JETS trade for SHEPPARD !

jales22

I don't know if I've ever come home to better news after getting home from the bars. Really. The fact that I'm dipping popcorn in garlic hummus makes it that much better.

You obviously left all the girls at the bar... lol

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did read the entire post and I was merely being facetious. I personally don't feel a 5th and 4th for Shephard is that pricey, sounds like a pretty solid deal.

a 5th this is great, a 4th added to next year is ok. If it escalates to a 2nd we got hosed. I would assume it depends on how he performs and how much he plays.

a 5th this is great, a 4th added to next year is ok. If it escalates to a 2nd we got hosed. I would assume it depends on how he performs and how much he plays.

If it escalates to a 2nd, it probably means he was worth it.

Look at it this way: we traded our 5th round pick to move up a few places in round 2 to get the CB we wanted...and then in addition to him not being a bust draft pick, but as a rookie he was instantly a non-liability as a starter opposite Revis. Except that it's our 2nd round pick next year and we get the player this year. I would make that move every time.

The most likely "worst case" scenario? He's awful, we cut him, and we gave up a 5th this year & a 4th next year. No dead cap hit for cutting him at any time.

I guess technically there is one other "worst case" potential, and that is he isn't very good, but he's better than the others we have for 2009. Starts all 16 games, then we don't want him for next year because he's holding out (or too injured), and we still have to give up a 2nd. IF the conditions are even possible to work out that way.

If it escalates to a 2nd, it probably means he was worth it.

Look at it this way: we traded our 5th round pick to move up a few places in round 2 to get the CB we wanted...and then in addition to him not being a bust draft pick, but as a rookie he was instantly a non-liability as a starter opposite Revis. Except that it's our 2nd round pick next year and we get the player this year. I would make that move every time.

The most likely "worst case" scenario? He's awful, we cut him, and we gave up a 5th this year & a 4th next year. No dead cap hit for cutting him at any time.

I guess technically there is one other "worst case" potential, and that is he isn't very good, but he's better than the others we have for 2009. Starts all 16 games, then we don't want him for next year because he's holding out (or too injured), and we still have to give up a 2nd. IF the conditions are even possible to work out that way.

Well said.

I thought Tannenbaum got hosed in his "future pick" deals a/w DRob and Vilma. DRob is somewhat understandable, but we really should've done better on Vilma. The way the Saints skated around that clause was embarrassing.

So I guess I'm just hoping he learned something from those two deals, and we don't wind up with the short end of another future consideration trade.

I thought Tannenbaum got hosed in his "future pick" deals a/w DRob and Vilma. DRob is somewhat understandable, but we really should've done better on Vilma. The way the Saints skated around that clause was embarrassing.

So I guess I'm just hoping he learned something from those two deals, and we don't wind up with the short end of another future consideration trade.

It takes two to tango. If that is the best deal he could get, what else could he have done? Not trade them? DRob flat out sucks (as evidenced by his tossed by Denver, who has a crappy defense) and Vilma has always been vastly overrated, even in a 4-3 (as evidenced by NO - who also has a crappy defense - taking the chance that someone else would grab him as a FA).

Let's bury and forget these two Bradway/Edwards blunders once and for all.

Agreed, I'm hopeful that we keep that 2nd round pick scenario so that it's near-impossible to obtain. If he's as good as I think he'll be, I don't mind the 3rd and the 5th, especially with the 3rd being in 2010. A 2nd rounder (Even in 2010) plus another pick is a tough sell though.

I don't know if I've ever come home to better news after getting home from the bars. Really. The fact that I'm dipping popcorn in garlic hummus makes it that much better.

You often come home alone from bars, don't you?

I haven't followed Lito a lot the past 2-3 years, what level was he last playing at?

I am very happy about this pick up, nonetheless.

only concern i have is philly DC jimmy johnson is one of best in biz,,so he must have seen somewthing,,on otehr hand,,rex is one of best in biz so he must see somethin also,,i guess we will find out if rex or jimmy knew best :D

I haven't followed Lito a lot the past 2-3 years, what level was he last playing at?

I am very happy about this pick up, nonetheless.

When he is healthy, which he was last year, he is a pro bowl quality CB (he made the pro bowl twice) who can handle one on one man coverage that you have to be able to do in the Jimmy Johnson blitz happy philly defenses.

I just want to say that I really love this move. Not happy if it ends up being a 2nd round pick. But 4th and beyond would be really good.

Either way the team is a lot better with him as the 2nd CB.

I agree,,just want someone smart to tell me why lito fell out of favor with Jimmy Johnson? I respect Johnsons DC mind

It takes two to tango. If that is the best deal he could get, what else could he have done? Not trade them? DRob flat out sucks (as evidenced by his tossed by Denver, who has a crappy defense) and Vilma has always been vastly overrated, even in a 4-3 (as evidenced by NO - who also has a crappy defense - taking the chance that someone else would grab him as a FA).

Like I said, DRob was understandable. Seems like we should've gotten at least a 7th rounder out of him, but I'm really not going to quibble. But the Vilma trade pisses me off. They sign him on the first day of FA @ 5 years, $34M, $17 guaranteed? Obviously he's a player who's worth a second rounder to them. Tanny got hosed in the fine print on that one.

I don't want to see that happen again with this deal. Like AdropOFvenom, I hope that the second rounder level is nearly impossible to obtain. Like Pro Bowl/Super Bowl levels.

I just want to say that I really love this move. Not happy if it ends up being a 2nd round pick. But 4th and beyond would be really good.

Either way the team is a lot better with him as the 2nd CB.

Why wouldn't you be happy if it turned out to be a 2nd round pick? That just means that he performed better than if it had been a 4th rounder. No matter what the clause is it is better for the team if it ends up being a higher pick as the player played better.

Why wouldn't you be happy if it turned out to be a 2nd round pick? That just means that he performed better than if it had been a 4th rounder. No matter what the clause is it is better for the team if it ends up being a higher pick as the player played better.

Exactly. What are the chances of drafting a CB in the second round who will turn out better than Sheppard?

Like I said, DRob was understandable. Seems like we should've gotten at least a 7th rounder out of him, but I'm really not going to quibble. But the Vilma trade pisses me off. They sign him on the first day of FA @ 5 years, $34M, $17 guaranteed? Obviously he's a player who's worth a second rounder to them. Tanny got hosed in the fine print on that one.

I don't want to see that happen again with this deal. Like AdropOFvenom, I hope that the second rounder level is nearly impossible to obtain. Like Pro Bowl/Super Bowl levels.

Vilma is a 220 lb LBer who gets dragged down the field. If NO thinks he is worth that money, it is not Mr. T who made the mistake on this one. Who else even showed any interest in him?

When he is healthy, which he was last year, he is a pro bowl quality CB (he made the pro bowl twice) who can handle one on one man coverage that you have to be able to do in the Jimmy Johnson blitz happy philly defenses.

he stinks.

he lost his starting job then losts his role as nickle back last year...

the guys been one of the worst CB's in football in the last 2 years

Thanks! That's what I thought, but hasn't he been a bit injury prone over the years?

he stinks.

Yeah, but any guy we've had opposite Revis has been THE worst, so it's still an upgrade. And if he still stinks, it looks like we just lose two late rounders. There's not a whole lot of risk involved in this one.

he stinks.

I am in the Philly area and hear all of this Eagles stuff. Sheppard has had lots of problems with the organization and fell out of favor. But no one, and I mean no one around here questions his talent. At 27, he is hardly over the hill.

Yeah, but any guy we've had opposite Revis has been THE worst, so it's still an upgrade. And if he still stinks, it looks like we just lose two late rounders. There's not a whole lot of risk involved in this one.

true..

I was repsonding to the notion that he's pro bowl quality.. :D

Hopefully, he finds whatever he lost the last few seasons..

I am in the Philly area and hear all of this Eagles stuff. Sheppard has had lots of problems with the organization and fell out of favor. But no one, and I mean no one around here questions his talent. At 27, he is hardly over the hill.

We must be neighbors, but yes, it's not the fans, although they should, if you look closely at his stats, success rate, ypa, he's one of the worst..

Even their owner quoted Lito's poor YPA in response to a question about why they pursued Samuel last year when they had lito

He's just not a good cover corner, maybe he has something to prove, maybe Rex can do something for him, but I'm just saying we aren't getting a pro bowl quality corner here.

Exactly. What are the chances of drafting a CB in the second round who will turn out better than Sheppard?

The second round isn't a bad place to look for CB's, but next year's second rounder won't help the Jets all that much in '09. ;-)

I'm actually happy with this trade. Lito's health is still a concern, that's part of what makes signing Corey Ivy such a good idea. Hell, I'd like to see what our new band of defensive geniuses can do with Ahmad Carroll.

It takes CB out of the running for the first round in the draft - and that's a good thing.

The second round isn't a bad place to look for CB's, but next year's second rounder won't help the Jets all that much in '09. ;-)

I'm actually happy with this trade. Lito's health is still a concern, that's part of what makes signing Corey Ivy such a good idea. Hell, I'd like to see what our new band of defensive geniuses can do with Ahmad Carroll.

It takes CB out of the running for the first round in the draft - and that's a good thing.

I don't know if I agree with that.

If CB is the BAP when we pick, then you take him, and don't have to thrust him into the starting lineup. Let him get some minutes... and all of the sudden we go from 0 depth, to great depth at the position.

I don't know if I agree with that.

If CB is the BAP when we pick, then you take him, and don't have to thrust him into the starting lineup. Let him get some minutes... and all of the sudden we go from 0 depth, to great depth at the position.

I thought CB was something of a long shot back when we had Coles and didn't have Lito, and now I think it's all but an impossibility. I can't imagine a CB sitting there at #17 that's so much better than other positions of need (WR, QB, DL) that we grab him. Even more so if they wind up signing Ivy.

I assume this an error - talks about 2010 and 2011 picks.

Sources: Sheppard to JetsComment Email Print Share By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Archive

First, he was forced out of the starting lineup by the acquisition of high-profile free agent Asante Samuel last season.

Now cornerback Lito Sheppard has been forced out of Philadelphia.

The Eagles on Saturday are expected to complete a trade which will send Sheppard to the New York Jets for a package of draft picks. Sources from both clubs on Friday night confirmed the trade.

Although details of the deal were not available, the Eagles are believed to be receiving a middle-round choice in the 2010 draft and conditional 2011 draft choice. The level of the 2011 choice will be determined by a number of factors including Sheppard's 2009 playing time.

Sheppard, 27, is a two-time Pro Bowl defender. He started for much of his career, but was supplanted by Samuel in 2008.

A seven-year veteran, Sheppard played mostly in nickel and dime situations for the Eagles last year. He started three games, the lowest number of starts since his second season.

Sheppard, a first-round draft choice in 2002 draft, appeared in 93 games and started 53 of them. He has 253 tackles, two sacks, 18 interceptions, and 54 passes defensed. The recent re-signing of cornerback Joselio Hanson to a multi-year deal, made Sheppard expendable for the Eagles. Hanson received an increasing amount of playing time as the No. 3 cornerback as last season progressed.

Sheppard is expected to step right into the starting lineup at the cornerback spot opposite the one occupied by Darrelle Revis.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com

I thought CB was something of a long shot back when we had Coles and didn't have Lito, and now I think it's all but an impossibility. I can't imagine a CB sitting there at #17 that's so much better than other positions of need (WR, QB, DL) that we grab him. Even more so if they wind up signing Ivy.

See, I thought we were terrible at the CB position.

And that's with a top 5 player in the game.

I'm with you here. I think we all knew from the beginning that if Vilma played well NO would let him go into FA then sign him right away. We got hosed on that one. Hats off to NO for putting that clause in the trade. I'm still miffed that we let Penny go for zippo.

But the Vilma trade pisses me off. They sign him on the first day of FA @ 5 years, $34M, $17 guaranteed? Obviously he's a player who's worth a second rounder to them. Tanny got hosed in the fine print on that one.

You seem confused. Nobody got hosed. What Vilma is worth to them is irrelevant. We knew - most of us, anyway - that the only way the pick was getting upped to a second was if Vilma had played so well that the Saints could not let him hit free agency. They did in fact let him hit free agency. The end.

Archived