Clemens wants to start

rick34125

ESPN.com: ESPNNewYork

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Clemens wants to start -- somewhere

By Jane McManus

ESPNNewYork.com

Kellen Clemens isn't in a rush to sign his tender this year. Now going into his fifth season with the Jets, the quarterback knows he will always be limited here, and that the clock is ticking on his NFL career.

"There's no future for me here starting, that's clear," Clemens said. "There's a future for one guy here to star and play and that's Mark [sanchez], and that's why they drafted him. And he's a very talented quarterback. So I'm not at the point where I'm willing to give up my dream of having a chance to play and start."

The Jets tendered Clemens this year at a third-round pick. He was drafted in the second round in 2006, but the when the Jets offered both Leon Washington and Brad Smith second-round tenders, Clemens was bumped to the third.

He started for nine games in 2007 when then-quarterback Chad Pennington was injured, but didn't perform well enough to win the starting job outright. In 2008 the pair were to square off in a training camp competition before Brett Favre arrived. Clemens was the designated backup that season as Pennington signed with Miami.

When Favre "retired" after his one season and the Jets released him, Clemens and Brett Ratliff were in the hunt for the vacated starting spot when the Jets traded up to get Sanchez.

On Wednesday, Clemens met with veteran quarterback Mark Brunell when he came to the Jets for a visit.

"After being in New York for four years there's not much that surprises me," Clemens said. "After Brett Farve came here? There's not a lot that surprises me."

Through the uncertainty of playing in New York, Clemens and his wife Nicole started a family. So when he thinks about the future represented by that tender, he has more to consider.

"It makes it weigh on your mind a little bit more when you have a family," Clemens said.

Clemens can listen to any other teams but has an April 15 deadline to sign his tender. He has no way of knowing if the Jets will bring in someone above him, or have him continue as the main backup to Sanchez.

"The only thing that I can control is whether I sign that tender today or a week from today," Clemens said.

Jane McManus is a columnist for ESPNNewYork.com. You can follow her on Twitter.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

By Jane McManus

ESPNNewYork.com

Kellen Clemens isn't in a rush to sign his tender this year. Now going into his fifth season with the Jets, the quarterback knows he will always be limited here, and that the clock is ticking on his NFL career.

"There's no future for me here starting, that's clear," Clemens said. "There's a future for one guy here to star and play and that's Mark [sanchez], and that's why they drafted him. And he's a very talented quarterback. So I'm not at the point where I'm willing to give up my dream of having a chance to play and start."

The Jets tendered Clemens this year at a third-round pick. He was drafted in the second round in 2006, but the when the Jets offered both Leon Washington and Brad Smith second-round tenders, Clemens was bumped to the third.

He started for nine games in 2007 when then-quarterback Chad Pennington was injured, but didn't perform well enough to win the starting job outright. In 2008 the pair were to square off in a training camp competition before Brett Favre arrived. Clemens was the designated backup that season as Pennington signed with Miami.

When Favre "retired" after his one season and the Jets released him, Clemens and Brett Ratliff were in the hunt for the vacated starting spot when the Jets traded up to get Sanchez.

On Wednesday, Clemens met with veteran quarterback Mark Brunell when he came to the Jets for a visit.

"After being in New York for four years there's not much that surprises me," Clemens said. "After Brett Farve came here? There's not a lot that surprises me."

Through the uncertainty of playing in New York, Clemens and his wife Nicole started a family. So when he thinks about the future represented by that tender, he has more to consider.

"It makes it weigh on your mind a little bit more when you have a family," Clemens said.

Clemens can listen to any other teams but has an April 15 deadline to sign his tender. He has no way of knowing if the Jets will bring in someone above him, or have him continue as the main backup to Sanchez.

"The only thing that I can control is whether I sign that tender today or a week from today," Clemens said.

Bingo Kellen...did you ever think if you showed some promise, they (Jets) never would have drafted Sanchez.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

By Jane McManus

ESPNNewYork.com

I think the Jets really believe KC is worth a 5th rounder, but they are hoping someone will offer them a 4th for him. That is why they tendered him a 3. To make the other guy think he is fleecing them. Just kidding, of course. He has slipped so far, he doesn't start in the arena league.

as long as you're thinking wishfully why not shrink it back to a more comfortable size. ;)

I am going to take one out of Crusher's playbook.

I just want it to be that big so I can see it again. I miss it.

He has been so awful whenever he's had an opportunity I don't know any team that would seriously pursue him. Maybe the Rams use him as a stop gap while they develop another QB, but after Sanchez, Flacco and Ryan I think everyone will just draft and start their QBs from day one.

There is only one thing that is preventing Clemens from being a starter: lack of talent. Other than that, he's all set.

I think he's talented enough to start, but the sick joke that was the 07 offensive line has given him David Carr syndrome. Maybe he goes somewhere else and recovers from it. Probably not, but maybe.

I think he's talented enough to start, but the sick joke that was the 07 offensive line has given him David Carr syndrome. Maybe he goes somewhere else and recovers from it. Probably not, but maybe.

Yea, it's unlikely he gets over it. Crappy OLs rock the psyche of a young QB...

That said, the window's certainly not closed and he could probably do with getting away from here. He's the butt of fan jokes because he failed to save that '07 team, and he's not going to get away from that here. I don't get it either...he's done nothing wrong but not put up great stats on a terrible offense in his only multi-start season (and he actually played well and won some games then too).

I want my penis to be 12 inches long.

Mods please rename this thread to "wishful thinking".

It's really more of a burden than anything else. Scares more girls away than anything, and has a tendency to pop out of my low-rider jeans too easily.

Good for him. I hope it works out for him and someone gives him a shot.

Really. What's he gonna say, that he wants to be a career backup? There aren't many of those jobs around anymore. The NFL used to have that position, but now your backup is generally a guy who's either been a starter before, or is hopeful of being one in the future.

With a young starter in place, the Jets really fall into the category of having the been there, done that backup - not that anyone's mistaking Clemens for an up & comer anymore.

It's really more of a burden than anything else. Scares more girls away than anything, and has a tendency to pop out of my low-rider jeans too easily.

And Then you snapped back to reailty, and the woman was still asking "Honey, are you in yet?"

Just kidding, just kidding

Good for him. I hope it works out for him and someone gives him a shot.

What team is going to give Kellen Clemens a try? I don't know of any. Even when he subbed for Sanchez this past season, he was only allowed to hand the ball off, and not put it in the air. This guy inspires real confidence!

His performance against Tampa Bay, even in a winning effort, shows that if Clemens is going to improve he needs to be on another team. How he gets to that team, even as a backup, is another problem altogether. Maybe some former Jet assistant now working somewhere else will put in a good word for him. It would take something like that.

What team is going to give Kellen Clemens a try? I don't know of any. Even when he subbed for Sanchez this past season, he was only allowed to hand the ball off, and not put it in the air. This guy inspires real confidence!

How/why would you? Why would anyone want Charlie Whitehurst?

How/why would you? Why would anyone want Charlie Whitehurst?

I think that Clemens has regressed the past couple of years and he may be better than what he is showing lately. If he's going to improve, he needs to go to a different team.

Football coaching is a fairly closed world with the same assistants going to different teams as they move up the ladder. If Clemens is available, which is quite possible, some former Jet assistant now on another team might put in a word to give him a tryout and that gets him a job as a backup. Then if the starter there goes into a slump for five games or gets injured, anything can happen.

All this is assuming that Clemens has starter capability, which is open to question. I just think it is at least possible he's better than what he's been showing lately. When Favre got to the Jets, something seemed to go out of Clemens, and he needs a change of scenery if he is to progress-if he ever does.

Archived