Should #80 Be Retired?

flgreen

Jets Flight Numbers 80

943_tiny.gif by dvdvil on Jul 1, 2010 6:00 AM EDT comment.v1599.png 1 comment

WR Wayne Chrebet has owned this number from 1995-2005. Little Wayne (not to be confused with this guy) wore #3 in college (Hofstra), where that number has been retired for him. He wore #3 with the Jets in 1995 during the pre-season, when the NFL relaxes the numbering rules because teams have bigger rosters before final cuts.

As a rookie, players and coaches simply referred to him as "that kid", but he would later become "Mr. Third Down" in New York. Opposing teams knew the ball would be coming to him in that situation, but they still couldn't stop it. Wayne made his living by taking the big hit in the middle and holding on to the ball. It was exactly in this situation in which he made his last catch in the NFL in November 2005, sustaining a concussion which would force him to retire.

Also known as "The Green Lantern", Wayne served as an inspiration to many who were fans of Gang Green, and to some who weren't. He grew up close to the stadium in Garfield, New Jersey and attended Hofstra University in Long Island. I can never truly hate former HC Rich Kotite because he allowed players to walk into the Jets training camp and try out. One of those was Wayne, who started at the very bottom of the depth chart. Security stopped him at the gate on his first day, dubious that he actually made the squad.

More on #80 past and present after the jump.

star-divide.v5547.jpg

Here is a video profile on Chrebet from 1997:

Wayne never made it to any Pro Bowls, but he was always dependable, sacrificing his health for the team. He has worn the number #80 for 11 years, the most of any Jets player. The second-longest period somebody held this same number was 7 years. The team hasn't issued the number since Wayne stopped playing. The Jets have given the fans "Wayne Chrebet Day" but never did retire the jersey officially.

Here is where Wayne stands with the team and in the NFL. Unfortunately, I couldn't find stats focusing on third downs only, so if anyone has them, I would really appreciate it.

CAREER RECEPTIONS - 580. WR Jerry Rice has the most in the NFL (1,549), WR Keyshawn Johnson has the most for a former Jet (814), WR Don Maynard has the most in a Jets uniform (627). Wayne is 2nd in the team and 66th in the NFL.

CAREER RECEIVING YARDS - 7365. Rice again has the most in the NFL (22,895), Maynard has the most for a former Jet (11,834) and in a Jet uniform (11,732). Wayne is 3rd in the team and 97th in the NFL. WR Wesley Walker is 2nd in the team with 8,306.

CAREER RECEIVING TDs - 41. Rice has the most in the NFL (197), Maynard's 88 is is the most for a former Jet and in a Jet uniform. Wayne is 3rd in the team and tied for 158th in the NFL. Walker is 2nd in the team with 71.

In 2002, Wayne had 9 touchdown catches, tied for 5th in the league for that year.

CAREER YARDS FROM SCRIMMAGE - 7,363. Rice has the most (23,540). At 7th and with the most for a former Jet is RB Curtis Martin (17,430), who also has the most in a Jet uniform (12,741). Wayne is 200th in the NFL.

CAREER YARDS PER TOUCH - 12.2. Former Jets RB Michael Bates has the most at 23.0. Walker has the most in a Jet uniform at 18.8, tied for 6th in the NFL. Wayne is 198th in the league.

GAMES PLAYED WITH A RECEPTION - 152. Wayne is 5th in the team, behind Maynard (172), WR Jerome Barkum (158), TE Mickey Shuler (154) and Walker (154).

Here are the players who have previously worn the number #80 for the Jets:

1993-94 TE James Thornton

1990-92 TE Mark Boyer

1989 TE Greg Werner

1988 TE K.D. Dunn

1980-85 WR Lam Jones

1979 WR Roger Farmer

1978 WR Kevin Bell

1976 WR Howard Satterwhite

1967-73 DT John Eliott (not to be confused with this guy)

1966 DE Bob Werl

1964 WR Jim Evans

1962 WR Perry Richards (New York Titans)

1960-61 E Dave Ross (New York Titans)

So, what do you say, Gang Green Nation, is "Wayne Chrebet Day" and the non-issue of his jersey number enough for you? Or do you think the New York Jets should officially retire #80? Does he need to have the best numbers, or does his long tenure, courage, resilience and inspiring story earn him a permanent place in team history?

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2010/7/1/1542145/jets-flight-numbers-80

Not a chance. Hey, this is what happens when a team (like the Jets) have very few players in the HOF...it's a joke that we only have two, but that's a topic for another thread. We start looking at players that yeah, they were pretty damn good with us, but to have his number retired? Let's leave that for our HOF players and borderline HOF players which Chrebet wasn't.

I don't think they should retire #80 but they should create a "Circle of Honor" or "Jets Hall of Fame" in their stadium like some other teams do to honor their all-time great franchise guys.

Jets who I believe should be included in the COH or Jets HOF are:

Joe Namath

Don Maynard

Weeb Ewbank

Freeman McNeil

Joe Klecko

Mark Gastinieau

Marvin Powell

Winston Hill

Curtis Martin

Wesley Walker

Wayne Chrebet

Mickey Shuler

Kevin Mawae

Randy Rasmussen

John Elliott

Gerry Philbin

Larry Grantham

Mo Lewis

I'm sure there are a few others I've missed.

100% yes. I don't need stats to tell me what a true Jet is. Nobody should ever wear the number of one of the most courageous Jets players of all time. I get teary-eyed to this day watching this dude fly over the middle catching passes.

Not a chance. Hey, this is what happens when a team (like the Jets) have very few players in the HOF...it's a joke that we only have two, but that's a topic for another thread. We start looking at players that yeah, they were pretty damn good with us, but to have his number retired? Let's leave that for our HOF players and borderline HOF players which Chrebet wasn't.

The Cowboys have no numbers retired.. If it was up to some Jet fans we wouldn't have a number left..:cheers:

Chrebet was a very good player that was part of 2 AFCE Division titles and 4 playoff appearances during his career.

I understand some fans wanting to retire his number as he was a local kid, gutsy, fearless, etc but if I was a Jets fan I would want to see Joe Klecko in Canton before #80 is retired.

I don't think they should retire #80 but they should create a "Circle of Honor" or "Jets Hall of Fame" in their stadium like some other teams do to honor their all-time great franchise guys.

Jets who I believe should be included in the COH or Jets HOF are:

Joe Namath

Don Maynard

Weeb Ewbank

Freeman McNeil

Joe Klecko

Mark Gastinieau

Marvin Powell

Winston Hill

Curtis Martin

Wesley Walker

Wayne Chrebet

Mickey Shuler

Kevin Mawae

Randy Rasmussen

John Elliott

Gerry Philbin

Larry Grantham

Mo Lewis

I'm sure there are a few others I've missed.

They are getting one of them at the new stadium. They announced Winston Hill was going in at the Dolphin game in November.

The number isn't but thank goodness the compiler is.. Yeah they won't give it out anymore hoping Cumar gets in the HOF going against Faulk and Bettis it should be interesting..

Curtis has 14,101 yds, 90 TD's, 4.0 yds per attempt, and 83.9 yds per game in 11 seasons. Bettis has 13,662 yds, 91 TD's, 3.9 yds per attempt, and 71.2 yds per game in 13 seasons.

I think Curtis goes in first because he leads him in almost every category even though he played two fewer years.

Curtis has 14,101 yds, 90 TD's, 4.0 yds per attempt, and 83.9 yds per game in 11 seasons. Bettis has 13,662 yds, 91 TD's, 3.9 yds per attempt, and 71.2 yds per game in 13 seasons.

I think Curtis goes in first because he leads him in almost every category even though he played two fewer years.

Neither Bettis or Curtis belong but they were both good guys so they probably both go. If either goes first ballot it's a joke.

The HOF has to many very good players not to few. Both were very good and in the Hall of very good should go in but not in the first few years. Neither were near the best Running back in the league during their carriers.

Neither Bettis or Curtis belong but they were both good guys so they probably both go. If either goes first ballot it's a joke.

The HOF has to many very good players not to few. Both were very good and in the Hall of very good should go in but not in the first few years. Neither were near the best Running back in the league during their carriers.

Curtis certainly belongs ahead of Bettis, there are many worse players in the hall than Curtis so he definitely belongs. The Hall should be for the best of the best but they have let in undeserving players for years, Curtis belongs alot more than guys like Art Monk- a true compiler.

Curtis certainly belongs ahead of Bettis, there are many worse players in the hall than Curtis so he definitely belongs. The Hall should be for the best of the best but they have let in undeserving players for years, Curtis belongs alot more than guys like Art Monk- a true compiler.

Agreed Art Monk shouldn't be in the HOF either. I wouldn't put Bettis in ahead of Curtis either.

Art Monk was one of the most painfully bad HOF picks of recent years. I don't think there was a single year where he was a top 10 WR in the NFL and now he's in the HOF? I don't mean top 10 in stats, I mean just being a top 10 in ability.

How does Curtis not belong? He got to 4th all time in rushing yards in eleven years, if not for his knee going in 05, he could have been #1 by now. He's also one of just three players (Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders) to rush for 1,000 yards in ten consecutive seasons. He should be a first ballot Hall of Famer. You could make the argument that Bettis doesn't belong though.

How does Curtis not belong? He got to 4th all time in rushing yards in eleven years, if not for his knee going in 05, he could have been #1 by now. He's also one of just three players (Emmitt Smith and Barry Sanders) to rush for 1,000 yards in ten consecutive seasons. He should be a first ballot Hall of Famer. You could make the argument that Bettis doesn't belong though.

Being very good and durable doesn't make you great it makes you very good and durable. Curtis Martin is very comparable to Harry Carson who made 9 straight pro bowl appearances was an outstanding linebacker and had to wait years to get in. Taylor who was an all time great is a first ballot HOF, Jim Brown is a first ballot running back. Curtis Martin was very good and durable. The HOF is litered with guys who waited years to get in who were very good and very durable.

Archived