The Jets are a team in rebuilding mode.

Barton

Sorry, but get used to it.

You maroons who felt going 10-6 last year meant we were a playoff contender in 2007 were blind.

Take your "Mangini should be fired if he doesnt fix the defense now" bullcrap, and shove it up your a##.

2009 and beyond. Get used to it. Embrace it.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You maroons who felt going 10-6 last year meant we were a playoff contender in 2007 were blind.

Take your "Mangini should be fired if he doesnt fix the defense now" bullcrap, and shove it up your a##.

fFine but if we are rebuilding ,why isn`t Kellen C. in then.....

fFine but if we are rebuilding ,why isn`t Kellen C. in then.....

Because the team is not completely in rebuilding mode and hasnt been. it is half in rebuilding and half in trying to replicate what they did last year. The CS tried to hedge its bets, but ending up busting.

Because the team is not completely in rebuilding mode and hasnt been. it is half in rebuilding and half in trying to replicate what they did last year. The CS tried to hedge its bets, but ending up busting.

i don't think so JC - i usually agree with you but not here. this FO/CS thought they had a playoff team and is finding out how wrong they were. for the first time in 2 years i really think tannenbaum/mangini are in over their heads.

i don't think so JC - i usually agree with you but not here. this FO/CS thought they had a playoff team and is finding out how wrong they were. for the first time in 2 years i really think tannenbaum/mangini are in over their heads.

dude you need to take a chill pill and get some sleep.

Well, thanks for usually agreeing with me :-P

but I am not disagreeing with you here. I actually said the same thing as you in another thread just now- I'll try to find it after this post.

They are rebuilding to the extent of still trying to implement the 3-4 with what were 4-3 players, so to that extent, that is how i am defining rebuilding.

But they are staying the course by playing the vet QB rather than going with the untested QB.

It's been a clusterfvck this year because the defense is still porous, and the offense that clicked in some ways last season has flopped the last two games.

This is what i wrote in that other post, replying to LJ:

Originally Posted by Lady Jet

I can totally understand why Mangini chose Pennington over a rookie last year. His decision is now much more difficult. Well, maybe not now, but it was week 1.

----

Agreed, it was a no-brainer starting CP last year. And it was the right move to start him this season in the opener against New England.

If the CS thought they could duplicate last year's record or do better this year with 20 of 22 of the same starters, I completely understand that.

But after the last two games, it is clear that what they accomplished last year is not going to replicate itself. Pennington had his shot at it this year, and hasnt gotten it done. Time for mangini to realize that and make his next move.

------------------

Fo, its not exactly what you said, but I agree that they thought they could get it done again with what they were doing last year- rebuild the D while keeping CP at QB. If they were in complete rebuilding mode, they'd have gone with Clemens at the start of the season.

Well, thanks for usually agreeing with me :-P

but I am not disagreeing with you here. I actually said the same thing as you in another thread just now- I'll try to find it after this post.

They are rebuilding to the extent of still trying to implement the 3-4 with what were 4-3 players, so to that extent, that is how i am defining rebuilding.

But they are staying the course by playing the vet QB rather than going with the untested QB.

It's been a clusterfvck this year because the defense is still porous, and the offense that clicked in some ways last season has flopped the last two games.

i am so down on the CS right now. mangini came in as the anti-herm and 1 full season became him. mangini came in talking about competition and at some point started accepting mediocrity. hobson, vilma, pennington, clement, barret, dyson.....just about all of them. instead of trying to find someone who can do the job the jets seem to be accepting average. $25M to b thomas based on 10 good games last year. trading for a 30 year-old RB. going into a season with clement, moore, and clarke as starters on the same line. these things are inexcusable.

this team has absolutely no identity. they want to play power football but don't have the horses. then they want to get cute with all these fancy QB sneaks b/c the CS doesn't have confidence that they can make a 3rd and 2. then with a 10 point lead and the ball they run 3 times for no gain and punt. 28 minutes left in the game is a little too soon to ice the clock. this team coached scared today. the same way herm used to.

i am so down on the CS right now. this team coached scared today. the same way herm used to.

I think everyone is. They have no sack. It's as though mangin's testicles shriveled up. I couldnt believe they punted from vaginants territory in the 4th quarter. no balls.

and i havent even been able to bring myself to talk about the execution yet. three horrible ints. dyson pussyfooting with the WR and letting him blow by him for a TD. Kenyon and BT getting sealed off every time they ran wide. nuge missing another fg.

maybe tomorrow...

This offense was built for Kellen Clemens. Not Chad Pennington.

The time is now. Put Clemens in. Rebuild both sides of the ball at the same time, like you are supposed to do. This way, if things pan out we will be ready to rock in 2009/10 and beyond.

This is not a one year fix either, too many holes on this team to expect us to fill them all in one offseason unless we spend wild in free agency and pluck some gems in the draftwho contribute right away.

Next year will be another down year.

Absolutely.

And the 2008 offseason will be absolutely critical for the success/failure of Tangini. They need to get some positions filled in free agency, and there are going to be some good young players out there up for grabs.

The Jets could take another step in their rebuilding if they pulled the trigger on a trade for one of their vets between now and the deadline next week, even for a draft pick or two.

The FO should be on the phones this week.

i am so down on the CS right now. mangini came in as the anti-herm and 1 full season became him. mangini came in talking about competition and at some point started accepting mediocrity. hobson, vilma, pennington, clement, barret, dyson.....just about all of them. instead of trying to find someone who can do the job the jets seem to be accepting average. $25M to b thomas based on 10 good games last year. trading for a 30 year-old RB. going into a season with clement, moore, and clarke as starters on the same line. these things are inexcusable.

this team has absolutely no identity. they want to play power football but don't have the horses. then they want to get cute with all these fancy QB sneaks b/c the CS doesn't have confidence that they can make a 3rd and 2. then with a 10 point lead and the ball they run 3 times for no gain and punt. 28 minutes left in the game is a little too soon to ice the clock. this team coached scared today. the same way herm used to.

I don't think we're being 100 % fair. The Jets have not shown much confidence in most of those scrubs. As for Barrett/Dyson they did draft Revis. Pennington? They have Clemens in the wings, but qbs need time to develop. Clement wasn't resigned until they had already tried and failed with Colombo and there were very few other options out there. Hobson/Vilma? They added Harris and signed about 45 guys to try for OLB. None stuck except Bowens who should be considered a bit of a project since he played with his hand in the dirt most of his career. Starting Clarke actually comes from the "refusing to accept mediocrity" of ditching Kendall rather than paying him. I've never been a fan of Thomas, but I don't think you can find too many people complaining about that deal when it was made. Ditto the Jones move.

This FO is usually pretty tightlipped. Just because they have these guys on the roster and don't bad mouth them does not mean they are satisfied. I also would have liked more sweeping changes,but a 10-6 team shouldn't go in the tank this bad without losing some pieces. These were winnable games.

thankyou finally somebody who has a normal size brain

I'm one of the people that said the Jets were rebuilding, but I disagree with you here.

What has Mangini done to make you think he can rebuild this team? Bring in stud free agents like Kimo, Kassell, Chatham, and Poteat? Trade draft picks for beasts like Thomas Jones, Kevan Barlow, and Bobby Hamilton? We had the cap room to do something this offseason and Mangini brought in the same type of bargain bin free agents he did in year one.

Mangini approached the offseason like he was one of the blind fools you're bashing. Rebuilding teams don't trade away their entire draft for two players. They don't trade high draft picks for 29-year old running backs.

Mangini has not shown me dick in terms of being a talent evaluator. He has had two years to bring in guys that fit this defense: how many has he brought in? One? I don't trust Mangini to blow the team up because he had a 10-6 season with a cupcake schedule and drafted Leon Washington in the 4th round. IIRC, it was Herman Edwards that drafted Kerry Rhodes in the 4th round. The moral of the story: even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

Wasn't the original plan for the Jets to suck last year, hover around .500 this year, and then be contenders next year? Does anyone HONESTLY think step 3 is going to happen? This team is no better off than it was on the day Mangini was hired. At this point, the rebuilding plan has been a complete failure.

I'm one of the people that said the Jets were rebuilding, but I disagree with you here.

What has Mangini done to make you think he can rebuild this team? Bring in stud free agents like Kimo, Kassell, Chatham, and Poteat? Trade draft picks for beasts like Thomas Jones, Kevan Barlow, and Bobby Hamilton? We had the cap room to do something this offseason and Mangini brought in the same type of bargain bin free agents he did in year one.

Mangini approached the offseason like he was one of the blind fools you're bashing. Rebuilding teams don't trade away their entire draft for two players. They don't trade high draft picks for 29-year old running backs.

Mangini has not shown me dick in terms of being a talent evaluator. He has had two years to bring in guys that fit this defense: how many has he brought in? One? I don't trust Mangini to blow the team up because he had a 10-6 season with a cupcake schedule and drafted Leon Washington in the 4th round. IIRC, it was Herman Edwards that drafted Kerry Rhodes in the 4th round. The moral of the story: even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

Wasn't the original plan for the Jets to suck last year, hover around .500 this year, and then be contenders next year? Does anyone HONESTLY think step 3 is going to happen? This team is no better off than it was on the day Mangini was hired. At this point, the rebuilding plan has been a complete failure.

Guys like Poteat, Kimo, Chatham and Kassell werent brought in to be saviours or long term answers. They are just reserves and special teams players. Kimo didnt work out, that is true, but he wasnt a long term answer.

The 1st offseason in 2006 and the 1st season was seeing which players on the Jets can play in the 3-4 (Vilma? Ellis? Thomas? Hobson? Drob?). Some of those questions were answered (Thomas can, Hobson can to some extent as well as Ellis, Vilma cannot nor Drob). He also took a 4-12 team in the offseason with a horrible Oline and drafted acouple of very good players in Dbrick and Mangold and went 10-6. His drafts have been good, even very good. Signing Andre Dyson was a good move.

The 2007 offseason he brought Kenyon Coleman on DE, who has been good. Sure, he didnt find a NT, but was there one out there? I dont think so. Then he traded up in the draft for 2 long term answers on defense in David Harris, who has showed some great things, and Darrelle Revis who also has shown great things.

The 2008 offseason is going to be vital to the success/failure of Mangini. If he sits on his hands and doesnt add anything to the puzzle and the Jets defense is still struggling in 2008, then it is time to bash him. But it is too early because a 3-4 defense takes years to put together.

And we have said if before - Kellen Clemens HAS to be the real deal or Mangini is in trouble. If Clemens is the real deal, everything else is gravy.

I guess I can't merge this one with any other of your classics.

Barton, you are brilliant! did you figure this out all on your own after the 1-4 start?

hmmmm I dunno, were you listening in the offseason this year? Because I said it then too.

Guys like Poteat, Kimo, Chatham and Kassell werent brought in to be saviours or long term answers. They are just reserves and special teams players. Kimo didnt work out, that is true, but he wasnt a long term answer.

The 1st offseason in 2006 and the 1st season was seeing which players on the Jets can play in the 3-4 (Vilma? Ellis? Thomas? Hobson? Drob?). Some of those questions were answered (Thomas can, Hobson can to some extent as well as Ellis, Vilma cannot nor Drob). He also took a 4-12 team in the offseason with a horrible Oline and drafted acouple of very good players in Dbrick and Mangold and went 10-6. His drafts have been good, even very good. Signing Andre Dyson was a good move.

The 2007 offseason he brought Kenyon Coleman on DE, who has been good. Sure, he didnt find a NT, but was there one out there? I dont think so. Then he traded up in the draft for 2 long term answers on defense in David Harris, who has showed some great things, and Darrelle Revis who also has shown great things.

The 2008 offseason is going to be vital to the success/failure of Mangini. If he sits on his hands and doesnt add anything to the puzzle and the Jets defense is still struggling in 2008, then it is time to bash him. But it is too early because a 3-4 defense takes years to put together.

And we have said if before - Kellen Clemens HAS to be the real deal or Mangini is in trouble. If Clemens is the real deal, everything else is gravy.

Agree. And yes, Clemens is critical, especially after taking a pass on Brady Quin in this last draft. If Clemens turns out to be a good one, and D'Brick improves, the first two drafts are shaping up to be great. Mangini is now suffering from the expectations of his success last year. You are not going to build a great team thru FA, and the draft takes time.

My two cents:

I think last years success -- including beating the Pats in Foxborough -- really screwed up the long term Mangini plans. All of a sudden he was the young phenom coach of a play off team and instead of maintaining the rebuilding mentality they went to a plan of tweeking last years team in an effort to return to the playoffs stronger than last year. This made them cautious. They were cautious in their off season acquisitions and in who they decided to keep.

For instance why keep Kassell and Barton? Both are in the last year of the contract, neither is going to be with the team when and if the team makes a legitimate SB run in 09 or 10. You keep them to avoid a possible drop off in effectiveness that might occur if you started D. Harris. You start Barton and Vilma like last year -- eventhough last year should have proved that that inside duo couldnt stop the run -- because you figure that they will at least give you what you had last year thus keeping you on the path that took you to the playoffs the year before. The same logic explains anointing Chad as the starter last off season -- ie he played well enough to get us to the playoffs last year and we've gotten marginally better at RB etc. therefore if we play him we dont lose anything at that position while we gain at others.

The problem with this thinking is that it is based on the assumption that players will replicate their marginal performances from the previous season. A player who is marginally successful is not guaranteed to repeat that success ( neither of course is a a player who has a great season but if they arent great they are probably at least adequate while a guy who was ok and doest repeat is terrible).

Bottom line this team was created to maintain its position as a playoff team and not to lay the foundation for greater future success. Even the top two draft picks were drafted in part because they could play this year as well as in the future.

Rebuilding?

Could you be more clear? Because if rebuilding means 2 good players out of 2 full draft years, man oh man...We're in trouble.

Nice points, but was anybody willing to cut Romeo Crennel any slack during the years it takes to put his 3-4 together? I seem to remember a lot of guys here lowering the axe.

Sure, he didnt find a NT, but was there one out there? I dont think so.

There were several NT's available in '06 and '07 who at least loosely fit the mold of a 3-4 NT. They had varying degrees of talent or gas left in the tank, but we didn't even bring in any of the over-the-hill ones to use on short-yardage, goal-line, or obvious running downs.

Ma'ake Kemoeatu (UFA)

Haloti Ngata ('06 draft)

Gabe Watson ('06 draft)

Ted Washington (UFA)

Sam Adams (UFA)

Dan Wilkinson (UFA)

Grady Jackson (UFA)

Paul Soliai ('07 draft)

Marcus Bell (UFA)

Now every single one of them isn't "the answer" here & not all are prototypical for the 3-4, but how could they draft or bring in NONE of them with a glaring hole at such a key position?

Next year there are some FA's I guess who could work out. Again, they have varying degrees of suitability for the middle of a 3-4 or in actual talent:

Albert Haynesworth (probably more suited to DE in the 3-4)

Tommy Kelly (same thing)

Pat Williams (turns 35 in 2 weeks)

Isaac Sopoaga (worth a look; he at least fits the mold at ~6'2/330 & SF plays a 3-4 so it won't be totally new to him; currently a backup on a crap team)

Ethan Kelley (see Sopoaga)

Draft: (I freely admit I have not seen these guys play; just going by size. Anyone who knows anything about them I'd love to read what you know):

Antonio Dixon, Miami - 6'3/335 (junior) - 'cane please fill us in...

B.J. Raji, B.C. - 6-1/340 (junior; academically ineligible this yr)

Frank Morton, Tulane - 6'3/327

There were several NT's available in '06 and '07 who at least loosely fit the mold of a 3-4 NT. They had varying degrees of talent or gas left in the tank, but we didn't even bring in any of the over-the-hill ones to use on short-yardage, goal-line, or obvious running downs.

Ma'ake Kemoeatu (UFA)

Haloti Ngata ('06 draft)

Gabe Watson ('06 draft)

Ted Washington (UFA)

Sam Adams (UFA)

Dan Wilkinson (UFA)

Grady Jackson (UFA)

Paul Soliai ('07 draft)

Marcus Bell (UFA)

Now every single one of them isn't "the answer" here & not all are prototypical for the 3-4, but how could they draft or bring in NONE of them with a glaring hole at such a key position?

Next year there are some FA's I guess who could work out. Again, they have varying degrees of suitability for the middle of a 3-4 or in actual talent:

Tommy Kelly (same thing)

Isaac Sopoaga (worth a look; he at least fits the mold at ~6'2/330 & SF plays a 3-4 so it won't be totally new to him; currently a backup on a crap team)

Draft: (I freely admit I have not seen these guys play; just going by size. Anyone who knows anything about them I'd love to read what you know):

potw nom.

As Sperm has said, and i second, the most glaring error of this regime is the failure to bring in a true NT in spite of their committment to install the 3-4.

As far as Dixon goes, he was doing okay, not superb, but suffered a knee injury last week, which at first was thought to be season-ending, but he is now listed as out for probably the next four weeks.

potw nom.

As Sperm has said, and i second, the most glaring error of this regime is the failure to bring in a true NT in spite of their committment to install the 3-4.

As far as Dixon goes, he was doing okay, not superb, but suffered a knee injury last week, which at first was thought to be season-ending, but he is now listed as out for probably the next four weeks.

Seems unlikely he'd come out this year then.

Get used to it??? The Jets have been rebuilding for over 20 years now?? When's the final result??? :bag:

Ma'ake Kemoeatu (UFA)

Haloti Ngata ('06 draft)

Gabe Watson ('06 draft)

Ted Washington (UFA)

Sam Adams (UFA)

Dan Wilkinson (UFA)

Grady Jackson (UFA)

Paul Soliai ('07 draft)

Marcus Bell (UFA)

Tommy Kelly (same thing)

Ma'ake Kemoeatu (UFA) = Is he actually doing anything for the Panthers?

Haloti Ngata ('06 draft) = You want him over Dbrick? This is the guy you can make a case for I suppose.

Gabe Watson ('06 draft) = Lazy nothing who is just that.

Ted Washington (UFA) = When was he a FA?? He's been on the browns the last 3 years hasnt he?

Sam Adams (UFA) = He's shot it seems. You dont just release a guy who can play NT.

Dan Wilkinson (UFA) = He sucks.

Grady Jackson (UFA) = What is he doing this year? Guy ballooned up in the offseason.

Paul Soliai ('07 draft) = He's dumber than a bag of rocks. We already have him on our roster, he's called Sione Pouha.

Marcus Bell (UFA) = He sucks too

I'd to see them reach out in the draft for a NT. Maybe BJ Raji. Haynesworth could be an option, I guess we shall see what the 2008 offseason brings us. By no means can Drob be the only option at NT in 2008. That is unacceptable baring another offseason of no NT options; there has to be somebody out there we can get in the offseason this year....? But perhaps they should go after a Pat Williams in case they dont find anybody in the draft to play NT.

Long term plans are for chumps in the NFL... its all about winning now...

2009 and beyond?

What happens in 2009 when they fix the Oline and D line... but Barton and Dyson are in a nursing home... Rhodes is nearing 30.... Eric Smith keeps getting injured... Bryan Thomas is 30 and still not great... Coles is retired... Cotch isnt fast enough to be #1... Brad Smith hasnt progressed enough to be a #1 or #2....

The problem you run into when your in the JETS situation is that half the players are good and half suck... it takes a while to replace all of the ****ty players they have... and by the time they do... the good ones will all be old and gone... then your stuck with half good half bad again...

2009 and beyond?

What happens in 2009 when they fix the Oline and D line... but Barton and Dyson are in a nursing home... Rhodes is nearing 30.... Eric Smith keeps getting injured... Bryan Thomas is 30 and still not great... Coles is retired... Cotch isnt fast enough to be #1... Brad Smith hasnt progressed enough to be a #1 or #2....

The problem you run into when your in the JETS situation is that half the players are good and half suck... it takes a while to replace all of the ****ty players they have... and by the time they do... the good ones will all be old and gone... then your stuck with half good half bad again...

LOL talk about overexaggerating. Dyson doesnt have to be on the 2009 squad. Rhodes will be like 26 in 2009 lol. Thomas can still be effective at 30 just look at the patsies LBs all over 30. Coles and Cotch will be fine as long as Chad doesnt get them killed.

When you pretend to try and "win now!!!" when you have a poor team thats when you find yourself in the cellar for the next 10 years. You gotta build thru the draft not free agency.

2009 and beyond?

Seriously!

Playing for 2009 is dumb. There is a 20% roster turnover rate on every team every year.

The key for a good coaching staff is to put the players they have NOW in the best position to win as many games as they can win NOW, and that isnt being done by this CS.

Archived