Alan Faneca Waived: MERGED

NJ

FYI, the only reason people called it a money move is that Mike Lombardi (the original source of the Faneca will be cut rumor) said the Jets were releasing Faneca purely because of money.

Lombardi cited weak PSL sales and cost cutting as the reason the Jets would be getting rid of Faneca.

He sounds as smart as the people who bought that.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey do me a favor and go to youtube and search up the Chargers/Jets PLAYOFF highlights. Find the Greene touchdown run. Try to actually watch that and see who was involved with that. K thx.

Did he do something there that another offensive lineman couldn't?

I believe Faneca has an offset in his contract where the Jets get a dollar for dollar credit based on whatever new deal he receives. A little birdy told me that the Jets are cutting costs this year for a few reasons. One is that they have spent alot these last two years and that the organization feels they are ready to win now and can do so without some of these big cash guys on the books. Secondly they are getting prepared to save the cash to try to re-sign many of our guys next year. That's a big factor. The Jets used the money saved on Faneca to start paying off the Ghost now. His cash is almost completely off the books at this point.

On a side note it also seems to me as if Rex is clearing out anyone that could be an "old leader" of the team as he wants the younger guys and his signings to take over that role. At this point I dont think I would be shocked to see BT and Ellis cut as rumored for that reason. If it happens I wonder how the team will react. Damien Woody was certainly PO'ed if you read his comments.

If you are pissed Faneca is gone cause you like him or don't think he was a liability last year (which at many times he WAS), that is fine. But please, STOP calling it a "money move." $5.5 of his $7.5M is guaranteed and the Jets are STILL paying it to him. You really think they cut him to save $2M?

They cut him because they obviously no longer thought he was the best man for the job. Woody has proven over, and over (and OVER) he is willing to spend whatever money it takes to improve this team's roster. You don't cut a would be starter over $2M.

Callahan obviously gave this move his blessing. All Rex ever talks about is how Callahan is the best OLine coach in the NFL. If Callahan told Mike, Rex, and Woody, "No. Don't do it. We need him!" He would still be on the team and we wouldn't have spent a 2nd round pick on a Guard.

If it isn't a money move why not keep him as a backup? Let someone else beat him out in camp? Wouldn't be a bad guy to have around for depth.

I believe Faneca has an offset in his contract where the Jets get a dollar for dollar credit based on whatever new deal he receives. A little birdy told me that the Jets are cutting costs this year for a few reasons. One is that they have spent alot these last two years and that the organization feels they are ready to win now and can do so without some of these big cash guys on the books. Secondly they are getting prepared to save the cash to try to re-sign many of our guys next year. That's a big factor. The Jets used the money saved on Faneca to start paying off the Ghost now. His cash is almost completely off the books at this point.

On a side note it also seems to me as if Rex is clearing out anyone that could be an "old leader" of the team as he wants the younger guys and his signings to take over that role. At this point I dont think I would be shocked to see BT and Ellis cut as rumored for that reason. If it happens I wonder how the team will react. Damien Woody was certainly PO'ed if you read his comments.

Good post Jason. I really hope it doesn't come down to that with Ellis. I don't see how they could afford to do it at that position.

Did anyone see Cimini's blog post?

Sorry to interrupt, Alan, but ...

April, 24, 2010 Apr 24

12:55 PM ET

Email Print Share

By Rich Cimini

There's lousy timing, and really lousy timing. Here's a a case of the latter.

On Friday night, Alan Faneca and teammate Nick Mangold were out together for dinner and drinks, joined by their significant others, when Faneca received a phone call from the Jets. According to sources, it was Rex Ryan, calling to inform Faneca that he was being released. Indeed, that release became official Saturday.

Talk about killing a nice evening out on the town.

The Jets had just drafted former UMass G/T Vlad Ducasse in the second round, sealing Faneca's fate with the team. They had been shopping him for weeks, looking for a taker that never stepped up. As soon as they landed Ducasse, hardly a sure thing, the Faneca speculation spread like fire.

Ryan at least had the courtesy to call Faneca himself to explain the situation. Unfortunately, the timing stunk.

If it isn't a money move why not keep him as a backup? Let someone else beat him out in camp? Wouldn't be a bad guy to have around for depth.

He wouldn't take a pay cut. At the end of the day, it's all about the money. Same with Feely. They love playing for Rex, but Rex isn't paying for their 4 cribs.

How can anyone else see this as anything else other than an accounting move? As in, accounting for our young core and making sure they're signed for the future after this season.

The other position I'm looking at for cost-cutting ILB. Hopefully someone steps up there so we can pay Harris and get rid of Scott...

Jason, has nyjetscap been updated?

He wouldn't take a pay cut. At the end of the day, it's all about the money. Same with Feely. They love playing for Rex, but Rex isn't paying for their 4 cribs.

Well some have written that he was guaranteed 5.5 million this year and only lost 2 million by being cut. Now I have no idea if that is true. But, if it is, he could certainly go play somewhere else for more than 2 million I would think and get a nice raise for himself.

The weird part would be that he would miss out on the Super Bowl here, just like he did in Pittsburgh.

that's what Cimini said yesterday on Twitter Max and that the total cost for his 2 years of service? 20 MILLION BUCKS!!! So the guy couldn't restructure his deal? I will not shed one tear for the Faneca family-5.25 MILLION is a very golden, golden parachute

Well some have written that he was guaranteed 5.5 million this year and only lost 2 million by being cut. Now I have no idea if that is true. But, if it is, he could certainly go play somewhere else for more than 2 million I would think and get a nice raise for himself.

The weird part would be that he would miss out on the Super Bowl here, just like he did in Pittsburgh.

Didn't he get one ring with Pitt?

How can anyone else see this as anything else other than an accounting move? As in, accounting for our young core and making sure they're signed for the future after this season.

The other position I'm looking at for cost-cutting ILB. Hopefully someone steps up there so we can pay Harris and get rid of Scott...

Faneca was the overpriced weak link on a solid OL. They will be able to plug & play with a younger, cheaper guard - and very possibly improve as soon as this season.

But neither Bart nor Harris is going anywhere, dood. Scott is Rex's boy. He's here 'til there's a year left on his deal - at the very least.

Faneca was the overpriced weak link on a solid OL. They will be able to plug & play with a younger, cheaper guard - and very possibly improve as soon as this season.

But neither Bart nor Harris is going anywhere, dood. Scott is Rex's boy. He's here 'til there's a year left on his deal - at the very least.

one thing you gotta say about the Jets-they know how to draft OLmen-with the exception of the Herman Edwards regime who drafted I think only one during his tenure here Johnathon Goodwin and we didn't even keep him

one thing you gotta say about the Jets-they know how to draft OLmen-with the exception of the Herman Edwards regime who drafted I think only one during his tenure here Johnathon Goodwin and we didn't even keep him

Goodwin was horrible. McKenzie was a good player that Bradway/Edwards drafted but they let him walk in the FA market to the Giants of all teams.

On second thought... I believe Brandon Moore was their responsibility as well...Correct?

no BS here Phil. I heard he was a issue with his attitude lately about cutting Jones/Feely etc. Add in fact Callahan apparently doesnt think he is starter material any longer due to Faneca being lowest graded pass protector on OL. Jets love to run, but we got Cotch/Keller/Edwards/Holmes now for a reason.

Goodwin started for this year's Super Bowl Champs.

Goodwin developed well, but we don't know how good he was with the Jets.

So long as the Faneca release had more to do with talent than money then I can accept that.

Callahan is the second highest paid assistant on the team so he's going to have to earn his salary to make sure that either Slauson or Vlad the Pancaker is an upgrade over Faneca.

Ryan at least had the courtesy to call Faneca himself to explain the situation. Unfortunately, the timing stunk.

Oh

Come

On

This is like the old, never a good time to break up nonsense. You can't break up before they're birthday, certainly not shortly afterwords... Then, Christmas is just around the corner, can't break up then, plus you already had plans for New Years, but if you wait, what are you going to kill it right before valentines day? Then maybe her dog died, only a cruel person would dump someone after their dog died. When is it ok?

It's easy to look back a couple of years at the Kendal situation and make the comparison. Shottenheimer isn't an inexperienced OC and Callahan wasn't here. This is a much better staff and much more experienced including the GM than the one that screwed the Kendal situation. We aren't looking for a veteran to add stability between a young Center and LT. We are looking for a veteran all pro center and LT to help transistion the guy between them to make the OL more athletic, younger and a better pass blocking unit.

Oh

Come

On

This is like the old, never a good time to break up nonsense. You can't break up before they're birthday, certainly not shortly afterwords... Then, Christmas is just around the corner, can't break up then, plus you already had plans for New Years, but if you wait, what are you going to kill it right before valentines day? Then maybe her dog died, only a cruel person would dump someone after their dog died. When is it ok?

The NY Rangers traded Brian Leetch on his birthday and Sather did not even make the call to tell him.

Leetch was home grown and is the best Ranger ever, Faneca got the royal treatment as far as I'm concerned.

Oh and $20 million for two years to boot, I won't shed a tear!

no BS here Phil. I heard he was a issue with his attitude lately about cutting Jones/Feely etc. Add in fact Callahan apparently doesnt think he is starter material any longer due to Faneca being lowest graded pass protector on OL. Jets love to run, but we got Cotch/Keller/Edwards/Holmes now for a reason.

I personally thought he was the worst run blocker too. He has been getting by on rep for a long while now. There's no way anybody in their right mind would say faneca is a better run blocker than Mangold, Woody or Moore. At his best he is better than Brick in run block, although I don't think that is a sure thing.

Goodwin developed well, but we don't know how good he was with the Jets.

So long as the Faneca release had more to do with talent than money then I can accept that.

Callahan is the second highest paid assistant on the team so he's going to have to earn his salary to make sure that either Slauson or Vlad the Pancaker is an upgrade over Faneca.

I always liked the fact that Goodwin could play several OL positions.

This is a point I had actually touched on earlier and I think is actually the entirety of the reason he got cut. Cutting a guy like Faneca is bound to upset some people now. But a couple of months are going to go by, the Jets will have some players who will step in and get the job done (at least they believe so), and before you know it, it will be in the past and forgotten about. Come opening day, nobody will be thinking about Faneca unless the Jets new LG is beyond awful.

On the flip side, if the Jets keep him while being unhappy with him and planning to replace him, that causes much bigger problems. You have a guy who's a long-term veteran, Pro Bowler, locker room leader and not to mention, one of the highest paid players on the team. Now you're gong to come in and tell him he has to compete for his job with a rookie, a second-year 6th round pick and a couple of career backups? That is a recipe for a lot of problems, Faneca likely isn't going to accept it and his OL buddies will likely takes his side. It will only cause more issues in the lockerroom and put unfair pressure on whoever his replacement is. If the Jets had already decided they wanted somebody else other than Faneca starting in that spot, he had to go.

Don't see why we'd get rid of our best MLB. Scott is a beast and a large part of the reason why this defense works as well as it does.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5135095

When Alan Faneca signed with the New York Jets two years ago, he figured it would be the ideal place to finish his career -- a career that might land him in the Hall of Fame someday.

On Friday night, Day 2 of the NFL draft, the former Jets guard received a phone call from coach Rex Ryan, and everything changed. Faneca, a nine-time Pro Bowl selection, was fired.

Commenting for the first time since his release, Faneca expressed mixed emotions about his departure, but he did say he was "upset" with the Jets' decision to let a couple of unproven players battle for his former job.

"I'm not sure what I am," Faneca said Sunday afternoon in an e-mail to ESPNNewYork.com. "I'm not necessarily angry, but I did not want things to end the way they did. I'm upset with their decision. I think they made the decision that they felt was for the future of the team.

"That's fine, this is a business, but everyone wants to leave on their own terms. I'll move on and find another opportunity to play. My family and I had a great time being part of the Jets and the community and will always look at our time here and the friends we made as a great time in our lives."

Faneca, 33, didn't say where he might end up, but he figures to attract interest. The Jets owe him $5.25 million, so he probably will sign somewhere for the veterans minimum -- a bargain for a team looking for an accomplished former Super Bowl champion.

"We did a lot of great things last year on the field," Faneca said. "I guess the phrase, 'If it ain't broke, then don't fix it' doesn't apply here. I think they put a lot of faith in Cally [offensive line coach Bill Callahan], as do I. He is a great coach that they feel he can get the job done."

The Jets' offensive line was arguably the best in the league last season, as the Jets led the NFL in rushing. Faneca, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Nick Mangold, Brandon Moore and Damien Woody started 32 consecutive games together, the longest streak in the NFL.

It'll be a two-man battle for Faneca's job between second-year backup Matt Slauson (no NFL starts) and second-round pick Vladimir Ducasse.

Nah, i think the Raiders are set on the run blocking front. They have Gallery who, although a bust at LT, has been a beast inside at LG. They need some pass protection, not Faneca's strength at all.

I wouldn't put it past Davis though.

BTW, faneca may have been upset but he was pretty classy and understanding with his comments.

Archived