What are u listening to right now?

I love electronic music. Apple released a new commercial for their HomePod a few days ago with the song GMT - Jamie xx Remix. Kinda groovy but feels little discombobulated as a track. I found out in the YouTube comments of the song that it samples Our Prayer by The Beach Boys. Another one of my favorite artists, Odesza, samples The Beach Boys in Keep Her Close which I like a lot. 

Anyway, this is a roundabout way of saying I listened to Pet Sounds at 2AM in the dark with headphones. My dad used to play this album for me on summer vacations on Cape Cod when I was young and I always enjoyed it a lot. My favorite song was “You Still Believe in Me”. But last night “Don’t Talk, Put Your Head on my Shoulder” stopped my in my tracks. What a hauntingly beautiful song. One of those tracks that just instantly got to me. 

On 1/18/2023 at 9:25 PM, Dcat said:

trivia: Song written by David Bowie and given to Mott the Hoople as a gift.

Bowie originally offered them Suffragette City, which he had already written, but they didn't want it  Instead he agreed to write a new song for them -- All The Young Dudes.

• Upvote 1

On 1/24/2023 at 4:21 PM, Dcat said:

Wow  Yesterday was 45 years since Terry Kath passed.   He was special. 

Not forgotten.

I played in a band in college and we played with horns on occasion. NOTHING better than horns behind you , blasting Chicago while playing.  

I think about those years almost weekly.

• Upvote 1

On 1/28/2023 at 6:28 PM, southparkcpa said:

The greatest fundament guitarist, pianist and bass player that ever lived.  Nice Cab and relaxing to my heroes.

I always got a kick out of Joe Pass  Simply amazing.  I used to listen to some tapes and never really knew what he looked like as I had no album.  The first time I saw him, I thought he looked just like a butcher at a meat market , not at all close to what I imagined when I heard his music.  

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2023 at 11:16 PM, DoubleDown said:

Not sure if there are any Chili Peppers fans in here, but their latest album is damn good.

I didn't love either of the 2 new albums.  Though I hope they make more because I'm still hopeful they can make more classics.  In the meantime, this is an interesting video of John Frusciante at age 17 (pre-RHCP) playing in a style that we've never really seen him play since.

• Upvote 1