This is Not on Joe Douglas

2 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Everyone has a hand in this disaster. While JD has added talent to this team, he failed in two of the largest areas, QB and HC.

His pick of Zach at the # 2 pick started a domino effect at QB that leads us to where we are today. Also his hiring of Robert Saleh, a good coordinator but a poor HC, also has contributed to our current situation.

Everyone from ownership down owns this.

sure douglas has a hand in the issues mainly because he hired saleh.  but that doesn't mean he could actually fire saleh unless woody gave him the okay.  i seriously doubt woody would've wanted to pay saleh's salary had he been fired at the end of year two.  instead they threw out milfy (and not without reason) when the bigger issue was saleh.  and saleh was just recently fired by woody directly.

2 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

JD drafted epic bust Zach Wilson at 2….not his fault?

JD drafted epic bust Becton at 11….not his fault?

JD hired Robert Saleh. Not his fault?

JD massively downgraded the Dline this year with a stupid trade for JFM. Not his fault? 

JD failed to bring in a competent back up in 2023 which is prob why we miss the playoffs. Not his fault?

JD drafted Corley who he is keeping hidden in a closet an all in year. Not his fault? 

JD spent 2nd rounds picks in consecutive years on WRs. One was Moore the other Mimms. Not his fault?

JD drafted DE sensation Zuniga and RB sensation Perine with a 4th. Not his fault?

I could go on with some odd transactions as well. 

Listen he had a good 2022 draft. No one will deny that. However this year has exposed the Jets as a rotten culture with a lack lack luster attitude from this roster. We can’t all say “it starts at the top” and then just skip the GM of the football team who stood next to saleh for most of training camp practices etc. This team has no identity and I think JD has missed on alot of picks and acquisitions. Is he the worst GM in the league? No, but is he top 10? Not even close. He’s a mediocre GM who deserves to be fired if the Jets can’t make the playoffs. 

Pretzel With Agenda Writes  A tl:dr Blasting Pretzel Baker FILM AT 11

Id bet that if questioned under oath both Saleh and Douglas would say their biggest mistake was boarding that plane at the behest of Woody to go woo Aaron Rodgers.   Anything they had hoped or planned on building was dead at that point.  All the other mistakes including drafting Wilson could have been overcome - look at the disaster trade that SF made for Trey Lance as the proof of that.  Should have admitted the mistake at QB and gotten another veteran that didn’t cost us huge draft capital but even more so didn’t require we rip apart the entire team to accommodate them.  
It was salvageable but they sold their souls I’m guessing under the guide of keeping their jobs - they should’ve pushed back it was career defining and they should have stuck to their principles.  They will both pay the price.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

No that's not the problem.  The problem is the NFL has rigged the league to get teams like the Jets into the playoffs at least once every 3 years.  All the GM has to do is take the Chalk picks.  If a draft has a QB who isn't a chalk pick but other teams are willing to trade valuable assetts for the pick you trade it.   

The other thing the GM must do is put in a deep quality coaching staff to develop talent and scheme all sides of the ball to each opponent.  Clearly something the Jets haven't done.  The idea of a CEO HC who's job it is to develop culture is ass backwards.  The job is developing talent and putting it in position to win matchups and games.   Winning or lossing defines the culture not folk dancing.

A computer could make the draft picks.  The FA's is more complicated but again the league is rigged to favor teams like the Jets.  Bad teams should have more cap room to deploy.  JD had plenty of cap to deploy.

Not making the playoffs after 3 to 4 years is the sign of a very bad program.   The record is terrible and he has had all the tools necessary to develop a playoff team at least once already.

Instead we have a team on a hail marry 1 year program without a future QB and dwindeling assetts.  After 4 plus years enough is enough.

Gotta agree there. Despite the many - and legitimate - gripes about the calls, if the NFL didn't think Jets = ratings then they wouldn't be on prime time so often. Owners of course wanting their own teams' successes aside, as a whole the league and absolutely the networks would LOVE for the Jets to be in the playoffs + beyond. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Id bet that if questioned under oath both Saleh and Douglas would say their biggest mistake was boarding that plane at the behest of Woody to go woo Aaron Rodgers.   Anything they had hoped or planned on building was dead at that point.  All the other mistakes including drafting Wilson could have been overcome - look at the disaster trade that SF made for Trey Lance as the proof of that.  Should have admitted the mistake at QB and gotten another veteran that didn’t cost us huge draft capital but even more so didn’t require we rip apart the entire team to accommodate them.  
It was salvageable but they sold their souls I’m guessing under the guide of keeping their jobs - they should’ve pushed back it was career defining and they should have stuck to their principles.  They will both pay the price.  

saleh needed to understand his own limitations before he took the job and hired all of his besties.  if saleh was truly competent then he would've realized that all of the players need good coaching and he needed to be the head coach of the offense and the defense.

21 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sam still sucks and it took Geno 9 years to become a below average starter.  If they’re the poster boys for “patience”, f**kin have at it.  

I agree, yeah Darnold can flash and look good sometimes but let's pump the brakes. Sam and Geno are still 3rd tier starters/ bridge qbs

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Joe Douglas is a glorified scout at this point.

He hides all year.

He takes no leadership in this organization.

Woody has essentially cut his knees out on the last three big decisions. (Davante Adams, Hassan Reddick reinstated, firing Saleh)

All in on the Rodgers fail.

His drafting has been lousy overall.

His FA signings have often failed.

He has made a few good moves and had some good drafted players. 

As I've said repeatedly he is an excellent gm at about 50% of what a GM needs to do but he is so utterly horrible at the other 50% of what a GM needs to be good at that you get what you see.  a perpetual 7 win team

Lets Go Eating GIF by BYU Cougars

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He hides all year.

Woody has essentially cut his knees out on the last three big decisions. (Davante Adams, Hassan Reddick reinstated, firing Saleh)

As I've said repeatedly he is an excellent gm at about 50% of what a GM needs to do but he is so utterly horrible at the other 50% of what a GM needs to be good at that you get what you see.  a perpetual 7 win team

It’s tough to know who’s responsible for him having zero public presence. Hes  basically a ghost. But I’m sure the executive staff tells him what to do in that respect. When he made the comment about YAC translating from college to the pros for Corley I was like wow this guy really doesn’t even know football that well

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

It’s tough to know who’s responsible for him having zero public presence. Hes  basically a ghost. But I’m sure the executive staff tells him what to do in that respect. When he made the comment about YAC translating from college to the pros for Corley I was like wow this guy really doesn’t even know football that well

I think Corley would do fine if he played but they do have wrs ahead of him on the depth chart now.  There’s never coordination between the coaches and gm here. 

If you want to blame GM Joe Douglas that is on you!!! But the one that should get most of the blame is owner Woody Johnson!!!!

GM Joe Douglas doesn't have final say in any decision, Woody has the final say and makes a lot of the decisions. Remember it was Woody's idea to bring QB Bret Favre, QB Tim Tebow, CB Darrell Revis (second term), QB Aaron Rodgers, WR Allan Lazard and OC Nathaniel Hackett. Joe Douglas wanted to sign Derek Carr which would of help the team develop a QB in the meantime, but Woody had his sights on and only on Aaron Rodgers. Why do you think Hackett and Lazard were signed by the Jets? It was to bring Aaron Rodgers to the Jets!!!! 

I can't put all the blame on Joe Douglas, because when he took over this team had nothing!!! No talent, no franchise players or anything that looked like a talented roster. Sure, he misfired on a few draft picks, Becton was something no one would have predicted. No one expected him to injure his leg in consecutive years and miss the seasons. What the coaching staff or a smart head coach should have done is move him to the guard position until he can play the tackle position. Look at Philadelphia that's what they did, and he is doing good at that position. QB Zack Wilson should have been holding the clipboard and learning the offense instead of starting. Wilson was rushed by Woody just to sell PSLs and Saleh was following orders of Woody. 

Now look at this team as a whole, I believe this is going to be Aaron Rodgers final year as a Jet and will retire. Everyone can thank owner Woody Johnson because there is no future QB waiting in the wings. What is also going to be gone is the whole coaching staff!!! Again, the rotating door will be spinning a new coach. (Anyone notices that every 4 years the Jets have to hire a new head coach and staff). Gone is Saleh and the rest of his staff!!! Guess what the GM will have to hire another head coach with no head coaching experience probably a offensive or a defensive coordinator. The GM won't be hiring a veteran head coach like a Belichek or Vrabel with experience because Woody wants a head coach with no prior experience. (Look at the past coaches all with no experience, Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan, and Robert Saleh only one who was experienced and failed was Adam Gase). 

I can't put the full blame on Joe Douglas at all, he is taking orders from meddling owner Woody Johnson!!! If Douglas gets fired also then this team will start again rebuilding with a new GM and head coach for another 4 years, then it starts all over again with a different GM and head coach.

• Thumb Down 3

8 hours ago, jamesr said:

At the time, Darnold had done next to nothing and a decision was imminent on his option year. Darnold went on to be meh for the next several years until a hot 5-0 start this year. Would we (the fans) have accepted signing him to a sizable deal based on his record at that point in time?

Most of this board wanted Darnold gone, patience was mostly gone. The only reason the decision looks poorer in hindsight is due to Zach, not Darnold.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Do you really think his deal would have been sizeable had we kept him?  This is not much of an arguement.  I was for keeping Sam and getting a haul for the #2 pick which was def out there.  Woulda, coulda, shouda, water under the bridge now.   Overall I'd resign JD, worts and all.    

• Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, AL047 said:

If you want to blame GM Joe Douglas that is on you!!! But the one that should get most of the blame is owner Woody Johnson!!!!

GM Joe Douglas doesn't have final say in any decision, Woody has the final say and makes a lot of the decisions. Remember it was Woody's idea to bring QB Bret Favre, QB Tim Tebow, CB Darrell Revis (second term), QB Aaron Rodgers, WR Allan Lazard and OC Nathaniel Hackett. Joe Douglas wanted to sign Derek Carr which would of help the team develop a QB in the meantime, but Woody had his sights on and only on Aaron Rodgers. Why do you think Hackett and Lazard were signed by the Jets? It was to bring Aaron Rodgers to the Jets!!!! 

I can't put all the blame on Joe Douglas, because when he took over this team had nothing!!! No talent, no franchise players or anything that looked like a talented roster. Sure, he misfired on a few draft picks, Becton was something no one would have predicted. No one expected him to injure his leg in consecutive years and miss the seasons. What the coaching staff or a smart head coach should have done is move him to the guard position until he can play the tackle position. Look at Philadelphia that's what they did, and he is doing good at that position. QB Zack Wilson should have been holding the clipboard and learning the offense instead of starting. Wilson was rushed by Woody just to sell PSLs and Saleh was following orders of Woody. 

Now look at this team as a whole, I believe this is going to be Aaron Rodgers final year as a Jet and will retire. Everyone can thank owner Woody Johnson because there is no future QB waiting in the wings. What is also going to be gone is the whole coaching staff!!! Again, the rotating door will be spinning a new coach. (Anyone notices that every 4 years the Jets have to hire a new head coach and staff). Gone is Saleh and the rest of his staff!!! Guess what the GM will have to hire another head coach with no head coaching experience probably a offensive or a defensive coordinator. The GM won't be hiring a veteran head coach like a Belichek or Vrabel with experience because Woody wants a head coach with no prior experience. (Look at the past coaches all with no experience, Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan, and Robert Saleh only one who was experienced and failed was Adam Gase). 

I can't put the full blame on Joe Douglas at all, he is taking orders from meddling owner Woody Johnson!!! If Douglas gets fired also then this team will start again rebuilding with a new GM and head coach for another 4 years, then it starts all over again with a different GM and head coach.

TLDR:

”Good” moves = all JD

Failed moves = woody meddling 

🙄

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, JetsFanatic said:

Everyone has a hand in this disaster. While JD has added talent to this team, he failed in two of the largest areas, QB and HC.

His pick of Zach at the # 2 pick started a domino effect at QB that leads us to where we are today. Also his hiring of Robert Saleh, a good coordinator but a poor HC, also has contributed to our current situation.

Everyone from ownership down owns this.

His domino started at Becton.    JD’s drafts are mind boggling. 6 years in our OL is still a mess.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He hides all year.

No idea how you get to 50%, frankly. He’s gotten us a handful of good players that cannot play as one. In 6 years. 

@JiFtheOracle  and I could build a better roster in a 1/4 of that time.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Corleys issues is rodgers and the offense, i bet if rodgers leaves and we get some innovation in here he will be good.

Guys like this?  Just get him the damn ball, look at Deebo?  They just get him the ball, nothing fancy, RB carries, sweeps, short passes

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Corleys issues is rodgers and the offense, i bet if rodgers leaves and we get some innovation in here he will be good.

Guys like this?  Just get him the damn ball, look at Deebo?  They just get him the ball, nothing fancy, RB carries, sweeps, short passes

Corley is likely not an NFL caliber player. Deebo was a great college player. Corley isn’t playing because he probably doesn’t belong. They’re not keeping him off of the field for the hell of it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sam still sucks and it took Geno 9 years to become a below average starter.  If they’re the poster boys for “patience”, f**kin have at it.  

They're the poster boys for the Jets wrecking QBs who then have to he fixed by moving on to an NFL team.

But keep telling yourself the Jets aren't the problem.

• Thumb Down 2

Just now, AFJF said:

They're the poster boys for the Jets wrecking QBs who then have to he fixed by moving on to an NFL team.

But keep telling yourself the Jets aren't the problem.

The Jets are indeed the problem.  They keep drafting sh*tty QBs high in the draft and passing/missing out on good ones.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

This is more on the coaching staff than the GM good teams with great coaches always adjust to weaknesses . What did our coaching staff do ? Nothing !!!

Remember when KC had a terrible defense ? So they built up the defense at the coast of the best WR in football who went to Miami making that WR room pretty pedestrian for a few years. But that defense stepped up !!  The offensive coaching staff meaning Andy Reid got creative even when their OL was in  shambles. When you fill holes in the NFL sometimes you create some this is not on the GM its 100% on a terrible coaching staff.

All you have to do is look at KC and even the Ravens which is the perfect example on how to cover up weaknesses. The one year they could not cover it up was when they lost the SB to the Eagles and the OL which was bad got exposed. This happens to all the good teams in the NFL and its easy to point to the GM but in reality Joe Douglas built a talented roster. Our coaching staff can't even get anything out of the stronger parts of our roster so no one should be surprised we can't help or change things up in the weak areas and the defensive line is a testament to that. Even in the year when KC had the bad OL they were able to adjust and with that bad OL they made it to the SB sure they have a great QB but even he could not overcome that bad OL play in the SB vs the Eagles.

This interim HC Jeff Ulbrick will not be around long and IMHO the Jets will retain Joe Douglas at the end of the year and the entire staff will be gone if they dont get on some kind of winning streak to save this season. Funny thing, they blitzed vs the Patriots then never really did it again, They also seemed to have figured out the offense with more motiong and misdirection and that went in the toilet as well sorry but thats coaching not Joe Douglas.

The coaching staff is terrible, but more importantly the schemes are completely brain dead, and our staff believes in their system not game planning or adjustments 

However JD is equally bad. Essentially he had 1 good draft with all super high picks, made 1 excellent signing in DJ Reed and hit on a late round pick in MC2 but otherwise he has been abysmal. In no way should he be retained. He us equally at fault here.

Oh and he had 1 good trade for Jamal but terrible trades consistently otherwise.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

It's like that Seinfeld episode when Kramer worked at that law firm and office but nobody knew it and he was never getting a check LMFAO 😅 

• Upvote 1