The 2006 NYJ have to make a run at the playoffs

Tinstar2

Senior you will forgive me but there was a HC here who the Fan base thought was a clueless nitwit,and he started 6 new defensive starters after a 6-10 season with a 1st time DC and almost went to the AFC championship game with a QB whose arm was hanging by a tread,and an OC disliked as much as the HC.That same yr,Brandon Moore was a 1st yr starter and Pete Kendall was new to the team.

You brought up Herman Edwards TWICE and you say "you don't care". :rolleyes:

Nobody else was talking about Herm until you brought him up (TWICE).

But you don't care. Riiiiiiiiight.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You brought up Herman Edwards TWICE and you say "you don't care". :rolleyes:

Nobody else was talking about Herm until you brought him up (TWICE).

But you don't care. Riiiiiiiiight.

Look,I'm not looking for an arguement,just conversation.This entire post was about the expectations that were place on the 2005 Herman Edwards led Jets vs the expectations that i place on the 2006 Mangini led Jets.The name had to come up for this to even make sense.Also Savage asked me about mourning Herm and i responded.

I'm a Jet fan,and that's the only pro football team that matters to me.I don't care if the Chiefs finish 1st last or in between.I thought the treatment of Herman Edwards was unfair,and I thought he should have been allowed to be the HC of the Jets this yr.

The Jets traded him for a Pick because he wanted out.To me that means he quit on my team.I have no use for quitters,but that doesn't mean that this post didn't raise a legitimate question.

If you want me to answer a question,here is my answer.The Chiefs right now appear to be a better team than the Jets .Their QB situation is settled,their have a pro Bowl RB and one hell of an OL that has been together for yrs.The biggest hurdle will be maintain the high level on offense with a new OC.

Their defense appears to be in as big a state of flux as ours but their STs with is top shelve.They have to play against the Chargers,Raiders and Broncos while we play against the Pats Bills and Dolfags. Right now,I would say that their schedule is tougher than ours,but you never know how the season will playout.

I hope that helps or answers your question.

Back when Bill Cowher was hired by the Steelers, he had this to say to the players upon his arrival. "Get your expectations up, ya can't achieve a goal that ya do not have". Why the hell not expect the playoffs this year if you are the Jets? In today's NFL, it can be turned around pretty quickly with some added talent and MOTIVATION.

My Reasoning is simple.

Last yr was the yr of no excuses .

This yr,the Offensive line is stronger.Exit Fabini and Mawae,enter Ferguson,Mangold,Teague and Clements

The receivers are the same

The QB situation is better/Chad was coming off shoulder surgery last yr also.Ramsey is as good as Fielder in some eyes,not mine.Bollinger:) has starting experience,something he didn't last yr.Clements is the new golden boy.

The Rbs are improved and all healthy.

The defensive Line is missing ABe but so what,the team is switching to the 34defense.

The LBers are improved

The secondary is Improved

The Coaching Staff has the support of the fan base.

You make changes to improve,not get worst.I'm not saying like most did last yr that the Jets need to make the SB,or that they even need to make the Playoffs.I expect this team to make a run at those Playoffs and anything short of that will be a failure.

Open your eyes man. Pennington is coming off the same surgery again and if we are comparing Ramsey to Fiedler that is really nothing to be excited about.

The RB's were healthy before last season too.

We have too many changes in the COaching staff, front office, and players to legitametly make a run at the playoffs. Hope for 7-9 and don't be upset if we are 4-12. Our offense won't be that much better this year because it takes time for rookies to adjust and gel, and besides that Trey Teague and that bum we got to play tackle aren't going to make that big of a difference if any at all.

Wishful thinking is one thing but saying that we NEED to make the playoffs or even go .500 is simply not being realistic.

Back when Bill Cowher was hired by the Steelers, he had this to say to the players upon his arrival. "Get your expectations up, ya can't achieve a goal that ya do not have". Why the hell not expect the playoffs this year if you are the Jets? In today's NFL, it can be turned around pretty quickly with some added talent and MOTIVATION.

I agree StillerPaul in the sense that you can have making the playoffs as a goal. But to think we are a playoff contender on paper without seeing anything from the team and months before the season started its hard to think we improved the team that much from last year.

With that said making the playoffs isn't a goal I would set for the team... I want to see the Jets in the Super Bowl. I've seen the Jets as playoff contenders and I always feel short changed when we don't make it to the big game.

The expectations I have are up. They are up around 6-10, 8-8 but there is a clear distinction between expectations and goals.

Open your eyes man. Pennington is coming off the same surgery again and if we are comparing Ramsey to Fiedler that is really nothing to be excited about.

The RB's were healthy before last season too.

We have too many changes in the COaching staff, front office, and players to legitametly make a run at the playoffs. Hope for 7-9 and don't be upset if we are 4-12. Our offense won't be that much better this year because it takes time for rookies to adjust and gel, and besides that Trey Teague and that bum we got to play tackle aren't going to make that big of a difference if any at all.

Wishful thinking is one thing but saying that we NEED to make the playoffs or even go .500 is simply not being realistic.

My friend If i may be so bold,there's alot of fence sitting waiting to give glory if things turn out better than expected in the land of the NYJ right now.This is my expectations for the Jets of 2006,and if yours are different,that's fine.Last season Chad was coming back from Shoulder surgery also,and had much less time to get ready than he did for this coming season.Fabini was coming in with Back problems,and we were about to start a 1st time OT with far less experience at the position than AJ had previously.Every single board i visited had the expectations for a trip to the SB with no Excuses accepted.

All i want is to see this team make a run at the playoffs the way the dolfags did last yr.They kept their season interesting going into december.What exactly is wrong with those expectations when compared to the expectations from last yr.

I thought the treatment of Herman Edwards was unfair,and I thought he should have been allowed to be the HC of the Jets this yr.

Wasn't Hermy the scumbag who was negotiating his move to the Chiefs all the while still under contract with the Jets?

How the hell was that unfair?

Wasn't Hermy the scumbag who was negotiating his move to the Chiefs all the while still under contract with the Jets?

The Jets kept his barbecue utensils and matching apron?

By the Fans TX,will you pay attention please and long before this last season.Herman Edwards was the Barry switzer of the Jets.He followed the guy who changed everything about the Jets,and he by his demeanor,never had a chance.

This is going somewhere i never wanted it to go,so I think i will stop right here.

My friend If i may be so bold,there's alot of fence sitting waiting to give glory if things turn out better than expected in the land of the NYJ right now.This is my expectations for the Jets of 2006,and if yours are different,that's fine.Last season Chad was coming back from Shoulder surgery also,and had much less time to get ready than he did for this coming season.Fabini was coming in with Back problems,and we were about to start a 1st time OT with far less experience at the position than AJ had previously.Every single board i visited had the expectations for a trip to the SB with no Excuses accepted.

All i want is to see this team make a run at the playoffs the way the dolfags did last yr.They kept their season interesting going into december.What exactly is wrong with those expectations when compared to the expectations from last yr.

I don't want to shoot down your hopes and dreams and I appreciate your optimism, but all I am saying is that the playoffs are not a MUST situation for the Jets.

Yes Chad is coming back with more time to rehab this time and thats a good thing, but its also his second surgery on that same throwing shoulder in the past 2 seasons. Now I don't claim to be a doctor but just because he has more time to come back from it this time doesn't exactly make the fact that he had it sit well with me. Keep in mind we are talking about a QB that had people questioning his arm before these 2 surgerys. Now I hope that Chad makes a full recovery and does well next season because Chad is a good guy and regardless of what many people think of him as a player hes a class act.

Thing is our offensive line could be better than last year but it also could take some time. I'm not saying its impossible to make a run at the playoffs like the fins did last year but I just don't think those are realistic expectations. Wiht that said I hope your right and I'm wrong but I've found that having small expectations won't set you up for a big let down.

• 5 months later...
1) Why do you guys continue to use the ridiculous "last place schedule" comment? The Jets play the exact same schedule as the Pats, with the exception of 2 games. That is hardly some "big advantage".

2). Hate to break it to you bit, but the Pats will once again be prohibitive favorites to win the AFCE.

Thought this would clear some things up today since I keep hearing about how bad the Jets' opponents have been this year.:P

They are 5-22 to be exact.

The teams that the Jets have 4 wins against.

Nice work Tx. :rolleyes:

And to think that I expected to see you try and break down the increase in difficulty for the Pat's schedule based on the two different opponents the Pat's are facing this year in comparison to the Jets. Silly me.;)

Nice work Tx. :rolleyes:

And to think that I expected to see you try and break down the increase in difficulty for the Pat's schedule based on the two different opponents the Pat's are facing this year in comparison to the Jets. Silly me.;)

The Pats play the Broncos and Bengals, while the Jets play the Browns and Raiders.

How many wins do the Browns and Raiders have?

Oh yea, two more 1-win teams.

The Pats play the Broncos and Bengals, while the Jets play the Browns and Raiders.

Addaboy!!! That's what I'm talking about.

Too late though, I'm already basking in the glow of finding this thread with our wonderful (and free) search feature!;)

You know his collar is getting tight when he starts crying about the schedule. :D

The composite record of the teams the Pats have beat is 11-16

(13-21 if you count the Bills twice for two of the wins)

So now you're contaradicting what you said earlier this thread that our schedule doesn't help us.

• 2 months later...
1) Why do you guys continue to use the ridiculous "last place schedule" comment? The Jets play the exact same schedule as the Pats, with the exception of 2 games. That is hardly some "big advantage".

2). Hate to break it to you bit, but the Pats will once again be prohibitive favorites to win the AFCE.

Sorry to bump another old thread folks, but I think this may very well be my favorite post EVER.

No wonder TX has gone back to pissing off 14 year olds

YOu wont see a lot of the people who posted in this thread coming back to post in it again :P

I don't mind predictions being way off. I hope it doesn't seem like I bumped this thread as a way to say "I told ya so!",because I honestly thought 5-8 wins this year for the Jets. No,what entertains me is the people who don't just predict,they claim future possibilities as definite fact. They're right,you're wrong,end of discussion. Plus who doesn't enjoy looking back at some of Tx's posts from back in august/september when the Jets first showed signs they'd be more than a Brady Quinn sweepstakes candidate.

Tinstar was right. I believe he has left because of the criticism he received for being positive. In hindsight he was right though.

Just another example of why we should all respect each other and not label people for having a different opinion.

Tinstar was right. I believe he has left because of the criticism he received for being positive. In hindsight he was right though.

Just another example of why we should all respect each other and not label people for having a different opinion.

Your last sentence notwithstanding, Tinstar's opinion that most often got blasted was about Herm being such a wonderful HC. I respect his right to feel & advertise these sentiments, but he expected no one to voice dissent. And particularly after the past 12 months it was not a popular belief to have. Just like my beliefs that Herm was trash or that Martin was grossly overrated were quite unpopular the year(s) before.

But did that cause me to leave a Jets message board & start posting at another one? Huh? Did it?

:bag:

I though that guy (Tinstar) usually had pretty good stuff to say. He certainly took the devil's advocate position on a lot of issues - but you want those kind of guys around if they're not homers or trolls because quite often they're right. What I never understood was his defense of Herman the Vermin - a lot of which was based on the 3 play-off appearances in 4 years stat. I never blasted the guy (bbq) until it became very obvious his ineptitude was trending us into the toilet and the play-off appearances were more due to random astrological occurance than anything else. His colors were displayed to us and the world when he slimed his midnight KC escape. I hope Tin comes back to post at some point.

You're joking, right?:eek:

The Jets have an entire new coaching staff. That means totally new schemes on both sides of the football.

They will have two rookies starting on the OLine. Now matter how good Ferguson and Mangold will be, rookies make rookie mistakes.

The Jets have no proven RB's. And please spare me the 34-year old CuMar "is a proven NFL RB" crap. Old RB's do not make it in the NFL.

The Jets QB situation is a complete mess with a ton of unanswered question marks at the most important position on the field.

The Jets defense was ranked 29th in the NFL versus the run. The same losers who couldn't stop the run are back, minus a Pro Bowl DE. No improvement whatsoever in this area.

The Jets secondary is still very weak. Add to this the loss of a CB who contributed 10 picks and it is weaker yet going into the season.

With that said, how the hell do you think the Jets can "contend for the Super Bowl and be a playoff team" in 2006?:eek:

And you wonder why Pats fans post here and make fun of Jet fans.

If the Jets finish the season at 8-8, it will be a great year.

Your last sentence notwithstanding, Tinstar's opinion that most often got blasted was about Herm being such a wonderful HC. I respect his right to feel & advertise these sentiments, but he expected no one to voice dissent. And particularly after the past 12 months it was not a popular belief to have. Just like my beliefs that Herm was trash or that Martin was grossly overrated were quite unpopular the year(s) before.

But did that cause me to leave a Jets message board & start posting at another one? Huh? Did it?

:bag:

thats future HOF Curtis Martin to you sir

Archived