knicks free agency thread

Larz

Those same reports are saying that Denver is not putting a deadline so Melo has until July 1, 2011 to sign the extension. Those reports also say that Melo is in no rush to sign the extension because of that.

Can't blame them. As long as he's not demanding anything, it makes zero sense for Denver to trade him. On the other hand, it also means that Walsh might have to rely on the already tested patience of Knick fans for yet another year. And reports have it that Dolan does not.

To tell you the truth, I've had a few days to sit on it, and I really couldn't be a bigger fan of this signing. It keeps things open for the future and makes us immediately relevant again.

http://nba-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/23014584

That's a statistical breakdown of both defensively. I think we landed the 3rd best FA right off the bat, and we have room for 1-2 more over the next year, with just a ton of options on the table for both front and backcourt players. Not to mention the guy has a ton of experience going deep in the postseason, something which we haven't had in a really long time on the roster. The confidence and overall mentality of the guy fits the Garden perfectly. And perhaps most importantly it's actual direction instead of just empty hopes...hopefully it puts an end to this small ball BS and we can finally get nasty inside, something which Lee, bless his heart, was never able to do with anybody. I just can't buy into the Nash-product argument, not with how good he was from the break on last year. If that Stoudemire shows up on a regular basis, he's worth every penny of that contract.

On the Melo tip, if that's the direction, pray your balls off that Gallo continues the upward trend he exhibited the last month of the season. Trade hopes rest on him from here on out.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is actually an interesting scenario, because the sign-and-trade to CLE gives him the extra year and the extra $30m, but it also means that in 3 years when LeBron leaves for real, he's right back where he started: struggling to get a bunch of bums into the playoffs in the East.

Hoopshype is saying it would actually be a 2-year deal.

Looks like Boozer may be part of the contingency plan, though I can't believe he'll take that much less than a max deal and that we'd be that foolish. Regardless, a frontcourt of Boozer/Gallo/Ama're would be intriguing.

Source: Knicks, Boozer Discussing

Posted: 7/7/2010 5:18:00 AM

Source: Ian O'Connor of ESPNNewYork.com

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20100707#STORY_27058#ixzz0t0DbxvJf

The New York Knicks have had exploratory talks with Carlos Boozer, a source close to the situation told ESPNNewYork.com.

It's unclear how Boozer would fit with a team that just gave a five-year, $100 million deal to another power forward, Amare Stoudemire, but the source said a meeting between the Knicks and Boozer is "possible."

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineStories.asp?lc=NBA&c=1&TEAM_ID=&PLAYER_ID=&hd=20100707#STORY_27058#ixzz0t0DO1M8o

Also:

Could LeBron’s delay be working in New York’s favor? Quite possibly. Sources to Hoopsworld.com’s Alex Kennedy claim James’ business advisors Maverick Carter and Randy Mims could be traveling to New York on Wednesday, and LeBron may be joining them.

Carter and Mims have reportedly been grilling the Knicks’ for details on their salary cap and free-agent plans over the past few days, and there are rumblings about a massive Knicks press conference later this week – and not just for Stoudemire, who will officially sign his five-year deal on Thursday. “Something bigger may be happening in the Big Apple,” wrote Kennedy.

Over the last few days, the Knicks have been viewed as longshots to land LeBron, but some believe their second meeting with LeBron’s camp late Saturday, and the deal to bring on All-Star forward Stoudemire — they’re also set to meet with point guard Raymond Felton — have made the Knicks’ very attractive to The King.

I just dont see LeBron taking a gigantic dump on his entire hometown on national teleivision.

He's staying in Cleveland.

This whole thing makes me uneasy....he's looking like a bitch.

I believe he's staying also, but this is interesting. Bosh turned down playing in Cleveland and Boozer basically dissed Cleveland a couple of years ago.

The prime time show was stupid either way!

If he stays, he'll look like an attention whore, he could have announced he was staying months ago.

Not to mention he'll look like a scared little b*tch, because the Knicks are offering so much more, the Bulls too for that matter.

If he goes, he'll look bad for breaking his hometown's heart on national TV.

The prime time show was stupid either way!

If he stays, he'll look like an attention whore, he could have announced he was staying months ago.

Not to mention he'll look like a scared little b*tch, because the Knicks are offering so much more, the Bulls too for that matter.

If he goes, he'll look bad for breaking his hometown's heart on national TV.

Not following you..how does it make him scared to not want to play for the Knicks?

Not following you..how does it make him scared to not want to play for the Knicks?
The Knicks showed him not only how he would make a Billion dollars in NY, but also how they could put the best players around him.

They are in the best position to sign max contracts again next year, and are willing to pay the luxury tax if necessary to put together a dynasty.

I don't see where else he would have these options, so if he's not scared of the pressure then tell me what it is?

Can't front, I'm getting hyped up with the possibility that LBJ will be a Knick. That pick n roll with Stoudemire will be SICK!
Me too, I hope he comes!

Francessa, (for what it's worth) just said he has not heard anything from MSG, but that all of the underground talk from everyone including players is that LBJ is coming to the Knicks.

He said that does not mean it will happen, but that's what the buzz is and that there will be allot more.

He also said that the announcement coming from CT has not been verified by ESPN.

Melo's wedding is this Saturday in NYC... only makes sense for LeBron to come to the area, perhaps for a bach party on Friday.

People may be reading a bit much into this as an indication of something meaningful...

I can't buy into this last minute hype. I feel like we're getting set up for being bent over the table and rammed.

http://www.theknicksblog.com/

J-Will has News

By Tommy Dee on Jul 07, 2010, 6:25 pm

Althea1_normal.jpg RealJayWilliams

Jay Williams

@RealJayWilliams: I am going to say this. I just heard from a little bird in his camp, King James and Spike Lee will be seeing a lot of each other next yr.

Jul 7, 2010 @ 10:15 PM from [url=http://www.ubertwitter.com/bb/download.php]

Melo's wedding is this Saturday in NYC... only makes sense for LeBron to come to the area, perhaps for a bach party on Friday.

People may be reading a bit much into this as an indication of something meaningful...

I read that as well

now I don't know what to think

There is no way LeBron is going to any place else but the Knicks. He's doing this announcement 12 miles from the Knicks training facility, right in the area of where the Knicks/Rangers use to fly out/in. This just makes too much sense. He isn't going to Connecticut to announce he's going to be playing in Cleveland, Chicago, or Miami, and the Nets did nothing to convince him they have the pieces around him. The Knicks went out and got a top tier Power Foward. He is going to be a Knick. Time for us Knicks fans to start celebrating, break out the champagne. :yes:

This improves the Knicks but still a long way from being a good team yet.

Knicks aren't done making moves. If Lebron announces he's staying in Cleveland or going to join Boozer in Chicago this is what will happen:

Knicks resign Lee. Knicks let Curry's contract ($11.3 mil) expire and come off the books next off-season and subsequently use that cap space on either Carmelo or Kevin Durant. Probably Carmelo comes here.

For those people saying the Knicks need a PG. Looks like Toney Douglas is starting next season and he's actually a good up and coming player. Knicks might be able to snatch Rubio from Minnesota but idiot David Kahn is probably demanding that we also take Al Jefferson's horrendous contract. No thank you.

[url=

Knicks aren't done making moves. If Lebron announces he's staying in Cleveland or going to join Boozer in Chicago this is what will happen:

Knicks resign Lee. Knicks let Curry's contract ($11.3 mil) expire and come off the books next off-season and subsequently use that cap space on either Carmelo or Kevin Durant. Probably Carmelo comes here.

For those people saying the Knicks need a PG. Looks like Toney Douglas is starting next season and he's actually a good up and coming player. Knicks might be able to snatch Rubio from Minnesota but idiot David Kahn is probably demanding that we also take Al Jefferson's horrendous contract. No thank you.

[url=

Durant signed an extension today.

Bossip.com Worldwide Exclusive: Sources Say Lebron James Is Going To The New York Knicks

Lebron James is signing with the New York Knicks. Sources close to Jay-Z and Lebron James exclusively tell Bossip.com tonight that Lebron James will announce he is signing with the New York Knicks.

Multiple sources tell Bossip that Lebron will be announcing his decision to sign with the New York Knicks at the Boys and Girls Club in Greenwich Connecticut tomorrow evening.

However, due to Bossip’s worldwide exclusive, the cat is already out of the bag.

Our sources would not disclose details of the deal but say “Lebron is very happy to go to an international media market and at the end of the day, he wants to be a billionaire and felt this was the right business move.”

One source says privately that winning a NBA championship “was not Lebron’s primary consideration” in choosing the Knicks.

Our sources say Lebron’s good friend Jay-Z apparently wasn’t able to close the deal but understands Lebron’s business decision.

LBJ.png

Lee for Anthony Randolph's supposedly a go if Lebron falls through. Which would be ****ing awesome. Randolph would be fantastic in D'Antoni's system.

I'm not familiar with Randolph. Is there a player from the 80's-90's that you can compare him to? I was so disgusted with Layden, Thomas, etc that I went from watching 82 games a year to 0.

*If* LBJ signs with the Heat, the guy is a JOKE! It's called "Wade county" for a reason.
I agree, it shows he feels he needs to play 2nd fiddle to get a ring.

Plus it would be bad for the league and his brand.

Looks like we will either love him or hate him. :shutit:

I agree, it shows he feels he needs to play 2nd fiddle to get a ring.

Plus it would be bad for the league and his brand.

Looks like we will either love him or hate him. :shutit:

I believe it's a ploy to drive up the rating for tonight's 'special', I can't picture LBJ playing Robin.

*If* LBJ signs with the Heat, the guy is a JOKE! It's called "Wade county" for a reason.

Agree... it would be a parallel to his performance in Game 6 against the Celtics, when he was dumping the ball down low to Shaq when they were down by double-digits, instead of taking it over himself.

I'm not familiar with Randolph. Is there a player from the 80's-90's that you can compare him to? I was so disgusted with Layden, Thomas, etc that I went from watching 82 games a year to 0.

80's-90's is tough because he's a tweener-SF. Best I can say is Tayshaun Prince or Odom even in terms of a skill-set. But he's only 20 and his talent's absolutely through the roof. Attitude's been a concern but who knows with Nelson out in GS right now...he has a ton of work to do on his game but the sky really is the limit if he polishes his jump shot and bulks up because he's still too light to guard most PF's and he's not experienced enough yet to guard SF's. However if there's one thing that D'Antoni has a fantastic track record in terms of development in, it's bringing along players like this (Diaw, Barbosa, Bell), and he's twice as talented as any of them.

Archived