Broncos released Dewayne Robertson

F.Chowds

Broncos released DLs Dewayne Robertson and John Engelberger, LBs Jamie Winborn and Niko Koutouvides, TE Nate Jackson, and SS Marquand Manuel.

Robertson's cap figure was $16M, a ridiculous amount for a league-average wave tackle with bum knees. The No. 4 overall pick in 2003, Robertson is 27 but may not have more than another season or two in him. The Broncos kept him on the roster last year despite failing every physical they put him through. Josh McDaniels is cleaning house with the other Shanahan-era holdovers.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=925

Broncos released DLs Dewayne Robertson and John Engelberger, LBs Jamie Winborn and Niko Koutouvides, TE Nate Jackson, and SS Marquand Manuel.

Robertson's cap figure was $16M, a ridiculous amount for a league-average wave tackle with bum knees. The No. 4 overall pick in 2003, Robertson is 27 but may not have more than another season or two in him. The Broncos kept him on the roster last year despite failing every physical they put him through. Josh McDaniels is cleaning house with the other Shanahan-era holdovers.

Now there's a SURPRISE!

Michael Haynes, who couldn't make it out of camp with us, and Rex Grossman.

That was just a wonderful trade for everyone involved.

At least Grossman was able to bomb it and hope for a Pass Interference his way to a Super Bowl apperance. ;)

http://www.jetsdaily.com/2009/02/broncos-release-dt-dewayne-robertson.html

*Former Jets' first-round pick DeWayne Robertson was released from the Denver Broncos today. Denver gives up on Robertson just one season after trading for him from New York last year. What did they give the Jets? Absolutely nothing. But don't lynch Mike Tannenbaum: getting D-Rob's salary off the books was worth it. He only managed 22 tackles and 1.5 sacks this past season.

But for as mediocre as his play was last year, that wasn't the main reason he was cut. His salary cap number next year was going to be $16 million dollars! No, that is not a typo. He'll latch on elsewhere, but the chances of him ever living up to his vast potential are slim and none.

**Speaking of first-round busts (too soon?), Vernon Gholston has a mildly interesting interview with Rich Cimini. The sixth overall pick didn't even manage one sack last season, but he thinks last year was "tremendous" for his growth. He doesn't exactly sound fired up, but he's always been a rather quiet person. The problem is that he was just as silent on (though usually off) the field.

But bravado only goes so far. This was DeWayne Robertson after his rookie season.

"My goal is to dominate. Can't nobody block me. ... People are going to see the real Dewayne Robertson this year. Whatever they're saying about last year, well, they'll be singing a different tune now.”

You still wish he would show some fire, though. I'm not asking for the next "Can't nobody block me," but I would like him to sound a little angrier for his disappointing rookie year, rather than coachspeak. Everything he says is correct, but this outward lack of fire was one of his knocks coming out of school, and so far, he has yet to disprove that notion.

:rl:

That was a good trade by Mike T because that passed the cap-hit onto the Broncos. If the Jets had released DShrimp last year they'd have taken the cap hit, now the Broncos do.

Plus, it still strikes me how much criticism Gholston recieves considering he had a HC who put him in a situation to fail.

This is good news. Now he can definitely make Matt Walters golf tournament. Brooks Bollinger is confirmed as is Victor Hobson and B.J. Askew. Now if only they would get an answer from Derek Pagel and Dave Yovanovits they will be in good shape.

It will be nice to get that special group of players back together. Oh, the memories.

That was a good trade by Mike T because that passed the cap-hit onto the Broncos. If the Jets had released DShrimp last year they'd have taken the cap hit, now the Broncos do.

Plus, it still strikes me how much criticism Gholston recieves considering he had a HC who put him in a situation to fail.

i'm a little fuzzy on this.....but when we traded him that means we were able to trade the remainder of his bonus with him? i thought bonuses were paid up front. and then prorated for the life of the contract. how does this work? that means the broncos had to take on the cap hit of the remaining bonus we owed? or did it just accelerate our cap hit?

i'm a little fuzzy on this.....but when we traded him that means we were able to trade the remainder of his bonus with him? i thought bonuses were paid up front. and then prorated for the life of the contract. how does this work? that means the broncos had to take on the cap hit of the remaining bonus we owed? or did it just accelerate our cap hit?

If I remember correctly, the NFL changed the trading rules within the last year or so concerning accelerated bonuses to make it easier to trade players. As you mentioned, the way it was before had it that the trading team took the full brunt of the accelerated bonus upon the trade (this made trades rare because teams didn't want to take the cap hit).

Now (the cap guys can correct me), the team trading the player does not take the cap hit, but instead the cap figure is transferred to the team trading for the player. So the broncos assumed the proration, but not an acceleration which no longer occurs with a trade.

If I remember correctly, the NFL changed the trading rules within the last year or so concerning accelerated bonuses to make it easier to trade players. As you mentioned, the way it was before had it that the trading team took the full brunt of the accelerated bonus upon the trade (this made trades rare because teams didn't want to take the cap hit).

Now (the cap guys can correct me), the team trading the player does not take the cap hit, but instead the cap figure is transferred to the team trading for the player. So the broncos assumed the proration, but not an acceleration which no longer occurs with a trade.

wha? It's never worked like that to my knolwedge

For example, why didn't we get a cap hit when Favre retired?

btw it was a ****ty trade just like the VIlma one because it should've been done a year prior ;)

wha? It's never worked like that to my knolwedge

For example, why didn't we get a cap hit when Favre retired?

btw it was a ****ty trade just like the VIlma one because it should've been done a year prior ;)

Because there was nothing to accelerate. We didn't pay him any signing bonus money. Green Bay did. Even still, that contract was signed way back in 2001. You can't amortize a signing bonus over that many years anyhow. There wasn't even any accelerated hit for Green Bay when they traded him away a year earlier.

Denver owed him a $17 million roster bonus if they had kept him according to Sirius NFL radio. Holy ****. :eek:

LOL

Yeah the JETS really worked out a GREAT deal with him...

He might just wind up re-singing... releasing him had nothing to do with liking him or not liking him... it was a money decision first and foremost...

Archived