This Happens to Every Young Quarterback

Barton

Only a few people with extreme agendas are killing Clemens. JonEJet and 51800 or whatever their names are, are the only ones that come to mind.

Even a hardcore Chad supporter like ecurb isn't killing Clemens, but instead, killing Mangini and Schott. And that is something that I've obviously been doing too. This offensive gameplan and team construction is very, very troubling to me. But, it is so bad that I am beginning to think perhaps Pennington got an unfair rap. This CS is NOT putting Clemens in a position to succeed. From starting him against the Ravens D with a terrible gameplan, to refusing to put him in against weak defenses like the Bengals and Bills, to putting him in in an impossible situation against the Redskins with like 3 minutes to go down by 10. These are just terrible, terrible decisions! And to cap it off that ridiculous gameplan we just witnessed, and a steadfast refusal to move him around or throw the ball more. What are they doing out there?

This is not about Clemens. It is about Mangini. It is about Schotty Jr. I have zero faith in those two boobs to develop a QB.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only a few people with extreme agendas are killing Clemens. JonEJet and 51800 or whatever their names are, are the only ones that come to mind.

Even a hardcore Chad supporter like ecurb isn't killing Clemens, but instead, killing Mangini and Schott. And that is something that I've obviously been doing too. This offensive gameplan and team construction is very, very troubling to me. But, it is so bad that I am beginning to think perhaps Pennington got an unfair rap. This CS is NOT putting Clemens in a position to succeed. From starting him against the Ravens D with a terrible gameplan, to refusing to put him in against weak defenses like the Bengals and Bills, to putting him in in an impossible situation against the Redskins with like 3 minutes to go down by 10. These are just terrible, terrible decisions! And to cap it off that ridiculous gameplan we just witnessed, and a steadfast refusal to move him around or throw the ball more. What are they doing out there?

This is not about Clemens. It is about Mangini. It is about Schotty Jr. I have zero faith in those two boobs to develop a QB.

yea serphnx and ONE set-up screen pass today ONE! with the pass rush we were facing the last 2 weeks you'd think our genius OC and HC would realize the best way to neutralize a PR is with screens...basic football stuff they seem to have the hardest problems grasping

That is what worries me.... I losing more faith in this coaching staff and even the GM every time the Jets play. They might have an ok game while a team like the Steelers plays one of their worse games of the season and they sneak out a win. But wins like that are only good if it's built upon. Wins like that followed by 34-3 losses means you are a team not building anything.

Why do people whine? Who knows, maybe because the Jets are 2-9 and do not look like a team that will ever get to a super bowl, yet alone win one. People whine about George Bush cause he's been a bad president. Why shouldn't people whine about the Jets cause they've mostly been a bad franchise. Imagine if George Bush Jr were president for 35+ years.. I'd imagine people would be far worse than they are today.

ANd the reality is, the Jets effect many peoples lives more directly than what George Bush does or doesn't do.

That is what worries me.... I losing more faith in this coaching staff and even the GM every time the Jets play. They might have an ok game while a team like the Steelers plays one of their worse games of the season and they sneak out a win. But wins like that are only good if it's built upon. Wins like that followed by 34-3 losses means you are a team not building anything.

Why do people whine? Who knows, maybe because the Jets are 2-9 and do not look like a team that will ever get to a super bowl, yet alone win one. People whine about George Bush cause he's been a bad president. Why shouldn't people whine about the Jets cause they've mostly been a bad franchise. Imagine if George Bush Jr were president for 35+ years.. I'd imagine people would be far worse than they are today.

ANd the reality is, the Jets effect many peoples lives more directly than what George Bush does or doesn't do.

Very profound.

That is what I've been harping on for weeks. This CS is NOT, and has not put the players in the best position to succeed, almost across the board. Imo, so much of the Jets' execution and scheme failures are directly tied into the coaching.

Barton do me a favor will ya? Please stop calling people stupid and idiots and tools-it's getting old-do it for the sake of the board-it's bad enough we have to suffer through this horrible and maybe worst ever Jets season without us getting on each other's nerves and insulting each others intelligence-please

SFJ, you've been around long enough to know better. I'm with you on your comments to Barton (though you are probably just banging your head against the wall) but you are old enough to know that the Steelers win means this is officially already NOT the worst Jets season ever.

I don't kill the coaching staff as much as you guys. I think the majority of problems were player personnel more than play calling. I give them some slack this year because they were 10-6 last year and should be much better. One specific play calling problem I have is at the goal line. They CAN'T run at all in close. Maybe they should activate Barnes for those spots or use another lineman at FB. That means they have to pass and they ALWAYS run the fade. It's getting pathetic. How about a rollout? Clemens has some wheels. Run the little out, like Chrebet used to run and roll Clemens out towards it. If it's open throw, if not run. Sure it cuts off half the field, but I'm going to spew if I see another fade on a full stomach. Sundays and Thanksgivings I ALWAYS have a full stomach.

You should get a timeout and go to your little corner for what IJ just did to you.

Dude as a JETS fan Ive been in the corner a longtime.How about you cowboy.

The difference between you and I internet insults and threats dont faze me.

Its like an internet fart I cant smell it. Can you?

maybe not but that doesn't mean it isn't still rude and classless

I'm not trying to scare you, or trying to make you go away because my farts stink.

To be completely honest with you, I don't think you use your mind all the time. We all have some idiotic posts once in a while, but looking at your history, I see a lot.

You have to patient.

Originally Posted by JETSFAN5180 viewpost.gif

SO IS YOUR BREATH

looks to me like u can smell over the internet

:Nuts:

I wish I believed that, but right now, I'm not so sure this regime has a clue how to bring in good talent. Or maybe they just don't want to spend the money. Maybe a bad year is a good smack in the mouth. Maybe Tanni and Mangini and Schotty Jr got too arrogant after last season.. I hope that's the case because what I'm seeing this year is worse than the 2005 team..

At least the excuse for 2005 was that team had coach Herm who was quitting and half that team was hurt. There are no excuses for the 2007 Jets to finish 3-13.

Two things bother me: well, actually three: The Jets supposedly wanted to unload McCareins after last year. They must have known that Brad Smith did not have this WR thing down. Why didn't they try to upgrade in the off season. Two, I watched some of the replays: Jet WRs were running freaking buttonhooks. this is playground offense! Is schott kidding? Clemens was flinging the ball today. He had accuracy problems. But there were people in his face virtually every play (good job, OL). All QBs are inefective when teams are in their face all day (See Roethlisberger, November 18,2007) and the only guy who was getting open was Baker. Don't our receivers ever run those crossing patterns that Shanahan always uses against us and are impossible to defend. Do they just run down and turn around? What a joke. Do our WRs run pick plays like other teams do to us? The Dallas secondary is mediocre, folks. There is no excuse for not having people open. Other than, of course, the fact that our talent level is poor. Cotchery is a tough guy, but his physical skills best suit him to be a slot receiver. And he was our Number 1 yesterday. I say keep Coles as your Number 2, and pay for a Number 1, if there is one. Otherwise, draft one. Draft him hgh. The sorest need this team has is for a playmaking WR. Third, I am going sour on Thomas Jones. Does he know how to cut? He goes in one direction, does that stupid hop move to turn around. Drives me crazy. And this business of receiving the ball and coming to a dead stop behind the line. There is no hope of acceleration when you do that. Sometimes you just have to hit the hole hard and take the one yard gain. He turns it into a three yard loss. Of course, dumbo Ray Lucas tells us that Thomas has all these tools. Yes he can knock off a DB now and then. And he runs hard. But he also doesn't see gaping holes on those rare occasions that they occur. He has no refined RB skills of any kind. A fullback mentality, and actually some fullback tools. I think he doesn't have first class footwork for an RB. Oh well. We have a lot of work to do.

You dont think Clemens could have pulled off what Chad did in 02' if Mangini had a set of nuts?

Do you honestly think the talent on both lines is the same this year as in 2002?

Yesterday was snap the ball and hope we don't get sacked. Every QB plays horrible under those circumstances and coaching does not change the fact that the OL got destroyed all day long.

I dont know why this needs to be said as it is football 101, but some people here lack common football sense.

All young QBs have terrible games. It is a LONG and SLOW PROCESS to be a QB in the NFL.

The good news is Clemens has showed alot of good things. He's also shown that, like every single other young QB in the history of the entire NFL, he shows some bad things.

For those of you out there who are calling him a bust - you're an idiot. Yes, you're an idiot. You dont judge any single player in 4 games, ESPECIALLY A YOUNG QUARTERBACK.

Go put on your pennington pajamas and have a cookie, you f'ing whiners.

I agree weith every single word you wrote. These CHAD fans are grasping at anything to make their binkey boy look great!

Clemens didn't play well and obviously had very inconsitant accuracy. I can't put a whole lot into this game though because its hard to get an accurate judge on him when the offensive line is dominated.

The team played bad as a whole and we were dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball. That makes for an ugly game.

SFJ, you've been around long enough to know better. I'm with you on your comments to Barton (though you are probably just banging your head against the wall) but you are old enough to know that the Steelers win means this is officially already NOT the worst Jets season ever.

I don't kill the coaching staff as much as you guys. I think the majority of problems were player personnel more than play calling. I give them some slack this year because they were 10-6 last year and should be much better. One specific play calling problem I have is at the goal line. They CAN'T run at all in close. Maybe they should activate Barnes for those spots or use another lineman at FB. That means they have to pass and they ALWAYS run the fade. It's getting pathetic. How about a rollout? Clemens has some wheels. Run the little out, like Chrebet used to run and roll Clemens out towards it. If it's open throw, if not run. Sure it cuts off half the field, but I'm going to spew if I see another fade on a full stomach. Sundays and Thanksgivings I ALWAYS have a full stomach.

I really don't understand the playcalling down close at all-every series is one run up the gut for a loss, followed by an incompletion, followed by a fade to the corner. Are they so afraid of running a sweep or pulling a guard? They haven't run wide in forever. Are the RB corps collectively so slow that they cannot get to the corner of the wide side of the field?

It's cold reality-this franchise is headed for serious decisions this offseason. Based on the sample they will have to judge Clemens on, is he an NFL QB, or do they need to draft or sign another QB?Can this CS and GM get enough spackling to fill all the holes? Can they bounce back from this biatchslapping and be competitive in 2008?

I don't know. Sitting here today, NO ONE REALLY KNOWS.

Please-NO MORE(Revis, D-Rob, Nugent) DRAFT DAY SHENNANIGANS. Take the freaking picks. I like Revis as a player, but I don't buy that he's better than the 2 players they could've picked instead.

About last night-objectively we weren't beating a 9-1 team at home on Thanksgiving without Coles, though the failure to even be competitive is depressing.

I really don't understand the playcalling down close at all-every series is one run up the gut for a loss, followed by an incompletion, followed by a fade to the corner. Are they so afraid of running a sweep or pulling a guard? They haven't run wide in forever. Are the RB corps collectively so slow that they cannot get to the corner of the wide side of the field?

It's cold reality-this franchise is headed for serious decisions this offseason. Based on the sample they will have to judge Clemens on, is he an NFL QB, or do they need to draft or sign another QB?Can this CS and GM get enough spackling to fill all the holes? Can they bounce back from this biatchslapping and be competitive in 2008?

Please-NO MORE(Revis, D-Rob, Nugent) DRAFT DAY SHENNANIGANS. Take the freaking picks. I like Revis as a player, but I don't buy that he's better than the 2 players they could've picked instead.

About last night-objectively we weren't beating a 9-1 team at home on Thanksgiving without Coles, though the failure to even be competitive is depressing.

how about switching D back to 4-3

Drob looks good when he is singled teamed. Vilma and Harris and sign Boley

from atlanta. 3-4 will not work here....sorry EM

Sign a Guard via FA and pay big bucks for samuel.

Draft-

Impact players, need a RB bad, not sure DMC will be avail now.

Draft a DT, RT and a WR, look at all the young WR studs in Greenbay

Early Doucet potentially in 2nd rd.

Two things bother me: well, actually three: The Jets supposedly wanted to unload McCareins after last year. They must have known that Brad Smith did not have this WR thing down. Why didn't they try to upgrade in the off season. Two, I watched some of the replays: Jet WRs were running freaking buttonhooks. this is playground offense! Is schott kidding? Clemens was flinging the ball today. He had accuracy problems. But there were people in his face virtually every play (good job, OL). All QBs are inefective when teams are in their face all day (See Roethlisberger, November 18,2007) and the only guy who was getting open was Baker. Don't our receivers ever run those crossing patterns that Shanahan always uses against us and are impossible to defend. Do they just run down and turn around? What a joke. Do our WRs run pick plays like other teams do to us? The Dallas secondary is mediocre, folks. There is no excuse for not having people open. Other than, of course, the fact that our talent level is poor. Cotchery is a tough guy, but his physical skills best suit him to be a slot receiver. And he was our Number 1 yesterday. I say keep Coles as your Number 2, and pay for a Number 1, if there is one. Otherwise, draft one. Draft him hgh. The sorest need this team has is for a playmaking WR. Third, I am going sour on Thomas Jones. Does he know how to cut? He goes in one direction, does that stupid hop move to turn around. Drives me crazy. And this business of receiving the ball and coming to a dead stop behind the line. There is no hope of acceleration when you do that. Sometimes you just have to hit the hole hard and take the one yard gain. He turns it into a three yard loss. Of course, dumbo Ray Lucas tells us that Thomas has all these tools. Yes he can knock off a DB now and then. And he runs hard. But he also doesn't see gaping holes on those rare occasions that they occur. He has no refined RB skills of any kind. A fullback mentality, and actually some fullback tools. I think he doesn't have first class footwork for an RB. Oh well. We have a lot of work to do.

Great post Jack. It was sickening to see the mediocre Dallas secondary bottle up our receivers leaving Clemens to run for his life all day. I don't know it it was play call or our wide outs really cant get any separation. One things for sure - every D in the league is so used to seeing little flat passes from the Jets O that they'll jump that route every time. Real disheartening performance.

Well stated.

Right now, it's a cluster****, and that is on those who have put this team together over the past two seasons.

Edit: Hey! Who changed the filter? LOL

Well stated.

Right now, it's a cluster****, and that is on those who have put this team together over the past two seasons.

Edit: Hey! Who changed the filter? LOL

what has me baffled is last week against the Steelers we actually tried some different plays and players-we used a lot of 4-3 we had David Bowens, CJ Mosely Mike DeVito and Ellis actually played LBer-on offense we tried out Will Mongomery who did real well-this week we went back to the same old same old-again JC-ONE SCREEN PASS in 2 weeks-why IS Bryan Thomas still playing over Bowens? Why hasn't Darien Barnes been activated since the Miami game? Why IS Anthony Clement still playing and Bender, like Barnes never actiavated?

I agree with Max-it's all about the OL...fix that and a lot of other problems don't seem so glaring...Anthony Clement is horrible so are Clarke and Moore

Boy oh boy. I'd hate to see what would be going on if any of this actually had an impact on anyone's life. LOL

Guys relax, the season is over.

I thought it was very unfair how Pennington was treated at the end. I think it is equally unfair how Clemens is being treated now.

Yes, he had an awful game yesterday. It was his 4th start. He is going to have awful games. Especially when the OL is as bad as it is. Clement is a big clown out there. This guy gets driven back into the QB every passing play.

The problem is, it is going to be very hard to gauge what kind of talent Clemens has with that going on.

People are cussing Lil Schot for running the ball up the middle on first down every time. What is he supposed to do? Throw the ball upfield to take advantage of Clemens arm? How can he do that? The kid can't get protection on a 3rd and 3 without a DE hanging on him. If they throw on 1st and 10 and are in a 3rd and ten, it might as well be a 3rd and 40. He has no time to throw the ball. If Randy Moss was on this team his #'s would be the same as they were with the Raiders. If the QB only has 2 seconds to get rid of the ball, you can't throw upfield. When young QB's are hit play after play they do stupid things. That's what you saw yesterday.

Boy oh boy. I'd hate to see what would be going on if any of this actually had an impact on anyone's life. LOL

Guys relax, the season is over.

I thought it was very unfair how Pennington was treated at the end. I think it is equally unfair how Clemens is being treated now.

Yes, he had an awful game yesterday. It was his 4th start. He is going to have awful games. Especially when the OL is as bad as it is. Clement is a big clown out there. This guy gets driven back into the QB every passing play.

The problem is, it is going to be very hard to gauge what kind of talent Clemens has with that going on.

People are cussing Lil Schot for running the ball up the middle on first down every time. What is he supposed to do? Throw the ball upfield to take advantage of Clemens arm? How can he do that? The kid can't get protection on a 3rd and 3 without a DE hanging on him. If they throw on 1st and 10 and are in a 3rd and ten, it might as well be a 3rd and 40. He has no time to throw the ball. If Randy Moss was on this team his #'s would be the same as they were with the Raiders. If the QB only has 2 seconds to get rid of the ball, you can't throw upfield. When young QB's are hit play after play they do stupid things. That's what you saw yesterday.

good post fg...I really can't even fault Clemens for anything yesterday except the INT-which was his fault-the rest was mostly on either the OL and the horrible choices being made by our OC-I hope I'm not going to be called a Clemens-lover or apologist and a Chad-hater because what i am is a guy who has watched this game for 41 years and knows what he's seeing withOUT prejudice

I have supported this FO and HC this season. But it was a mistake going in 2007 with this Oline. And it will be a colossal mistake if they go into the 2008 season with this Oline.

No way they do though. There are alot of guys out there who we can get. This Oline, more than any other unit, needs to be upgraded. This Oline didnt look too bad when Chad was at QB because that part of the schedule was vs lesser defenses and Chad did nothing but throw 2 yard passes (meaning he didnt stay in the pocket very long).

Now, with Clemens at QB, we are facing the tuffest defenses in the league (We have the toughest remaining schedule in the league) and he constantly looks downfield (like a good QB should) but he's getting whacked for it because 3/5 of our Oline is complete garbage. Not to mention our best QR is on the sidelines.

We need major upgrades on the Oline. No excuses anymore in 2008.

I have supported this FO and HC this season. But it was a mistake going in 2007 with this Oline. And it will be a colossal mistake if they go into the 2008 season with this Oline.

No way they do though. There are alot of guys out there who we can get. This Oline, more than any other unit, needs to be upgraded. This Oline didnt look too bad when Chad was at QB because that part of the schedule was vs lesser defenses and Chad did nothing but throw 2 yard passes (meaning he didnt stay in the pocket very long).

Now, with Clemens at QB, we are facing the tuffest defenses in the league (We have the toughest remaining schedule in the league) and he constantly looks downfield (like a good QB should) but he's getting whacked for it because 3/5 of our Oline is complete garbage. Not to mention our best QR is on the sidelines.

We need major upgrades on the Oline. No excuses anymore in 2008.

that should be job one this off season-revamping this horrible excuse called our OL

I dont know why this needs to be said as it is football 101, but some people here lack common football sense.

All young QBs have terrible games. It is a LONG and SLOW PROCESS to be a QB in the NFL.

The good news is Clemens has showed alot of good things. He's also shown that, like every single other young QB in the history of the entire NFL, he shows some bad things.

For those of you out there who are calling him a bust - you're an idiot. Yes, you're an idiot. You dont judge any single player in 4 games, ESPECIALLY A YOUNG QUARTERBACK.

You are right. Most of those who are down on Clemens are Pennington supporters who can not give up the dream that turned into a night mare ! Pennington has been in the league 8 years....This is really Clemens first...he was not given a chance last year....Dallas was too good....Clemens never had the chance to slow the game down...it was on fast forward the whole game...we need to get him help in free agency and the draft...as soon as we can !

You are right. Most of those who are down on Clemens are Pennington supporters who can not give up the dream that turned into a night mare ! Pennington has been in the league 8 years....This is really Clemens first...he was not given a chance last year....Dallas was too good....Clemens never had the chance to slow the game down...it was on fast forward the whole game...we need to get him help in free agency and the draft...as soon as we can !

Archived