Pennington And Coles For A 1st And 4th

Maxman

One thing I left out of the article because it was mentioned to me in "passing". But I think there are some legs to this whole Senior Advisor thing. I don't have names (I know Parcells was mentioned). But I am impressed with these guys. They seem willing to learn from their mistakes -- bringing in someone to help out with roster evaluation would be a really good sign (as long as they hire the right person to do it of course).

I wouldn't mind Parcells as long as he was strictly an evaluator/advisor and Mike T remained in charge of the cap. Parcells is a douche but he knows 3-4 talent.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing I left out of the article because it was mentioned to me in "passing". But I think there are some legs to this whole Senior Advisor thing. I don't have names (I know Parcells was mentioned). But I am impressed with these guys. They seem willing to learn from their mistakes -- bringing in someone to help out with roster evaluation would be a really good sign (as long as they hire the right person to do it of course).

I can't see how that could be a bad thing. Do it.

How is he stupid? He needs another Wide Receiver to go with Dwayne Bowe and he needs a veteran Quarterback if he wants to win now and save his job. I would be in favor of this trade because we could address two huge needs in the Top 10 or 15 picks of the draft. Heck, we have 25+ million in cap space, we can afford it.

Question is, who would replace LC to along with Jerricho Cotchery? Better hope Chansi Stuckey emerges and the Jets can draft DeSean Jackson of Cal or go after a Free Agent like Bernard Berrian, DJ Hackett or Bryant Johnson. Jets would need to pick up 2 receivers in the off-season.

This is not a joke. We like having fun here but we can't joke at the expense of our name. It is a long way from becoming reality. Like Bugg pointed out, if Herm gets fired -- the deal is definitely dead. But these conversations did take place.

This sounds like wild unbased wet dreams.

Why would you even give a 1st for both? The Chiefs are not anywhere close to being Superbowl contenders. One is over 30 with two shoulder surgeries on his throwing shoulder. The other is almost 30 with a history of foot problems.

You would be lucky to get 2-5th round picks for them.

Wow, TBH I would hate to see Coles go. That would make WR a huge position of need.

But how would you guys call herm stupid for making this move. His offence would now have Chad at QB who is a huge upgrade over Croyle or Huard. His weapons would consist of Larry Johnson, Tony Gonzalez , Coles and Dewayne Bowe. Fair enough with herm as Co-ordinator they'd still be a bit conservative but that looks like a pretty good offence on paper. Also defensively they haven't been too bad this year.

Personally, I think this move could benifit the Cheifs more than us.:confused0082:

Wow, TBH I would hate to see Coles go. That would make WR a huge position of need.

But how would you guys call herm stupid for making this move. His offence would now have Chad at QB who is a huge upgrade over Croyle or Huard. His weapons would consist of Larry Johnson, Tony Gonzalez , Coles and Dewayne Bowe. Fair enough with herm as Co-ordinator they'd still be a bit conservative but that looks like a pretty good offence on paper. Also defensively they haven't been too bad this year.

Personally, I think this move could benifit the Cheifs more than us.:confused0082:

I agree. Chad is still a capable NFL starting QB and when looking at who is available this year at QB and WR this would clearly be head and shoulders above the next best duo and at a pretty reasonable price.

This is a great deal. Sounds too good, except with Herm on the other end, it is entirely possible. I love Coles to death. My favorite Jet since Klecko. But he is going on 30, has had concussion problems, I think he still has that foot problem since his Washington days and I don't know how many more Mangini camps he wants to go thru. Yes, this leaves us thin at WR, but with the extra picks and cap room next year, WR is easy to fix. Just ask the Patriots.

Couple of questions:

So is the JN source saying the FO is 100% committed to Kellen as our #1 QB moving forward OR is it possible that we would look to use the possible early 1st rd picks to draft one should this rumor have any legs?

Can our current CAP situation afford two top 6 draft picks while ALSO allowing the FO to be major players in the FA market as many of the detractors here have called for?

Couple of questions:

So is the JN source saying the FO is 100% committed to Kellen as our #1 QB moving forward OR is it possible that we would look to use the possible early 1st rd picks to draft one should this rumor have any legs?

Can our current CAP situation afford two top 6 draft picks while ALSO allowing the FO to be major players in the FA market as many of the detractors here have called for?

Sperm Edwards is the JN capologist but from what he wrote on the previous page-we save a bunch of dough by moving Chad and Coles...so yes

Yeah just reread Sperm's post and agree.

I PRAY this deal happens and also like the idea of bringing a guy like Parcells in as an evaluator of talent to help the young upstarts-I could see him doing it to try and help the other A-hole down a notch...I swear I can't see how any coach out there can like this guy

Couple of questions:

I thought it was a few million less, but with all the non-releases of bonus restructures that the Jets do, I was not surprised at their (allegedly) being $27M under the projected 2008 cap at this point. Dropping Chad/Coles saves another $7M to bring that to $34M. Dropping DRob clears another $6-8M depending on when we do it (assume $6M if we hope to get a pick for him). So now that's $40M. Barrett clears a couple mil more & if Barton is gone (which is unlikely unless we go after someone HIGH like Laurinaitis) that's another $3M off. So now you're at $45M under the cap.

Jesus - we could afford to give a significant amt of two top-6 rookies' guaranteed money as ROSTER bonus instead of signing bonus to save the cap later. If it's not going to be all used up this year, might as well do what we can to keep us in such good shape.

Also keep in mind the $ for moving Chad/Coles do not stop this year. It saves about $18M over both of them starting/playing here in 2009 as well.

There is PLENTY of room for us to fit a couple of these guys AND sign two more high-priced FA's like Faneca/Suggs AND re-sign Rhodes to a far more lucrative deal than he's got right now.

NO problem. This is part of the benefit of doing things on the cheap for 3 years in a row.

Root for the Chiefs to do do something stupid and keep Herm on and this can be a reality.

This move may be stupid for the Cheifs but for Herm himself it would be a great move. Having the likes of Pennington, LJ, Coles, Bowe and Gonzo would give them a great chance to become an immediate contender.

The draft picks may be better in the long run but if Herm suffers another losing season I doubt he'll be around for the long run.

This move may be stupid for the Cheifs but for Herm himself it would be a great move. Having the likes of Pennington, LJ, Coles, Bowe and Gonzo would give them a great chance to become an immediate contender.

The draft picks may be better in the long run but if Herm suffers another losing season I doubt he'll be around for the long run.

only one problem for the Chefs with this trade

Penne sucks , this trade will ensure Carl and Herm won't be there in 2009

This would be great for us. I see us defineately beating the chiefs to be 4-12,so would the chiefs. So since we beat the chiefs they would have a pick in front of us. They would have the 5th,which we would take Chris Long,or if mcfadden is available we get him which is doubtful. Then we have our own 6th pick,where we should take Vernon Gholston,or an OL. Then we address the WR position. We trade Vilma,85,or we trade our 2nd round for 85 depending on what the bengals decide they want.

only one problem for the Chefs with this trade

Penne sucks , this trade will ensure Carl and Herm won't be there in 2009

I'm not sure how you can say that. I actually think this would save their jobs and from the Chiefs perspective they could make the playoffs if they added Chad and Coles plus got a FA or two. It is good for both sides.

wow Spermy great work there...that post gives us something we haven't had in about 3 months; HOPE....

Look, it's going to take bold moves to get into contention in this division-a couple of blockbuster trades like the one Max is reporting plus maybe a Chad Johnson for Jonathon Vilma will raise spirits quickly among the fan base as well as expectations around the league-along with the FA signings you mentioned

If the Jets are on the level with this story and they feel they want to get rid

of both Chad and Lav, I think they should try to search out other teams

and try to deal each one separately rather than wrap both up with KC.

the best part of the deal and biggest selling point IMO is the well known chemistry between the duo Senior

Archived