Detroit-NYJ rumor: Roy for the #6

Greenseed3

The Lion's boards are talking about an insane rumor. Apparently Roy Williams IS on the trading block, and the Jets will consider moving from #6 to #15 with Roy being the compensation.

Now, I'm not one to pass rumors along; but this one intrigues me on several levels:

1) Roy out of Detroit has surfaced before.

2) Detroit just cut Kevin Jones, and signed the injured Tatum Bell to a ONE year deal...so,

3) Them getting Darren McFadden seems awfully tempting.

I for one would like to acquire the services of one Roy Williams, and if it means we can move down in the draft and acquire a cheaper player who is 1) still the BAP and 2) a player of need (like Mike Jenkins or DMC) .....then I'm all for it.

If this rumor has any truth to it... We can acquire a #1 WR, a #1 CB (for this draft), and a #1 ILB (Croften or Avril) at the top of the second....even if it takes a 4th rounder for pursausion.

On top of that, I have an inkling that we might be trading Drob for Daniel Graham (a great blocking TE) which would mean we would have both a formidable offense and a formidable defense.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Lion's boards are talking about an insane rumor. Apparently Roy Williams IS on the trading block, and the Jets will consider moving from #6 to #15 with Roy being the compensation.

Now, I'm not one to pass rumors along; but this one intrigues me on several levels:

2) Detroit just cut Kevin Jones, and signed the injured Tatum Bell to a ONE year deal...so,

I for one would like to acquire the services of one Roy Williams, and if it means we can move down in the draft and acquire a cheaper player who is 1) still the BAP and 2) a player of need (like Mike Jenkins or DMC) .....then I'm all for it.

If this rumor has any truth to it... We can acquire a #1 WR, a #1 CB (for this draft), and a #1 ILB (Croften or Avril) at the top of the second....even if it takes a 4th rounder for pursausion.

On top of that, I have an inkling that we might be trading Drob for Daniel Graham (a great blocking TE) which would mean we would have both a formidable offense and a formidable defense.

I said no ****ing way when I first saw the topic thinking it meant the #6 for Roy Williams straight up. I would do this though, a lot of people want to see the Jets trade for Dallas two first rounders to grab Hardy and a Corner. If we moved to down to 15 we don't have to deal with the huge contract spent on a potential bust. We have the receiver and if for no other reason then telling Coles to pack his **** and get out, I'm all for it. Then we could get the corner at 15 or possibly for all the people that had the McFadden hard on we could get Mendenhall who I think is going to be a much better pro back anyway.

I haven't seen anything about this rumor though and it's probably just BS on a message board.

that would be awesome, I"m all for that, we get a solid #1 WR, get away from overpaying a rooking at #6, and at 15 take at CB to pair up with Revis. with our new Oline we don't need Mcfadden, we have plenty of backs, so if we can do this! if it's at all possible! Please Jump on this! Roy and Cotch! awesome combo. just need a solid #3. maybe someone on our roster will step up.

if anyone hears anymore, keep us posted! thanks for the info bro!

I would pull the trigger on this deal in a heart beat. Man we would be like 100% improved over what we had at the end of last season on BOTH sides of the ball. Hey maybe Millens looking to take a WR at the #6 spot. :rl:

that would be awesome, I"m all for that, we get a solid #1 WR, get away from overpaying a rooking at #6, and at 15 take at CB to pair up with Revis. with our new Oline we don't need Mcfadden, we have plenty of backs, so if we can do this! if it's at all possible! Please Jump on this! Roy and Cotch! awesome combo. just need a solid #3. maybe someone on our roster will step up.

if anyone hears anymore, keep us posted! thanks for the info bro!

I still think Brad Smith can be a good receiver if they stop trying to make him a into a jack of all trades and master of none. He's got all the physical tools 6-2 with a 4.46 forty time and a 39 1/2 vertical, but they need to let him focus on one position.

I still think Brad Smith can be a good receiver if they stop trying to make him a into a jack of all trades and master of none. He's got all the physical tools 6-2 with a 4.46 forty time and a 39 1/2 vertical, but they need to let him focus on one position.

Yeah. He can't catch the ball, that could be a problem:confused0058:

Is there a link to the specific board where this rumor came from? Is there a reputable source?

The Brad Smith experiment should just end now. No reciever. No QB. Just let him play special teams, and that's that.

I would come in my pants if this deal happened. That's how happy I would be.

But I don't believe it for a second. Not even the Lions could be that dumb.

As for Brad Smith, as long as we can keep him for a low cost, he is worth a spot on the roster. But he's a trick/slash player and no.4 reciever. Nothing more.

Yeah OK, this has absolutely no chance of hapenning. That trade is awfully one sided.

How about this to even things up a bit - #6 and DRob for #15 and Roy Williams.

That fills two needs for the Lions (DT and the #6) and three needs for the Jets (WR, #15 (CB/RB), and no more DRob). How about that one?

On the surface this looks like an awesome deal....

BUT

Roy Williams is ALWAYS hurt.. I mean ALWAYS. Every season. He's played 16 in only 1 of his 4 seasons....

However, it still may be worth the risk, because when he does play he's a stud.

file this one under "too good to be true"

Getting RW and only having to move down nine spots...I wish

You doubt Matt Millen to do something stupid? A lot of jets fans like to complain about the management and whatever else. But would you rather be a Lions fan and have no hope AT ALL

On the surface this looks like an awesome deal....

BUT

Roy Williams is ALWAYS hurt.. I mean ALWAYS. Every season. He's played 16 in only 1 of his 4 seasons....

However, it still may be worth the risk, because when he does play he's a stud.

I'd agree with this. How many guys stay healthy on Detroit anyway?

It also allows us the flexibility of moving Coles if he becomes a further distraction & taking a high-upside/high-downside WR (Hubbard, etc.) in the 4th without a need to find an immediate starter.

With DRob (particularly DRob and Coles and Barrett) moved, there's plenty of space for Roy Williams & a new contract even if we pay him $8M/yr like Javon Walker.

I've never seen this guy in action but after looking here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H37NpIpny60

it seems like Williams has pretty poor acceleration after the catch. Does he have tiny legs or something?

I don't know about that, but he's got a lot of ups. He's tall, he can receive in the end-zone, and he can catch the fade pass like a T.O. or a Moss. He's the perfect compliment to possession receivers like Coles and Cotch.

I'd do the trade as listed in a splitsecond. Since it frees us up from having to pick a WR, I'd also be willing to do something like our 1 and 4 and maybe even a second day 2009 conditional for their 1 and Roy.

Could it happen? As others have said, it does sound too good to be true. But if DMC slips to 6, I have no doubt that some GM somewhere is going to overestimate his value, thinking he can solve all of a team's problems. If that is Detroit, then this scenario is quite plausible.

This way, we could avoid getting the risky (IMO), DMC, but still appease the McFaddenites by getting a nice offensive playmaker.

So the rumor is the #6 for the #15 and Roy Williams? The Jets would be fools not to take this deal in a heartbeat and then at 15 select a Cornerback to go along with Revis, if Ty Law is not signed. Even then though, a Corner wouldn't be a bad selection.

the one question that begs asking greenseed is WHAT THE HELLL ARE YOU DOING ON A LIONS BOARD?

I would do it!!! and you know I love mcfadden!!! LOL 15th pick..can get Mendenhall.... and still have roy williams..

I don't get your infatuation with the Jets taking a Running Back, but at least you'd be willing to pass on Bust DMC. :cheers:

file this one under "too good to be true"

Getting RW and only having to move down nine spots...I wish

I don't get your infatuation with the Jets taking a Running Back, but at least you'd be willing to pass on Bust DMC. :cheers:

Cause Thomas jones is 30 years old... and I dont have faith in leon washington or jesse chatman... we need to think of that for the future and this is a strong rb draft.. one of the best in years

Cause Thomas jones is 30 years old... and I dont have faith in leon washington or jesse chatman... we need to think of that for the future and this is a strong rb draft.. one of the best in years

You should accept it:

The New York Jets are not selecting a RB any time before round 4 (if at all).

They do not think Jones is too old or they would not have given him a 4 year deal 1 year ago.

Keep repeating this to yourself until it sinks in.

You should accept it:

The New York Jets are not selecting a RB any time before round 4 (if at all).

They do not think Jones is too old or they would not have given him a 4 year deal 1 year ago.

Keep repeating this to yourself until it sinks in.

what happens of they do?? what would you say??

He may be 30, but he's a younger 30 than most. Hasn't carried the load too often in his career. He also had a pretty decent season last year for the line he had to run behind. He still has another 2 or 3 good seasons in him, IMO. I would have no problem waiting a year or two until looking at a replacement. Leon is good for 150 carries a season, if he is given the chance and Chatman is nothing more than an insurance policy / short yardage back. Right now, there is no reason to go Running Back. Not in 2008. McFadden isn't a sure thing, and in my eyes is the next KiJana Carter.

The Jets don't need a Running Back to win now. Drafting for the future is all well and good, but the team they have now is built to win in the next 2-4 years. They need to be drafting players who fit their needs, not their wants for two or three years down the line. There will be plenty of other backs to choose from.

I disagree. That did that last year for the most part. He could be better if he doesn't play QB in camp. But I don't think he will ever be a # 3 guy. He is great as a #4 or #5 because of all the other things he does.

I say keep him doing the other things and just expect less from him as a WR. That is where is best value to the team will be (doing a bunch of stuff).

what happens of they do?? what would you say??

They simply cannot be investing that much money into the Running Back position, and they don't have a need at Running Back. They need to pick for need when they have holes if you want them to improve their chances of being contenders.

Archived