Can someone please explain this to me?

GhostOfGlennFoley

Just to preface this, this post isn't meant to be antagonistic in an yway, I'm just genuinely curious about something that has bugged me for the last couple of years.

I'm currently Twenty two years old and have been a Jets fan since their 3-13 year in 1995 under Kotite. Jet's fandom did not run in my family, I think it was something about being inherently attracted to the Underdog that made me like the team. Anyways, they've been my favorite team since that year and I've seen a decent amount of players come and go.

I'm mostly curious about one thing, why is it that a large portion of Jets fan have a seemingly irrational hatred of Chad Pennington? I mean, the man took over for Vinny in 2002 and became our franchise quarterback for the next five years (injury issues aside). He never made any disputatious remark, was a team leader, and was genuinely well liked by everyone he's ever met. The whole time he was here, he was the most selfless leader a team could hope for at a Quarterback. His major goal was to lead the New York Jets to the Super Bowl. Even when he had to take a backseat to Clemens in 2007, he did it with grace and humility.

The man has also shown a strong, compassionate side through his 1st and 10 organization.

I understand that through years and years of wear and tear, he has slowly degenerated into an mediocre QB, but is that something that we can really brand him as being despicable for?

Thanks

they don't really hate penny. the just got so invlolved the all of the on-line debates that they got turned into extremists of a sort.

it's really just an innerweb phenomenon imho

I bet when they are tailgating with friends they say things like, "what a shame he got hurt, he was good in '02"

I didn't check the IP but I think Boom Boom is back.

I never understood why Chad was knocked so much. He had a ton of heart, gave everything he had and played hurt. Not sure what more you could ask for.

Naw, I've been a frequent visitor of the forum since around the time they traded for Favre and casted Chad aside in August '08. I've just preferred to read the insights and opinions of Jets fan and never really felt the urge to post until now.

It's just been frustrating to see a man get constantly castigated when all he ever did was try his hardest for an organization that we all love.

Naw, I've been a frequent visitor of the forum since around the time they traded for Favre and casted Chad aside in August '08. I've just preferred to read the insights and opinions of Jets fan and never really felt the urge to post until now.

It's just been frustrating to see a man get constantly castigated when all he ever did was try his hardest for an organization that we all love.

Okay. Well then thanks for jumping in and starting to post!

I think the comparisons that Penny had after that 02 season got our hopes so high that with the repeated injuries and the lack of talent around him at the time we were really let down.

I remember when Penny was going to be the next "Montana", especially after that 41-0 blowout of Peyton and the Colts.

I think the comparisons that Penny had after that 02 season got our hopes so high that with the repeated injuries and the lack of talent around him at the time we were really let down.

I remember when Penny was going to be the next "Montana", especially after that 41-0 blowout of Peyton and the Colts.

That's the answer. Wasn't really his fault, but our expections.

Whats with the Avatar Villain? Been a change in your life? :D

You ever get to 3rd base with a chick? Well, neither have I, but I imagine it's kind of like that. You finally get some action, and want more. Only to be let down.

That's Chad Pennington in a nutshell, ****tease.

Just to preface this, this post isn't meant to be antagonistic in an yway, I'm just genuinely curious about something that has bugged me for the last couple of years.

I'm currently Twenty two years old and have been a Jets fan since their 3-13 year in 1995 under Kotite.

You've got another 60 years of seeing people do weird crap that doesn't make sense in your future.

You always knew when the pick six's were coming too... IT was ALWAYS early in the fourth quarter, and also almost ALWAYS when we were down, but still had a shot if we could get a quick score and a stop on defense. You know, when we kind of HAD to pass to stay in the game and the defense knew it... Chad would attempt an out, float it up there, and a safety or a corner in zone would just step right in front and run it back the other way to practically end the game.

I believe I correctly predicted five pick six's in Chad's last year here ('07). I just looked at my friends and said "here comes a pick six". A play or two later..whattaya know? I think I even predicted it once in a game thread here as well.

You always knew when the pick six's were coming too... IT was ALWAYS early in the fourth quarter, and also almost ALWAYS when we were down, but still had a shot if we could get a quick score and a stop on defense. You know, when we kind of HAD to pass to stay in the game and the defense knew it... Chad would attempt an out, float it up there, and a safety or a corner in zone would just step right in front and run it back the other way to practically end the game.

I believe I correctly predicted five pick six's in Chad's last year here ('07). I just looked at my friends and said "here comes a pick six". A play or two later..whattaya know? I think I even predicted it once in a game thread here as well.

That is true lol. Chad always had a way of throwing that backbreaking INT in the 4th.

I can only speak for myself, but I never hated Chad. His duckballs and picks would frusterate me, sure . But hate? No. He gave his body for the franchise, and you can't ask for any more than that.

Lol at hating Penny for pick six's! Vinny T, Brett, and Sanchez were far more likely to give it up the other way than Penny ever was. Chad was a good man and a decent QB. You can thank Herman Edwards for his downslide. He played his QB hurt and then played him before he recovered getting him hurt again. The guys arm was only fair to start with, but a couple of seasons under Hermy ruined his career for good.

He went to the Dolphins just to stick it to us.

No he didn't. He took the first good offer that was presented to him. He was looking to still be a starter, and the Phags were the only team dumb enough to allow him that and to give him a good amount of money.

Put another way, if your company let u go, would you take the best offer that came your way even if it was your prior companies arch rival?

I don't think anyone hates Penny, it's just that most of us expected more results from the "franchise" QB. He had a good 2002 season, and a few good moments. But you expect the franchise QB to at least get you to the Championship game, which he didn't. Compound that with the franchises long championship drought, and you have disappointment of epic proportions. Penny the player and his shortcomings is what is hated.

What a sweet game that was , in the playoffs no less. :biggrin:

I don't think anyone hates Penny, it's just that most of us expected more results from the "franchise" QB. He had a good 2002 season, and a few good moments. But you expect the franchise QB to at least get you to the Championship game, which he didn't. Compound that with the franchises long championship drought, and you have disappointment of epic proportions. Penny the player and his shortcomings is what is hated.

My feelings exactly.

I love Chad Pennington. He has heart and soul and did everything you could ask of a player.

He just wasnt good enough for us to win.

And with the constant battles on the message board about chad and his abilities, it only seems as if we hate him. Im sure probably most Jets fans respected him as a man and a football player.

From the nck up he was everything you want in a QB. It was when the snap came that the problems would start. Always liked Pennington, you could never fault him for his effort, it was his physical limitations that were ultimately his downfall.

From the nck up he was everything you want in a QB.

no

It was when the snap came that the problems would start. Always liked Pennington, you could never fault him for his effort, it was his physical limitations that were ultimately his downfall.

I can. He was a ***** who put his completion % and purse before the team

Yeah, Pennington threads! I guess we are looking to bring the old JN back.

My feelings exactly.

I love Chad Pennington. He has heart and soul and did everything you could ask of a player.

He just wasnt good enough for us to win.

And with the constant battles on the message board about chad and his abilities, it only seems as if we hate him. Im sure probably most Jets fans respected him as a man and a football player.

He was good enough to win. That was the problem. He was good enough to win plenty of games, but he wasn't good enough to get you out of the divisional playoff round. Like Herm having a winning record as a coach. He could win, just not win enough and he was often completely, embarassingly overmatched.

Lol at hating Penny for pick six's! Vinny T, Brett, and Sanchez were far more likely to give it up the other way than Penny ever was.

So you're comparing him to two of the all-time INT leaders, one of which had a torn bicep (Favre), and a rookie? Of course that's going to make Chad look more favorable. Problem is, unlike Chad, all those guys could throw it downfield.

Pennington, STILL labeled by some as the "most accurate QB of all-time", wasn't SUPPOSED to be a pick-six guy. All he did was throw checkdown passes and dumpoffs. He was supposed to be a game manager. And he couldn't even do that, especially when up against a top-flight defense. What was his career record against the Steelers, Ravens and Patriots...2-12?

The biggest problem with Chad was that he was good enough to beat bad teams and even get you to the playoffs now and again. But he was NEVER good enough to win a championship. If he was just terrible, it would strangely be more forgivable. It made him almost impossible to love but almost impossible to let go. Hence, we paid $64 million to what amounted to be an injury-prone, average quarterback.

So you're comparing him to two of the all-time INT leaders, one of which had a torn bicep (Favre), and a rookie? Of course that's going to make Chad look more favorable. Problem is, unlike Chad, all those guys could throw it downfield.

Pennington, STILL labeled by some as the "most accurate QB of all-time", wasn't SUPPOSED to be a pick-six guy. All he did was throw checkdown passes and dumpoffs. He was supposed to be a game manager. And he couldn't even do that, especially when up against a top-flight defense. What was his career record against the Steelers, Ravens and Patriots...2-12?

The biggest problem with Chad was that he was good enough to beat bad teams and even get you to the playoffs now and again. But he was NEVER good enough to win a championship. If he was just terrible, it would strangely be more forgivable. It made him almost impossible to love but almost impossible to let go. Hence, we paid $64 million to what amounted to be an injury-prone, average quarterback.

IMO he was an above average quarterback. The problem is that is more an indication of the state of quarterbacks than his ability.

Yeah, Pennington threads! I guess we are looking to bring the old JN back.

He was good enough to win. That was the problem. He was good enough to win plenty of games, but he wasn't good enough to get you out of the divisional playoff round. Like Herm having a winning record as a coach. He could win, just not win enough and he was often completely, embarassingly overmatched.

By win I meant championships. Shoulda clarified that. You are exactly right. He and Herm look great on paper, but the reality is they couldnt beat the good teams when it counted the most.

Archived