Tyron Smith

I believe most here feel he is a liability, and it is talked about a little in game threads, however, I don't see much being put on him outside of that.

Correct me if I am wrong, but he may be the weakest link in the entire offense, and if I am close to right, when do the Jets make a switch.

One, he cost more money with every snap he takes, and two, we are pretty much looking toward next year already.  

Is it time to the give kid the opportunity,  take the lumps, save money in the process and based on the first seven games, very little chance of being worse at the position?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I can think of someone that better ******* be able to fill in.

18 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

They drafted a LT in the first round. It's time.

ballsy move 

13 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I loved the signing but holy sh*t he’s been awful.

He had a good 6-8 year period of being arguably the best in the league at handling finesse rushers.

Now he looks like his legs are stuck in JIF.

I said when Brick retired that Jets fans would immediately miss him, despite many dogging him for years for being a Top 5 pick and never transforming into Anthony Munoz.

Little did I know how much I was underselling it.

10 years, multiple 1st round picks and hefty FA signings later, and we still haven’t corrected.

Hopefully Olu isn’t trash at LT like he showed at RT.

Yeah I can’t knock JD becstse even last year he was good.  I guess we got him one year too late 

• Upvote 1

He’s getting beat to his left on a consistent basis. And a lot of times, he’s not even getting 2 hands on the guy. The rusher is getting to Rodgers unabated. It’s unreal. That pressure he gave up vs highsmith which forced an incompletion on 3rd down was a game changer,imo. He’s been terrible in almost every game. 

13 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I loved the signing but holy sh*t he’s been awful.

He had a good 6-8 year period of being arguably the best in the league at handling finesse rushers.

Now he looks like his legs are stuck in JIF.

I said when Brick retired that Jets fans would immediately miss him, despite many dogging him for years for being a Top 5 pick and never transforming into Anthony Munoz.

Little did I know how much I was underselling it.

10 years, multiple 1st round picks and hefty FA signings later, and we still haven’t corrected.

Hopefully Olu isn’t trash at LT like he showed at RT.

I loved Brick. The presence of he and Mangold always guaranteed the Jets would have solid O line play. Tanny did more in that one draft to build a sustainable offensive line than Douglas has done in all of his drafts combined. Becton over Wirfs still makes me mad.

• Upvote 2

Okay, smith hasn’t been as good as was even last season.  But remember he’s also playing on an oline that was pretty much overhauled this past off season and it takes any player some time to adapt. And the jets haven’t been providing him with help preferring to keep him on an island.  Plus let’s not forget the Steelers hare two very good edge rushers and  the jets chose to concentrate on watts.

• Haha 1

I loved Brick. The presence of he and Mangold always guaranteed the Jets would have solid O line play. Tanny did more in that one draft to build a sustainable offensive line than Douglas has done in all of his drafts combined. Becton over Wirfs still makes me mad.
Unfortunately it all ended there for Tanny ... And the clown show ensued.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't feel like it is. Smith is performing as our worst o-lineman, is protecting an old QBs blindside and we drafted his position 11th overall. Seems like a perfectly logical decision to make.

Seems logical for a message board guy to say on a HOFer -- just bench him. This is not the same as a first time interim HC actually doing the benching. Lots of downside risk too.

6 minutes ago, Vader said:

Seems logical for a message board guy to say on a HOFer -- just bench him. This is not the same as a first time interim HC actually doing the benching. Lots of downside risk too.

Smith's HOF career status has nothing to do with how he's playing this year. Ulbrich's future depends heavily on what he's able to accomplish here. I think he should be making decisions based on how players are playing this year instead of being afraid of some HOF status that doesn't impact the team or his future.

20 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Smith's HOF career status has nothing to do with how he's playing this year. Ulbrich's future depends heavily on what he's able to accomplish here. I think he should be making decisions based on how players are playing this year instead of being afraid of some HOF status that doesn't impact the team or his future.

Too bad everyone associated with this organization outside of Joe Namath, Damien Woody, Bart Scott and a handful of others end up spineless in the end.  No one ever wants to make a tough decision, say, or do anything unpopular.  They instead opt to make business decisions and lean towards self-preservation.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

yeah I mean sure. but that's the rub. does rookie interim coach without a single win have the balls to bench a HOFer signed as a main piece of the GM's offseason to protect AR's blind side -- replace him with a rookie OT that's similarly not done so great in his playing time so far? Even were it logical to an outside observer it isn't per se likely to actually happen. 

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Too bad everyone associated with this organization outside of Joe Namath, Damien Woody, Bart Scott and a handful of others end up spineless in the end.  No one ever wants to make a tough decision, say, or do anything unpopular.  They instead opt to make business decisions and lean towards self-preservation.  

this. cue the Jets theme song and run the post-show credits. that's all folks.

• Upvote 1