA level play is harder to find out but when you consider the average NFL career is only 3.5 years long, I'd have to think there is an impact on that level too.