Mangini Cleaning House Edwards to go?

Favorite_Toon

Reported by cimini...

Looks like Braylon Edwards is on the trade block...Would you give up our first round pick this year for him?

I would... I mean what reciever or player would we get in the first round at 17 that is going to be better then him?

One that doesn't drop half the passes thrown to him?

Reported by cimini...

Looks like Braylon Edwards is on the trade block...Would you give up our first round pick this year for him?

I would... I mean what reciever or player would we get in the first round at 17 that is going to be better then him?

I'd be interested. But NOT for our #1.

Kellen Winslow was traded for a 2nd and a 5th (or something along those lines), I think Braylon Edwards would take something similar, a draft pick this year (2nd or 3rd) with a Day 2 pick next year. I would be in favor of doing that thus allowing us to take Tyson Jackson from LSU if he's there at 17. If not, trade down and go for Gilbert from San Jose State.

Edwards led the NFL in drops last year (16) and was 2nd in 2007 (12).

The guy has all the tools to be dominant but lacks the focus.

Tough to say but I don't think I'd give up our 1st for him.

In seriousness, if we are considering taking a receiver at 17, we'd be stupid not to trade for Edwards. He sucked last year, but in 2007, he was a monster. There isn't a receiver in this draft class that's ever been to the Pro Bowl. And he's only 26.

In seriousness, if we are considering taking a receiver at 17, we'd be stupid not to trade for Edwards. He sucked last year, but in 2007, he was a monster. There isn't a receiver in this draft class that's ever been to the Pro Bowl. And he's only 26.

What if that DE from LSU is there... which is better for the team?

My concern with him is that having young QBs tossing him the ball will not help his dropping problem...

What if that DE from LSU is there... which is better for the team?

Wide Receiver.

We currently have a HUGE hole at the receiver position while we have a very good DE and an average DE, both starters.

Again, if Baltimore can get it done with Trevor Pyrce and Justin Bannan (Who was he before 2008?) the Jets can get it done with Shaun Ellis and Kenyon Coleman if need be.

I'm not sure what to make of Braylon Edwards. He played "lights out" in 2007. Gets a commercial on the NFLN and just when everyone gets to know him him "stinks up the joint". I wouldn't give up a first rounder for him but he's young and his rookie contract should be getting close to expiring...hint...hint...he'll improve his play enough to ensure another huge payday in this economy...gotta feed the kids and all that. At the bargain basement price Man-Kok will ship him off for let's get him in here...

FWIW...Trade Rumors: Braylon Edwards to the Giants for Mathias Kiwanuka

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2009/03/browns-trade-rumors-braylon-edwards-for-mathias-kiwanuka-giants/

The deal makes sense for both teams on several levels. The Giants would be looking for a credible replacement for WR Plaxico Burress, and are keeping Kiwanuka as a defensive end in a three-man rotation after he switched from linebacker last year.

The 6

He had the worst catch percentage in the league last year, competing with such luminaries as Justin McCarreins. You guys remember McDropkins right? Why do you want a more expensive version?

There is no way he just had 16. I actually watched him play in about 8 or so games at least last year, he had at least 24 in those games I watched. I remember counting.

Guys like TO and some other WRs do have a lot of drops, but they also get a lot more passes thrown their way and catch a lot more. That's why you look at catch percentage, and Braylon had one of the five worst in the league last year, and nobody good is on that list. I think he was the worst most of the year actually.

Why take a risk on this guy when you have other good options? If you're looking for a breakout player, take a serious look at Antonio Bryant, who I believe is a free agent and will come a lot cheaper, and also won't give you any headaches. Braylon is a strange case, on the one hand he does do a lot of charity work and you'll never read about him committing any crimes, on the other, he says some really dumb things sometimes (like how the Cleveland fans all hate him because he is from Michigan or smething). In this market, where everything gets magnified, that is a recipe for disaster.

Most of the reports I read had the Browns choosing between Edwards and Winslow. I can't see blowing up the offense that much. This is just Cimini talking **** and supposedly the Giants offered Kiwanuka. When you try to value Edwards remember that his contract is up after this year, so whatever you give up you are getting a one year rental. You have to treat it almost as a FA deal because you are going to have to pay him, though with the CBA in doubt the 2010 cap will probably go up a ton, so that might not be as big a deal as in the past.

He had the worst catch percentage in the league last year, competing with such luminaries as Justin McCarreins. You guys remember McDropkins right? Why do you want a more expensive version?

There is no way he just had 16. I actually watched him play in about 8 or so games at least last year, he had at least 24 in those games I watched. I remember counting.

Guys like TO and some other WRs do have a lot of drops, but they also get a lot more passes thrown their way and catch a lot more. That's why you look at catch percentage, and Braylon had one of the five worst in the league last year, and nobody good is on that list. I think he was the worst most of the year actually.

Why take a risk on this guy when you have other good options? If you're looking for a breakout player, take a serious look at Antonio Bryant, who I believe is a free agent and will come a lot cheaper, and also won't give you any headaches. Braylon is a strange case, on the one hand he does do a lot of charity work and you'll never read about him committing any crimes, on the other, he says some really dumb things sometimes (like how the Cleveland fans all hate him because he is from Michigan or smething). In this market, where everything gets magnified, that is a recipe for disaster.

In the article I found where it said he had 16 they actually said:

"Edwards led the league with 16 drops, but the NFL is very lenient with their drops scoring. Talk to Browns' fans and they will tell you he dropped double that amount."

Exactly right and on top of that I'm pretty sure this is the second year in a row he's led the leage in drops. This has been a recurring issue pretty much his whole career, even going back to college, and it hasn't really improved. His potential is obvious but I say pass. I like my receivers to actually catch the ball.

i was talking about him every day until the bucs franchised him. so, unfortunately, he's not going to be available. he was the guy i really wnated us to get, but the damn bucs had to go and franchise him.

I would give them a #2 and one of Mangini's favorites in a heartbeat for Braylon.

But there is no way in hell I would give them our 1st round pick for Braylon.

When you look at a 1st round pick on a team with a rookie HC, it really becomes the center piece and the future of what that HC has in mind. Its one of the most important and valuable pieces for that coach to build around....Braylon Edwards is not worth jeopardizing.

Not the first rounder but the guy is SO talented. A change of scenery and a fresh start could do him a world of good. He really is a confidence player. I'd give a 2nd in a heartbeat and like others have suggested throw in a Mangini guy too.

Archived